Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

THC posted:

WOULD YOU LOOK AT ALL THAT CONGESTION JESUS CHRIST

It looks like Mike's policies are to introduce more vehicle congestions, no more street parking, no pullout etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

THC posted:

I recently had an exchange on Twitter with some lib who claimed they killed electoral reform because "there was zero bipartisan support for it" :allears:

wasn't that straight from trudeau's mouth?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

gently caress racist harassment, that poo poo sucks.

A brown friend of mine I was with got yelled at on the street by some black dude for being a terrorist foreigner or some poo poo 6 month ago. Just a utter stranger.

Today my mom and her friend got chased by a 40 y.o. white dude on a skateboard yelling to her that sikhs and arabs aren't welcome in canada, and that canada is an english white country that he belonged to (She's first nations).

gently caress this country.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

The amount of effort it would take to actually do anything with the Senate unfourtunately just isn't worth it in the end.

That isn't true, even if it takes 15-25 years to reform/get rid of the senate you can still from there on it'll still a good decision 100 years down the line. Long term thinking and desire to make good systems of governance should go hand in hand.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

They got a disturbing amount of votes, but were several thousand shy of making council :toot:

gratz

:yayclod:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Yes, lets give up on confronting family members because they'll never change and it's personally awkward. (I'm being facetious.)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

The Metis trying to carve out a land claim/homeland for themselves is fairly troubling. Especially when it's encroaching on the land of actual FN people with their historic roots and people intact. Like the Metis are premised around being a group of people who've accepted mixing with French Canadians historically, why are they claiming homeland over traditional territories of first nations that haven't been apart of that culture? I get that the Metis are a melting pot of people and groups in some ways, but that doesn't mean they should take precedence over other groups that existed and continue to exist.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

The Metis trying to carve out a land claim/homeland for themselves is fairly troubling. Especially when it's encroaching on the land of actual FN people with their historic roots and people intact. Like the Metis are premised around being a group of people who've accepted mixing with French Canadians historically, why are they claiming homeland over traditional territories of first nations that haven't been apart of that culture? I get that the Metis are a melting pot of people and groups in some ways, but that doesn't mean they should take precedence over other groups that existed and continue to exist.

That being said my main complaint is that First Nations and other Indigenous people in Canada need to work together synergistically to advance their issues and be an advocate to end colonial and unjust practices (better living conditions/infrastructure, stopping systemic racism). This is just going to be another wedge issue that puts indigenous people against each other, and make other bands and the Metis more defensive and self interested, I feel.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

zapplez posted:

Umm pretty sure the Metis are "actual" first nations people. This isnt some people LARPing

Lol, if we're talking about accurate use of the word 'First Nations' then that categorically excludes Metis. What you're thinking of is 'indigenous' or 'aboriginal', those words include both First Nations and Metis. My intent when I wrote 'Actual' was to stress that there are actual people in those lands with treaties that have been implemented unfairly by Canada, and who also with a legal history of ownership to the land and are not Metis.To have Metis paint over a huge swath of land as their homeland has weird and bad connotations imo. But upon looking at the Natural Geographic apparently this has been referred to the Metis home land before. I just hope they don't end up competing in public consciousness.

E: Yeah.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I was just at the d1 of AFN Special Chiefs Assembly in Ottawa, and whoa wee Justin Trudeau is a good public speaker!

AFN is a pretty interesting organization. That's what I learned today!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm from Toronto. Nobody around me speaks English and I hate the blacks, but if you want to dislike me I guess I'm a Leafs fan! *Sensible chuckle*

yeah, that bit had me going :eyepop:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Haha cultural cost between us? Could you expand upon what you mean by that?

If you look at provinces like Manitoba and think that cultural exchange was beneficial to both parties, enough to consider the lack of cultural exchange to be a cost to have not happen to such a large degree in BC, that's just a little odd.

