Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
This is a much better thread to ask this in.

What are the rules of interaction between Simple Green and Forgeworld resin? Can I soak resin in simple green overnight, or will I wake up to a bowl of very expensive sludge? Or will I get a model that looks initially fine but reenacts that one scene from Robocop when I apply any pressure to it?

I've got some Forgeworld stuff that seems like it's got some mold-release agent that has hardened into a thin, hard-as-glass shell, and which did not respond to an overnight soak in Dawn, toothbrush scrub, and trip through an ultrasonic cleaner.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Hey, here's a question for y'all. Has there ever been an illo of a Mark III Raven Guard in the style of classic Herey "Forward view, plus gun, plus bio of this marine at the time this pict-cast was captured" armor color workup illos? Book III: Extermination has helmets and shoulders, a Mark II (in Pale Nomads grey), a Mark IV (assault and recon variants), and a Mark VI, as well as a Terminator, a Contemptor, and some vehicles, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with the leg plate trim and rivets on a Mark III tactical marine with a heavy bolter, and I feel like I'm trapped between "Black looks too plain" and "Silver looks too Iron Hands." I feel like being able to see a solution worked out by a professional visual designer might help.

(Not strictly a 30k question; I'm just doing up my Fifth Company in Heresy-era colors and heraldry to contrast with my Fourth Company Primaris.)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mango Polo posted:

Outriders own though

Those things are resin pieces sitting over scout bike chassies, right?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

Finished the last of my allied detachment tonight. The Great Paintening begins this weekend

I understand there seems to be an approach to photographing unpainted vs painted models among certain hobbyists where the unpainted stuff is photographed in black and white, but I’d love to see a color photo of this so i can more easily tell where the greenstuff is.

Also yeah those are amazing and inspiring. Wow.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JcDent posted:

Ah, but how do you do that at the exact center?

I'm just happy that I managed too not gently caress it up when drilling the barrel for the BSF squat sniper.

Make your pilot hole with the tip of an exacto knife, and then inspect it. Is it off-center? If so, widen it a bit with the same exacto knife by carving a bit off the side opposite the direction it's off-center towards. If you're careful this will help you create a properly centered pilot hole. Don't drill until the pilot hole is centered.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Hold on. It says that unlike the other primarchs, he'll have a limited edition separate scenic base available.

Don't... the other primarchs... just come with their breakaway scenic bases?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I... like? ...how the new Space Wolves unit looks?

I didn’t know ForgeWorld was allowed to do SW units that looked okay.

Also, looks like I was right about Sanguinius not getting the normal breakaway display base all the other primarchs get, but only getting a limited edition deluxe one that’s just the size of the normal primarch display bases. Pity.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 2, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Any serious or ridiculous 30k-related Warhammer Fest reveal predictions for this Warhammer Fest reveal bingo card I seem to have decided to do?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

DJ Dizzy posted:

Atomantic Pavaise

You mean like... as a piece of gear you glue on Deredeos?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

It was shown at an event years ago and has never been seen since.

Ah! Yes, that’s perfect.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I have a possibly dumb Heresy-related question.

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about the possibility of the Siege of Terra being expanded out to, like, forty books, because the Heresy series was originally supposed to be, what, eight? And we all saw how that went.

And the friend went "No, it's still officially eight mainline books. There's just a lot of spinoffs."

Is this true and if so which are the mainline books that still claim to adhere to the original roadmap. I sort of want to try reading just them and seeing if it makes any sense.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The upside to these explanations is I guess I won the argument.

(It wasn’t really an argument.)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I read the first one, and I thought it was an okay-to-promising setup for some decent epic tragedy melodrama, but with the benefit of seeing what followed it’s pretty obvious that promise wasn’t delivers on. I read... a fifth of the second one and stopped.

I also read Corax: Nevermore because at this point I’m a mark for my birbgoths. The revelation that Space Marines work because they’re all super-double-secretly a little bit part chaos daemon is pretty funny.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
This seems applicable here as well.

Stephenls posted:

And after a ton of testing: Easy "truescale" (that is, at the same scale as the new chaos marines, which is to say mean height of 31.5mm at the eye, accounting for variability in leg poses) Mark III Space Marines.

You will need:

-A Mark III Space Marine
-A sheet of 0.5mm plasticard
-Some sort of putty like green stuff or something.

Step 1: cut out three 2mm x 4mm rectangles of the plasticard and glue them together, then glue them into the rectangular cavity in the Space Marine's waist ball socket. This will extend the marine's height by approximately 1mm.

