Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Ruffian Price posted:

I always assume this when people tell me unseasoned chicken has no taste or that there's no difference between Coke Light and Coke Zero. More people need to be aware that spicy food is like going to amped concerts regularly, even if it's enjoyable, if you're not careful, you're gonna lose the ability to enjoy the subtleties :(

Unseasoned chicken has a very nasty taste and smell, at least let it marinate in lemon/sour orange juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Memento posted:

get better chicken

Should we start slap fighting about chicken?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Memento posted:

No, I mean it sincerely, if your chicken has a "very nasty taste and smell" then it's probably not fit to eat.

This could just as easily be the fault of the farming and delivery systems that get it to your fridge as anything.

Chicken has this natural smell and taste that is not that very pleasant, it does not smell rotten if that's what you thought is going on with me. That's why over here, in my country, people will either let it marinate, or add garlic and bay leaves, and onions and even boil it twice to remove any unpleasant-ish taste. Even with fresh chicken, recently beheaded in front of you by the guy at the market.

Yeah.

Edit: No, I'm not exaggerating. Some Mexican markets have some guy selling live chickens and just killing them in that moment. :shrug:

Desperado Bones has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Aug 19, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

----

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

By the looks of it, that was a deliberate bait and LOTS of dumb people and racists are falling for it. Yikes.

*If that's a famous troll account I don't know them, but still yikkkessss.

Desperado Bones has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Sep 2, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To be honest, English is fortunate in only having a gendered third person plural pronoun. Being gender neutral in a language like Hebrew is... an adventure.

Spanish has zero neutral pronouns. None. We are all hosed. And it sucks rear end.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

a fatguy bald spot posted:

I scrolled down really far and couldn’t find a single dissenting comment. what the gently caress

I scrolled a bit and the majority seemed to be bot or sockpuppets.
And I laughed a bit at the very not so subtle sockpuppets in a row going something like "EXACTLY" "EXACTLY" "EXACTLY LIKE THAT!" "I AGREE" "I AGREE" "YES" "EXACTLY"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

And the CEO was Albert Einstein.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

My bills are on auto pay and I often don’t realize I even paid them until I periodically check my account.

lol, same.

But i'm a woman, so in that dude's world i'm dumb when it comes to pay bills.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I never got strong painkillers when I got my two impacted -buried inside my gums- wisdom teeth taken out :psyduck: Only the same poo poo I take for my menstrual cramps. What the gently caress?

Was that a case of "women are faking pain/have high tolerance to pain" medical bullshit?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

Possibly! I don’t know what Mexico is like when it comes to prescribing painkillers though. My mom literally gets hydrocodone for her migraines which wasn’t even a thing I knew opioids were given out for so it definitely varies from doctor to doctor

I think there isn't a big fuzz about it, I remember my aunt had no problems getting painkillers for my uncle (sadly he was too sick already so they weren't working anymore), although there was a published story in a magazine about this doctor not giving morphine to a cancer patient because they would "turn addicted to it". A dying patient who just wanted some small relief.

Overall some doctors are dumb assholes.

Edit:

Croatoan posted:

IDK, I had the same thing but I'm a dude, they had to take them out of the side of my jaw and only gave me Tylenol-3. It sucked. Also, I had it done on 12/23 as that was the only appointment available until like March. That whole Christmas sucked.

Overall some doctors are dumb assholes.

Desperado Bones has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Oct 15, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Holy poo poo. I looked for the recipe and all of them are clearly written by a white person who probably ate some coleslaw (Edit: in some parts of southern Mexico, people will put colesaw in their panuchos or tacos, a lot of times it doesn't have anything but just lime,because the whole flavour is given by the salsas and meat) on a trip to Cancún and is trying to replicate it, and is making some bullshit with loving honey whatthefuck is wrong with you all?

OH GOD I kept reading and...SOMEONE ADDED BEANS.

and mayo...

What in the gently caress

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

After visiting Mexico a dozen times, it's embarrassing what gets called "Mexican" up here. I'm really sorry for our terrible phony Mexican recipes.

