Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
There's lots of Masterbuilt chat in the actual BBQ thread. I've had the MB40 for like 4 years and love the hell out of it. Highly recommend. It's tall, but not super deep, so if you're looking to do Turkey, it won't fit a massive one. Two smaller should be fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Every supermarket that I have ever been to has whole ducks. They aren't near the chickens though. They're usually frozen, right near the whole turkeys. They usually only have 3-5 of them, so if there is an empty spot next to the turkeys, there used to be ducks there, and somebody bought them all.

As for fitting a whole turkey in the MB40, technically there's more than enough cubic inches in there, but the MB is tall, wide, and thin. I am not at my house right now to check, but if I had to guess, I would say that it is only about 10ish inches DEEP, which would be your limiting factor.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'm tired of replacing my nonstick skillets every 2 years, and can now afford better than the $15 Chef's Choice ones. Is the Calphalon Unison mentioned in the OP still the recommended best nonstick? What about the ones with the checkerboard pattern I see TV chefs use?

I'm willing to spend up to $200 for a 10"/12" combo set with lids, or the equivalent piecemeal. Please give me advice Goon Hivemind.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'd been hearing that nonstick tech had been improving in the durability department. Is that not really the consensus?

Vast majority of use is eggs. We make fried/scrambled/omelettes probably 4 days a week, so they see a lot of use. We do take good care of them, never using metal utensils and handwashing with non-abrasive sponges, they just see a lot of use.

I'm already well stocked on other pans, with a full range of All-Clad pots and pans, with a carbon steel wok.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That does not match my experience, honestly. I've done eggs in the stainless pans a few times when the nonstick are either dirty or otherwise engaged, and even with plenty of butter, there is always a solid layer of egg stuck wherever it touched.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Search "salt cellar" on Amazon. There's a metric shitload of options under $12.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I have both a Kitchenaid Pro and a Bosch Universal. They are very good at different things.

The KA is absolutely fantastic for anything with the paddle attachment. Think cookies, cakes, etc... Get one of the aftermarket Edge Beaters and it's even better. The KA is however, garbage at kneading bread with the dough hook. I'd try pizza dough, and after 30 minutes, there would be virtually no good gluten development. On the flipside, the Bosch would be smooth and get great window paning at 10 minutes, but drier doughs like cookies take forever for it to actually incorporate all of the flour on the edges of the bowl. The center column on the Bosch is super annoying for batters like cakes, because I constantly feel like I am leaving half the batter in the bowl if I don't spend 5 minutes scraping every inch of it. The KA however is a quick and easy bowl to scrape.

If you are even remotely serious about bread, get the Bosch. I started off wanting to be cheap(er) and thought the KA would be fine, but ended up having to dump out every bread that I made and finish it off by hand (nice). I now own both.

Edit: And yes, I tried different batch sizes in the KA, from half batches to double batches. The larger batches saw very slightly better results, but still not adequate.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
drat, that Ankarsrum looks wild! I want, but have no need for, one!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'm in a small house, with a kitchen smaller than you would expect in a small house, and already own a KA and Bosch. I have no space left for another stand mixer. 95% of my use is bread, which the Bosch is already amazing at, so cannot justify trading it in for an Ankarsrum. Should be moving into a new, much bigger house in the next few years, so I'll definitely be looking into one then.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Confusingly, some convection oven manufacturers already try to invisibly adjust by changing the temp for you. My oven runs 30 degrees cooler when on convection, but says it's the same. So you set it to 350 convection, it heats up to 320 and starts up the fan, and stays at 320.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on drip coffee makers with thermal carafes under or around $100? Our current Melitta from a few years ago is starting to act up.

This was the drip recommendation from the Coffee Thread when I went looking. I've had this one for probably 3 years and it's great.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Wall-mounted magnetic strips all the way.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you don't care about whole raspberry seeds, and big chunks of blueberry skins, a $30 Oster blender will be fine for smoothies, you will just likely need to replace it when it breaks down every year or two.

