Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Snowman Crossing posted:

I voted straight Democrat for the first decade of my voting history. Then a few years ago I took up recreational shooting on a whim.

Gunlording is now my favorite hobby. As a white thirty-something living in the suburbs, I have come to the realization that there is no reason for me to not vote Republican. Sure, they are wrong about everything, but most of them are committed to blocking gun control motions, and that means my favorite hobby stays safe. None of their other terrible policies are going to dramatically effect a privileged white male like me. I'll still be able to watch football, listen to metal, plus I can own bad rear end guns. I'm not pretending that it isn't completely lovely, but no, it's not a fig leaf either.

lmao I thought this was a fakepost until the end, what a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Snowman Crossing posted:

I'm comfortable with putting it out there because, as someone who is indifferent to the human cost of a bustling domestic firearms industry, I couldn't care less about the moral judgment of your average fedora-wearing goon.

:dukedog:

You shouldn't care what I think, you should care about the well being of the people you admitted the republicans are hurting directly.

Admitting you're a bad person doesn't make it OK to be a bad person. You don't even have the excuse of being delusional.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

The part I don't like is the poster suggesting regular inspections of a person's home to ensure that they are complying with proper firearms storage. It sounds like a quick way around the 4th Amendment protection against unreasonable searches.

I don't think verifying you aren't using a loaded hand gun in a baby mobile is "unreasonable."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Driving a motor vehicle on public roads while impaired puts other people in imminent danger. Owning an AR-15 does not. Pointing an AR-15 at other people does, which is why it's also illegal in most jurisdictions.

Owning an AR-15 is very dangerous. Anybody suicidal with access to it has a much better chance of successfully killing themselves than if they didn't have access to a gun. This would mean that having a gun in your house makes it much more likely for someone who lives there to kill themselves, so you're also forcing people who aren't you to take a risk, potentially against their wishes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

That still doesn't constitute an imminent danger the way that drunk driving or pointing a gun at people does. Unless you're saying there's some sort of affirmative legal duty to suicide-proof your house against potential future suicidal people. I can't really parse you second point; if you had a roommate who didn't like being in the same house as guns, couldn't they always move out?

It's not as imminently dangerous but there's a reason the "responsible" method of owning a gun is having it secured inside a safe, so people don't have easy access to it. People not only have children, but also sometimes don't have the luxury of moving.

It's also not an argument that the individual should be held liable if someone commits suicide, but an argument that the government has a vested interest in regulating guns to keep people safe because gun owners can't be trusted to be responsible on their own.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LeJackal posted:

Thanks for reminding us that gun-control advocates seek a return to rule by the strong and all related barbarism.

This would be a relevant point except gun owners are overwhelmingly the white men. Not exactly the equalizer you're pretending they are.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The police as an institution are also violent cowards who should have their access to guns restricted, yes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

So the mark of a great man is to be a victim and let others be victimized. Great idea Dave. The gun being the great equalizer is actually the best part of it, because it allows grandma to fight off a home invader, or a literal child to defend his home against burglars. The weak should fear the strong I guess?

Or let the strong shoot babies.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/06/19/whitehall-officer-involved-shooting.html

We can post anecdotes at each other all day long but again gun owners are largely white men who as a group are already the "strongest."

Edit: we could also improve the lives of the poor so they don't resort to crime, but I'm guessing you don't actually give a poo poo and are just happy to have more ammo to secure your right to own guns

Lemming fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 13, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

I'm pretty sure no one considers a cop shooting a dog and hitting a kid an example of a good gun owner. What is it with cops and shooting every dog they see anyways?

Actually it would be fantastic if we improved the lives of the poor - something that would actually reduce crime, rather than punish regular law-abiding gun owners and invent possession crimes for them to commit. Why not devote time and money toward the former rather than the latter?

I agree it's not a good move politically because people like you exist. I think it's more helpful to focus on other things in the short term. I still absolutely support more gun control, which is what we're discussing here, in the gun control thread.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

My goal is to see gun control gone as a political plank so we can focus on more effective solutions to reducing overall crime, rather than farting around in circles about guns. If your end goal with gun control is to punish the racist redneck strawman in your head, I don't think we'll see eye to eye on it.

