Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lars Blitzer posted:

Was anything like this done when Klein, Stelmach, or Redford were Premier?

This is a prime minister so it's kinda different, and it's a little more personal, but here comes an anecdote. My grandpa was a career geologist in Alberta who was around when the NEP was enacted and never forgave Trudeau Sr.

When Pierre died, he took a RIP Trudeau newspaper front page, glued a picture of the grinch who stole Christmas over Trudeau's face, and hung it up on his office wall.

Alberta's spite towards anyone who can be conceived of as impacting oil income is pretty much endless.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

PT6A posted:

Fixed. It's not a uniquely Albertan problem.

It ain't, but the ability of our oil industry to get everyone working in it angry about politics sure is something.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
They were the guests of honor and they blockaded the parade, lol.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

Would you extend that to other institutions? Federal government? Banks? Hospitals? Schools?

You'd have a pretty sparse parade with that sort of collective guilt applied, I think.

Most of those institutions haven't literally killed gay people.

Though, I'm a bit tired of about the 10 different facebook posts I've seen today saying that if you disagree with them stopping the parade your a "bigot' whose 'racism is showing' etc. Not really into the whole using ideological purity as a shield of any and all criticism thing, or the idea that if you don't agree with a cause 100% of the time you're a garbage ally. Not that the whole world's saying it, but it sure has hell tends to be the loudest voice online. Or I guess it just seems that way to me because I have tons of hardcore feminist facebook friends. Time to going back to my policy of never interacting with politics online I guess.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
*On the scale of police, no.

I mean there's a million different political institutions that make living queer loving miserable and have in the past/currently push you into an early death, but as far as organizations that kick in the door of your bar and beat the gently caress out of you, that would mainly be the cops, yeah, so they get the brunt of the resentment.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

RIM no longer exists, the company is Blackberry Ltd. now, and their revenue has been from QNX licensing and real estate sales for a couple years now. Eventually they're going to run out of property to sell and have to fall back on patent trolling to keep the lights on.

UW is slowly buying up Blackberry buildings cause their running out of space. Their network of buildings is gonna be a satellite campus in a decade or less.

I thiiiiink they still employ poo poo loads of local co op engineering students though because they're cheap. I heard a few good anecdotes a few years ago when they were first crashing from students who saw their full time employee teams around them disappear and suddenly had to do the work of eight people.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Scaramouche posted:

Bah gawd, that's Rob Anders's music!

I grew up his riding. It was a rough childhood.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I've been back in Alberta for the last 10 days visiting some family, and everyone's grumbling about the PPA (power purchase arrangement) lawsuits the governments been throwing down. It's classic 'die in a fire' politics where everything about it sucks. On one hand, gently caress energy companies and last minute lobbying. On the other hand, Jesus Christ Notley, was there not a single person in the NDP who read the fine print on some of these contracts? I know that it's a one sentence clause from a document from 15 years ago, but given that it's loving Alberta you probably have dozens of people on your staff who are supposed to be experts in energy law. Or is knowing about existing energy laws and provincial contracts something that you only worry about if you're a Conservative? gently caress.

I'm totally sympathetic to the NDP's goals of bumping up the carbon taxes a bit, but suing companies for getting out of contracts by using a clause that you forgot was there is loving amateur hour.

Summary for people who aren't Albertans/don't care about political minutae here: http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/albertas-complex-power-purchase-arrangements-and-the-ndp-lawsuit-explained

Dunno if you guys already talked about this a bit, I'm out of the loop.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Risky Bisquick posted:

I feel Quebec should diversify away from Bombardier into data centres, internet trunks, and possibly bitcoin farming facilities with the cheap energy they are stealing profits from Newfoundland with. Sacre bleu

I'm unemployed and looking for work in Alberta and was surprised when yesterday I literally saw a bunch of postings for people looking to start a mining operation in loving Drumheller. Some company run by Latvian libertarians I think? Bitfury. They seemed legit as far as the industry goes (which doesn't say much, but a lot more corporate than Jimmy with a server in his basement).

Anyways I'm just amazed and bewildered that they're trying to set up in small town Alberta... Like, why? That towns entire economy is a dinosaur museum and its in the middle of a desert. Was the warehouse for free or something?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean I applied so maybe it's working.

Yeah, I'm getting a little desperate.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

blah_blah posted:

Don't you have a math degree or something? Learn Python/R, go be a data scientist somewhere. Avoid all things cryptocurrency-related like the plague.

Focusing on getting my database skills up to par right now and maybe taking some BI courses in the fall. I think that's more practical for my current skillset than trying to bumrush some development skills tbh. Shoulda started upgrading some skills earlier but in my millenial stubbornness I was really hoping that a Master's degree in math would get me in the door somewhere and I could learn the rest on the job. Hasn't worked out so far (although I've gotten close a few times).

