Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The difference between what is morally right and what is legally right got LF shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

As opposed to the difference between Sarah Michelle Gellar and a household pet, which is what got Morally Inept shut down.

quoting this for the funny forum quotes thread

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

trans doesn't mean transition it means transcend. officially even nonbinary people are trans now, according to some tweets. also its less cutting off and more "hotdog origami" but w/e

Can confirm my origami hurts like hell right now

Anyone who says I’m doing this for fun can have the surgery and see if all the pain and agony and effort changes their mind.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

But now you can sneak into safe spaces and, I dunno, radicalize them? Is that how it works? I was never clear on that part of the trans agenda.

honey, all I want to loving do is take a piss. or do whatever people normally do in that space, up to and including lesbian sex clubs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Wasn’t me, but I thought the post was fun + good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Do you remember what thread it was in? I vaguely remember I was trying to be supportive and now I worry I've left someone hanging unsupported.

It was me you were supporting on the previous page of this thread (and you did fine) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=488#post492385837

Hence why I specified I had nothing to do with the red text

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lmao jesus christ we're all olds now

:corsair: Do ye remember what thread we posted that in? *holds old-timey curly hearing horn up to ear*

I'm almost 30. You don't have an excuse.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

im almost 40 :catbert:

i knew your name looked familiar.

i mentioned doomlady would kick you in the weener for saying that doomguy couldnt be a girl.

i lacked context apparently and i apologize.

i still maintain that there very well could be a doomlady though.

I never disagreed that there could be a doomlady. I just said it really didn’t matter.

Anyway I gave up arguing on the Internet in 2019 so that’s all I have to say.

And apology accepted. No worries.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Slippery posted:

Look at this scrub who doesn't know about Thursday Next

Christ this is a good reference, even if she isn’t technically a historian.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Slippery posted:

Thank you!! :)

I knew it was a bit of a stretch but I figured, when would the next opportunity come to reference that :)

Very, very true.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

If it quacks like a milkshake duck...

Speaking of there is a new twist in the milkshake duck story

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1099437419269476358?s=21

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

It was actually Slenderman and Shmorky that got together and decided to get Trump elected.

S + S = T! It all makes SENSE!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I mean, it’s a lonely guy who’s never had a gf, let alone sex. He imagines a “knight in shining armor” scenario where he saves her and she realizes he will do anything for her and so they have sex and yes I am the goon in the story

You have excuses. More like oldeggshellless.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Jus please no one start talking about their labuela

is that the new justin beaver song?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

holy poo poo lmao

it's impressive how many tranny jokes there are in that thread, glad to see that the forums have grown up in 12 years

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Outrail posted:

Fulfilling the bare minimum requirment for the propagation of the species seems like an odd fetish.

All fetishes and kinks are weird to one degree or another. But breeding and tradwife poo poo are definitely kinks to some people.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

which end is the top

I don't see any topping or bottoming on that list, therefore my needs are unfulfilled

and yeah, tcc/gip/tfr kind of really don't fit the forums these days

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paladinus posted:

So imagine if instead of injecting a drug into your veins, you would have a gigantic syringe with a drug and suck your self inside through the needle, thus injecting yourself into the drug. Maybe that would be more effective. Worth a try.

is this a vore thing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

:love: believe in good things goons u deserve it :love:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I now feel bad about all those times I teased you about living in Moscow FAU. :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Super Troopers 2 couldn't possibly live up to the greatness of 1 so don't go in expecting that. If you go in expecting a mediocre movie but featuring the same beloved characters, you're fine.

It was fun watching with an American and poking fun at all the country stereotype jokes. They got Canada down pretty well as a comedic subject, honestly. The movie is full of double-layered jokes with broad Canadian stereotypes that then get undermined and reveal real Canadian experiences.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Untrustable posted:

I'm currently reading House of Leaves and I feel like I need to take a step down in reading level. Holy poo poo this book is DENSE.

Some novels are intentionally impenetrable and everything I have ever read about House of Leaves leads me to suspect that's the case with that book.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

It's not that impenetrable on a surface level really as long as you can keep two separate plotlines straight. It's a fun read, don't be afraid to give it a shot

Oh, I do mean to read it. I'm just used to novels that are intentionally difficult to read, and that was my take on House of Leaves.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

sorry your gangly writer crush had one good idea in the 80s and has been coasting on it ever since.

edit- oh, i just realized gaiman is basically F. Scott Fitzgerald in that he's the more famous of the couple despite being way less talented than his wife.

No I’m okay with saying Neil Gaiman is more talented than Amanda loving Palmer

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jabor posted:

Truthfully saying that somebody did a lovely yet legal thing doesn't open you up to a lawsuit.

Exaggerating things because you were legitimately in love with someone and are incredibly angry at them for cheating on you definitely could though.

Unfortunately China Mieville is a frequent collaborator with Zak S. Zak is a rapist/abuser/harasser who is currently suing his ex for going public about all the poo poo he did to her. And I’m sure China’s taking notes for when people go public about his own stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. That little shitweasel really does have tendrils all through geekdom, doesn't he.

Did Mieville ever make a statement about MM and others coming forward about Zak's abuse?

haha of course not

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm about to read all three of these on your recommendation so they better be good.

I’ll second this recommendation, they’re good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Is that the one where the goddess of magic is just "this random bear that was in the woods at the right time" for a week or so?

Yes, that comes after the next time a bunch of poo poo with the Gods goes down.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Someone get me some titles cause damned if that god war and magic bear doesn't sound bugfuck insane enough to be amazing.
These are all Forgotten Realms books.

God War is the Avatar trilogy: Shadowdale, Tantras, Waterdeep. There are two later additions, Prince of Lies and Crucible, if you want to keep reading about Cyric and Kelemvor.

Bear God is the 4e Elminster trilogy: Elminster Must Die, Bury Elminster Deep, Elminster Enraged.

I have no idea how any of this is going to read to someone new who doesn’t know anything about the Forgotten Realms. Crazy, yes, readable, I’m not sure. The Avatar trilogy is also the background for the popular Baldur’s Gate series of computer RPGs, I should note.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There’s little crossovers here and there but nothing super major. Back in the day when all of these settings were getting real attention TSR didn’t do crossovers much. Instead they had these three big overarching settings that were the connecting glue for the rest of D&D, and they sold those settings as allowing you to travel from one campaign world to another.

Those settings were Spelljammer (magic space flight between planets), Planescape (traveling between alternate dimensions), and Ravenloft (an evil prison horror dimension that everyone super evil from elsewhere in the universe was summoned to.) Each of those has its own books that include content from the other settings. So there’s a Planescape book about the gods and where they live, and it includes the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance gods, but it’s a Planescape book, not a crossover for those two settings.

The only exception I can think of is a popular magazine column by Ed Greenwood called the Wizards Three where Elminster and a wizard from Dragonlance and a wizard from Greyhawk meet and swap stories.

Also if you like Dragonlance there’s a let’s read of the Dragonlance books starting up in Trad Games.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

trick of curation: put tem into an adult mouth for some reason

that’s not going to colleg

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

This works by the way, and every single forum user should know it. You can mark a thread as "unread after this post". Getting to the correct page is still an open problem. The only solution I know of is to hit the back button until you see it in your User Control Panel, observe the count of how many posts you missed, don't click last unread (because it no longer works), then divide the number by 40 and go back that many pages. Then you can use the aforementioned white rectangle button to the left of the post.

I don't see this button at all, and I never have. Is this maybe an SALR thing or something?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

User Profile -> Edit Options -> Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not: yes

This lady has the right of it, it’s an option in the control panel we had turned off.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Aug 1, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Somfin posted:

There's about three layers of why this won't happen

1. fedora
2. trenchcoat
3. dakimakura

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

It being a no gently caress zone is precisely why I need the pillow.

I actually had a doctor prescribe me a pillow like that and I had to hold back from laughing in her face

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Body pillows really do help a lot of people sleep more comfortably.

You don't need to get the sexy blushing underage anthropomorphic machine gun pillowcase.

This was it exactly. It was for creating better sleep patterns to help out with some sleep issues exactly, the prescription was for a body pillow not a Japanese waifu one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

You should shop around for a better doctor

Why? Side sleeping is an actual good sleep technique.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

There is no way Larson isn't brainwormed.

We’ll get to find out soon, there’s going to be new online Far Side stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember back in 05 or 06 someone registering and then posting a late-night thread in GBS about the global threat caused by trans folx. They could be your friends, your coworkers! Teaching your children! A transwoman could have a vagina and could be in your bed right now!

Even back then in the lovely days where words like 'trap' got thrown around casually people had the good sense to say "who gives a poo poo? gently caress off weirdo."

I mean they’re right! I am someone’s friend, someone’s coworker and I am in my bed with my tranny vagina right now!!!’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I feel like there's a missing Trudeau joke in there: "the state has no place in the hexes of the nation"