Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Grouchio posted:

.....But why?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosphorus

we don't want russian ships in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

How many times do you think people are gonna smugly bring up Robert Byrd and act like this resolves the Republican Party of all guilt?

they've been doing the 'the KKK were democrats neener neener' thing for literally 40 years now, it shouldn't even register anymore

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Radish posted:

Jeb! is what rear end in a top hat Boomers and Gen-Xers think Millennials are like with their supposed "everybody gets a trophy" and "I expect to get what I think I deserve right now" attitudes.

He seems like a guy that has coasted through life to great success but thought he did it through his own ability. Now he is finally in a situation where he can't just show up and get a reward and it really hasn't clicked for him yet.

jeb! is the epitome of A for effort not being a thing that exists in the real world. i absolutely believe jeb! has earnestly and honestly worked to get success in life, it's just that hard work doesn't guarantee success and he seems too hopelessly naive to know that

the last line of this article sums it up

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/opinion/sunday/fall-of-the-house-of-bush.html

quote:

Jeb got confused. He thought he was still in an era when people had to pay their dues.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Montasque posted:

NEW Iowa poll from PPP:
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/11/cruz-rising-in-iowa-clinton-back-out-to-dominant-lead.html

Trump 22
Carson 21
Cruz 14
Rubio 10
Huckabee 6
Jindal 6
Jeb 5
Fiorina 5

jeb! below jindal

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I have heard of more than a few Trump and Sanders supporters. I think it boils down to people seeing them both as outsiders that want to change the way the government works. Problem is that the changes they're looking for are completely the opposite of each other. People who only look at the barest surface don't seem to get that though.

they're both in favor of government supporting the middle class like it used to before the Reaganite goof troop came to power. it's a testament to just how bad things have gotten that even the racists are willing to toss the racism aside to vote for bernie

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

it's going to be loving amazing when the american electorate wakes up from its 40 year libertarian fever dream and starts voting for democrats (sanders) and dixiecrats (trump) again

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Interesting enough, bt it seems to miss out on a lot of the actual history of the conservative movement in favor of its internal hagiography, and thus doesn't understand why it pursues the goals it does, and thus why it can't break from them.

Well it is written by a self-ID'd former neocon.

I think the article is a little soft on movement conservatism and its merits, and seems a little nostalgic for the golden days of Reagan and the late 70s, but it is 100% correct in its assesment that conservatism is a dead/undead ideology that has no future except being slowly ground down to nothing by liberalism

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 6, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

maybe i'm just not progressive enough but i can't feel bad for people that vote for people that slash the benefits of others and then get their own benefits slashed

most of those people are aware on some level of what they're voting for. they're just so consumed by bile and hatred that they'd rather see it all burn including themselves than let other people benefit at all. they made their bed, now they can sleep in it

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They don't seem to be the only people consumed by bile and hatred. I don't think bad decisions should lead to destitution and death. Not even voting R, or being gerrymandered into having R-dominated districts.

I'm not saying it's a good thing. I'm saying it's the reality, that the Republican electorate got exactly what it wished for, and this is the result. Whether it's good or it's bad, you can't blame that outcome on anyone other than the people who wished for and implemented it

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so what happened in the debate? did trump come out ahead or at least not behind?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

anyone who thinks the protesters should do anything other than storm the university's head office, raise the red flag from the roof, and declare Full Communism should have their D&D card revoked. complaining about the hurt feelings of CNN reporters should get you a term in a labor camp on top of that

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

joeburz posted:

But have you thought of the free speeches and the liberties???

you know what we do to liberals around here

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

leftism's not liberalism

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

If he was throwing rocks through windows ok maybe. He threatened to murder people. 19 is old enough to know what that is. Throw they book at him.

i mean, if you threw the book at every edgy, ironically racist 19 year old shitlord you would depirve 4chan of its entire userbase and reddit of half

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Maarek posted:

If you are a protester the media is not really your friend, as they generally support the narrative of the powerful. The media is, however, a tool that you absolutely must use for your protest to actually work. If you have thousands of people demanding your college president resign and no one from the media reports on it, well, just ask the Iraq war protesters what it's like to have them ignore your demonstrations. I'm glad they invited the reporters back and I think if this is the biggest mistake those kids make their movement is going to be fine. That said, I don't care who you are you do not get to take a piece of the commons and fence it off and claim it as your own. That campus is also Tim Tai's home, too.