I apply to loving anything I'm vaguely qualified for that leads to a non-garbage career, man. 7 years of pure math without additional business or coding skills didn't exactly make me a hot target. Doesn't help that I mostly spent my summers doing menial retail/restaurant/other entry level work instead of doing more serious internships. I hand in my resume to lot of places I'm not that excited about. Currently my only lead is that I'm somewhere along in the interview process with JD Irving out east. I hadn't heard about them because I'm a westerner but apparently they're evil as gently caress. I don't even care anymore, and it looks like at least they have some interesting industrial problems to work on. Anyways the rent is ridiculously cheap out east so I figure at least it would be easy to save money. There's a certain irony in potentially being an Alberta heading out to the maritimes for work -- usually goes the other way around.

I've gotten pretty used to hearing "you seem smart, but we're going to go with a more traditionally qualified candidate."

\CanadaCareersDerail.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 27, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

blah_blah posted:

I was a math PhD who had taken one computer science course in my first year of undergrad and nothing since then. Glad to give advice over PMs or whatever.

Appreciate it, I'll bug you sometime.

Anyways right now I'm just kinda the poster child of what happens if you do a very academic not applied degree, have poo poo work experience and try to transfer to industry.

On the plus side I have a friend who's in the same position, except his useless academic degree was in English so he's having an even harder time getting interviews. I guess that's less of a plus and more of a buddy in misery.

I don't know if it's similar numbers across the country, but I've had two different junior analytics jobs in Calgary now tell me in interviews that they got 300+ applications and narrowed it down from there. It's uh, a tough market to say the least for new grads.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

THC posted:

Forums for healthy discussion founded on mutual respect? Leaders who pick their battles wisely and don't needlessly antagonize others? I agree. Niki rules.

Sure it's picking your battles wisely to avoid a media shitstorm, but it's also caving into menial needless demands at the expense of your own intelligence.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

THC posted:

How does deleting a tweet make her less intelligent

There's nothing wrong with deleting a tweet or apologising, I just don't think that catering to the .0001% of people who have an issue with white people saying "to the left" is a particularly good look.

I mean if someone went to my twitter and was told me to delete a tweet saying "Hi, my name is ____" I could, but.....why? I guess that's a dumb example, I'm just trying to make up something off the top of my head that's as menial as a political slogan of "to the left". It's just so benign that acknowledging a grievance with it seems more implicative of a lack of critical thinking than anything else to me.

To be clear, I'm not trying to comment on broad policy, I literally just think that specific tweet interaction is dumb.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Who cares? We're not mad, we're just saying it's dumb. I'd vote for her anyways cause I like the NDP's platform, I just think it's a *silly twitter interaction*.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I thought Conrad Black was run out of public media a decade ago, christ.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Does anyone have an actual list or a detailed summary of all the tax changes in the currently proposed bill? Almost all the articles I've found so far just say 'it's complicated' and then list all the people angry at the government about them.

Anecdotally I got a cousin who's a doctor and she's constantly sharing stuff about how bad it would be. Seems to be a big push in that community against it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's very Canadian that our terrorists can run someone over, stab them and still pull a 0 on the death count.

Obvs it's horrible for everyone hurt but that's as good as an outcome as you can really hope for when some ISIS wannabe plows a car into people.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
When did Native become a bad word? Serious question, Google isn't getting me too far other than a few articles saying it's outdated. I was born in 91 and it was still the go to terminology when I was growing up.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 4, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

P.d0t posted:

If my experience today is any indication, turnout for the Calgary municipal elections is going to be high.
First day of advance voting, btw.

I've been lazy and haven't read the platforms yet. Any reason I shouldn't just check the Nenshi box? I agree with him on most things and figured the other guys were probably reactionary conservative dick heads but haven't really done any reading tbh.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Just voted in Calgary.

Man reading over the profiles for trustees and councilors is.... sad. Everyone running is either a 25 year old idealist or 65 year old retired person who is very concerned about the trees in their neighborhood.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

PittTheElder posted:

Trees are something to be very concerned about though? Used properly they're a huge component to perceived pedestrian safety, they're just generally desirable, and they didn't get there by accident.

I'm just being a jackass making fun of old people who use city council as a city level home owners association.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
TBH there's a few too many Bill Smith signs in my neighbourhood for comfort. My family's all voting Nenshi I think, but my dad works in an industry that requires for him to ask for money from the civic government on a regular basis so we're kinda biased.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean there's no excuse for not having enough ballots, but I'm honestly kinda surprised people didn't hit the advance polls as much. Well, I guess I'm not surprised because I have no faith in large groups of people to do anything that's not last minute, but I mean ballots or not I'd rather stand in a 10 minute line last week than a hour long one today.

To me it's a little ironic that advanced voting is a 'thing'. There's nothing advance about it. No signing up. There's no difference in it versus showing up on election 'day'. You just show up and vote a couple of days early. Effectively, the Calgary election has been running for five days, we just only pretended the last day was the real one for some reason. I guess it's easier to market VOTE ON OCT 16 than VOTE ON ONE OF FIVE DAYS FROM OCT. 9-16.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

James Baud posted:

I figured with 1.25m people and Calgary's young population you can still count around a million eligible voters. And if there was a remote belief that it was actually close (ie, contradictory polls), that turnout might've gone higher than the minimum. However, you know Smith was poring over returns by ward/neighbourhood for a lot longer before conceding than the thirty seconds I spent looking at the results and checking the population.