If you want a smooth texture, a Ninja will do great. It's 80% as good as a Vitamix, for 50% of the price. I love mine.

If you want a completely smooth, velvety texture, you need to get a Vitamix or Blendtec.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I just bought my dad a Thermopop for Father’s Day. Now I’m trying to think of a good second gift in the $70 range, and I can use some help from this thread. My dad isn’t an easy guy to buy for, but I know he likes to cook and he likes to bake, so those might be good places to start.

Ideas? Thoughts?

If he doesn't have any Silpat baking sheets, he will LOVE them. They're the perfect gift because they are awesome, but you feel silly spending that much on something so simple for yourself. I spent years wanting them but going "Pfffft! It's silly to spend $15 each, when I can just use $0.08 worth of parchment paper to accomplish the same thing." Get him 2 or more, just make sure you get the right size for his baking sheets.

Now, no more annoying paper curling, no replacing/washing between batches of cookies, dishwasher safe, etc... I cannot speak highly enough of them for people who like to bake.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone have any knowledge of/experience with a vacuum sealer wider than the 8" (or is it 10"?) FoodSaver? I'm making wheels of cheese that I want to vacuum pack, but they don't fit into the FS bags. I was hoping that there was something bigger than FoodSaver that still works the same way, instead of having to spend $600+ for a chamber sealer, but am not finding much.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
My wife is a woodworker who worked at a high-end custom woodshop for years before finishing her degree and she made all of our cutting boards. We use soap and water, and she only oils them about once a month. HTH.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Nitro cold brew is just normal cold brew that is dispensed through a tap driven by nitro, like Guinness. It just makes it a little creamy, and is like 90% gimmick. If the nitro cold brew you get is way better than your own iced coffee, it's because the iced coffee itself is way better than yours and you'll get a lot more value out of improving your cold brewing method/ingredients.

All that being said, if you really want to, you totally can setup your own nitro system. Ballpark like $250 for a cheap small one. I have been out of the game for a while, but go ask in the home brewing thread. A bunch of homebrew goons have setup systems for their beer.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Burr grinders are uniquely great at getting a consistent size of particle. You want this for coffee so that all of the grounds extract in the same amount of time and you don't underextract half, and overextract the other. I'm not sure how fine they can actually get since you usually don't want to grind super fine. They are more expensive than blade grinders, but when you're grinding spices you typically want them ground as finely as possible, so just blitzing them in a blade grinder is great.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The amount of flour you have to use to be able to launch from a metal peel is a hard no for me. I tried 3 different ones and they all gave me nothing but trouble. I use a really wet dough though, so a dry one might be less of a pain.

For launching in the inside oven, I use and love: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXYKNLC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

For the big outside oven, I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037XH3JI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The thicker wood is a problem if you are opening and building directly on a counter, and have to pull the pie up and onto the peel. If you can either build on a big cutting board and slide down onto the peel, or if you have a helper who can hold the peel at the edge of the counter, you're golden.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is this a good blender/food processor?
Lady wants something for smoothies and to help chop up food quicker.
I'm looking for a quasi juicer(until I grab Breville Juice Fountain for the home bar) and i have no idea if this will help me at all

Edit: Black Friday friendly is a plus

I have the slightly older model of this, and love it. It won't completely liquify fruit seeds like a blendtec/vitamix will, but it's pretty close. It's 80% as good, for 30% the price. It's actually better for some really thick stuff like hummus, since the blades going all the way up are much better at keeping a vortex going.

The food processor side works fine, it's just not very big.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

wormil posted:

Don't most of those youtube people use propane stoves?

Many still do, but induction is quite literally, the new hotness.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I bought this guy about a year ago and freaking love it. Feels much sturdier than the last cheap one that I had and works perfectly.

I legit enjoy making fresh pasta even more than I enjoy eating it afterwards.