Step 2: Cut out two smaller rectangles (I think I used roughly 2mm x 1.5mm) of the plasticard and glue them together, then glue them into the rectangular cavity of the Space Marine's neck ball socket. This will extend the marine's height by approximately another 0.5mm and make his neck not look so weirdly short as the necks do on that armor mark.

Step 3: Use some green stuff or other gap-filling putty to fill in the gap around the waist and neck this leaves when you glue the legs and head on. You can disguise it around the back with ammo pouches, and around the front it won't be so visible because of the metal loincloth thing.

That's it.

Unfortunately bringing up Mark IV and VIII marines are going to be more involved, since they're on average 1mm shorter than the Mark IIIs and don't have the loincloth. (Loin... plate?)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

I remember that truescale was a pretty big movement in the hobby a number of years ago. The new MK3 kits are way easier to bulk up compared to what people were doing with the older generation of SM/CSM kits. The bulky armor is really forgiving.

The recesses I'm using for the plasticard spacers almost make me think the kit was designed for what I'm doing here.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Endman posted:

I’m afraid I can’t unsee their weirdly low knees now you’ve raised the torso.

Booley posted:

The proportions of those don't look right. There's a reason the people truscaling do it mostly with shin inserts rather than extending the waist.

JBP posted:

It's like the weird dude who you're taller than but when you sit down to dinner he's really big and you're like what the hell then you stand up to leave dinner and he's got small legs and you start yelling hey you've got wheels for legs wheels for legs wheels for legs and he cries

Y'all aren't wrong, and I'll probably end up using thigh and shin spacers when I try to figure out how to add 2.5mm height to the Mark IVs, bur re-sculpting the back-of-the-leg detail on the Mark IIIs would be such a pain in the rear end.

EDIT:

On the other hand, if you compare it to the current CSM range, like this:

...the knees seem to be at roughly the same height. That may just be how GW thinks Astartes knees work.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 3, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

tallkidwithglasses posted:

What legion will it be and why will it be taller than the other legions.

Raven Guard.

Which makes this lore-compliant, as Corax did indeed develop bigger marines, a few of whom didn’t even mutate into horrible crow-monsters.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Cool have fun with your alpha legion

First pre-production Mark VI armor, then pre-production Primaris Marines. Stealing from birds: the only reason the Alpha Legion has any cool gear.

JBP posted:

I thought the alpha legion just poisoned a lot of it and stole the remaining good poo poo.

(Yeah this is the less funny answer. One of the Corax books has him fighting alongside his Raptors, some of whom look fine and some of whom are perfectly sane but so hosed up physically that they go into battle with just a bolter and a robe. Birbmonster units would be a good candidate for RG Heresy stuff if FW ever revisits the Legions who already have coverage, though given current ForgeWorld trends this would probably be handled by making them a new kind of Terminator.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 4, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

You could totally run them as black shields with the rejected gene mod fluff

Naw, man, the Raptors were fully integrated into the post-Istvaan Raven Guard Legion structure and fought alongside the regular marines all the time. There's bits in Corax: Nevermore where he's leading an attack by RG legionnaries where the book makes it clear that, like, a third of the attacking force are only wearing partial armor because their mutations are severe enough that they don't fit in Astartes battleplate, and there's casual mention of a few dudes in bolters and robes because they can't wear armor at all -- but because the mutations are primarily physical, they've all got the same Deliverance cultural assumptions and flash-indoctrination training no matter what they look like, so this army that's one third horrible bird mutants are just behaving like regular-rear end Space Marines, barking orders back and forth on the vox and feeling brotherly dedication to each other and vaguely worrying about what will happen to them or their comrades they care so much about if the mutations keep getting worse but being real stoic about it. (Corax murders them all. That's what happens. Corax murders all the mutant Raven Guard and then flees into the Eye of Terror in shame. Thus the remnants of the Legion are spared the fate of both the Space Wolves, who have rampant mutation and don't care, and the Dark Angels, who are obsessed with keeping their dumb shameful secrets, and they are instead free to be a boring Codex-compliant chapter with no particular fanbase.)

You could build a lore-accurate RG legion army by, I dunno, kitbashing some loving Wulfen with crow heads and regular bolters or something and sticking a few here and there throughout your tac squads and then just not treating the weird birdmonsters as anything but normal marines. Admittedly, to do this you'd have to engage with the Wulfen models, so I wouldn't.

I think this did result in them killing a bunch of (ironically) Space Wolves one time, when the Space Wolves saw the birdmonsters and said "You're harboring mutants!" and the RG went "Oh, Christ, can't let that get out."

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 4, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The Raven Guard would be far more interesting with a bunch of bits mashed in from these guys:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warcry-Corvus-Cabal-2019

They’re cool but the scale is off—if you wanted to do e.g. a legionary with one unarmored gnarled feathered arm ending in a clawed hand poking out from under a pauldron and holding a bolt pistol, you’d probably need it it to be beefier than the arms from that kit.

