Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

Should probably add a "If you're in it just for the robots or toys toys" reccomendation for build fighters.

Build Fighters is also a generally solid lighthearted kid's tournament show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

I partially agree, but many have told me it was their first and they enjoyed it.

Knowing the history of the series helps, but you don't need to be a Gundam buff to enjoy Turn A. Personally, I think it's really silly when some people recommend watching every pre-1999 Gundam before Turn A when the links amount to a few visual cameos and playing some random clips from previous shows during the broadcast from the Winter Palace.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 12, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

In fairness, it has a larger thematic meaning. The dark history functions on both a commentary on the nature of war and a metacommentary on the gundam franchise in itself, and you won't get the second thing if you haven't seen enough gundam. With that said though, that's hardly necessary to enjoy the show.

Certainly, I just don't want to risk discouraging people who think that Turn A sounds interesting, but isn't up to watching two decades of prior anime as prep.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NotALizardman posted:

I watched it because I was a really retarded kid.

I think I watched it too, but I can't remember a drat thing about it. I think the goofy villain squad was a bunch of Zakus?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

SD Gundam Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors is a CGI series retelling the story of The Romance of the The Three Kingdoms with all the characters played by living SD Gundams

Superior Defender Gundam Force was a CGI series made for the North American market I don't think anybody ever watched

There's also Mobile Suit SD Gundam, which is unrelated to the "sentient Gundams with huge eyes" stuff and is instead a gag OVA about SD versions of various Gundam characters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

so I went to youtube to check it out and well, it's certainly A Thing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Gundam

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKqs1JLDbp4

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1m3tEj2JzI

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Namtab posted:

I uh.... I disagree with you

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I really like that The Origin was like "hey guys we got a custom GM that is basically a very slightly stripped down Gundam, who gets it?" and everyone just pointed at Sayla.

It sounds kind of fanfictiony until you watch the original Gundam and realize that Sayla seriously has the highest kill count out of anyone not named Amuro on the White Base.

Plus everyone's generally a lot cooler in The Origin. Well, in their own way. I love Bright always looking this close to having a breakdown from all the poo poo getting dropped on his lap from both inside and outside WB.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

found this on twitter

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Parallax posted:

boomboomboom: first three minutes of Gundam Thunderbolt are out
boomboomboom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Trb5wCvlw
boomboomboom: pass it on
boomboomboom: I can't remember if I already told you, sorry if so.
Parallax: will i get good luck if i do
boomboomboom: yes
boomboomboom: it's already been posted in the chat thread, but not the Gundam thread, the IBO thread, the Winter anime thread or the Mecha thread

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That Garma screen is pretty great since from what I recall, it's a faction that arises when you (Ghiren) play your "massive shithead" hand too early and flagrantly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Curves>Spikes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dangerous Person posted:

I really like G Gundam but I've never seen any of his other work. Give me some recommendations.

:siren:GIANT ROBO:siren:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah, well G Gundam actually has a satisfying conclusion.

Getter Robo Armageddon got its plot completely derailed after episode 3 (when he left), Shin Mazinger ends with a giant dickpunch of a cliffhanger, and Giant Robo was apparently supposed to be continued but plans fell through or something.
Shin Mazinger's is great because it is the full story of Z. :v:
And while GR had plans for potential further installments, it tells its own story just fine.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sorry, but I just think it's a little tiring to hear curdistan jump in every time about how every gundam design is poo poo and how [suit] is so "elegant and simple". It just seems like another way of saying boring, and needlessly inflammatory for a thread about said gundams.

Gundam as a franchise is about a whole lot more than Gundams themselves, and while I like them, I've seen plenty of fans that aren't big on conventional Gundam designs.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

playing with .webms and converting old videos I'd downloaded
https://jii.moe/NkoQfnude.webm
(open in a new tab and unmute)

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 20, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oohhboy posted:

I find Tomino takes the Darkness too far rather than that he is good at comedy. It's not that he is bad at comedy, contrasted things like Zeta, it had no where to go but up.

I've no idea what you're tying to say here man.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oohhboy posted:

You guys worship Tomino too much.

I've only watched like two and a quarter Tomino shows.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oohhboy posted:

I am talking about the guys who got angryannoyed when I said they had a tendency to oversell the hell out of (Everything)Turn A which they did.

Quite a few of the regular of the "Defend Tomino to the death" guys have shown up. Look what 2 1/2 sentences got me. Next thing we know the thread gets frozen again. Fanboys are the worse.

I think you're overreacting a bit to people trying to discuss things with you, and your caustic rhetoric really doesn't help.

e: like c'mon dude, you called boom a liar for having a different opinion on Reconguista.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 17, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kanos posted:

I laughed my rear end off at RE:0096 having the Neo Zeong in the goddamn opening. This is supposed to serve to introduce the show to a new audience who aren't necessarily crazy OVA-buying Gundam fans, isn't it?

