Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm already thinking of closing this thread.

Only four more years to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Melian Dialogue posted:

I still don't know what a crypto fascist is and how its different from a plain jane, white bread fascist.

Wikipedia posted:

Crypto-fascism is a pejorative term for the secret support for, or admiration of, fascism. The common usage is "crypto-fascist", one who practices this support. The term is used to imply that an individual or group keeps this support or admiration hidden to avoid political persecution or political suicide.

The term is largely credited to Gore Vidal. In a television interview during the chaos of the 1968 Democratic National Convention, Vidal described William F. Buckley, Jr. as a "crypto-Nazi", later correcting himself as meaning to say "crypto-fascist". However, the term had appeared five years earlier in a German language book by the sociologist Theodor W. Adorno, Der getreue Korrepetitor (The Faithful Répétiteur).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So who will be the Trudeau version of Ikantski when Trudeau goes Full Wynne?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

flakeloaf posted:

Without some kind of relief from the league it could mean bad times for Canadian teams.

Oh no! My Leafs might not win the cup. :ohdear:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Albino Squirrel posted:

- Nurse practitioners can do pretty much everything a family doctor can, for about a third of the cost.

Excellent effortpost.

One of my pet peeves is the inability to go into a doctors office and just see a nurse for quick recurring minor health issues. There are lots of little things that don't require a doctor. Seems like a huge waste of time for everyone involved.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Jack of Hearts posted:

If a plebiscite on electoral reforms fails, isn't that democracy in action? I find the logic of "we must reform the system to be more representative/democratic, but we mustn't ask the people what they think of this plan" to be a little peculiar.

A referendum is just a backdoor to having to do anything. The Conservatives will funnel gobs of money into the no campaign, the Liberals will halfheartedly throw a bone to the yes side, and the FUD campaign from right-leaning groups will shut it down. Then Trudeau is free to say "the people have spoken" and drop it.

I'd love to be wrong, but the status quo has been pretty good to the Liberals over the decades. With the Conservatives in disarray looking for a leader to replace Harper and the NDP crushed in the last election they're learning to love FPTP all over again.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

flakeloaf posted:

The deceit of the holiday? Integrity of the kids? What is this doughhead yammering about?

Gonna go out on a limb and guess he's Christian. A lot of them hate Halloween. Usually references to it being a pagan holiday, celebrating witchcraft, etc.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Coolwhoami posted:

The bigger target has become (in my experience) alcohol consumption and sex, wagging fingers at the lack of moral character in "today's youth", etc.

I'm a bit out of the loop on that sort of thing, my family are a lot more moderate about their beliefs. I remember all sorts of wacky newsletters from James Dobson and Focus on the Family filled with scathing articles about the evils of the first Tim Burton Batman movie, or how all Halloween candy is laced with LSD. The usual moral panic stuff.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I don't think this has been mentioned yet but in a piece about the House of Lords last weekend, John Oliver incorrectly used a picture of Kevin Vickers.

The House of Lords, a group you know so little about you didn't even realize this wasn't the British House of Lords. :v:

With John Oliver's show its tough to tell if that's a fuckup or an Easter egg.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
We're settling in for a four year nap. There's nothing Mulcair or any New Democrat could do that would matter one bit four years from now. Mulcair could smear himself in chicken blood and streak through parliament screaming "Blood for the blood God, skulls for the Skull Throne!" and it'd be forgotten long before an election were called.

It's time to chill and watch Trudeau do his thing. As of right now there isn't really a government for the NDP to offer an alternative to yet.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Helsing posted:

To the contrary, the party can take this time to make some serious internal reforms and adjustments.

I agree about the need for serious internal change. I just don't think it has to happen overnight under a majority government. I'm fine with Mulcair playing the Bob Rae role as interm leader while the party does a little soul searching.

If three years from now Mulcair is still party leader pushing Liberal Lite, I'll start to worry.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Morroque posted:

My solution: have Canada be the queen. Canada is Queen.

Nah, the obvious solution is Queen Marg Delahunty.

Seems much more relevant and useful than the current Queen.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Entropic posted:

Alternate: Scott Thompson in drag as QEII.

I think we have a chain of succession in place!

Edit:

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I understand the institution getting flak but tbh Elizabeth had a pretty reasonable track record for a figurehead monarch. :shrug:

Her family has been poo poo at times (and her son is kinda bonkers) but she's never really struck me as disgracing the role she plays as the unifying figure of Commonwealth nations shared history. There are lots of dumb things that get done for the sake of tradition, don't see why the monarchy is singled out in particular, it's not like she's been constantly getting away with illegal corgi fights because of her status.

I don't have anything in particular against the current queen, she's been as inoffensive as you could hope. It just irks me funding vacations for rich douchebags while in the same breath cutting valuable social spending. It's not an issue that would move my vote. I'm definitely game for replacing the Queen with a fictional character of some sort though, seems much more cost effective.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 5, 2015

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

jm20 posted:

Is anyone else getting Trudeau overload?

I'd rather keep talking about Sarah Hoffman. She's super cute. :swoon:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

PT6A posted:

Mods, please change this poster's name to Sir Mix-A-Lot.

I cannot lie.

