Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

iv46vi posted:

Only while he's not looking down. Once he realizes he's up in the air he holds up a sign with " whelp" on it and plunges straight down.

First I thought you went for a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy joke but I guess the Roadrunner works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I just saw a clip with Harrison on Jimmy Fallon. I dunno, I kind of feel like he's just embraced the grumpiness as part of his image. Him having a sarcastic sense of humour doesn't read as "I hate these goddamn movies" to me.

On the subject of Oscar Isaac, I've wondered for quite some time if they won't give his character a bigger role in VIII. Like, while Rey or Finn is off training with Luke, he'll get more time to shine outside his X-Wing.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Oh boy that shot of the X-Wings and the Falcon heading towards the ringed planet.....mmmmmmmmm I like it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

What a waste of von Sydow if it's true that he basically gets a cameo.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I really liked it.

It all looked great, and the worlds seemed believable, without them needing to overexplain things. Movie works on itself too, you don't really need to see the earlier movies to get the plot, though previous exposure is needed to see all the fanservice moments.

New cast was terrific. Boyega was fantastic and has great comedic timing, I liked him alot. Ridley was very good at emoting without speaking, Isaac was cool, and Driver was REALLY good as Kylo Ren. I was really worried, since I had seen him in "Girls" and really didn't care for him there, but I totally loved his potrayal of an emotionally unstable villain. His tantrums when things went wrong where he just destroys what's around him without actually killing anyone was pretty rad.

Was pretty interesting that they dropped the "Kylo is the son of Han and Leia" bomb as early as they did. Makes sense I suppose. We're all jaded from that sort of plottwists from the OT so might as well get it over with quickly.

Starkiller base worked differently than I had imagined it, and I have to say, I would prefer my own version. I imagined that the weapon took out the major sun in any system it was pointed to, which would cause a supernova or black hole or what-have you, something that in turn would spell the destruction of the surrounding systems. Instead it's just a Death Star laser that splits apart and takes down whatever is in the area. Same thing I guess, but I thought the name "STARKILLER" was a good indicator on what it would do. Oh well.

Eagerly looking forward to VIII.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Music was okay. Nothing special, other than the good ol' classics. Nothing bad, mind you. But found no real gems when I saw it. But I'll try to pay more attention to it the next time I get the chance.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Randarkman posted:

John Williams is getting pretty old. I did not really think much of the music at all during the film, it's all the normal Star Wars stuff and some new stuff which I can't really remember at all. Which is kind of disappointing as even the Prequel trilogy has tons of music in it (mostly in Episode I) that's really good and memorable. Then again, John Williams is getting old and JJ Abrams seems to go for kind of bland "epic" action scores for his movies, Star Trek 09's score was pretty bad in that regard. At least with Star Wars you have a pool of good stuff you can (and are expected) to choose from.

Other than that, the sound effects were really loving good in this movie. It shouldn't be hard to go wrong with the Star Wars sound effects but everything sounded great, especially stuff with Kylo Ren and when he was using the Force to freeze blaster bolts, his lightsaber also sounded really great and the visual and sound effects during the lightsaber fight were top notch.

Yeah, audio and visuals were great. I'll still buy the soundtrack I suppose, but I think it's good if people don't expect any new "Duel of Fates" kind of tracks this time around.

One thing I should bring up: The lightsaber fight in the end is fantastic! They did a very interesting and intense fight without it being gimmicky and filled with cartoonished jumping and such stuff. My crowd frigging EXPLODED with cheers when the lightsaber rushed past Kylo and straight for Rey.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

That Aftermath book was....decent enough. But written in present tense, which was really really obnoxious to read.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Gonz posted:

After the years-long hype train finally pulls into the station, a brand new one starts boarding immediately afterwards? Hell loving yes.

In exactly one year we get Rogue One, the spin-off movie. And then I expect VIII to hit us exactly one year after that. Etc.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

CelestialScribe posted:

Try six months. VIII is slated for May 2017.

Huh. Did not know that.

I'd say it's early to tell right now though. They could very well reshuffle the release dates if it hits too close to some other major release.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Anyone seen any MRA meltdowns yet? I'm thinking that the ending in which Rey is the upcoming Jedi and not Finn would blow some gaskets somewhere....

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I recall reading somewhere that one of the Hobbit movies was basically finalised like a week before the premiere. I doubt Disney would ever risk such a close call.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Cross-Section posted:

Speaking of Episode IV, this hasn't gotten nearly enough love:

https://vimeo.com/174847477

Wow that's really cool. I've always been a sucker for broken up comms and static for some reason. It's an easy way to convey desperation. Also drives home the point of the more grim nature Rogue One is supposed to have.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Gonz posted:

Looks like Y-Wings and A-Wings (and black & white X-Wings) will play a part in Rogue One.

(News has been slow regarding spoilers, I know)

I thought micromachines went bankrupt some time ago???

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

anglachel posted:

Yes I too believe they would never go with a super safe, generic, and boring name after seeing The Force Awakens.