Why do you think gun control is about punishment? Even if reducing easy access to guns combined with oversight and monitoring of people who owned guns did literally nothing to the violent crime rate, reducing access to guns would save the lives of many suicidal people. The love white men have for their toys is less important to me than people's lives.

It just sucks that we can't help those people by reducing their easy access to the guns that are irresponsibly strewn around everywhere.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Lmao if that actually happened you would hand over all your guns with no fuss, as you are most certainly in the overwhelming majority of gun owners who are huge cowards.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Snowman Crossing posted:

Of course. Even the "cold dead hands" crowd, probably. But some are ideologically bound and would die on that hill.

"Cowardly to not die for stupid causes," says the goon. :lol:

Not dying for your guns doesn't make you a coward, but it is what a coward would do.

As is making other people die for their guns, which they do a lot.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

-Troika- posted:

Actually Australia already tried this and they didn't get all, or even the majority, of people's guns. Turns out a lot of people would rather just keep their guns and not tell anyone, or bury them out in the desert, or whatever, rather than hand them over.

Yes, they'd rather hide or give in than do the violent uprising fantasy that was being alluded to.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

So I should just throw up my hands and empty out my safe and say "oh well, such is the cost of progress!"? When a dog shits on the floor, you tell it no. I'm telling your dog no. Try thinking independently a bit, instead of blindly following the party line.

various cheeses posted:

A safe is a tough buy if you're poor. I think the poor should have equal opportunity in exercising their rights. Of course, if you can afford one you should certainly put your guns in there. I sure as hell do.
Background checks are fine, and should be strengthened tbh.
Regular training/education is great too. Why not stick it in schools alongside sex ed - another thing people are stupid as hell about.

...by voting for the party that's explicitly trying to restrict the poor and minorities from exercising their legal rights to things like voting and abortion, both of which are immeasurably more important than buy a dangerous toy.

Please stop pretending you give a poo poo about the poor. Just admit you are a selfish rear end in a top hat and don't give a poo poo about them, so you're voting R. Stop arguing in bad faith.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

I simply don't believe you're posting in good faith anymore, like half of the posters on any given gunchat page support that view, you yourself conceded that many major politicians do but can't because its "not politically viable". Why the gently caress do you think its not politically viable?

Amending the constitution is really hard, I think you've pointed that out yourself numerous times.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

I'll vote for democrats again when they pull their heads out of their asses on gun control. It's literally that simple. Make it happen folks.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm saying that you earlier made the argument that you think "the poor should have an equal opportunity in exercising their rights." You clearly don't really believe that, though, because you're willing to vote for the party that has already and continues to violate their rights in a non-hypothetical way, because of your pet issue. I'm calling you out on that.

If you're going to argue for no gun control, at least be honest with us. "I care about having literally zero restrictions or impositions in any way on owning and using my shiny metal toy over the right of others to vote and the right of women to have control over their own bodies."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Snowman Crossing posted:

The best part of all of this is I get to negate the vote of someone who is probably supremely well-informed, has the best interests of the public in mind, and supports righteous progressive policies like single-payer healthcare and education subsidies, simply because their party won't drop gun control as a platform.

If I can't have thirty round magazines, nobody gets to have nice things. Go gently caress yourselves. :)

You're one of the better gun posters here because this is the kind of vile poo poo that they normally try to hide or disguise or dog-whistle. People reading this thread and think "jesus christ, what is wrong with this guy?" and it makes them a little more progressive. Thanks.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

I think the anti-abortion crowd is just as lovely as the anti-gun crowd. The problem is that the democrats were there, they were so close to putting gun control to rest, but unfortunately they went full retard and are pushing it again. Also I never said there should be zero restrictions or impositions, there absolutely should be, just not to the level you want them. I get that it doesn't affect you in any way, but it affects me - so I'm not going to vote for it until they give up.

Right, you believe that making sure nobody passes any laws you personally deem too odious regulating your gun owning is more important than the right to vote of the poor and minorities and the right of women to have control over their own bodies. That's the only point I'm making, not that you wouldn't vote D if they dropped gun control.

Edit: Amended first half of the statement

Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 13, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Damnit, I'm sorry.