If you're a person who advocates safe spaces and trigger warnings the stuff espoused in this article is probably more damaging to your cause than anything else. Safe spaces are supposed to be places where you are safe from abuse, not one where you put a velvet rope up and bounce out everyone who's not your friend, right? This article makes it seem like people who just want to not be harassed are actually trying to invade everyone else's space and, to use a popular term, colonize it for themselves.

how is this different from "where's the safe space for the straight white men? :qq:"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

is there actually a legal precedent that public universities must allow free speech on their campuses? could i drive down to missouri tomorrow with a truckload of 'jews did 9/11' signs and parade them around on campus? because if not, appeals to free speech w/r/t these protestors fall much flatter to me

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JT Jag posted:

There are often sanctioned free speech zones you can occupy to say whatever the hell you want. Sometimes they have to be reserved.

I'm imagining like a 10mx10m box surrounded by police cordons and laughing

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

alpha_destroy posted:

And even that ends up being controversial! Earlier this semester black students occupied speaker circle so they could have an anti-racism rally and some kid started yelling that they were violating his free speech since they wouldn't allow the blaring of loud techno music to drown them out.

sounds like some tumblrite far-left tyrrany to me. pretty soon we'll all be wearing identical jumpsuits and referred to by numbers instead of names

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

comes along bort posted:

poo poo like that happens all the time on campuses with abortion protests and street preachers and the like. There's generally a permitting or approval process depending on the school.

but they could reject any request for approval arbitrarily, correct?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Wanting to record an ongoing protest as part of your job is equivalent to parading around with hate speech laden signs?

Legally speaking, it sounds like it yes

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

For a completely different, historical discussion: I saw mentioned in the right wing media thread something about the Missouri protesters wanting to remove busts of Jefferson due to his slaveowning legacy, and it got me thinking about the Democratic Party and its ideological heritage. Would it be accurate to say that the United States prior to the Reagan realignment of the 70s had essentially two separate, parallel liberal political traditions, roughly corresponding to the Jeffersonian-Jacksonian Democratic Party, and the Hamiltonian-Whig Republican Party, and that these two collapsed into one single one embodied in the post-70s Democratic Party? In that case the realignment of the 70s would probably be the most significant, fundamental political shift in the United States' history

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 11, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I've always found the realignment theory only partially valid, in so far as the party that is not the Democratic Party has always been defined as the party of industrial interests, while the Democratic Party has defined itself in opposition to whatever interests industry is currently pushing (be it abolitionism, the gold standard, loose monetary policy leading to the Great Depression, high taxes, etc.)

The only exception to that would be Republican anti-trust movements during the Progressive Era, but otherwise it holds pretty well.

I think it has a lot to do with split between the north and south and the political inclinations of their respective elites, and as the country gained a newly minted, postwar middle class that cut across that split the two streams collapsed into one. At the same time it also ended liberal dominance, because the northern and southern conservatives also collapsed into one, and were strong enough together to achieve a level of influence they had never managed apart

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so how does the military deal with hearing protection? i'm assuming all soldiers are just basically deaf? do they tell you you're going to lose your hearing when you sign up? (ahahahaha of course they don't)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gecnan posted:

http://download.militaryonesource.mil/12038/MOS/Reports/2013-Demographics-Report.pdf

Latinos are combined into the 69 % white active duty stat.

I'm 10 years Navy and never once heard anyone ask to go shoot Muslims. I've heard lots of talk justifying profiling but no crusaders exist as far as I've witnessed.

But hey generalize the military.

ahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahaaha get hosed

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

radical meme posted:

A person who earnestly wants a gun silencer is a person that should never be allowed to own any gun.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Is this that Trump tweet from a few weeks ago that he walked back or something else?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-ben-carson-stories-stupid-people-iowa/story?id=35168986

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

if you thought this primary was insane now, wait till the end when Trump pulls everyone else down along with himself into the burning final implosion

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Jihadist terror in the Middle East will never end as long as they have consistent sources of income. Sunni terrorists are the most prevalent and dangerous, and they are bankrolled by the Persian Gulf petrostates. Any intervention will be futile until this arrangement ends.

IMO Israel Palestine is the actual cause of the Arab states being hosed. And Israel Palestine will never be solved because the US will never end its unilateral support for Israeli apartheid and ethnic cleansing.