(That said, I do always forget to back out X% of adult population in urban areas as non-citizens.)

PittTheElder posted:

Can't find an official source, but I'm hearing 58%

Yeah. The number I'm reading is that the total electorate is about 670,000 people with about 390,000 voting. Which sounds small to me but I don't really know how eligibility works and also forget children exist sometimes.

Anyways, Nenshi is one of the few politicians in existence who doesn't make me puke in my mouth when I think about him, so here's to another few years.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 17, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

PT6A posted:

Not to be forgotten: the moron who said "Johnny Jew" got re-elected, because although we occasionally get something right, Calgarians are still dumb as all gently caress most of the time.

Every single incumbent got re-elected.

We uh, ain't great at this change thing. Or more likely the kind of inspirational politics required to make you want to vote for someone new rarely comes into play at the councillor level.

(I voted for Bliss Taylor, not Sutherland)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Amazon isn't going to set up an HQ in Canada.

The amount of people I've met who've told me something along the lines of "did you hear Amazon is thinking about setting up an HQ in Calgary?" is insanely mind boggling.

Amazon hasn't announced poo poo. There has been no indication whatsoever about anything they're considering. There was one independent study that said Calgary and Denver are the most feasible locations. That's it. But somehow the idea of a megacorp setting up shop here has melted peoples brains into thinking that it's destiny.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It's the Alberta NDP's fault oil is under $100 a barrel. Kenny will bring back $100 oil.

this is what 50% of the province actually believes lmao

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

vyelkin posted:

Any government that isn't anti-oil is anti-humanity.

The oil industry is literally trying to kill us all so that they can live comfortably in the meantime.

Any provincial government that's anti oil is unelectable in Alberta.

Overall I'm pretty alright with the compromises Notley has made. This province is full of reprehensible idiots though so I'm not looking forward to the next fourty years of conservative government now that they aren't vote splitting again.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

hooooooh boy

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvilJoven posted:

It's amazing just how many 'successful' companies seem to rely solely on the business model of buying up and then killing one golden egg laying goose after another.

Capitalism rewards attempted infinite growth to keep the shareholders happy, at which point by the end you've either turned into Wal mart/Timmies/Amazon or you've ran things into the ground.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
News: My dad told me about the multiple pieces of hate mail he's been getting about his (public arts organization) company doing an indigenous land acknowledgement in pre event speeches.

Views: I guess I should have expected the worst from anonymous web submissions boxes, but loving hell.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

THC posted:

just a normal TA with normal, not at all extreme or racist opinions. all she wants is fairness and free speech for all. and an open fair hearing for "white racial consciousness"

https://twitter.com/BillyArmagh/status/976296754365673472

Man, I really thought she seemed reasonable and WLU was being dicks back when the whole thing with her started and goddamn has that opinion not aged well at all.

I missed the mark on that one pretty fuckin' hard.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvilJoven posted:

Is that why I didn't see a lot of squirrels that one time I got to go to Europe?

Are they good?

https://honest-food.net/squirrel-stew-recipe-paprika/

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

vyelkin posted:

reminder to all liberal voters that the liberals are garbage and literally nothing they say during an election campaign can be trusted

Maaaaaaan.

It would be cool if the Liberals and NDP were the top two parties in whatever riding I'm in so that I could pick whichever one was less bullshit (usually not the liberals), but pretty much everywhere I've ever lived (and I think this goes for a lot of Canada) it's always been a two party race between the Conservatives and one of them, so I almost always end up strategically voting for whichever one of the not Conservative parties is closest in competition to em because gently caress em.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

PT6A posted:

Why is this policy any better than when Ralph Klein sent a whole bunch of $400 cheques to Albertans for no reason?

Great moments in the history of Alberta politics. Dunno how much the rest of the county paid attention to it/how it overlaps the Canada goon demographic, but growing up under Klein was surreal. Man it was super cool when the party of fiscal responsibility gave away 1.5 billion dollars arbitrarily. My parents put my 400 bucks in my college fund. It almost paid for one course!

Definitely a better use than putting it towards fixing some of the poo poo Klein ripped up. Or hell, even doing nothing and putting it in the Heritage fund. It's very difficult to imagine any use for it other than 'throwing it in a pit and burning it' that would have been less effective than what they did with it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I think most people here are on the same page, it's just that some people are angry at the liberals for sucking poo poo (true), and some people are posting reminders that conservatives tangibly suck even more poo poo and that keeping them out of power is a sensible political goal (also true).

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lmao

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Wow people get more sad when bad things happen to people who are closer to their location, cultural identity and socio-economic status than to people further off, whoda thunk it.

It's worth examining biases but feeling smug because the average person is more empathetic to people in closer social relation to them than others doesn't get you very far because that's probably something that's gonna hold for the rest of humanity's existence.

Having Canada care about indigenous communities would be kinda nice tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
My dad talks about living for 2 years in Grand Prairie during the 80's like some people talk about their 'Nam service.