I understand that it isn't really your intention to say that, and you're probably thinking out loud. But contact between colonizers and indigenous people in Canada has been incredibly destructive to indigenous people, I don't think any knowledge or friendship gained from cultural exchange outweighs that fact.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

:eyepop:

This is going to be good...?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

To be honest I think the idea is that they'll sell more volume isn't it? Rather than just being about low prices.

Like it's worth less so they're trying to sell more of it. Right?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

To be honest I think the idea is that they'll sell more volume isn't it? Rather than just being about low prices.

Like it's worth less so they're trying to sell more of it. Right?

My point isn't that selling more oil is a good thing, I just wanted to say that mocking pro pipeline people for 'bad logic' when you're kind of setting up a strawman doesn't really convince anyone of anything and just makes you look self righteous but addressing their concerns.

Their concerns are not having a way to exit an un-viable (ecologically and energy efficiency wise) dying industry that props up their province/lifestyle and they're trying to set up logistic capacity so they can support the same rate of economic growth that they're used to right? Just calling them idiots for blah blah blah supply and demand (when it isn't even necessarily true and if more pipelines are built capitalists will make money) doesn't really help develop a strategy that addresses their concerns, and thus also doesn't help convince them to change paths, and thus also leads to our eventual eco-death.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

No, it's about the price. Right now, Alberta is producing too much compared to its pipeline capacity, and some of its customers have had to stop production, so they're flooding more oil into the limited markets they have (or selling future oil and putting it in storage, which also drives down prices and is costly), while the world price is much higher than the price that they're able to get for their own product.

Open new markets -> sell that oil closer to world price -> sell less oil to the markets you're currently flooding -> raise that price as well.

It actually is p classic supply and demand.

Fair enough, thanks.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

I like Christmas. It's good to know the tap water probably won't make me sick, and a bomb won't come crashing though the roof, and not knowing when I'll even want to eat again is a drat sight better than not knowing when I'll be able to. Canada is good even if Canadians are bad sometimes.

Obligatary reminder that there are various indigenous communities in Canada that won't be able to drink their tap water this christmas.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

zapplez posted:

I’m not talking about the validity of the approval or the reasonableness of making this pipeline (I disagree with its construction). I just don’t know if you get more public support by bringing more guns into this situation, especially if they ever get used.

I think that in general being a nuisance/difficult has brought more positive media attention in the long term to FN protesters then getting steamrolled by the government. Generally they have little to no legal rights to contest the type of issues they'd like to contest due to these issues usually being about private property, removed from urban centres thus out of the public limelight anyways, and the racism that Canadians have generally that means that if FN get steamrolled people aren't going to give a poo poo or respect their noble quiet protest.

I think that violent protests also gives the government more incentive to prioritize giving the AFN a bigger/better platform, while they don't necessarily represent the traditional/hereditary chiefs all the time, they're still out there advocating for FN issues and making connections with the Feds which is super cool. The AFN is also kinda about building capacity in some respects which is important for FN people. I think that it's kinda sucky that the AFN tends to denounce armed occupations and such like that, but holistically I think that the possibility of violence will encourage the gov to pay more attention to FN issues and thus support all groups looking to bring attention to them.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Bringing guns into the situation is a huge escalation and requires both sides to escalate to keep pushing the issue. This makes it more "expensive" for both sides to keep fighting, but the alternative is just giving in and hoping for the best (which has not a great track record for first nations being strong-armed into giving up their land)

Armed blockades, sabotage, and even violence will almost certainly need to be used to stop the pipeline if the government keeps trying to plow through. Public support is irrelevant or at least minor in these situations, but you don't need some 50%+1 support level among the entire population to "win". If 60% of canadians are passively sympathetic to your happy legal non-violent cause and kinda sad you lost your battle that's useless, if 60% of canadians think you've gone too far by having defensive weapons and maybe setting some cop cars or construction vehicles on fire but now 30% of canadians are riled the gently caress up on the side of first-nations and are out protesting and joining the blockade, that's a victory.

