Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Terebus posted:

I don't think the replacement will handle the traffic...

Terebus posted:

I'm not a traffic engineer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

I doubt it, but they could retaliate by making life hell for us in other ways. They're just pandering to their base of angry suburban motorists

Throwing a bone to the base for sure, but I suspect they also want to ensure they can leverage out a bigger slice of the pie for themselves.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Just saw a little CBC clip pop up on facebook looking back at the Quebec sovereignty referendum.

I was too young to pay much attention to it back in 95, so I'd never seen this before. It's from the concession speech from whoever this guy was that presumably was heading up the vote to :frogout:.

Guess you guys aren't kidding about the Quebecois being racist as hell:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Suspicious posted:

Yeah, Parizeau sure spoke for every single resident of this province.

Sorry didn't mean that of course. But it was a 49% vote, and there's the spokesperson saying they lost due to "ethnics", on national TV. That's a hell of a thing to say in public if you don't have wide support, as there is some serious baggage attached to saying a thing like that. He obviously wasn't just neutrally and objectively stating statistics.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Seems that at least in my quarantined online extended friends of friends circle, the go-to name for Trudeau is now "Trudy Trudough". Because Trudy is a woman's name, and women are weak of course, and dough because, something to do with having money or spending money, I guess?

People are so loving weird. At least let the guy actually enact a somewhat centrist policy that doesn't actually change your life at all before you get all bent out of shape about it.

-----

Nice new av bunny. Gotta admit months back I thought you were a nice guy but a bit of a fool for working so hard for an obviously doomed and pointless campaign. Even lost $50 betting on a Con win! Never been happier to be wrong.

Grats on winning the CanPol thread. Sunny ways, bitches.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

jfood posted:

No articles, just a title and a comments section.

No, still articles, just readable in 15 seconds and written at the level of "simple english" wikipedia.

Simple English Wikipedia, Rockets posted:

Most rockets still use solid fuel to make the fire. The biggest ones use liquid fuel because it makes a hotter fire so the rocket is more powerful. Handling the liquid fuel safely is difficult and expensive, however.

Rockets are also used for fireworks and weapons and to control moves in outer space.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The Butcher posted:

No, still articles, just readable in 15 seconds and written at the level of "simple english" wikipedia.

Justin Trudeau is the Prime Minister, which means he is the leader of the country. He wants do a thing that costs a lot of money, and that money will come from taxes. Tax is what the government steals from your paycheque.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Haha holy poo poo political news hasn't been this entertaining in so long.

Let's check in with the Post:

National Post posted:

Obama betrayed America’s closest ally over Keystone XL to prop up climate change legacy

Canadians of every political persuasion should be dismayed by U.S. President Barack Obama’s cowardly rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/obama-betrayed-americas-closest-ally-over-keystone-xl-to-prop-up-climate-change-legacy

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

When did we get so stupid and racist as a country?

quote:

“The objective – I quote from Sir John A. Macdonald, our revered forefather – was to ‘take the Indian out of the child,’ and thus solve what was referred to as the Indian problem. ‘Indianness’ was not to be tolerated; rather it must be eliminated.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

I think the Conservatives are hosed right now, because without the presence of Dear Leader to shut up the wingnuts who would complain about things like "investigating sexual harassment," the party and its supporters will go completely insane.

I mean, what sort of lovely person do you have to be to be against the investigation of sexual harassment complaints? I really think the conservatives (small and big C) have gone over the loving deep end over the past few years. I don't remember them being nearly this batshit insane last time I voted CPC.

Harper ruled the party with an iron fist. There are going to be some really "interesting" opinions coming out of the CPC woodwork now that he's gone.

Looking forward to the eventual split between the "lets be just like the liberals but a tiny bit more right" and the "ABORTION EVIL KILL MUSLIMS" factions in the days to come.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Apropos of nothing but Helsing you write really well and have a great grasp of the issues.

You'd make a good columnist.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, with the amount of people I know who are either passionately anti-monarchist or just don't give a poo poo about the royal family or its links to Canada in any way I would not say a picture of the queen is a symbol of national unity. I think most Canadians just don't care one way or the other and if and she was taken off our coins people would barely notice. I doubt the english royal family is very popular in Quebec either.

Just put up a drat :canada: flag or an Emily Carr nature scene. Nice and boring, very neutral. Very representative.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Jordan7hm posted:

Gonna want to see some numbers on this.

Haha are you making GBS threads me? It's essentially legal in North America to kill someone with your car as long as you do it sober and say "I didn't see them."