Edit: If you end up enjoying making pasta, get the lasagnette attachment. It's my favorite pasta, at a nice middle ground between fettuccine and papardelle.

Stay far away from the ravioli attachment though. It underfills and then squeezes filling all over the seams so they end up not sticking together well. There really is not actual shortcut for filled pastas.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 7, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Hexigrammus posted:

Seconding this. I looked at other brands but everything except one other Italian brand felt cheap and flimsy in comparison. My grandkids will probably be inheriting this machine.

Sad to hear the ravioli attachment doesn't work. I was suspicious about it and haven't got around to buying one yet. Back to Plan B - any recomendations for a tray or are there other ways to do it?

I haven't tried any of the trays, but seems like they should work and provide a consistent product. Right now I'm just doing the filling on one side, fold over method, or the double line of filling and lay another full sheet over the top. They come out rustic, but great.

I. M. Gei posted:

Funny you say this, I was just looking at a similar model that comes in a bunch of colors. Might be the same one, I’m not sure.

Yeah, looks to be the same 8320 model. Be aware though, none of the other cutters/attachments/motor are available in colors as far as I can tell, so you won't be able to match. I'd personally just get the standard stainless/chrome finish, since all of the attachments will match. If you super want a blue/red main unit though, more power to you.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Just make rice when you need it! it's not like you're saving money by trying to keep 20 cents of rice warm for 2+ days

Having rice warm and ready when I get home from work starving is great.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Recommend me the best wok

Go to an Asian market and get a carbon steel wok from there in whatever size your burner can handle. There's not really an AllClad type quality differentiation in woks.

Edit: If you are in a city with no Asian markets and want Amazon, this will be good.

You'll want a wok ring for your gas stove. If you have a electric. I'd just not buy a wok, or buy a dedicated wok burner.

Also, season it will from the very beginning for fewer headaches down the road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndv-uT94BGM

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 8, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

Follow up question, how much do you guys use your stand mixers? I make cookies and egg pasta once a month or so and I'm interested in learning bread/cakes but I'm wondering if the stand mixer really does anything that you couldn't do with more elbow grease instead.

Can I get the recipe for that cookies and egg pasta? Sounds a little weird, but if you make it once a month, it must be great right?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
ATK just did a full review of dutch ovens the other day. It's a great watch, and informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoW1eyYD0zI

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
poo poo, y'all are right. It really has gone from cool sciency testing to "Let's bang some lids and drop them off the counter". Except the heavy duty cutting board from a few weeks ago. That was robots slicing a million times, and oil absorption rate testing.

Other than that though... drat....

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I have had the OXO Good Grips one for like 10 years now, and it's as sturdy and functional as ever. I have the cutting type, not the smooth edges top remover.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
DID ALL OF YOU EZ DUZ IT CANOPENER ZEALOTS GET TOGETHER AND SABOTAGE MY OXO?!?!?

Seriously... Been going strong for a decade, I make a recommendation for it, 3 hours later it stops wanting to open cans almost completely. Took me like 5 minutes to open 3 cans far enough to pry them open with a knife enough to pour out some chickpeas.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Make crazy smooth hummus IMO.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the pepper grinder everyone loves that powders like 4 oz of peppercorns with half a rotation?

Unicorn Magnum. Seriously.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Discussion Quorum posted:

Unrelated:

My Krups coffee grinder died after a decade+. Is that still the go-to tool for spice grinding? The Cuisinart with the removable stainless cup sounds appealing but the Amazon reviews don't speak well of its quality.

I have both the Krupa and the Cuisinart. The Cuisinart looks great, interchangeable, multiple size bowls are great. It’s super easy to clean. It’s just pretty bad at grinding spices... anything relatively tough like cumin takes at least 90 seconds while constantly shaking it in your hands. Light stuff like coriander never gets well ground because it’s just flying around at the top.

Get the Krups again...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

sterster posted:

What's a unique kitchen tool for about 25$ that I could get for my secret Santa. She didn't specify what she wanted so just looking for some kitchen ideas.

Gnocchi board made out of a nice wood like Walnut.

Olive wood spoon

Unicorn magnum pepper grinder

All of the pre-portioned ingredients to YOUR favorite thing to cook, with the recipe hand written/typed and printed.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Helith posted:

Ah, you think they hitched a ride in some of the nuts I bought. That's very possible. I'm going to deep clean my pantry anyway to make sure there are no moths lurking in something else.
From a quick google it seems you can store nuts in your freezer so I might start doing that as it's always the nuts that seem to attract the moths.

While still living with my parents, we dealt with a pantry moth problem. You should probably make sure that you have insurance before you settle on burning your place to the ground and salting the ashes.

Edit: I have heard here in GWS that salting your house BEFORE burning it down is actually better.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Verisimilidude posted:

I've had the F. Dick offset knife for almost 5 years now and it's still going strong. I use it for bread and (more often) breaking down butternut squash and it's still perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/F-8505518-Pro-Dynamic-Offset-Utility/dp/B07DR8VXPT/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=f+dick+bread+knife&qid=1581736819&sr=8-4

Alternatively, I'm sure this Mercer knife for a third of the price will be perfectly fine, though not nearly as ridged and sturdy as the F. Dick.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-M23890WBH-Millennia-9-Inch/dp/B01F35UKJW/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=f+dick+bread+knife&qid=1581736883&sr=8-6

I like that Mercer knows their target audience. "Serrated is too pro chef jargony! We'll call it a 'wavy edge' knife!"

As is the answer to all "what's a reasonably priced X knife" questions, the Victorinox.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

The magnum feels good but I would not recommend it unless you've used it and are ok with its output. Its finest setting is extremely coarse, like "this pepper is crunchy" coarse.

I’ve had mine for like 6 years and this has not been my experience. It’s not powder, but definitely not crunchy. The pepper still completely disappears into whatever I use it in.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

You might when you do the math on a brisket rub and think about how many twists you need for 3/4 cup of ground pepper.

Brisket is the single application I can think of that I want pre-ground pepper. It’s not the effort of grinding that I want to avoid. I find that the piperine is overpowering when using as much as I need for a good coating.

Store bought coarse grind is the exact flavor I want on a brisket.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Skyarb posted:

OK I am not a professional chef by any means, and often times I use a rotary cheese grater, because I find micro planes just take forever despite how much I have used them.

In the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6QWoOQMvE8&t=549s

Kenji is just a beast at microplaning a MASSIVE amount of pecorino in no time. Is it just because he is top chef, or am I not using a good enough microplane?

Kenji IS pro and probably better than you, but that is also a specific cheese microplane with larger teeth. It will chew through a block of hard cheese way faster than one of the skinnier microplanes, or just any microplane with the smaller teeth for zesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I prefer tighter seals to easier access. I called to verify they were issuing day passes to the public, and am going to head up there, shortly. I wish I had a chest freezer. I can’t go through a case of anything by myself. I guess I’ll just get some containers.

On another note, I griped earlier in this thread about the KitchenAid Pro 5 I bought. Underpowered, shakes like an earthquake above speed two, etc. How do people like the Professional 600? I bought one. It’s apparently been on my porch since Friday. Amazon hosed up the color, and now all the other colors are “unavailable,” but I paid $319 for it instead of the $479 I paid for the Pro 5.

I just unpacked it, and haven’t had a chance to make anything with it. I’m just curious what the general opinion of the Professional 600 is. It seems like a no-brainer for $319, unless there’s some known terrible problem with it. I read KitchenAid cut out the bullshit and went back to all-metal gears, and that’s the main thing I think of when I think of problems with mixers.

I got my pro 600 6ish years ago and love it. Get a beater blade for it. It's loud and squeaky, but does an immaculate job of scraping the sides so you don't have to.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bea...88523746&sr=8-5