Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mango Polo posted:

Oh there we go then, it's a very early one. Good to know they got fixed because I want more, it's such a cool unit.

Yeah I think the new ones have their tracks molded onto the side sections. The FW land raiders and spartan do too now, apparently.

In other news, I have some plastic landraider bits coming that will be the basis of a spartan for my World Eaters. Angron and his Red Butchers need a murderbus to roll around in style (and not eat D weapon shots to the face like a chump).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

He's a praetor level character with a paragon blade and a decent warlord trait (friendly units within 12" can take leadership tests off him) and on a roll of 2+ ignores his first fatal wound for 175pts. Oh, iron halo too. No eternal warrior though, which is kinda hard to come by in 30k.

He's no Kharn, but not bad by any means, I think.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

boom boom boom posted:

pre-Heresy Dark Angels were black?

Yep. They went green after the heresy.

Sir Teabag posted:

"Hey man what happened to your armour, I don't remember it being green?"

"Nooooooooooothing. :gay:"

It must have been hard for the DA to turn up after the heresy, having done nothing that anyone else was aware of and with a dead primarch and destroyed homeworld.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 7, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DeadGame posted:

I didn't understand the novel. Do they have two primarchs? Are they really good guys in disguise? It was confusing.

I like to think that Omegon is basically Tyler Durden. I don't think anyone ever actually sees the two of them together.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BULBASAUR posted:

You dudes who aren't playing Iron Warriors or Word Bearers should probably get in the habit of taking vexillas on your tactical squads. You'll thank me later.

I'm running World Eaters and plan on two (eventually three) large tactical squad blobs. I anticipate heavy casualties, because the only thing I can fit tac squads that large into are spartans and fire raptors-- so the vexilla and its attendant re-roll are handy

So is a legion command squad with standard-- the 12" fearless bubble is a nice touch.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TKIY posted:

Any reason not to run Mk3 shoulders on the Mk4 armour? Mk3 shoulders look better to me.

Hell no. Mix and match to your heart's content. I have a bunch of Mk 3 pauldrons on my Mk 4 marines and they look good I think.

Also, I got some headswaps from here: http://wargameexclusive.com/

There are a bunch of cheesecake-y type models there, but there are also a bunch of excellent Mk II, III and IV heads with crests to be had. Mine arrived today and I've used them to make tactical sergeants and veterans for my command squad. The quality is superb; I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 11, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

According to the Crusade Army List book, you can also run 40k vehicles in 30k and state that they are non-standard patterns of whatever. The idea being that the legions experiemented with new poo poo all the time...

...so hello Land Raider (Great) Crusaders I suppose!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, shouldn't they not have any upgrade kits at all? Just completely unadorned Astartes armor.

I like to think that it's a massive meta-troll from FW. Neglect or marginalize the Iron Warriors players out there so they are as twisted and bitter as their armies.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DeadGame posted:

How are Red Butchers and the Rampager Squads? The World Eaters look pretty good, but going heavy on assault seems risky.

From what I hear, Rampagers are a bit overcosted for what they do (and Caedere weapons aren't totally poo poo hot) but could make a decent retinue unit for Kharn in a land raider if you're feeling a need for SKULLS, but I don't run them so take what I say with a grain of salt. Red Butchers, on the other hand, are fun as hell to paint and are two wound terminators with a 4++ invuln that are slow moving murder machines. They absolutely need some sort of transport though. They're slow as gently caress.

E: I'm building a World Eaters list that is mostly infantry-- 20 man tac blobs seem fun (I'm planning on at least two), particularly where World Eaters can build them to be nasty at shooting and brutal in assault. Also, free chain axes. And apothecaries are your friend.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 14, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

ijyt posted:

Also lets say I was going to go with World Eaters for my Heresy box. Would the first thing to do modelling wise be give all the duders chain axes, and have the terminators with lighting claws?

The books insist on adding a chainaxe to the model if go that upgrade route, but the group I play with doesn't care too much about WYSIWYG, so I get by with adding chain bayonets to everything.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TKIY posted:

The Calth box really doesn't have anything for the tactical marines besides bolters. If you want to go ccw and pistol I guess you are shopping for bits.

Anvil Industries does some nice chainaxe bits if anyone is wondering.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

SteelMentor posted:

Arms are sold separately, but the shoulder joint you attach them to are sold with the main body of the Contemptor. You could magnetize the joint between them though, probably.

Contemptors take magnets really well. You simply slot magnets into the upper arm joint.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

koreban posted:

Apparently there was a bad shipping fuckup in the Portland area from wherever GW's distribution was. My LGS didn't get their Calth boxes on Friday, then Fedex called saying they'd get it Saturday between 7am-12pm, so they had a guy working a 13 hour day show up at 7am to receive the delivery, only to no-show. Of course, no one's available on Sundays to do silly things like track packages or tell you where they lost your poo poo at.

The moral of this story is that I still don't have my Calth box and it was a less-then ideal weekend because of it.

(Still debating myself about which Legion to pick. Toughest part of this dumb game.)