I am planning on trying to learn how to make casts of the bird skulls masks they’re wearing so I can stick ‘em on the front of the RG Reiver helms, but that’s 40k stuff and this is the 30k thread.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Safety Factor posted:

Real talk: 30k RG have a neat pacific islander aesthetic going on in some of the black book art and it'd be great to see it expanded to more of their model range. Their contemptor features some elements, but that's about it. And that's not to say that their models are bad or anything; the mor deythan are fantastic and the dark furies have the insane murder bird thing covered.

Well, Corax hated the Pacific Islander aesthetic dudes and exiled them to the edge of the galaxy, so it’s no wonder they don’t get played up much in core RG stuff.

Which, overall, was a service, as it allowed them to become the objectively far superior Carcharodons Astra. Raven Guard may be My Dudes but I can only look upon the Space Sharks in envy.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Zasze posted:

I'm curious what the split of space sharks vs ashen claws is from the outcasts since tyberos weapons were said to be from the ashen claws armory in outer dark.

Given that the Carcharodons seem to become some sort of monsters as they age and the Ashen Claws don’t (and given that whatever sort of monsters they become don’t seem to have anything to do with sharks), my commentary about the Pale Nomads becoming the Carcharodons is probably just wrong and the Pale Nomads/Dust Clad became the Ashen Claws while some surviving Raptors fled Corax’s purge by following their predecessor-gene-brothers to the same edge of space and became the Carcharodons.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I understand that, but why would you want to buy a ZM board from forgeworld instead of getting something from Death Ray Designs or using necromunda tiles or whatever

Once again: Deadbolt's Derelict by Death Ray Designs. For all of your much cheaper, much more configurable ZM needs.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I just realized something really funny.

The best source for parts to kitbash together the Raven Guard Raptor monstermarines is probably the Gal Vorbak.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Looking for advice. My lady is finally showing interest in some miniature games and digs the look of these models.
She is interested in Alpha Legion or Thousand Sons
I REALLY dig the look of the Grey Slayers of the Space Wolves and the Dark Angels or Ultramarines(never thought I'd ever feel that way about the smurfs). Imperial Fist are always sexy
(I also dig the Word bearers but don't think we should both be traitors)

Would any combo of the ones we like be completely broken against the other?

The plan was to start with Zone Mortalis, as it plays well at smaller points?, and expand from there

I know that the Battle Of Carth has been out of print for ages, so what is the best way to get the models to get started?

Which books do we need? I know there is a $50 book that has the army list crammed in the LEGIONES ASTARTES: AGE OF DARKNESS ARMY LIST
What else do I need besides that?

Thank you

With regards to books, The Horus Heresy was originally built on the Warhammer 40k 6th and 7th editions, so you could play it using the 40k rulebook. 8th is different enough that this won't work, so FW put out the Horus Heresy Age of Darkness Rulebook... or, I believe you could go on using your 7th edition 40k rulebook if you have one. For army lists, there's two main books for Space Marines, the Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List, which covers all the generic units every Legion can field, and then Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Legions, which covers the Legion-specific Rites of War and units for the Alpha Legion, Death Guard, Emperor's Children, Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, Iron Warriors, Night Lords, Raven Guard, Salamanders, Sons of Horus, Ultramarines, Word Bearers, and World Eaters...

...but not the Thousand Sons or Space Wolves, because they're newer than that and show up in The Horus Heresy Book Seven: Inferno, and not the Blood Angels or White Scars because their rules are only in The Horus Heresy Book Eight: Malevolence, and not the Dark Angels either because they're not out yet.

(And then there's two more army list books for the Mechanicum and Solar Auxilia but if you and she both want to do Space Marines they're probably not necessary.)

So if she wants Alpha Legion you need Age of Darkness Army List and Age of Darkness Legions, but if she wants Thousand Sons you'll need Army List + Inferno, in which case you will also probably still need Age of Darkness Legions unless you want to go Space Wolves, and it's up to you whether you want to try to run it using an old 40k 7th edition rulebook or whether you want to use the Age of Darkness Rulebook. The good news is, if you're really into Grey Slayers Space Wolves and she really likes Thousand Sons, then the book you need for the army-specific units for both of those armies is not only just one book and full of delicious art and lore, it's also optimized for running scenarios where those two forces fight each other because it's all about the Burning of Prospero.