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I like seeing brutal dictators get killed by the people they have brutalized, but I don't like the power vacuums they leave behind. It's very conflicting. :(

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Mameluke posted:

lol at a non-Ottawan thinking they have good shawarma

Fun Ottawa story, many years back I was there drunk as gently caress wandering the streets during the big blackout, and desiring food greatly. Nothing was open. Every store was black. I wandered and wandered, stomach growling, until finally the candle lit store front of the SHAWARMA KING appeared. Their grill was all gas powered, they took cash, and the meats were hot.

That was the best shawarma of my life.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Let's check what the top rated comment is on a Province article about bear poaching!

:stare:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Yeah obviously grinding up animals to release the power of their dongs is retarded and hosed up, I'm more just remarking that being blatantly and publicly racist seems to be coming back into vogue.

Not just online either.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Fine by me to contribute like that. Just don't want them staffing full bases and doing combat poo poo and whatnot.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

They've been getting rid of everyone at the top of their pay grade for over a year now. Broadcast television is dying.

Good.

lovely about the jobs but gently caress cable TV.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Coolwhoami posted:

Bill 6 extends workers compensation coverage, occupation health and safety rules and labour laws to all Alberta farms, regardless of size and regardless of whether or not the work being done on the farm is paid or unpaid. Bill 6 also allows farm workers to unionize.

Oh wow what a nightmare situation.

gently caress this attitude. If your business is not viable if you are forced to pay workers a fair living wage or abide by loving health and safety regs, YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN THAT BUSINESS.

"Hurrr yeah my profit margins are so thin that if I need to put measures in place to ensure my workers (who may or may not be my own family members) don't get killed or maimed, I'll be ruined!"

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 26, 2015

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Stretch Marx posted:

Part of my project is to create a more contained hydroponics rig that would maximize the amount of plants versus available space. I think my test bed rig design should be able to handle about 10 to 12 plants in a space that's 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and roughly 5 or so feet tall using LED lights.

Just make sure the system is customizable/modular enough to grow a pot plant beside your lettuce and tomatoes and it'll sell like hotcakes.

PT6A posted:

In other news, apparently another mosque was vandalized, this time in Cold Lake :smith:

This. loving. Province.

Buttfuck nowhere O&G and military town... Surprised they even have any Muslims up there.

I suspect the anti-muslim backlash is probably going to trail off in Canada without the CPC actively encouraging it. Get back to our Canadian roots of only being vocally racist towards natives and keep the other racism in hushed tones around the dinner table.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
In other lighter news, JT got dad's desk out of storage for his office to replace Harper's.

*Insert image of the ghost of Trudeau laughing over sad Harper here.*

Pretty boss desk. Made in 1880 and used by Wilfrid Laurier, Lester B. Pearson, Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Feb 2015

Today

From an adbar thing run on the bottom of government websites.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, but how much is it going to cost???

http://www.thebeaverton.com/national/item/2273-conservatives-demand-to-know-how-trudeau-will-pay-for-human-dignity-promised-to-aboriginals posted:

OTTAWA -- Interim Conservative leader Rona Ambrose and her MPs are demanding to know how the Liberal government will be able to afford treating indigenous people of Canada with human dignity and respect.

“Mr. Speaker, human decency comes at a high price,” Ambrose declared to the House of Commons during Question Period. “Promises upon promises were made by the Prime Minister during the election campaign, but this is one the country can’t afford. The previous government couldn’t afford to give any basic recognition to First Nations rights so why should we start now?”

Conservative MPs joined in the chorus of criticism against Liberal Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s plan for a new relationship based on “costly” appreciation, “expensive” acknowledgement of indigenous lands and “extravagant” basic human rights.

“Why should we mortgage our children’s respect to recognize the rights of Aboriginal children to go to school?” asked Conservative MP Jason Kenney. “Our priority was ensuring the budget was balanced, the national debt was written off and Canada won a few more Olympic gold medals in hockey before we contributed any sense of decency towards indigenous communities.”

Tory parliamentarians expressed concerns about the rights of isolated reserves accessing life sustaining resources such as water and having a standard of living slightly higher than Angola.

“How will large oil corporations feel when First Nation’s consent is required for pipeline projects?” asked another MP, Candice Bergen. “Consent is selling at a premium right now. We can’t punish our job creators by taking away their respect and giving it to someone else.”