I dunno, but I doubt most people would care about being "spoiled" that the antagonist in a big red suit gets a bigger red suit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oohhboy posted:

I figured it more as an intuition thing. Like in sports or multiplayer games you intuitively read the others actions, getting information you wouldn't have otherwise gotten. Or how people naturally pickup emotions. When playing a FPS sometimes you get a feeling and spin around 180 degrees nailing the guy in the head. From movement and play style you can identify who that player is. That is what is happening when they get that buzz.

So gently caress no, he isn't a loving Newtype.

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Real/Super is a silly categorization system.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If you don't like Giant Robo you're a loser.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/RyougaSaotome/status/727956354699296768

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Begemot posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole "people always chime and say Turn A is good, that means it's actually bad!" thing.

If you disagree with me you're a desperate defense force cowering in the face of my objective truths.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah. There's free Barbados DLC until the end of the month, but it only shows up when I'm playing on my Asian account.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xinder posted:

I don't remember ever seeing enough to make me adequately dislike Garma, or especially his girlfriend who I think I recall dying when she fainted and fell off a plane?

Char murdered Garma before he was really explored as a character so I hadn't even developed an opinion on him. I guess from what I remember, he seemed like a pretty okay guy. For a Zabi.

Garma's meant to be pitiable, if anything. Maybe somewhat haughty and spoiled, but point's that Char would murder even a good friend for the sake of revenge.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 24, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's hard to top decapitating someone with a rocket, but "Blame the misfortune of your birth" is still a pretty rad line.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Then, of course, because he's a drat dirty Zabi, he went into a spiral of self justification to explain why it's totally okay to keep going, and it wasn't that wrong, and really, it's their fault.

That's a just a people thing, really.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

That's what's good about The Origin and 0079 though. It's willing to paint its villains as people that do horrible things, and not demons straight out of hell to kill our heroes.

Contrast that to even a good movie like Saving Private Ryan.

Ghiren gets close.

e: But yeah, even the dude designed to look like your Old Evil Emperor is an unscrupulous opportunist who's cold to the impacts of his actions until they finally come home, which gets him to fold pretty quickly.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 24, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

A place he earned it by betraying a sad, worn out old man who'd gotten to the point where all he wanted was the bloodshed to stop. The man he'd die alongside once the terms finally looked good enough.

Funny old world.

tbf at that point Degwin's using flowery language to ask the Federation to surrender after he'd killed half of Earth's population. plus upon witnessing Revil's speech he's incensed and yells at Garma to kill those earth fuckers good.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 24, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

suggestion: watch something you'll like rather than doing homework to add to a decade of "boy, SEED sure was bad"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bear witness to the driving tradition of the middle ages!
https://twitter.com/HistoryImg/status/735402708052541440

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

Age is a bad show but unicorn is very specifically a bad gundam because it parrots the iconography and themes of gundam as a group of works in a really asinine way while bringing nothing new to the table, relying entirely on bang-zoom superficial action and Ready Player One style pavlovian nostalgia triggers while utterly failing to actually say anything.

that also applies to AGE to some extent from what I saw

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's not much context to get, IBO is standalone and Reco's connection to UC is summed up early on: "lots of war happened in the past and hosed the earth".

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

I don't doubt it, but I also ditched age pretty early whereas I followed unicorn to the bitter end. I have a more subjective hate for unicorn specifically because its much more polished presentation can sucker people into thinking it has any merits aside from production value, since the whole ordeal is very obviously designed to distract the viewer with flashy action so they don't realize that the entire underlying structure is hollow.

Age is, on the other hand, very clear upfront that it's gonna be a total shitshow so even people trying to defend it give up.

You can disagree with them, but it's pretty stuck up to think that anybody that liked Unicorn was tricked into doing so.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Patter Song posted:

I wasn't sure whether I liked or hated that Loran had no idea of how to do anything with the Turn A Gundam. He just sort of blunders around and relies on the Turn A's near-invincibility to give him time to blunder into a solution. I suppose it's a nice contrast to, say, Gundam Wing's Heero Yuy's tiresome hypercompetence and terribly smug resulting attitude.

I like it, since it ties into Turn A's general theme of few involved really understanding the gravity of war or even how to fight; even the most trained members of the Moonrace know only training exercises.

My favorite example (spoilering for Waffleman's sake because it's a pretty great moment) is Gym being dogshit with that sword he carried around all the time, getting stomped by a guy who's only touched one once before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Greedo Slipped And Made Han's Gun Go Off