Passive popular support is useless, active organized resistance, even from a minority, actually gets poo poo done.

:yeah:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

RBC posted:

police get really uppity about parades, they fuckin love them, the cops policing the santa clause parade are loving psychopaths, not letting them march in a parade is like one of the worst things you can do to a cop lol

:yeah:

Really happy they won't be able to participate in uniforms. The next step is taking out all their floats and military recruitment posts imo.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

zapplez posted:

Aren't their floats already banned?

If we really just want to ban every organization that has hurt the gay community, we really ought to ban the conservative party, the gay conservative group, and any other political float and the Canada blood bank too.

Looks like it could be the case. I didn't realize banning uniformed officers also referred generally to the toronto police floats. Nice. I haven't gone to the parade/pride in a few years because I'm never in a good mood for it but that makes me happy.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

zapplez posted:

I say let those Venezuelan jerks starve. gently caress anyone that has the support of USA or Brazil. How dare they?

Marxism is a brain disease

I hope the CIA comes and 'supports' you on the basis of your tragic posting.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Ford dynasty

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

eXXon posted:

Well, it's settled then, people with important jobs should never go on strike. The obvious solution is then to never have an important job.

galaxy brain: contract labourers

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

zapplez posted:

gently caress, 15 dollars USD in basically any city but LA,SF or NYC is like 25 an hour canadian when you consider the C.O.L. differences. Its not that hard to find a good house for 100 grand outside of major cities in USA and cars/food/hydro/gas etc is all like 25% cheaper.

Well, don't forget exchange rate too with one dollar usd literally being 1.33 CAD. Even ignoring cost of living, 15 dollars min wage in USD is comparable to 20 bucks CAD.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

xtal posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if our minimum wage was $20 CAD, accounting for inflation, when it was first introduced. The minimum wage in USD or CAD has done a very bad job of keeping up with inflation.

http://www.canadasocialreport.ca/MinimumWages/2015.pdf

I don't know how good this report is as an indicator, but whoever did it seems to be suggesting that they've accounted for inflation in looking for min wage stats across Canada from 1965-2015 into a 2015 'constant dollar' so that all dollars on the graph represent generally the buying value of one dollar in 2015. It seems to be the case that adjusted for inflation most minimum wages start in 1965 as about 7.50 CAD in 2015 dollars, so it is increasing meaningfully somewhat maybe? Which is nice. But I'm not a money/numbers person.

I also have no clue how actually tied cost of living and costs like education are tied to 'inflation' because I am not a money person.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Helsing posted:

The main advocates of UBI seem to be under the misapprehension that stagnant wages and worker insecurity are some kind of unforeseen or accidental byproduct of our economic system. Even worse they try to make other people believe this because if you think poverty is some kind of mistake by our otherwise benevolent rulers then it's almost believable that they would be willing to fix it voluntarily.

Meanwhile in the real world increasing economic insecurity was an explicit goal of the economic restructuring of the 1970s onward. It's a feature, not a bug. You can't do an end run around the fundamental problem of political power and who wields it. There's no technical solution for this problem. You've gotta build up your team, go to war and win political power the traditional way.

So the part about UBI discussion that frustrates you is that they should be organizing to overthrow our political/economic system instead? How should people go about building up their team in places like Canadian cites as an alternative to things like fight for 15 fairness campaigns or talking about UBI Helsing?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I think there are probably issues with the amber alert emergency system on our phones, and that we shouldn't just blindly accept that the government/police services have a direct line onto our phones with an emergency alert system that goes off once every 3 months or so.

The problem is that it's about missing kids right? It's like someone asking you if you support torture or not, and you say no, but they say what if you could stop 9/11. There's so much moral panic around the issue, that it's hard to think things though without ~emotions~ dominating the conversation. Like whoever gave Ariva the red text, do you really think Ariva doesn't care about missing children? You're just like abusing the fact that you think that you have the moral high ground to shout at someone, and that's dumb.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Also, I hate to sound cold, but the reality is this amber alert wasn't a success. The father was found in a residence he was probably renting with his daughter who he killed. Though police say the amber alert lead to his arrest, the point of an amber alert is to find a kid alive. We gained no utility out of it this one time, and it isn't really the job of the amber alert to crowdsource a manhunt for one dude either.