The gulf states are an important source of funding for Wahhabists, but they're not the actual political impetus for Wahhabism being a thing

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zoux posted:

Is there a meaningful (read:practical) distinction between Wahabism and Salafism?

not that I'm aware of. i think Wahhabism is a stricter concept referring to the teachings of a guy named al-Wahhab, and Salafism is fundamentalist political Islam in general

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zoux posted:

Pretty sure Russia has a Judeo Christian belief system.

their pure aryan-jewish lineage has been tained by mongol blood so now they're an asiatic power, sorry

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 17, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Not a Children posted:

:lol: Referencing an undertaking nearly universally regarded as an enormous mistake as proper support for one's stance

Is this really the country I live in? Are things really this hosed up?

:yeah:

The only upshot is that the Reagan/Bush mainline GOP establishment will finally collapse under the weight of all the white racism, leaving a weak, diverse center left and a plurality of angry, single-minded bigots. I'm not even sure that's an upshot though

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

There's still a year to the general, this will be out of the news cycle in a few weeks and if there are no more major attacks in that time things will be fine

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Thump! posted:

Who the hell is this Ben Ghazi character?

Nobody outside the hardcore GOP base gives a poo poo about Benghazi or has since it first exited the normal news cycle

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zionist shitrag The New Republic has a story :qq:-ing about people comparing Syrian refugees to 30s-era Jewish refugees

https://newrepublic.com/article/124298/problem-comparing-syrian-jewish-refugees

quote:

The heated anti-immigrant talk from many European and American politicians in the aftermath of the Paris attacks has led those of us who find that response abhorrent to seek out strategies of our own. Things like, for example, reminding that the attackers were European. But the pro-refugee argument that seems to have stuck is the Holocaust analogy, which goes as follows: On the eve of the Holocaust, Americans held unfavorable opinions about Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany and elsewhere in Europe, which, as the punditry goes, is like Republican rhetoric on immigration.
Signal

Consider the assumption that lies at the heart of the comparison: No one today would think to advocate for turning away Jews, right? To which I feel compelled to ask: Are we so sure?
Phoebe Maltz Bovy

On a certain level I get it. As a Jew, I can’t see news about the current refugee crisis without thinking about the Jews who were turned away from the United States when fleeing Nazi Germany. Not all Jews, of course, have had this reaction, but I’m hardly alone. It’s not a perfect analogy—are they ever?—but the essential point holds: People fleeing oppression should not be conflated with their oppressors, and are actually uniquely helpless once that sort of rhetoric is underway. But as I watched the analogy go viral (see also Ishaan Tharoor’s recent follow-up) in the mainstream press, I began to feel that famous sense of Jewish unease. The current Syrian refugee crisis—and the largely xenophobic response—is really not about Jews. The analogy puts Jews at the center of the symbolic action, which is really the last place we need to be. Anti-Semitism is, at its core, the belief that everything bad on this planet (and perhaps on others as well) happens because of Jewish misdeeds. It’s not so much about straightforwardly hating Jews as it is about wildly overestimating Jews’ influence. As such, anti-Semitism rests on a broader, if not necessarily Jew-hating, conviction, namely that Jews are simply central.

As is quite clear at this point, ISIS and other likeminded extremist groups already use Jews as a symbol of the West. Or, to put this in more urgent, less abstract terms: A Jewish teacher was stabbed in France a few days ago, reportedly by someone in an Islamic State shirt. Swedish Jews are under threat as well. From the extremist view of things, this is totally about Jews—symbolic Jews, yes, but also the real ones who find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The use of Jews—or, rather, The Jews—to make points that are at most tangentially related to Jews has a long tradition in France, with Jews representing the secular Republic to its friends and foes alike. And as the refugee analogy suggests, Jewish-analogizing is hardly limited to reactionaries, or to xenophobic causes. The progressive left—and by this I mean the Jew-friendly branch of it—analogizes as well. But I always hesitate when I see my favorite thinkers on civil-rights issues not specifically related to Jews (Dan Savage on gay rights, Ta-Nehisi Coates on African American rights) using Jews to make their points, whether in a casual, no-one-would-say-this-about-the-Jews way, or with a more sophisticated historical analogy. And it’s not—let me make this abundantly clear—that Jewish-analogizing is anti-Semitic. It’s not! Often enough, a particular analogy will perfectly well serve some greater—urgent, even—point. The problem is that in the aggregate, this repeated centering of Jews, these repeated rhetorical reminders of Jews, no matter what the subject at hand, have a way of further installing Jews in the position of eternal symbol. And it’s not so great at the symbolic center. Being there means attracting the fury not just of those who straightforwardly hate Jews, but also that of anyone with any opinion on just about any contentious issue. Which is a lot to bear.

While the European-Jews-and-Syrian-refugees analogy itself is sound, there is something that doesn’t sit right about the reasons it keeps getting made outside a Jewish-specific context. Consider the assumption that lies at the heart of the comparison: No one today would think to advocate for turning away Jews, right? To which I feel compelled to ask: Are we so sure? Nodding along to the analogy means, in a sense, agreeing that anti-Semitism is over, and that it’s simply been replaced by anti-Muslim bigotry. Which, no—there’s plenty of bigotry to go around! While it’s true that the political right these days in the U.S., embraces a certain enemy-of-my-enemy philo-Semitism (see especially Mike Huckabee), anti-Semitism has hardly disappeared. It’s not so much Jews as Jewish Holocaust victims who are sacrosanct. The line of progressive argument—whether on Syrian refugees or other topics—that’s about insisting that no one would ever dare say whatever it is about Jews has a way of missing the fact that people actually do dare say all kinds of things about Jews, all the time.

So: Is the point that Syrian refugees would, in a couple generations, become undifferentiated white people, and perhaps create a clever sitcom or two? Or is it that “Nazis are bad” is a truth that most people (not just Jews!) can get behind? Or maybe the analogy is about saying that today’s xenophobes are also Judeophiles, which, while true in some partial, tenuous sense (see, again, Huckabee), ignores that thing, not unheard-of in the West, where white Christian sorts hate all minorities. As for whether the analogy has the potential to change the mind of anyone who wouldn’t have spontaneously come up with this connection… there I have my doubts.

There are very few of us Jews in the world. We neither caused the world’s problems nor hold the answers. So if we’re not central to whichever issue of the day—and typically, we’re not—maybe consider leaving us, as an entity, out of it.

i'm the whining about Jews being brought into everything, right after a few paragraphs of "but what about US??????"

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 20, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Not since Chris Hughes bought it from Marty "gently caress arabs" Peretz

i know, i just thought it was funny. maybe a relapse?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

stephenfry posted:

it should be noted that Krugman is a strange person to hold up as an authority, considering he is a strange thing these days: a purportedly liberal economist whose idealised priority is the old-fashioned "growth" of an economy or the "maximization" of GDP, rather than the collective human good (via reduction of inequality) or ecological stability Piketty's generation are interested in.

you seem confused re:what the word 'liberal' means

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Wales Grey posted:

I'd agree with stephenfry if this wasn't the USPOL thread, and therefore operating on US standards. (Feet, Pounds, Foot Pounds, Miles, Color, etc.)

Krugman is 150% in the liberal tradition, and not just in the specifically American sense of the word. Utilitarian GDP maximization is as liberal as liberal gets. Bernie is also a liberal, albeit one who has his own weird formulation of liberal ideology.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 21, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

This drops his focus on international economic issues in a very unfair way. That he would pick a policy that reduced domestic inequality to a lesser degree but also addressed global uplift over one that only addressed domestic inequality is not a good criticism basis for anyone who stands on the left side of the political debate

I don't? Liberalism is cool and good, as is Krugman

My problem with a lot of the Bernie-style 'leftist' critiques of liberalism is that they don't seem to have a very good understanding of either liberalism or the far left and their respective intellectual and historical contexts. Bernie isn't a leftist and nobody but American liberals with a vague sense of unease re:economic justice would call him one

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think this has anything to do with emphasis on STEM, but more to do with emphasis on grades over knowledge and commitment. We've called schools out on this for decades, for emphasizing test scores over work quality and commitment.

We need to start to move away from the demand of high grades or no grad, because we're kneecapping our country.

it's definitely the end result of the whole push to 'fix' America's education system by making it more like those run by the industrious Orientals (never mind that East Asian education systems are hot loving garbage and those countries have some of the highest suicide rates in the world)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ceterum censeo Republicanes esse delendas

i think i'm going to end all of my IRL conversations with that from now on

• Locked thread