It's too late! You already hurt his feelings. He's voting R now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

meristem posted:

One thing I'm interested about. All the talk about closing the gun show loopholes, better background checks and whatnot... this would only potentially affect new sales. What legal means are and/or should be open to people who want to protect themselves, or others, from someone who already has guns, but has only recently become aggressive? Shouldn't this issue to talked about as well?

My guess is that it's a lot easier to regulate people getting new guns than regulate what people already have, so you go for the low hanging fruit first. Of course, in this case the low hanging fruit is being circled by a rabid dog, but, well.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

You mean other then being pro-choice, pro gay marriage, and having our republican governor pass the first universal healthcare law in the country? If you don't realize that local parties are vastly different from national parties that I don't know why the gently caress you think you're even qualified to comment on politics.

I mean gently caress, the majority of state republicans voted for gay marriage back in 2007

That was in an overwhelmingly democratic state, so a pretty different situation. States that are overwhelmingly controlled by Republicans look basically like you would expect them to, ie Kansas.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PCOS Bill posted:

Like when George Zimmerman, a Hispanic, defended himself against a black attacker and suddenly he was an evil racist despite years of proof that he wasn't a racist.

https://twitter.com/TherealGeorgeZ/status/639437773980758016

Not racist.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Someone should really shoot that guy.

He did get in a gun fight, or maybe a gun standoff recently, I don't remember exactly. Either way, almost!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

Did you really just say I should try to create a safer environment for a robber?

Not confronting them is also safer for you, numb nuts.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

Stealing is wrong because you're depriving someone else of the poo poo they worked for. The prospect of getting killed is added incentive not to do so.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/12/montana-homeowner-prison-killing-teen-trespasser/23309195/

Why did they let you get internet access?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

If that guy is supposed to be your gotcha then lol. That guy is an absolute piece of poo poo and deserves to be removed from society and does not represent me at all. I don't leave my house unlocked like bait in a trap. I'm minding my own business in my locked home, not lying in wait like a trapdoor spider.

I mean yeah no wonder you think all gun owners are bloodthirsty murderers if you only read news stories like that.

I don't think they're bloodthirsty murderers, generally, I think they're largely cowards with fantasies of getting to kill someone, since it makes them feel strong.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you really don't want to get robbed it'd be more effective to lock your door and do the window bar thing and then tape labeled keys to your neighbor's houses on the door.

Edit: Or burn your house down and live naked under a bridge

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Isn't the issue of "gun control" more of a cultural one over what the socially response to fear and sensationalism should be? All mortality in the United States is about 820 people per 100,000 every year, representing an average life span of 78.8 years - the longest its ever been.

Gun deaths comprise about 6 of those 820 people, or less than one percent. Heart disease and cancer alone killed over 1,200,000 people last year. Firearm-related homicide is statistically insignificant. Further, 40% of firearms used in firearm violence are obtained illegally anyways, so what you're talking about is optimistically maybe reducing that 6 per 100,000 down to 4? Thats why I suggest that its a cultural issue more than a practical one. Basically every word and every penny spent on "gun control" is wasted in terms of impact, when there are other more efficient ways to improve the health and welfare of society.

First, I think that "gun control" is easy: bad man shoot gun, take away gun. Its much simpler for our animal brains to emote over a single causal link than it is to devote energy to fettering out and understanding underlying issues. There's a significant racial and socio-economic component to gun violence that gets muted because its socially unpopular to mention, but African Americans commit firearm homicide at a 300% greater rate than all other racial groups combined, accounting for ~60% of all gun deaths, despite only accounting for ~20% of the population. Its the sensational news stories about mass shootings that cause people to react, because its so concentrated and horrific, but its hard to think day-in and day-out about the poverty and educational shortcomings that feed the culture of lawlessness and violence, or how a greater number youths were gunned down in the streets during the two days leading up to [latest mass shooting] than were killed at that event. So, people wait for another social media trend, emote, tweet, and post their heart out for three weeks and then move on again. Bad man shot gun because... is too complicated for a movement.

Second, I think "gun control" is easy profiling; lots of old conservative white people seem to like guns, and we don't like old conservative white people, so we don't like guns. Anybody who likes guns is stupid and dumb, and now I have an easy little box to put people in so I don't have to think so hard about the nuance of their beliefs and cultural ideals. Just toss him into the racist/sexist/bigot bin with all the rest of them, and pat yourself on the back for having dismissed them so quickly.