In related news, Conservative commentator Ezra Levant was tweeting about how expensive truth would be if an inquiry for missing and murdered indigenous women were launched.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

bunnyofdoom posted:

Promise kept!

(Kitsilano Coast Guard base)

Closing it was a serious tactical mistake on Harper's part. In the big picture the additional costs were meaningless compared the the benefits (real and optical) of keeping it open.

Pretty much everyone in the city was super pissed about it. It came off as vindictive, petty and dangerous. Great combo.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

Would the PM bother with the minutia of where individual stations are operating? I doubt it was a decision made by Harper. Likely came from within the Coast Guard, either the Ottawa or Victoria office. I don't doubt Trudeau instantly recognised the points he could score promising to re-open it though.

It became a big political issue, I agree he wouldn't have been the one to pick it out at first, but once it blew up as an election issue it certainly would have crossed his desk and could have been vetoed.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't remember this being posted, but they are following through with the Freedom Road funding.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lick=sf_globefb

"That's a pretty swell thing to do after loving those people over so hard for so long. Let's check the comments!"

:smith:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I as a senior citizen...

The society in Logan's Run might have been onto something.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Count Roland posted:

What is a thug hugger?

Someone who believes in getting criminals to serve their debt to society and eventually be reformed, as opposed to immediate execution by firing squad.

e: lol great minds think alike apparently Scotch

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

more like dICK posted:

Canada doesn't need an army tbh.

Armies are good to have around for the extra manpower and equipment that can be deployed during domestic environmental emergencies.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
As a British Columbian, I'm pretty soured on the idea of referendums.

In the public eye, complex and nuanced issues become reduced to simplistic, misleading talking points, and fear and misinformation ultimately end up ruling the day.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Cultural Imperial posted:

And yet you dumb fucks still vote even when all the parties and candidates are garbage. You all deserve this.

Try a little harder at least. :rolleyes:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

So if you want to convince people not to give up on politics you need to be ready to endure a lot of snark and sarcasm as you explain why you think it's worthwhile to participate.

I agree, and if it was anyone else saying something like that I'd give an honest attempt to explain why it's an unhelpful and self-defeating (if understandable) position.

That was just lazy even for CI though.

Keep the effort posts coming man. You could probably write and sell a book on the state of politics today and the actual concrete steps needed to fix things if you ever wanted to.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
If I was the feds I'd want to get the ball rolling on getting weed legalized and taxed ASAP.

It's likely to be a drop in the taxation bucket, but at this point every extra chunk of revenue is going to be helpful.

Save us, weedconomy, you're our only hope.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

Please buy our gas?

The invisible hand makes a dismissive gesture and looks away.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

flakeloaf posted:

The JP should've known that, good grief.

On the other hand, it's Peel, so...

How many simple names -> criminal records matches you would get in that sampling of 40,000 people would you reckon?

Too many to be useful or a small enough number to give you somewhere to start?

I think it's way too wide a net to be allowed to cast, but curious if it might have worked.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Ikantski posted:

I was just taking a poke at Trudeau's discriminatory refugee plan.

Legit sucks for the single dudes trying to get out, but to be a bit ethically clinical about it it really does make sense to help the families/women+kids first.

In a perfect world we should help everyone who needs it, but this isn't a perfect world.

Doubt anybody anticipated the Europe thing but it's looking like a very clever political move to screen out single guys.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

J.J. McCullough posted:

http://looniepolitics.com/opposition-radical-islam-must-define-canadian-conservatives/

Opposition to radical Islam must define Canadian Conservatives
January 15, 2016 - By J.J. McCullough

muslim_woman.jpeg

Liberal partisans in the press and elsewhere have worked hard to reframe the 2015 election as a referendum on multiculturalism in which Tory flirtations with “xenophobia” and “Muslim-bashing” were soundly rejected by a repulsed populace.

Conservatives should resist pressure to believe them. In reality, all available data suggests continued vigilance towards radical Islam and the negative cultural consequences of unrestricted, unassimilated immigration provide the opposition party’s surest assurance of continued relevance.

Take the Conservative policy of forbidding Muslim women from wearing face-coverings while reciting the oath of citizenship, for instance, a policy the Trudeau administration ostentatiously ceased defending in court shortly after taking office. A Forum poll taken just before the election found 58% of Canadians in favor with only 31% opposed. Banning veil-clad women from working in the public service — something the Tory government never fully endorsed but merely mused about — was even more popular, boasting 62% support.