Also all about that bass.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Slightly Toasted posted:

I'm pretty sick of this argument and I'm pretty sure you don't want me to answer that question so I googled sexy trudeau pics and these were the first three

Not as hot as Sarah Hoffman. :colbert:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Who ever bought me this av, thank you so much. It rocks!

That is a pretty drat good avatar

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it boggles my mind how retail glasses stores still exist, but I guess it's for people like my dad who just need the experience of a slick salesman pretending to be his friend and telling him how amazing these $300 glasses look on him rather than buying a nearly identical (or actually identical) set online for like $50.

Everyone I know in my age range buys online though so I wonder what these stores and their insane markups are going to do once boomers and people who "don't like buying things online" go away.

Even places like Walmart sell two pair for $150 regularly. Not as cheap as online, but a hell of a lot better than the little place inside the optometrist's office.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
This still gets stuck in my head some days.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Jy312JCUQ

Rob Ford will be missed.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

odiv posted:

Also, gently caress Ghomeshi.

Hopefully women stop doing this, it's only making the problem worse.

Dear god I hope he doesn't breed.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

PT6A posted:

I agree that Mackay is probably the best, and O'Leary is probably the least distasteful of all the other candidates (and isn't that a sad state of affairs?). What are you hoping for? A non-conservative to lead the Conservative Party? Sadly, the CPC is not quite so dumb as the NDP when it comes to picking a leader, so I don't foresee that coming to pass.

Not really, but it would be hilarious.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

PT6A posted:

Stockwell [Doris] Day is one of the dumbest people on God's green earth. A potted plant would be a better leader than he was or would be again.

I know, I lived in his riding. Having him ride back into federal politics on the back of Barney the Dinosaur would be fantastic.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

brucio posted:

Why does anyone, CPC or not, think Peter MacKay is remotely competent? His time in every ministry he held was unremarkable at best.

Pretty much the only things anyone remembers about him are that he used military helicopters as his own personal chauffeurs and called his ex a dog after she crossed the floor. Considering the weakness of the Conservative field I doubt either are disqualifying.

It's not like they have a lot of good options. The list makes the Republican primary field look like murderer's row.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Dreylad posted:

After decades of Access to Information requests and some serious digging by a whole generation of researchers Library Archives Canada finally released the military records of James "Logan" Howlett

Normally April Fools jokes are pretty lame but this is fantastic. Thank you for posting it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

vyelkin posted:

Well I'm glad to see him go, but I do wonder who will end up replacing him. I don't know if any of the structural problems within the NDP have really been resolved, but at least they might come to the forefront with an explicit challenge to what Mulcair did wrong.

The problem all along was that Mulcair had too much hair between him and the voters. The solution is to make Nathan Cullen the next leader.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Dumping Mulcair only to replace him with Topp would be the worst timeline.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I didn't mind her during the last leadership campaign. I didn't think she was ready to be leader, but I'm not ruling out the possibility down the road.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
One Conservative would sit as an Independent just to avoid the Conservatives having the dirty sex number of seats.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So I hear JT hit Ruth Ellen Brousseau with a Macho Man Randy Savage-style flying elbow drop in the House of Commons then ran around arms in the air screaming "OOOOOOOH YEAHHHHHHHHHH" for ten minutes.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Has anyone presented Trudeau with a WWE championship belt yet?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Trudeau just got confused for a moment and forgot it's Brazeau he's supposed to be hitting not Brosseau. :doh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

#Elbowgate is the most disappointing sequel to The Shawinigan Handshake I could possibly imagine.

It wasn't a sequel to the Shawinigan Handshake. It was a dollar store knockoff of the Corey Lewandowski mess.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Pixelante posted:

Does anyone still give a poo poo about the euthanasia issue? Just me? :smith:

I still think it's unfair we blame the youth in Asia for ending the lives of the elderly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_uJHdOtdc

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I've been making jokes about the situation since day one, but it is a little unnerving how quickly the "It's all Ruth Ellen Brousseau's fault" narrative caught fire. It feels like every tar sands caveman decided to vomit their opinions about "Bitch had it coming" on to the internet at once.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Cultural Imperial posted:

i can't wait to see what you townie rear end bitches know about hip hop

It's dead.

Roll to every station, murder the DJ.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Funkdreamer posted:

Does it have to be a sitting PM?

Oh god, can you imagine how nauseating the "he was our Kennedy" talk would be? I wish JT long life and good health just to spare us Candle In The Wind 2016.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

DariusLikewise posted:

Lmao the Manitoba PCs have created a website where you can fiddle with sliders and offer budget suggestions for the next budget

http://manitoba.citizenbudget.com/

That was fun. Increase funding for all the options, increase taxes at every opportunity, suggested the Manitoba government start providing dental care, childcare and university degrees, all paid for with tax increases.

I wonder if the PCs will make changes to their budget based on my feedback. :allears:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So according to Justin's goofy Buzzfeed poll the only places in Canada that share my values are Quebec and Newfoundland.

Interesting.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It shouldn't surprise me Horgan managed to find the only wrong answer to that question.

/bcndp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

PT6A posted:

I want PET to be featured on a bill so all Wildrose-types can have fatal aneurysms all at once.

Father and son on the same bill to kill Ezra Levant once and for all. :getin: