Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's all part of Webb's MASTER PLAN to screw the Dems for being so mean to him at the debate by stealing precious Virginian votes! :tinfoil:

EDIT: Joe, Jim, James, Jeb, whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I like the part where Trump and Carson appear out of nowhere around May and suddenly skyrocket to success :allears:

This is the best election season ever you guys

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

SumYungGui posted:

What, again? Phone posting so I don't have the link but that was a thing like a week or two ago.

I gotcha: a Hispanic student protestor was assaulted during a Trump rally just a week ago.

EDIT: Here's a link to the full video.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

Uhh, I haven't been keeping up. Why was Ky's Governor race a big deal?

It was also polling really close, so there was a chance the Dem might actually squeak it out.

...and yeah, the Republican is literally insane.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Everblight posted:

please let this be a thing

Checks out.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Fixed link is here.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Oh god life is turning into 30 rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbG4RT1yMlg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8Nd6kkWmo

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Meanwhile, in Israel...

quote:

The United States takes offense at comments by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's new communications director accusing President Barack Obama of anti-Semitism and suggesting that Secretary of State John Kerry had the mental abilities of a 12-year-old, the State Department said on Thursday.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Crain posted:

My parents are 100% certain he's legitimately running for president. They're Dem as hell so they're not voting for him, but they don't see his actions and...person as being anything but genuine.

They've also said that they could totally understand feeling that they "have" to vote for the man based on his work as a doctor if you were a former patient of his, or family of a former patient. Which is a scary thought:

"His policies are horrible, He's pretty close to the "danger" zone of religious belief, and it's becoming pretty clear that outside of being a brain mechanic he's a terrible doctor; But he "save" me/my kid/my brother/etc so I have to vote for him."

People just love coming up with theoreticals and then declaring them as fact. They frequently bear no resemblance to what they'd really do in those circumstances, and it helps you feel like you're in control when you probably have no freaking clue what's going through someone's head.

Which is pretty much why we're dealing with this political shitshow, actually.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

eSports Chaebol posted:

Don't you literally need a congressperson to write you a recommendation? I mean it's more of a formality than anything, it's not like your local congressperson will say no if a West Point recruiter asks them to write one, but the point is maybe Carson is confused because even the ads for West Point are lying!

The process of getting a nomination from a congresscritter is actually pretty competitive, you have to submit a bunch of letters of recommendation and test scores and have your application go up against the others your Rep/Senator's received. Each office only has a certain number of nominations.

If you happen to have a letter of recommendation from a freaking General, though, you really would be a shoo-in.

Edit: I'm not aware of a system where an officer could nominate someone directly. A system of days past? :shrug:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

More fun facts about getting into the military academies: the only other people besides your Congressperson woman can nominate are the President and the Vice President, so if absolutely necessary you can always try to throw yourself on the mercy of ol' Diamond Joe. :clint:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

quote:

homes in which children are raised to be stumbled by the Dumbledores and by the mentors of Hiccup in ‘How to Train Your Dragon’!”

The real miracle is that a human being can say that without bursting into laughter.

Look, I'm using humor as a coping mechanism. Let me roll with it.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

In terms of just general exposure, its hard for people to even think about DVR-ing them if they're lost in that sort of programming shuffle. It's also harder to capture the national narrative in the way that the RNC has for each of their debates. Being on Saturday/Sunday almost assures that instead of getting two or three whole news cycles out of it, you get some talk on the Sunday morning shows (which is preaching to the choir) and maybe a note on Monday morning as an after thought.

Exactly. Even the most watched debates are only going to capture a fraction of the public, capturing the attention of the news cycle for as long as possible is far more important so your message can seep into the lives of people who don't actually care about this stuff that much (aka almost everyone).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

Lol if you're a registered Democrat

Being a party member is often required to vote in the primaries. :v:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

Yeah, but sending out emails entitled "ALL IS LOST" inspires despair and exasperation, not fear.

Learning that this is literally how the DNC is marketing itself is teaching me a lot about the last decade or so of American politics.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

greatn posted:

Time to read So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson

I do feel for her, she got singled out for doing something student leaders told her to do to support their cause and her career is likely dead and gone. Academia is highly competitive, she's DOA.

On the other hand, maybe a comms professor who fails to realize that telling someone in the media to gently caress off is basically asking for an onslaught of think pieces about media suppression and press rights shouldn't be teaching quite yet.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Internet Webguy posted:

Considering any other hairstyle would spotlight his male pattern baldness, he doesn't have many options.