I hate you all, really. :negative:
I need to find the video (posted on twitter) of the white lady that was "cooking" pozole and ended up with something that looked like a drunk person's vomit.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ebola Roulette posted:

The wound care place I go to has a policy of not prescribing pain medication. You know, the place that treats burns and bone infections and does fun stuff like cauterization :downs:

As someone who burned her foot with hot water, hot enough for some skin to peel off, and knows the pain.... that is cruel.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

drat, the holiests of shits.
Who the gently caress posted this?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

T-man posted:

I've gotten the star wars mac and cheese before, the noodles tend to be a bit more firm than the normal kind and for some weird reason it's like 10 cents cheaper. I have never had someone comment on it, but I look like a she-basement dweller on my good days.

Eh, I once bought like a dozen of Star Wars Campbell's soup cans, because they were in discount and the price was something ridiculous like 10 mexican pesos each.
Worth all the sodium I got to pour in to my body.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

this is why poor people buy lovely poo poo thank you good bye

I see no lies here.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/iamalexxramos/status/1185205865156141057

Edit: Oh yeah, he starts licking rich people's boots and blaming the poor for being poor later on that thread.

Desperado Bones has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Oct 24, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Biplane posted:

The food at disney world is by no means amazing.

I don't have good memories of Disneyland's food and to this day I regret spending so much money on something that clearly came from a can.

edit: I also don't recall to be annoyed by children when I visited that place. I guess I was so amazed at everything around me that I was ignoring every kid around me. I'm also afraid to heights, so I was very selective on the rides.

Desperado Bones has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Oct 30, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Blizzard has announced that World of Warcraft's next expansion will include new cosmetic options for humans and elves to be black and Asian. The reaction from the player base has been predictable (spoilers for racial slur):

And here it is. I was wondering if the very racist player base had erupted in anger already.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That story just seems hella targeted to own the vague idea of a millienial with Real Stories of What It’s Like To Rear Animals

I’m a millenial vegetarian that knows gently caress all about birds but I work in animal health atm and if a kitten or puppy, especiallly a quiet one, gets super vocal for no reason, that means « oh god please help please help now »

I’m p sure she’s not a good raiser of these animals, who I strongly suspect are not loving pigeons

The bird probably chocked with their own food or was already ill. In my experience wild baby birds are extremely difficult to raise and the chances they will die in the following days are really high (I was a dumb teenager who thought was doing good by picking birds that had fallen from their nests). If you ever find any, better take it with someone who is an expert and knows how to feed them, and with what and can tell if the bird has a disease.

I'm also 100% sure this person already has toxoplasmosis.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Arivia posted:

My understanding (as a white person who took a migrant literature course) is that it’s not for anyone specific, always use Latino/Latina for an actual person. Latinx or Latin@ is merely a collective term to make the English translation easier.

Some people -in my country- hate the term Latinx but merely because they are too vocal about grammatical correctness (when it comes to gender and lgbtq+) and how we should all hail and kiss the butts of the royal spanish academy. The same academy that kept and still keeps saying a lot of words from our everyday vocabulary are bad and don't deserve a place in their spaniard dictionary.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So its like US french but we don't even get to have a country that France can tell how to speak

(or Québec but no one really likes them)

The funniest thing is that we get criticized a lot for taking foreign words and adding them to our language (big example is the spanglish), yet they do the same and then it's ok. :sigh:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Out of curiosity, can someone give a tl;dr of the current educational methods for doing a math problem in your head?

When I was a kid, back in the Pleistocene (i.e. the late 1980s), it was the "imagine doing it on paper and try like hell to remember all the little numbers you wrote in all the various places" method which never ever worked at all for anyone. The only mental math method that ever worked for me was the "pick the nearest 'easy' numbers and then make the corrections back to the actual problem" method, which I had to make up myself because no one ever taught it. Like if it's 21*32, start with 20*30 which is easy, 600. (In case that's not easy, 10*30 is easy, then double that.) Then correct it to 21*30 = one more 30 than (20*30) which was 600, so 630, and then correct the other figure to 21*32 which is two more 21s than (21*30), so that's 630 + (21*2) = 630+42 = 672. It looks a lot more complicated in text than it is in your head, at least if your brain works along similar lines to mine. Anyway, please say they're finally teaching something like this instead of saying you're wrong, you need to imagine the algorithm we do on paper.