Third, I think the emphasis (whether its shifted, or whether its always been there) is on "caring" far more than "understanding." It seems way more important to emote correctly about an issue than it does to seek rational comprehension and appreciation of all the sides of it. Its decidedly [Not Ok] to say, "I can understand why some people would like guns." or to say, "yeah, but what would gun control look like and what would that really solve?" because those sentiments put rationality before #ALLLIVESMATTER.

This is my effort post, there are many like it but this one is mine.

Almost twice as many people commit suicide with guns every year compared to homicide with guns, and your entire post ignores that completely. If gun control were instituted only for the sake of those people, it would be worth it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

same, but for abortion

Yeah, making it harder to do something makes it harder to do something.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I like how the gun nuts here mostly say they're for reasonable gun control measures and how 92% of gun owners think universal background checks should be a thing (http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2057), and then someone comes in talking about how they sell and give away guns to randos and their response is "im cumming"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

JohnGalt posted:

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize one had to be the 'right' mind of minority. I guess it's okay to disproportionately limit the rights of minorities as long as you can convince them that it's for their own good.

Even accepting your premise that liberals are trying and failing to curb the rights of minorities to own guns, why is that more important than how Republicans are literally today succeeding at curbing the rights of minorities to vote?

Like, if both are bad, one has to be worse, and not being able to vote is objectively worse than not being able to own a gun.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

JohnGalt posted:

Good thing the right to vote and the right to bear armalites are not mutually exclusive.

Right, but in your fantasy scenario, voting for Democrats will take away the right of minorities to bear arms, compared to real life, where Republicans are taking away the right of minorities to vote.

So even taking your lovely argument at face value, voting for Democrats is still the right thing to do.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

Wait I'm confused, did only the son commit suicide in the story? I kept seeing wife/son and wasn't sure if it was two suicides, or like an interchangeable person for the purposes of the thread.

#1 thing they did wrong was leaving the gun in a place where the kid has access to it. That poo poo goes in the safe when unattended specifically to avoid this type of thing and also theft. My state actually has a law making it illegal to leave a gun somewhere a minor could gain access to it. No idea how often it gets enforced or obeyed though. Also, why didn't he talk to his wife, or get her help for depression, or just lock up his gun?

He could also have not had a gun in the house. No risk and all of the upside.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bidikyoopi posted:

Regarding amount of Tylenol per bottle, I'd like to see a study that supports what you're saying. You can absolutely still buy tubs of Tylenol even as a minor, so the availability of large quantities in a single place hasn't changed. As for the "weak and unenforced" firearm storage laws being effective in reducing suicide,

I would have to read the study to know for sure but there is no mention of controlling other variables in that sentence. It just so happens that in our country, the states with child access prevention laws are wealthier and more populated, two things inversely correlated with suicide rates.

edit: please post the link to the full study, I'd be interested to see if it holds water.

South Korea has recently put restrictions on a pesticide that used to be used frequently in suicides with a high success rate: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE98T05R20130930

quote:

But a decade after Jang's brush with death, a ban on fatal pesticides is credited with cutting the number of suicides by 11 percent last year, the first drop in six years. The government restricted production of Gramoxone, a herbicide linked to suicides, in 2011 and outlawed its sale and storage last year.

This is from 2013. Here's a link to the study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4452788/

Restrictions on firearms would save lives.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bidikyoopi posted:

South Korea is not the USA. Especially with regards to suicide, I would be cautious to compare a nation of 50mil with 27.3/100k suicide to a nation of 320mil with 12.1/100k suicides. Any regulations regarding access to methods of suicide in SK would be hard to relate to parallel US regulations.

If your goal is really to save lives, and in this context, specifically suicidal youths, there are proven methods that are cheap, easy to implement, and do not tread on civil rights.

People who live in South Korea aren't aliens. The reason why suicide rates decreased is because that pesticide was easily accessible and had a high chance to kill you. Similar results in England with Tylenol packaging http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f403

The point is that suicides are largely a heat of the moment thing, and people will use what they have available. Making it more difficult to access those things leads to fewer people using it to kill themselves, and reduction in suicide rates overall, even when accounting for increases in other types of suicide (eg in the South Korea example there was a small uptick in carbon monoxide suicides, but not even close to making up for it).