He kind of has a Lex Luthor look without the hair.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:magical: Oh yes

yes I am here for this

:mitt: Mitt-senpai :love:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

Mon français est tres rouille, mais something like:

Blood. Still happening, something about the wind, extremely nervous, soldiers and police going..... I don't know what gens en larnes means sorry, I've not lived in French territory in 12 years, does it show?

« en larmes » literally means in tears. :(

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Joementum posted:

Uh oh, the Louisiana Gubernatorial is getting frothy.

Not sure that's going to provide an effective contrast for Vitter though :shrug:

If only this was a video so I could watch Santorum say things like "risqué adult hip-hop night club" or "vulgar sexy boogie-woogie discothèque" or "racy smutty rhythm-and-blues nightspot" or "lewd rude rap dancehall" or

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

The whole "my wife didn't want me to run" or pretending like you're above the fray is a tactic used to make them look more familiar and friendly with the public in interviews like that.

No politician who ever says they want to spend more time with their family really does.

If they did, they would just do it and not :words: about it. Or not take a 24/7 job like being a Congressperson in the first place.

This isn't any different than anyone else, of course, but we like to pretend politicians are noble creatures who mean what they say.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Triglav posted:

I'm sure some of that was due to people not knowing exactly what channel CBS was. For whatever reason it wasn't listed in TV Guide books either, for the old folks who still subscribe.

Is there no end to the strings DWS will pull in her quest for a spot on :shillary:'s cabinet?! For shame.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

Anyway I think the messaging battle of "Syrian refugees =/= ISIS fighters" has already been lost.

I'm still a little stunned at how fast that happened. International Rescue Committee and UNHCR hosed that up royally (although since they, you know, actually provide services for refugees instead of relentlessly focusing on manipulating American public opinion, I've already forgiven them and then some).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Antti posted:

Yeah, when it comes to the Republicans, that battle was lost long ago. This is a perfectly logical extension of their nativism and if anything I'm surprised they hadn't picked up on this line of rhetoric before, since it's old hat in the Old World by now. For once we get to export right-wing insanity to the US instead of importing it!

It's still kind of baffling an event in France triggered this. It's almost like they were just waiting for the next appropriate attack to roll it out. Charlie Hebdo must have been too early with regards to the political cycle to use that.

The Dems have been trying for years to try to create proactive rather than reactive liberal PR machines but it's hard to counter the ultimate PR machine of actually holding offices.

IRC posted this three hours ago on their Facebook, but it's going to be an uphill battle now that the Rs got themselves a sweet headline. Sad that they should have been thinking about launching a spin campaign after the Paris attacks, but as you said, nativism's been a top Republican talking point for years (also thanks a bunch Maggie Hassan).

EDIT: Especially sad and weird since the media's been covering how awful things are for refugees for months prior. So much for all that goodwill.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its the Jews fleeing from Germany/Europe. all over again.

Jeb! is apparently calling for keeping all the (non-Christian) refugees in safe zones, so it's also the former Yugoslavia all over again.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Amergin posted:

Except the Jews didn't want to strap vests onto themselves and kill civilians in their new homes.

Nah, we're more the steal-and-kill-your-children-for-our-satanic-rituals kind of people. Good thing everyone spread the word and made sure so few of us got into America during the Holocaust or you'd have a serious national security problem on your hands today! :yum:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

6% of Lousiana knows how to party.

I have faith that it's 10.4% :allears:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Boon posted:

It's probably misconstruing the question, but we've been historically pretty good at applying the military in terms of national power, what we've been bad at is applying diplomatic and economic strength in support of the same strategic ends.

We "defeated" the USSR through our diplomatic and economic efforts as much as (if not more so) than any military ones.

Not sure if "not falling to pieces as a nation" can really be considered a massive victory, of course, but the Cold War can hardly be considered a military victory.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

That doesn't clear anything up. If their "concerns" aren't based on racism, then what are they based on? Because they have nothing to fear from these people.

Yeah, how is this piece "nuanced"? It's literally just "these people aren't bigots because I say so," when it should be immediately obvious that you don't have to be a bigot to engage in bigoted, opportunistic behavior because, say, you want to jump on a popular Republican bandwagon that makes it look as though you're being Tough on Terrorism. Even smart, highly respected people will readily do truly horrible things because they think they're in their personal best interest.