I blocked a lot of math from my head a couple of decades ago. :shrug: In my case, once a teacher was able to make put some interest in it, I don't even know how I did it. Hah. I just remember solving calculus mentally, and as fast as I could. Then I started to lose interest on math again and there was no one to snap their fingers and make me get in to it again.

And that's why I'm a graphic designer. :toot:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This kind of thing makes me so glad that SA is so heavily moderated. There's the occasional right wing nutjob that shows up here but they're typically banned/perma'd/run out on a rail in pretty short order. As much as it's a slower online community than drat near anywhere else online, at least it's not riddled with nazi's.

It IS riddled with nazis, they just keep it down here in the forums. :ssh:
I know of ex-goons that claim they got lured in to white supremacy by other goons.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

That's a huge YIKES.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Untrustable posted:

It's on Amazon. Pretty sure it's still free. It's called Stravlin Black. Try to ignore the typos. Also is there a word for when you use the completely wrong word thinking it means something different? Because that happens a fair bit in the book.

Hahaha, I read a bit and he goes right away in to black skeleton ripping people's skeletons, no mystery, no thrill, just THERE, black skeleton out of the blue killing a lady without explanation.

Edit: And oof, that wasn't a very good writing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Here in Colorado there's been a serious problem lately with people finding "abandoned" fawns in the woods and either calling animal control about it, or worse, trying to take care of them themselves. In reality, this is just how deer do: the doe goes off to forage during the day, and the fawns hide in a thicket until she gets back. As you can imagine, the results of this are not great for the deer.

Same happens with new born kittens. Then the dumb people who "rescues" them feed them cow milk and you have stories on facebook of rescuers panicking because of the kittens dying of diarreah.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

I'm seven for eleven. Eight if I can count "murky aura."

I only got two. :smith:
Fat and poor style, if you consider not liking to dress up too feminine poor style (it isn't).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

T-man posted:

I get 7 and I'm a marxist trans feminist with an honest to god degree in gender

No dyed hair B)

I had LASIK like a decade and half ago. :smug:
So checkmate to all chuds out there.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Can I post this here? (Xavier is not the idiot)

https://twitter.com/xrotnofsky/status/1197599468759076864

That's art :allears:

Edit: The poster said a group of MAGA chuds decided to post a public announcement for a small gathering on facebook. Them and their friend decided to check it out just for laughs and welp, laughs happened.

Desperado Bones has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Nov 22, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Did she just assume yodas gender?

:ughh:

Anyways, how was your meeting at Denny's?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:what: are those his dark twisted kinks? I've encountered furries that would put him on shame.
Hell, people who are in to pup play are kinkier than that.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Today I learned about Elagabalus, a Roman emperor who may* have been trans.

*obviously diagnosing someone as having gender dysphoria post-mortem and millennia before the diagnosis existed at a time when history was not quite the discipline it is today is kind of a crapshoot

There were Mexican Revolution war heroes that were transmen. They used the war as an excuse to transition (not medically because it was the 1900's, but socially). One of them even married a lady and was respected in his little village*. Of course his family shat on him when he died and invented a story of how he considered himself always "a woman" because god and transphobic crap.

*The guy shot some idiot that mocked and misgendered him, and made the idiot a warning to anyone else who dare to do the same.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Byzantine posted:

I'm going to confess that I thought that was the whole purpose of dating, like, that's the intent that separates it from just hanging out with friends or meeting new people.

Which absolutely does not condone bigoted violence, before I get accused of that.

Hey, you know how messed up is for us aces when it comes to dating? It's bad because of that thinking. Getting coerced in to an activity you dont enjoy or care about because is "what is expected" by your date/partner is sooo hosed up.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

A person can be asexual but not aromantic

A million times this. Thanks, Rhino.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

With no context I can’t make heads or tails of this

Here's from the mouth of the person that was in charge of the SGT account.
https://twitter.com/xo_pinkishheart/status/1200497040050020355?s=19

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

They are not wrong. :shrug:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

It says a lot about the cleanliness of their homes when they think people do some vacuuming only because :biotruths:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Clicked through to this persons twitter and eventually found people arguing if a 17 year old dating a 16 year old is a pedophile.

That thread made its way into my stream. I stopped reading when someone commented about how they dated an 11 yo when they were seventeen.