Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I really wish they would get him on camera to play his own game again. I think my favorite part was his poo poo talking about the chat interface.

Can we make a petition? "Goons will buy into star citizen if chris Roberts plays his game, live, for an hour (with no crashes or bugs or excuses for leaving)"

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

has the chat interface been fixed yet?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't think Chris likes games. I'm not even particularly convinced he's a great fan of film in general

His dream is being a big shot guy saying big words to the masses' rapt attention and admired stares

I suspect he really likes the idea of making movies and certainly the trappings. You only have to go back and look at the Wing Commander games gradually becoming more and more movie like.

Also my office has a Lavazza capsule machine, so I'll rate the coffee a solid 8/10.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4eu336/a_flight_model_for_everyone/

:stare: 37 pages: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2EZACiwECEpdEJsR2lkSkpXVmc/view?usp=sharing

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

That's 37 more pages than CIG has

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

AP posted:

The leader of Imperium, for a long time the largest player organisation in Star Citizen with their own active forum "won" a competition for an Idris M, purchase price during kickstarter $1000, grey market price at it's height $3-4k.

Dickwulf aka Accelerwraith wrote to the FTC about about CIG in an attempt to defend them, did all kinds of weird digging into Derek's real life, visited CIG LA, interviewed on a CIG stream, "won" a Vanduul Scythe during an undisclosed "$50 Million Man" competition, purchase price during kickstarter $300, grey market price at it's height $1.8-2k.

Nichole "Batgirl" D'Angelo, does youtube video interviews with CIG, runs the largest whale organisation, collects money through patreon and sometimes gives away free ships that CIG supply in competitions to her subscribers.

Twitch streamers WTFOSAURUS, Twerk17, BoredGamer, Captain_Richard & Clifford_Miku, most have been interviewed on around the verse, most have visited CIG Austin for a twitch streamers event, run Star Citizen content and have competitions that I believe occasionally have ships supplied for free by CIG. I believe some have patreon/take money from subscribers.

Reddit users BoredDellTechnician & Jester86 moderate the Hostile anti Derek Smart reddit, r/DerekSmart/, both are also moderators of the grey market trading site r/Starcitizen_trades/, both have also sold dozens of "limited"/"rare" ships or packages for $ and likely have been aware of the secret CIG wait list for rare/limited ships in 2013.

Serious: This post has answered a few questions I've had all along, and opened my eyes to a bit of the bigger picture of this thing.

This project has been rumbling along for so long that I've just started taking it for granted that SC is the game 'that sells spaceships for serious amounts of real money'. All companies give away products for promotion and to grow and sweeten communities, but these things don't exist, even in a virtual sense, and the game doesn't exist either. I'm preaching to the choir here most likely, but it really has just struck me quite hard reading AP's post here, that CIG are literally giving away NOTHING to these people.

Man this is so hard to put into words...

When AP writes here that these key people in the SC community are being supplied "ships for free", they aren't in fact being supplied anything, not even a promise of a ship or an in-game item. When I see stuff ITT about 'CIG selling Dreams' - that isn't hyperbole, that is an actual fact. It doesn't even constitute a transaction in any sensible meaning of the word at all.

We're all acclimatised to buying in-game items, I've bought aircraft for Rise of Flight for example, no problem, I pay for it and there it is in the game ready to fly. I've just realised that I don't have a problem with CIG selling in-game ships for huge amounts of money per se, the problem is that they cannot deliver the ship UNTIL there is a game to fly it in. The whole thing falls apart right there, it is fundamentally and demonstrably very very deeply flawed. They are literally selling NOTHING if the sale of a ship does not constitute a contract to deliver it, and it CANNOT constitute a contract BECAUSE the very thing needed for the ship to exist DOES NOT EXIST in any realistic, stable or tangible way.

I've done my time in retail and managed a couple of places, I know that the contract of sale materialises when the customer accepts the offer, it happens at the point of sale. I don't want to wade in legal land here, but what in the hell are people actually buying here? And what exactly is it that CIG are giving to these people to grow a community? There's nothing there!

As far as I can tell all of this comes under 'goods not received', and I've suddenly realised why this 'pledge' term gets thrown around a lot. A pledge is a gift, nothing more, no contract. These aren't pledges, these are transactions with VAT and with RECEIPTS.

Jesus guys sorry for the text wall and utter lack of funny, but I genuinely have just had my mind blown, I'm sure pretty much all of you already had this understanding. Thank you AP for helping bring me to a wider understanding of this thing, and if anyone here can see what I'm getting at and can put it into better words than I can, please feel free I'm all ears.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Good afternoon Something Awful Star Citizen thread what's been going on since last ni...

:prepop:

Toops posted:

It's almost like these guys just don't understand game development.

edit: catte development snipe

Fixed.

AP posted:

"why don't you guys send so many gifts anymore?" you say on camera.

wut who said that. Did someone really say that?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This legit makes me sad and feel bad. :smith:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

alphabettitouretti posted:

Chris apparently said it, you know...the guy who got given $110 million....

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

every so often the sheer brazen awfulness of this whole project comes crashing down on you. it is absolutely crazy

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Even my email client can see it...

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

SomethingJones posted:

Serious: This post has answered a few questions I've had all along, and opened my eyes to a bit of the bigger picture of this thing...