As for what's the best way to start... probably some boxes of either Mark III or Mark IV Space Marines purchased from a store that does decent discounts? And from there, the grim darkness of ForgeWorld's resin. Or luck out and find a copy of Burning of Prospero tucked away in the back of some shop. I think FW even mentioned at a con recently that there's no current easy jumping on point for Horus Heresy and it's a problem. The further good news if you like lore compliance is that the MkIIIs are both a) the models that came with Burning of Prospero, and b) the models that are still available in shops and not a GW web-exclusive and which you ought to therefore be able to find at a discount.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 17, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Speaking of boring-rear end non-veteran Legion Tactical Squads and spreadsheets and hypotheticals and things unbuilt:

Legion Tactical Squad with bolt rifles: add chainswords or don’t add chainswords? Is this an obvious yes, an obvious no, or a depends-on-your-list?

(This concerns me as a modeler, obviously, because adding a nuncio-vox or a legion vexilla is as easy as building/painting another guy with it and swapping him out for one of the guys without, but the chainswords are unit-wide and on every model....)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 18, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TTerrible posted:

With what?

Jesus loving Christ.

Anyway you know what I mean. “Not-bolt-pistols.” In my defence, regular bolters are rifle-shaped. I have somehow managed to divide the things in my head into “bolt pistols” and “bolt rifles,” with “bolter” as a generic term, which I know is wrong but have consciously remember is wrong any time it comes up.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 18, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JcDent posted:

IIRC, MKIII/MKIV kits come with enough sheathed chainswords/blades respectively.

Indeed they do, and in the case of the MkIII kit, the sheathed swords are even slightly smaller than the unsheathed one, to make it easier to attach them to the MkIII rear end without dragging on the ground. Speaking of...

Significantly less happy with this guy a few days after the fact than I was when I first put him together. Proportions look off and all the crap I stuck to his belt sort of wrecks his silhouette.

Also I made these...

...and the process of doing so sort of made me want to die, so I don't know if I'll be pursuing that line of inquiry anymore.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JcDent posted:

Yeah, if you want truescale marines, it's less painful and probably faster to learn 3D modeling and print them.

God drat it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
For Mark VI legs the options really are just the four in the 2008 plastic Tacticals, the five pairs of running/jumping FW resin legs in their MkVI kit, and the occasional random plastic MkVI leg pair scattered around for variety in stuff like the Assault Marines, right?

I feel like the freedom afforded by the Prospero/Calth plastics has given me unrealistic expectations the amount of variety that “ought” to be available for any given armor mark.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

adamantium|wang posted:

Mark V come with a total of 2 (two) different legs.

Really? Don’t they have one sprue of three and one of two?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Safety Factor posted:

My mkV are stashed somewhere, but looking at the FW site it seems like they've got three leg types. Standing, stepping, and running. Might even be two running poses? Can't really tell.

Looks like two distinct standing poses as well—one with two feet planted firmly on the ground, one with the right foot down solidly and the left foot just touching the ground with its toes, but with the ankle up.

The two different running poses could be one running pose, with one of them reshaped a bit using hot water or a heat gun, but going from a solid stance to a stance with one foot just toes down is pretty difficult to re-pose, even for resin.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Well, that settles that. The resin MkVIs are about 1mm taller than the plastic MkVIs and only about one 1mm short of my scaled-up-2008-tactical-kit MkVI. Adding a 0.5mm spacer at the waist and neck would be both trivial and produce exactly the height I want, especially in conjunction with a slighty taller base. This did require a bit of re-posing the legs using a mug of hot water, but that'd be necessary anyway when using multiple resin kits.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

panascope posted:

Haha yeah but Sons of Horus are the best.

They do seem to have the best color scheme.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Also the best looking helmets.

No, the Raven Guard are best known for the beakie helms.

Sons of Horus helmets are up there, though.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Hmm. Trademarkable and starts with an I.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Someone on Facebook pointed out that the reverse-Sicaran with the arc-firing energy cannon is actually just the pre-daemon-engine plagueburst crawler and now I kinda like it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
It's novel-accurate; the only thing in there I don't recognize from the novels is the bit about them training on Fenrisian megafauna.

Note that not a single watch pack did their job -- for the loyalist legions who figured out what the watch packs were actually for, it just lead to demoralization and distrust between Legions, and the traitor legions all saw through it and killed off their watch packs before they could accomplish poo poo. Good job, Malcator and Russ, your contingency planning sure saved the day!

(This whole thing is indirectly responsible for Corax loving off into the Eye of Terror instead of sticking around, too -- those Space Wolves that the birdmonster Raven Guard ended up killing were Corax's assigned watch pack, and Corax learning that some of his mutant sons killed off some fellow loyalists and then lied about it is what helped convince him he was a terminal fuckup with no place in the Imperium's future.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Speaking of new units.