The Empire Strikes Back implies a dark turn or two. I always liked that name.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Vader scene sounds legit.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Being of the Swedish master race, I'll be seeing it Wednesday. I'll be sure to mention it here afterwards.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I don't like Kevin Smith but he sure likes Rogue One, apparently.

http://heroichollywood.com/kevin-smith-rogue-one-wonderful-great/

His words on Vader sounds very promising. Vader a la "Alien" sounds more and more likely.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Didn't Kevin smith also say that the Force Awakens made him cry? haha

No idea. As I said, I don't like him much, but I did like TFA quite a bit so if he liked that one too then I'm a-okay with that.

(Generally I cry to movies such as "Son of Saul" and not space magic but hey we're all different).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Kingtheninja posted:

What's up my across the pond buddy? I'll also see it Weds in Helsinki.

Awesome!

Answer me this tho: you see it in English over there, right? I don't know how you do translations or subtitles over there.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah in english. I moved here in Aug from the states. Most of their American films are played in english audio, with finnish and swedish subs. Children's movies are usually dubbed in finnish, but occasionally they'll have an english language showing for them (Kubo, for example, had one ENG showing at night when it was here).

Exactly the same as the Swedish cinema scene then, cool.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I really liked it. Sassy Vader is my favourite Vader.

Also, the space battle in the last act was awesome. Probably the best stuff they've showed us in the franchise.

ALSO, Alderaan is confirmed as the first planet fully destroyed. Jedha and Scarif are both hit with a limited blast, which looked like a civilization-ending impact event, but not enough to pulverise the planet itself.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 14, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I don't feel the reshoots messed anything up though. The movie was a bit choppy at first, perhaps, but it got a lot more focused as time went on, and the finale was actually very easy to follow, despite a great number of characters spread out over a big area.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

What I loved with the ending is that you get the impression that this was a costly victory for the rebels, and this first major victory against the Empire was very nearly all for naught.

The more I think of it, the more stuff I want to see again. Like the scene where they push two Star destroyers into each other, slicing them apart.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

"Apology Accepted, Captain Needa" comes to mind

Exactly. Vader has a long tradition of showing a (very) dark sense of humour:

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

"The emperor is not as forgiving as I am!"

That whole scene at the beginning of ANH also comes to mind, when he chokes a rebel to death and expect him to answer his questions at the same time. I always took it as a morbid joke of sorts.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Seen it twice now. Liked it even better the second time, and somehow Tarkin wasn't as jarring to me as he was the first time.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

We've come a long way since Gladiator, even if we haven't reached perfect CGI-people yet. It's still pretty drat good in my books.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

I appreciate those walker things were somewhat frightening this time around. The way they came lumbering out of the mist was a good reminder of how the Empire operates. :v:

The theatre actually shook as their first steps were heard. It was awesome.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Cross-Section posted:

So does Red 2, at a certain point. They don't call it out but I definitely noticed a X-Wing with two red slashes on the s-foil getting blown up during one of the space shots.

Fits with Wedge's "look at the size of that thing" seeing as he wouldn't have seen the Death Star over Scarif.

Wow, that's some sharp observation right there. Again, makes sense that Wedge wasn't around Scarif.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I agree there is a great deal of stormtrooper death, but lots of rebels die at imperial hands:
-Surface guns peg a few X-wings in the canyon
-two X-wings crashed into shield
-the general in the X-wing got straight up shot down by a TIE
-so many rebels on the ground are mowed down they had to drop in more
-When Vader shows up a transport is vaporized instantly, a Nebulon-B lasts seconds, and the flagship is disabled.
-and of course the heroes are total party kill

Add to the fact that each and every one of those ships and pilots lost was probably a painful loss for the rebels, while it was probably the loss of the Death Star that was the first substantial loss for the Empire. Arguably, the data banks on Scarif was pretty important, but not important enough to stop Tarkin from blowing them apart.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

TheMaestroso posted:

What's that from?

That's actually Galen, looking up on Krennic, and it is in the film.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I can see it pretty clearly in the first shot, but it gets better as the movie goes on. It was never really distracting to me.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Soundtrack is on Spotify. It's quite underwhelming to be honest. Not actively bad, but few things that takes your attention.

I like "When has become now" because it invokes the Death Star/Imperial theme from ANH, which I always liked in its simplicity.

"Hope" is terrific. Even without the added epicness of a Vader tantrum.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Oh for the love of....

I watched Rogue One for the third time today. The squid thing is still stupid, but the CGI Tarkin didn't bother me at all, and the final act is still fan-loving-tastic.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

CGI Tarkin actually works way better in 2D for me.

Noticed the same. I actually think it's very good, though the moral implications should always be considered. I certainly don't think that one should go and recreate dead actors whenever.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

gohmak posted:

I smell desperation from them

I have a good friend who really likes their content and talks about it a lot. I've given them several chances but I just don't see the appeal at all. They're mostly annoying rather than funny to me.

Though they did a great video (or was it two?) about Jack & Jill.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I don't know it, but I love it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Well yeah, I'm not a complete nutter, I knew THAT. I just didn't know....what....that....thing....was about.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Looks real cool. I just hope Fynn isn't in a come throughout all of it, 'cause I loved his character in the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, they're the ones who would be more excited to meet Mark Hamill.

I would be too excited to make any intelligible sounds, tbh.

• Locked thread