Its about casting a wide net so that people exiting province or hiding with kidnapped kids get caught. He literally took her home to kill her, so the benefits of an amber alert are narrow in this case but the people affected in calling one are widespread.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

infernal machines posted:

It raises some questions about the timing of the amber alert as well. It was hours after she was reported missing, but evidently before they checked his residence? I'm unclear on the timeline for this, or I probably have some details confused.

3 pm Daughter gets dropped off to her Dad at a gas station in Mississauga
7 pm Mom alerts the police that Dad is saying scary things/threatening to kill Daughter.
11 pm Amber Alert is issued after police do preliminary investigations.
12 am Police find Daughter's body at around midnight in Brampton duplex that was probably rented by Father, suggests CTV news.
- Father was caught in Orillia based on tips from the Amber Alert.

Yeah I mean, it sounds like it was too late to change anything. But they got the guy. It just is a matter of how much convenience you're willing to give up for security, but I think maybe police were irresponsible about calling the Alert/not finding his residence fast enough.

E: forgot that pm turns to am at 12

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 15, 2019

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

infernal machines posted:

So they triggered an amber alert but it was actually just a very public APB.

To me it reads like they were on the way to the Brampton residence/getting a warrant or something to get in while the Alert was being issued so yeah. It's hard not to get that kind of feeling.

Actually the globe has more specific times that say police issued the alert at 11:30 and found her body at 11:50, twenty minutes later. They were about to find her and issued the alert anyways probably in anticipation of the manhunt or not finding her. It's something to think about at least.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4964199/amber-alert-peel-police-mississauga/

Yeah and a very public APB is not appropriate really.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

TrueChaos posted:

You know, when sending these alerts out, there's also the chance that it spooks whoever's taken the kid into killing said kid, right? And, conflicting reports that amber alerts actually save lives? http://archive.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/07/20/abducted/

Thanks I appreciate your post! That looks like a good read.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

You know those kettle expresso things aren't really that hard to use or inconvenient to make expresso with. 50 bucks is all you need to enjoy expresso.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

berenzen posted:

I despise the taste of coffee, and so have managed to avoid acquiring a caffeine dependence to stay awake. Saves me a couple hundred dollars a year as well.

Good for you!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Eej posted:

Look, just merge the two problems together to fix them. Have the grandparents take care of the kids while the parents work.

muh nuclear family tradition!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Thats not exactly what it means. It means that every vote you put towards a seat that doesn't 'win' is lost in our system and doesn't affect the rest of the election.

With FTP it's like if we had 100 ridings with 51 votes to win in each. If liberals won 100% of the ridings with 51 votes in each, they would appear to have 100% of the country's support with 100% liberal seats, but the total votes they would have would only be 51%, with 5,100 out of 10,000.

The other 4,900 votes don't result in any seats, and don't result in any political power.

This is an extreme example but it shows how lots of people can vote for a party across many ridings (like the greens) but win very little political power because their votes aren't located in a single particular place.

I'm sorry if you two were being ironic or something, but that's what people mean when they say the vote is 'worth less', because with FPT this kind of thing happens.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Leofish posted:

Protest is a form of free speech. If a university has to be forced to bring a nazi in because :byodood: FREE SPEECH :byodood: then protests of said nazi should also be allowed and encouraged.

no no no, that's the BAD kind of free speech.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

:yeshaha:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Nation to nation relationships, they deserve to govern themselves duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Tsyni posted:

I like guns. Most of my life I thought they were horrible, until I used them. They are fun.

Isn't most gun crime in Canada done with guns smuggled from the USA anyway? You guys sound like real downers.

most gun crime is also done with guns lol