EDIT: ^^^ This is still a clear messaging coup, and the government and refugee advocacy/resettlement should have immediately begun running interference and explaining their screening procedures as clearly as humanly possible. Many of which are already on it, to be clear.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

radical meme posted:

If the Democrats response to these Governors is going to be, "you fuckers are racists and bigots and you're stupid too", then be prepared for to get hosed by this issue for months to come. Hillary and Bernie and Obama need to have more in their responses than just, "you people are stupid bigots".

Good thing that's what they're already doing.

And of course no serious politician is going to just call any other politician up and just say "stop being a bigot".

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

radical meme posted:

And this leads to the problem with a lot of Democrat positions; trying to explain a complicated solution to a Right Wing sound bite.

Yep. :sigh:

^^ I don't think they're pandering as much as "Hey, here are the facts about our screening process, are you really sure you know what you're doing here? Yes? OK then. :suicide:"

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

:cripes: Flipping on paid family leave is not going to win her votes; because it's something that both left AND middle can get behind.

To be a fly on the wall of the meeting where they decided "yes, now is the time to announce we're against paid family leave, Americans will just eat up our low tax stance!"

Talk about admitting defeat before the battle's even begun.

EDIT: ^^ Welp, never mind. Abandoning it altogether to tackle the general just sounded all too plausible.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Just tax everyone at 99% except the rich and complete the dark enlightenment.

*mashes on peddle furiously trying to accelerate instead is a boot mashing on humanity forever*

OK, I'm pulling this thread out of its tailspin with some choice new Trollbama quotes.

quote:

Which Game of Thrones character is Donald Trump?
Uh…I don’t think…I don’t think any of them rise to that level.

If you were campaigning against Trump, would you even bother? Would it be like LaBradford Smith talking trash to Jordan or something?
I would’ve enjoyed campaigning against Trump. That would’ve been fun.

What’s the most entertaining conspiracy theory you ever read about yourself?
That military exercises we were doing in Texas were designed to begin martial law so that I could usurp the Constitution and stay in power longer. Anybody who thinks I could get away with telling Michelle I’m going to be president any longer than eight years does not know my wife.

There are also apparently more executive actions to come on gun control.

The interview's still a little depressing, since it's a retrospective on the Obama presidency and the difficulties it's had getting things done and moving quickly, but Obama always gives interesting interview.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I think we can do this using shortwave radio. It's pretty easy to broadcast to the rest of the world that way. We could call the department something like "Voice of America."

Not Christian enough, maybe something like "Voice of God".

On Kerry: if you don't really know what you're talking about when it comes to terrorism, it's surprisingly easy to begin babbling like this. Kerry's response of feeling at a loss is also common enough in the aftermath of mass killings though, and he does recognize that the point of the attack was to cause terror.

I'm still being reminded all over again why GWB started saying stupid poo poo like "they hate us for our freedoms." It's just comically easy for terrorism to disable leaders' critical thinking skills.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Joementum posted:

Somewhere on the island of Capri, at the bottom of a bottle of Limoncello, lies a piece of paper that begins, "The Proof that Hillary Did It". Lynn Westmoreland will find that paper. :patriot:

Backed at home by resolve, confidence, patience, determination, and continued support, we will prevail...over the [leftist] aggressor!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

a shameful boehner posted:

It's okay, I'm sure Doctors Without Borders will pick up the slack

I don't understand why Republicans are so against Medicaid expansion, since enrollment clearly leads to Republican votes!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Mulva posted:

It's probably not as universally condemned as you think, on the American political right it's seen as the one time a Democratic president did something right

Amusingly enough, Reagan was the one who signed the bill that finally gave Japanese camp survivors reparations (over his and Republican objections, of course, since federal spending :supaburn:), and ol' HW held a nice big ceremony to present the survivors with their checks.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Homeless refugees only in this country!

Logikv9 posted:

it's almost too easy how ISIS can count on America being dumb

Yeah, I'm increasingly convinced that AQ wasn't actually that smart in getting America to shoot itself in the foot, they just did the obvious and let things play out.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

So stupid, refugees get resettled all the time from outside their receiving state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

As far as we know none of the attackers were actually Syrian refugees, correct? Has anyone in the public square actually pointed this out to people? Or are we just going to let this whole "ISIS is in Syria therefore all Syrians are in ISIS" nonsense continue until we have violence and calls for mass deportations?

Yes. Yes. And maybe, but one can hope.

We have Chris Christie literally saying he won't admit orphan children, who can pose no possible threat to anyone. This has nothing to do with national security and everything to do with perceptions of societal security.

Which is just a fancy way of saying they're literally racist.

• Locked thread