If you want to argue about the imposition on civil rights that's a legitimate argument to have, but the facts are clear that if people didn't have such easy access to guns, fewer people would kill themselves every year. It is a proven method.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, why shouldn't I have to show my literacy certification card to vote.

It's funny that people who are pro-gun and talk about how they vote against Democrats for gun control reasons use examples like this pretending to care about the rights of minorities because the Republicans they vote have already and are continuing to trample on minorities' rights to vote with actual, literal illegal poll taxes, as well as restricting the capability of poor and minorities to vote through restrictions on voting sign up periods, limitations on the locations and operating hours of DMVs which are often the only place to get the IDs to vote, as well as purging voter rolls so they turn up and then can't vote, and have publicly admitted these policies are in place to win them elections, but none of the pro-gun people care about that enough to not vote Republican.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bidikyoopi posted:

Again I point you to my post where I said

There are a lot of things in most households that will kill you as dead as a gun. There is no way to restrict gun access to youths without also restricting gun access to the adults who buy and store them. There are lots of ways to save suicidal youth lives without preventing citizens from exercising their rights.

There are very few things in most households that are as effective as killing you as a gun, because guns are easy, instant, and effective. People will use what they have available, generally, and also usually only try once. Youths aren't the only ones committing suicide, it's also in large part old people. The point is that restricting guns for everyone, even something as simple as mandating a safe with a key on the other side of the house, would reduce suicides.

The point of this is that the argument we're really having is us saying "I think people having such easy and free access to guns isn't worth all the violence and suicide" vs "I think people having such free and easy access to guns is worth all the violence and suicide."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The right to vote is obviously more important than the right to own a gun because you could use the right to vote to get the right to own a gun without the need to risk your life in a civil war but you could not do the reverse.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bidikyoopi posted:

You can jump off most buildings and die pretty instantly. That also happens a lot.

Also, that is not the argument we're having, and it's telling that you perceive it that way. I can't speak for others, but I'm saying having access to guns does not cause violence intrinsically.

Yes, people do jump off buildings, and where it becomes enough of a problem they restrict access. It's also less common because it's harder to do and requires more effort. The science is clear that restricting access to easy, effective means of suicides saves lives, and gun suicides are the most common in the US.

How is that not the argument we're having? If there was no gun violence or suicide, nobody would care at all about guns. It's literally the most important part of the argument. If 50% of the USA died every year from guns the 2nd amendment would be repealed immediately. If nobody died everybody would get free battleship cannons. It's the only argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

natetimm posted:

In Australia, before the gun ban went into effect, shooting and hanging were both just about equally as popular a way to kill yourself. Gun suicides did decrease dramatically after the ban. Don't worry, though, because hangings took their place pretty much equally. As a matter of fact, even though guns were pretty much removed from the equation, the suicide rate continued to increase. The idea that the lethality of guns makes them a better method for killing yourself isn't really proven by science. Also, there's no evidence to show an actual decline in suicides after the ban in Australia, either. Basically, the entire argument you're putting forth is bullshit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12882416

That study is only for one particular gender and age group. It also started way less common in Australia. Currently, their gun suicide rate is roughly .6 per 100k compared to the overall suicide rate of about 10-11 per 100k. In America, the gun suicide rate is about 6.7 per 100k, compared to an overall rate of about 13 per 100k.

The study I found which is referenced as a pretty good one that studied rates overall (http://andrewleigh.org/pdf/GunBuyback_Panel.pdf) had this to say:

quote:

Because there are so many more non-firearm suicides (and
homicides) than firearm deaths, we cannot reject the possibility that there
was 100% method substitution—i.e. that any reduction in firearm deaths
was accompanied by an increase in deaths by other methods. This is
unfortunate from a statistical perspective but is the inevitable result of
the fortunate fact that Australia already had relatively few firearm deaths
relative to non-firearm deaths. However our panel specification—in
Section 4.1.2—suggests that the time path of non-firearms deaths makes
it improbable that 100% method substitution occurred.

Basically, there's not a big enough sample size to be able to tell if total substitution occurred because they're lucky enough to not have so many gun suicides.

• Locked thread