When the full reality of Star Citizen hit you between the eyes it's like having the curtain peeled back on what you thought reality was. All you can really do is go outside and have a smoke.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3stBTV7QZzk&t=87s

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

this thread took a terrible turn when it became a trend to post pictures of fuckings monsters of the deep sea. no need for that. stick to cats and stop trying to be a rebel

You must be hallucinating. All I see is cute cat and doc pics.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3wU1P73Fmk&t=18s

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man gently caress this chode

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://zippy.gfycat.com/RigidVillainousCheetah.webm

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

alf_pogs posted:

man gently caress this chode

I am your god. Send me tributes and money!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Stanko-Prussian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7x28-V66eQ

Overconfidence is a preference for the habitual purveyor of what is known as
(parplife)
And real life can be avoided if you fly a jpeg straight through what is known as
(parplife)
Ben's got brewers droop he gets intimidated by his massive missus
She loves a bit of it (parklife)
Who's that gut lord marching... you should cut down on your porklife mate... get some exercise

[Chorus]
ALL THE BACKERS
SO MANY BACKERS
THEY ALL GO HAND TO MOUTH
HAND TO MOUTH FOR THEIR PARPLIFE

Know what I mean
He posts what he wants except on mondays when he gets rudely accosted by 10 questions
(Parplife)
He puts his trousers on, has a bump of coke and he thinks about buying a house (parplife)
He talks of pigeons, procedurally created sparrows too, it gets him a pile of enormous whale funding
(parplife)
And then he's happy for the rest of the day safe in the knowledge there will never be a programmer devoted to it (parplife)

[Chorus]

Parplife (parplife)
Parplife (parplife)

It's got nothing to do with "in zwei Wochen" you know
And it's not about you cultists who argue round and round and round
Parplife (parplife)

[Chorus x 2]

glorious :five:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

So to start with you work on the pitch and worry if people will be interested. Then it goes well, far better than anyone could have expected, the money keeps rolling in breaking all records and the fans start sending you gifts, food, alcohol, alien designed bladed weapons, telling you how great you are.

:words:

You don't really think too hard about how you got here, "why don't you guys send so many gifts anymore?" you say on camera. None of us here really understand the backers anymore, we talk to the loyal ones, they are the real fans, those who still believe, brb I'm going to tweet a video of our new automated entrance door that looks like a spaceship.

This whole thing is perfect distillation of the narrative of self-- at least for those in LA.

A wise woman once said, "It filters from the top..."

It does indeed.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

They are literally shutting down EVERYTHING that they see as being even vaguely negative, it's pure paranoia. I need to read the Beer/Sandi emails again, but that last Annabelle post there *really* brought them to mind.

At the risk of sounding paranoid myself (!) they're monitoring the Elite subreddit too

Even the cultists know that SQ42 isn't coming this year, so the above is coming from inside CIG if you ask me. Even in twitch chats and on the SC subreddit nobody thinks SQ42 is coming this year. Also the handful of posters that jump into every single mention of SC on the Elite subreddit don't actually post in the SC sub - not that I've found yet anyway. They do tend to post in other places though.

One thing that I don't get is how CIG are able to say that some ships won't make release - do they have some sort of internal release date now? Otherwise how do they know?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Is this the sperg who did that 100 page threat assessment on Derek Smart?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

flyboi posted:

I'll agree with some of this but some of it is pretty dated. "Cloud platforms" are far beyond capable in the year 2016. 1/2 are combined these days because a load balancer is much quicker at L7 to act as a firewall, proxy and load balancer. In extremely complex environments though these aren't even considered and you go straight to anycast but I've never seen a game server be that crazy.

In my day you dropped your database on a Unix box and you were happy.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Io_ posted:

I've also been in a few offices that went in on the status symbol furniture and it was unspoken that it was often impractical and uncomfortable as gently caress.

A decent desk with good cable management, a good quality comfortable chair and good air circulation (nothing is worse than a still, stuffy office) is really all you need.

Well clearly you've never sat in a $2500 chair that evokes "flyboy swagger".

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Is this the sperg who did that 100 page threat assessment on Derek Smart?

No, that was the ilovecreamsoda guy. https://archive.is/TGvQX

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Samizdata posted:

Man, if you need to bring back the Ming shtick to keep your sanity intact after wading through THAT poo poo all the time, well, Samizdata would be pleased.

I think of it as penance for my shitposts and occasional ranty venting. But thank you, your appreciation pleases Ming, make Ming warm and wet.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Decrepus posted:

This legit makes me sad and feel bad. :smith:

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

G0RF posted:

Well clearly you've never sat in a $2500 chair that evokes "flyboy swagger".

Is that what they're calling haemorrhoids now?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ahahaha

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:stonk:

No... just no. Ben, Chris has never "saved your life", he's killing you. Or rather, being around him is killing you. This isn't fun anymore

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Get it away to gently caress

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

iron buns posted:

No, that was the ilovecreamsoda guy. https://archive.is/TGvQX

Any time anyone wants to complain we're ending up too much like Reddit please read this again to remember that this idiot and several other people believed they were fighting an actual war against Derek Smart that meant they had to use whatever means as their disposal to destroy him. Not merely this but they did it for no compensation and basically hung themselves out to dry in a way that the very people they thought they were fighting on the behalf of would have been clinically insane to try to support them.

They did this by and large because Chris Roberts wrote an angry, rambling letter to the Escapist accusing Derek Smart of doing something he had no actual part in, but also because in spite of the fact Derek Smart is legendary for forums trolling and shitposting, they still believed he was actively fighting to destroy them and CIG when he told them he was going to burn down their spaceship jpgs and destroy them (when it's obvious what he's actually been doing is trying to actively warn backers of the serious financial malfeasance at play).

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

Get it away to gently caress

Is that a tattoo or did he have some heart procedure done? Hard to tell with him.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

She would if she was Sandi. Sadly she's not and she can't. Love the direction this thread has taken though.

Post better

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Jared what the gently caress are you doing with your life, man seriously look at this, look at what you are doing.

Look at it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'd like all of you to suck my oval office

Because I love you!!!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Because I love you!!!

I am feeling grief

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
Ben is an incredibly tragic character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Because I love you!!!

Enjoy your ban :smug:

• Locked thread