If you're going World Eaters, definitely use the traitor rules. It allows you to use units like the Red Butchers, and their special legion Rite of War that gives them Hatred (Everything) if they are outside their deployment zone.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thundercloud posted:

Forgeworld do a transfer sheet for most legions.

Would probably cover a whole box.

Most of their legion decal sheets have something like 500 decals on them. It'll more than cover an entire box.

I've done a few dozen marines in two different legions in Mk II, III and IV armour. You really don't need an upgrade pack unless you want the extra prettiness. A decal sheet is far cheaper, and if you are using micro sol and micro set, you're good to go.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I wanted a Spartan for my World Eaters, but I did not want to buy the official kit when I felt I could kitbash/scratchbuild my own-- plus, the original Spartan was a classic land raider/rhino kitbash. I've got about $30 in purpose-bought bits in this build (the aftermarket track links and the two land raider side plates). Everything else, including the quad lascannons, are all spares from my bits box, which is a damned sight better than buying a bigass hunk of resin from FW (which is admittedly beautiful). Here's the WIP:

It's a bit longer than a standard land raider. All the rivets are glass microbeads bedded in superglue dots.

The front assault ramps. I mounted the twin heavy bolters in a casemate slightly ahead of the commander/driver position in the elevated tower. The view slits next to the heavy bolters are from a rhino.

Another shot of the whole thing. Sorry about the lighting. I'm hoping to basecoat it white tomorrow and get started on the painting.

The rear of the tank.

E: C&C welcome.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 26, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Recoome posted:

what are the world eaters compensating for with such a long ramp

Short hafts on their chain axes.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Germ posted:

Mine are on my way to me now, so I'm in the same boat. Here's hoping it is as Sulecrist said and just an errata/edit.

I've heard from sources other than Sulecrist that the update is basically just and editing pass with some points rebalancing. I'm keeping my red books so I can go through them with a sharpie and make changes accordingly.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Imagine how pissed Angron would be if he discovered he had actually been leading Alpha Legion troops all along

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hair straight down. People complain of too much wax. Wind through the hair. People complain of whipping hair. You just cant win.

Rock the Angron locks: cables that electrify your brain and turn you into a howling rage-beast. Give no fucks about hair anymore.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

moths posted:

Was base 30k written for 6th?

Yes.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

koreban posted:

I just dropped mad :10bux: for my EC stuff. I'll be putting together models and busting out the purple and pink paints in just a couple weeks.

Can't wait.

I'll be damned if I can't find Phoenix Spears for my sergeants though.

Grey Knights nemesis halberds.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

panascope posted:

I fully support all efforts to antagonize gamers.

I like to think the belated support for the Iron Warriors is an attempt to make their players as bitter as they are.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Every single traitor primarch has poor self esteem and daddy issues.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hencoe posted:

You know it's true.

Yeah but the loyalist ones don't act out on it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Recoome posted:

It's pretty great that the Emperor's Children basically did ???? after they discovered tasty insane psychadelic space riffs and space drugs made out of people

I guess they taught the World Eaters to make crazy bezerkers??

Naw the World Eaters figured out that pretty much by themselves. Do you think those lunatics are stable enough to follow even simple directions from the EC?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TTerrible posted:

Imperial Fists. I have a complicated relationship with yellow.

Yellow's a tough one. Have you given any thought as to how you're going to do it?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TTerrible posted:

My meltdowns about yellow have mostly been confined elsewhere, but right now I think I own every shade of yellow/golden brown in three vallejo ranges. I've spent a year furiously airbrushing snap together marines, but I think I'm ok now.

Stanyer worked out how to bash out IF that look better than mine in a single weekend. :suicide:

As I recall, Liquitex makes a nice spray can yellow that can work fine for IF. Have you considered using something like that as a base and then pin washing with brown or purple for a shade, and then a highlight with a very pale yellow? Throw in a little weathering (dark brown for rust, or a dark silver for tarnished steel) to mix things up a little if you're feeling fancy. With a spray you could have the base down very quickly on a lot of models, and then just rip through the stages in quick batches.

E: I are dumb. I failed to register your post about the airbrush. That should speed things up nicely.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Sivores posted:

Very seldom, a bunch of us are waiting for the new rules to come out.

Theres a huge war gaming community up in Fairbanks, Alaska.

No poo poo. Do you know if there is much of one in Anchorage? I moved up there a few months ago.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just found some rowdy boys who are getting ready for LVO!

gently caress it is soon.

I had a lot of fun painting mine. Plus, Red Butchers are mean motherfuckers in an assault.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

JcDent posted:

Well, those Death Guard make my dudes look like warmed-over crap.

So jelly of you, Amerigoons.

Death Guard are supposed to look like warmed over crap though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BULBASAUR posted:

I really like those. Pert especially, since he totally has that unhinged crazy genius look. Like he looks like the kind of dude that doesn't give a gently caress about you and decimates your legion to make an example. I always pictured him as Space Stalin, but this is way better imo.

He has the same stare as shell shock victims. Even if it doesn't capture him, it captures the character of his legion perfectly.