Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

CortezFantastic posted:

should stop posting

D&D would die, as would every other subforum except TFR. Something Awful would become Something Armed, and become entirely about gunchat. Guerilla nonwhite posters roam from thread to thread, posting racially ambiguous photos of themselves and setting off destructive, multipage firestorms. LeJackal rules as the undisputed warlord of petty gun related minutiae. Pet Island holds out as a small minority of cat obsessives feverishly ignores the outside world, paying off the juntas with red panda gifs. The future is bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Arlington County, VA. There are literally zero Republicans on my ballot. :v: There are a couple independents for municipal seats and a Green Party candidate for the State Senate, but yeah. It is great being in the minority bastion of Virginia.

Downtown Richmond, so same here. There's one weird independent candidate challenging my Senator, but she's cool and won't lose. I'm just crossing my fingers and sacrificing a goat that the race across the river in Watkins' old district goes the correct and good way.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Solkanar512 posted:

I'd like to imagine that you sometimes see Cantor wandering around your district and you get to point and laugh at him because he missed out on being speaker. Maybe offer to treat him to a steak dinner while you're at it.

Believe me, Cantor never walks around that district. Walking is for the poors.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

US Politics Megathread November, or, In Which it is Debated Which Ideologically Incorrect Opinions Merit the Guillotine: All Of Them, or None?

turns out the truth is in the middle, Cartman

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Bluedeanie posted:

Facebook is blowing up that MU'S campus has gone to hell. Someone on yikyak claimed they planned to shoot any black person they see so classes are allegedly closing tomorrow.

Mission accomplished I suspect!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

CNN's story on their front page does, actually note that.

The right wing isn't the only group capable of complaining about the media not covering things it is definitely covering.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

AtraMorS posted:

Part of it is that the definition of racism gets more slippery when you get outside of lay/dictionary definitions; in more academic discourse, it can also refer to the whole system or social apparatus that works to disadvantage people of color or other racial/ethnic groups. Think of it as an -ism like in "capitalism," not a belief structure like, say, "idealism." The definition is sociological rather than philosophical, and it excludes the possibility of the disadvantaged group acting with any sort of racial privilege outside of very limited circumstances. If a black guy calls a white guy a cracker, the incident isn't an example of racism because it's not contributing to the broad system of racial privilege in our society (and the black guy himself is not a racist for the same reason). We could still call it bigotry though, or maybe hate speech. After all, the SPLC lists plenty of black nationalist groups.

In an academic setting, this can be useful as shorthand to talk about broad social phenomena and the like, but it obviously runs into problems with ordinary usage. Student protests are one of the most likely places for these two arenas to butt heads, where you've got people who know a little theory but don't yet understand the limitations of specialized language (or professors who forgot the camera feed wasn't going to a peer review panel).

I mean, you're completely right. But you're not.

Exactly. It's a collision of two different vocabularies, and it comes off to anyone not "with it" as totally preposterous because black people can, manifestly, be racist, in the common sense. So it appears like disingenuous reframing of the discussion for little benefit. After all, is it really any better to be "prejudiced" or "bigoted" than "racist," except that we've successfully turned the word "racist" into one of the biggest Bad Things of all?

Since we're on the subject of messaging.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Killer robot posted:

In my experience the distinction between personal bigotry and institutional discrimination, and the way the two have an additive effect, isn't really hard to explain or for people to understand. The problem is that it seldom comes up when someone isn't trying to defend a bigot as cool and good, accuse one of damage they weren't capable of, or more broadly use it as a proxy battle for custody of the well-established and rhetorically powerful "-ism" words their argument needs to control.

It's actually pretty impressive how we, as a society, have managed to invest the word "racism" with apparently magical power, sort of like saying "Pazuzu" three times. Kind of heartening, actually-- it reflects an extreme societal disapproval that, while limited to the more obvious expressions of the phenomenon, is a good thing to have around. It's not surprising that people get in slapfights over who gets to wield that magic power.

everyone gets to use it, dehumanize yourself and face to racism

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

My old youth pastor just spent a week in eastern Turkey volunteering with international aid groups that were outfitting and supplying refugee camps. :unsmith: So today I went back and read all of her daily updates on Facebook and looked at her pictures. A good antidote to the hate in the news. All of the refugees looked exhausted but so grateful for any human kindness.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

What really gets to me is the sheer number of people pouring out of the woodwork to insist that we can't help refugees because of but homeless veterans or but they'd be so much better off in a Muslim country!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm baffled as to why people keep engaging with Fishmech.

Same terrible compulsion that forces people to gaze into the Ark of the Covenant, I assume.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Liberal_L33t posted:

Lotta posters in this thread really mad about people who don't like spicy food.

agreed, I particularly enjoy getting to skip four-page slapfights about who is using the most ideologically correct language and who should be guillotined, and in comparison foodchat is cogent and educational

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Antti posted:

They probably committed the classic blunder of not asking white people whether they mean racism against white people when they say racism is a problem.

White people are not monolithic and evil. In general, most Americans truly believe that racism, including against black people, is a bad thing. The word "racism" has successfully become pathologized. The problem comes when connecting instances of racism with the concept of racism, as many people connect it with things like lunch counter sit-ins and water hoses, not the more subtle stuff which they don't encounter regularly. Terminological battles about what exactly counts as racism doesn't help matters.

It's also tricky because the word "racist" is so powerfully reviled that it makes it near-impossible for someone to recognize when they themselves have been racist. It'd be like calling yourself a murderer or a rapist, except lacking that comforting fuzz of implausibility. So cognitive biases get redirected full-force into denying that you were racist... which must, of course, mean that what you were doing wasn't racism. Rinse, repeat.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 24, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I'm not sure I see how this article, while unfortunately revealing one of the problems with race relations in America, refutes my point? It's actually more evidence that white people generally object to racism, they just identify it more strongly with stuff that doesn't happen as much anymore (lynchings, water hoses, slavery, officially refusing the franchise). Also, some white people believe racism against white people is a more serious problem, which makes them pretty wrong and also obstacles to progress in this regard.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

McAlister posted:

Bans on advertising junk food to kids and sharp toothed anti-slander laws being things that exist in modern, healthy, democracies.

I don't think we necessarily want to beef up our slander laws, of all things. Look at the ridiculous stuff that goes on over in the various Britpol related threads, where posters are reluctant to post certain pieces of information. That sort of law is much more easily wielded by the elite against the powerless than vice versa.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Too late, that specific scenario is already happening to a degree in academia

Political correctness is ruining our universities! :monocle:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

evilweasel posted:

That's slander or libel, as you've phrased it and the damaged party can sue for it. You don't need a new law. This law already exists.

Yup. The law is already more or less as you describe it. Libel and slander laws are actually one of the areas of jurisprudence that the US does quite well. The burden of proof is as high as it is because that's necessary to protect public discourse-- including, importantly, the validity of truthfulness (actual or believed) as a defense. And proving knowing deceit is very tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

We'll never know

http://nbcnews.to/1Iqm3ny

WE'LL NEVER KNOW

Holy poo poo. If he'd said "allahu akbar" the media sure as hell wouldn't be reminding us that he also said lots of stuff and it's not clear how much his Wahhabist beliefs and Daesh affiliation played into this.

• Locked thread