There exist few issues of this sort that don’t pull similar numbers. In contrast to Liberal propaganda incessantly insisting otherwise, a Forum poll taken in December found only 34% of Canadians believe Syrian refugees will exert a “positive impact on life in Canada” with 34% disagreeing and 32% unsure. Justin Trudeau’s sky-high refugee intake has been consistently unpopular as well, with some polls showing as many as 60% opposed. An Angus Reid poll taken shortly after Trudeau’s inauguration found 29% of Canadians believe Canada should admit no Syrians whatsoever.

Suspicion of immigration, Islam, and multiculturalism runs deep in Canadian society. A March 2015 study by pollster Frank Graves for iPolitics found 46% of Canadians believe Canada admits too many immigrants with 41% having the chutzpah to say we let in too many minorities. An Angus Reid poll last March found 44% of Canadians hold a negative view of Islam (only 15% claimed to have a “positive” one) while a 2011 Leger Marketing poll found 56% of Canadians believe Islam and the west have “irreconcilable” differences. (42% of Canadian Muslims, for their part, were happy to agree their differences were irreconcilable.) Even Donald Trump’s proposal of an across-the-board ban of Muslim immigration got 33% support in a recent Angus Reid poll — that’s greater than the number of Canadians who voted Conservative or NDP. (37% said they consider Trump’s rhetoric “good for society” — getting close to majority government territory.)

On questions like these, Conservative supporters overwhelmingly favor the most hardline answers, a reality the next Tory boss must be willing to accept and embrace. Though politicians and pundits will exert much effort over the coming months trying to formulate a workable philosophy of 21st century Canadian conservatism, our times don’t call for complex ideology as much as moral clarity. My pal Jackson Doughart recently observed that “a long-forgotten basis of political parties is the taking of one side on a defining contemporary issue,” and if there exists a “one side” today that requires steadfast advocacy, it’s western civilization in its second-decade struggle against radical Islam.

—————————————–

RELATED COLUMNS

Liberal plan for electoral reform shows no logic beyond self-interest
Trudeau can’t play the nice guy role forever
Trudeau’s electoral reform dreams headed for collision with constitution
Trudeau refugee policy trainwreck offers glimpse of his governing style
Trudeau’s refugee plan is a reckless fantasy
—————————————-

The conservative movement of the previous generation was in large part a diverse anti-communist alliance. To this day, when talking to older conservatives, even the softest “Red Tory” types, I’m always struck by how quickly a Soviet analogy will surface. The right prides itself on unapologetically backing the correct side of the Cold War, the greatest moral conflict of the 20th century, and now craves equal resolve in the war against Islamic fascism, the successor conflict in mankind’s permanent battle to preserve freedom. That this fight will have a military dimension is unanimously understood and relatively uncontroversial; the need to defend the home front from domestic terror and Sharia chauvinism in an age of diversity and open borders, by contrast, is a popular cause in need of stronger political advocates.

Liberals of previous eras, like the current prime minister’s father, maintained that the conflict between the Communist bloc and the democratic world was either exaggerated, morally ambiguous, or slightly tilted in the Communists’ favor. In retrospect, such people look immoral and embarrassing, and in time so will the Angela Merkels and Justin Trudeaus of our age, who interpret the present clash of civilizations as a cheerful test of tolerance.

Will the Tory party muster the confidence to realize its generational calling, or simply retreat to its own postmodern malaise? Will it look at poll numbers and see a supportive base on which to build, or learn fashionable but wrong lessons from Stephen Harper’s defeat? The stakes are too high for Conservatives to concede the conventional wisdom of their opponents.

Hadn't heard of this site so wasn't sure if it was satire or not until like halfway through.

Really cool that some people in the political scene are looking at Trump and being like "hey this race war stuff really seems to turn some people on, we should totally try that here!"

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 19, 2016

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Trudeau can’t play the nice guy role forever
Trudeau’s electoral reform dreams headed for collision with constitution
Trudeau refugee policy trainwreck offers glimpse of his governing style
Trudeau’s refugee plan is a reckless fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Monaghan posted:

loving lol I can understand them not wanting to rush legalization legislation but not even committing to doing so before the next federal election, four years from now?

gently caress blair forever.

Ah well, as much as I'd like to be able to purchase dank nugzzz totally above board and have the tax revenues properly captured, I'm starting to think whatever the government ends up coming up with (if they ever do) is going to be a much shittier situation then our current one in terms of price, variety, convenience, etc. The situation with the weed stores is pretty awesome right now, government is just going to gently caress it up with over regulation.