Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Can someone give me an idea of what to actually do with this update? What to spend the new currency on, what to do to get it(outside of killing the boss), etc?

I'm still pretty new to this so I haven't bothered following the news and so now I'm kind of overwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

NinjaDebugger posted:

If you're not in a guild, post your name here, I'll boot the inactive guy and shoot you an invite.

My in-game name is Fatbird.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm almost done with the story(I think, anyway. I'm almost done with Ashan) and after that I'm sure I'll have more questions for you.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I'm still mostly just throwing myself at guild/PVP stuff, and coming up on the end of PVE. I decided awhile ago to make myself a core team of 5 and then build up other ones one at a time after my core was done(5 starred, leveled, geared, etc).

Right now, that team is Muzaka, Krut, Raizel, Mas and Raskreia. It has an attacker of each type, some decent but not great Co-op bonuses, a good healer and "tank". All of them are 5-star with the exception of Raizel who should hit it tomorrow, so I'm thinking more about equipment on them now. Is there some kind of rough guide as to what sets should be on what people? Or just stats to build them with in general?

Since they're mostly complete level-wise, who else should I be putting on a list to work on, and roughly what order?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Mardragon posted:

So that is a good team for vanilla PvE, however when you get into Tower of Dawn you are going to need some specific types of heroes with stun, disable, immobilize, charm, aggro, and healing.
You have healing so you need someone like Bearman for agro, Gillan or preferably Raboff for disarm, Serendi for charm, mu or one of the other stunners, and lena for like the 50 things she does well in ToD.

The post above that said this is a sorta roadmap for who else to level:

Thanks for this, I have Serendi and Mu at 4 star just kind of hanging out with terrible gear. Serendi's skills are close to maxed, Mu's....aren't. Since they're already pretty well progressed I'll work on them next, with Raboff after(for guild stuff) and Bearman last.

Is there anything special I should know about gear, aside from just throwing crystals at the shop and hoping for the best, and using platinum gear in the meantime? Should I be leveling up equipment so that I can extract it to build up the alchemy bar faster?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Is Mas an okay target for my first soul scrolls? The MP Regen, combined with a little more MP regen from accessories means he can use his 3rd skill almost every turn.

But honestly, I don't even know if it's that valuable. I WANT to use it on krut but he doesn't have a soul gear, so, :angry fist shaking emoticon:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Would you guys recommend working on Valkyrie now instead of Bearman? Do they even really fill the same role?

Both seem extremely tanky, with the big difference that Bearman can get super high aggro from his skills(I'm honestly not totally clear on how it works. I read somewhere that the cap on aggro is 76%, but his third skill goes up to 95%? With +25% from his passive?) and Valkyrie can taunt. Valkyrie has a ton of extra damage by building as a tank, Bearman is just tough in general.

I got lucky and found the 31% and 21% aggro sets, so I can put those on Valkyrie to sorta-kinda use her as an attention getter. What do you guys think?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I've been doing pretty good the past couple of weeks. I cleared my first DB10 today(which was disappointing! I thought I would get something cool, instead I got 5 Fruel genes instead of the usual 4 :smith: ), I finished a Tower of Dawn on Normal, and I'm on the last battle of Ashan.

But that's the problem now, I'm having a ton of trouble on the the Azrael fight. I'm using Muzaka, Raizel, Raskreia, Krut and Mas, which is(As far as I can tell) a pretty solid team. A complete lack of crowd control, but Serendi is getting chewed up and spit out every time I bring her in(she's at 59, 4*, so she's close!)

I'm using good tactics, but my Mans are just getting rolled over, so I imagine this is the point where I have to actually learn how the game works, what stats are good, things like that. There was an earlier post regarding Platinum gear which was very helpful, but I would like to go further. What stats are actually useful? I had been favoring Dodge, which is apparently a problem. Is there a good resource for how to gear up? Especially for individual characters.

Secondly, I'm running very low on gold and basically never have enough. Any trick to this, aside from running the Nephtys Gold dungeon on it's day?

Lastly, I've got 7 days left to get 9 pieces of the Nobleese gear for Muzaka and Raskreia. I am pretty sure that's enough time, but I don't want to risk missing it. Where's the most efficient place to farm it?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I actually farmed that place non-stop as soon as he launched. Everything about it is super good. Great experience, good drops, Raizel himself is good, good blood stone rate, etc.

I'd still be farming it if he wasn't max skilled and I had a ton of other poo poo to do.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Somefool posted:

Okay, let's talk about Item Optimization.

Thanks a ton for this post, I really appreciate it and it clears up a lot. Two questions for you and then I'll go back to just figuring poo poo out on my own:

1) When something says it increases dodge by 10%, what does that mean exactly? If I have 50% dodge, then equip that, does that mean I now have 60% dodge(50% + 10%), or 55%(50 + (50 * 0.1))?

2) Are there any notable exceptions to the rules up there? I mean, there are of course a few, but which ones really stand out? For example, Serendi has naturally really high dodge, so I was building her very very dodgey. This turned out to be a flaw, because if she didn't dodge, she just died. So, less of an exception than I thought she was.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Mastery doesn't do anything above 100%, right?

I ask because Muzaka has base 100% mastery, but his set gives mastery :goleft:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Somefool posted:

There's one SUPER SPECIFIC situation where having over 100% mastery can help and that's when you face against Moa and he debuffs your hero with his 2nd skill which lowers mastery. But that's so stupidly rare that it doesn't matter.

Anyway, if you transcended Muzaka's set necklace, he should have near 100% mastery. You can replace the 4* and 5* slots with something other than necklaces.

Muzaka's base mastery, with no gear at all, is 100% is what I meant. Which is why it was weird that his set has a necklace.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Hey guys, the never-ending stream off questions continues.

With the addition of raids, what's it looking like for priority for blue gene heroes? Alex has a stun, zero allows water walking in that one stage, etc.

I spent my first batch on shu shu but feel like I kinda got burned there so I'm being more careful this time.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I like how literally doubling her health gets you 0.2% defense.

But yeah I'm incredibly jealous, congrats.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Kind of surprised people wouldn't be actively raiding. Nothing to lose, stuff to gain. Is it a real problem?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Man, this guild boss is such a pain in the rear end. The boss himself isn't too much trouble, but the moment Krut gets hit with confusion that's it, my entire team is dead.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

NinjaDebugger posted:

Keep the status cure available. Queue it up whenever you see someone get stunned or confused, and it'll fire before they lose their turn, guaranteed.

I actually got super lucky and just got confusion immunity potential on him, so that's really really good. Krut is an absolute monster and one-shots basically every non-tank on my team, so any time he ever gets confused or charmed I generally just end battle right then and there.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

When is the next Lost Island due? Guild energy that I've been stockpiling is going to start expiring soon, and I want to know if I should spend it now.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

When I was just starting out I had like 10 million gold and I was genuinely confused as to how it could ever be a problem.

I haven't had more than a million in like, a month. Dolores is the unchanging member of my farming team.

Somefool posted:

http://fwt.wikia.com/wiki/Fantasy_War_Tactics_Wikia

According to the wiki, Chenny is this weekend. Definitely blow all your energy if possible to max her. She will be your best scissor nuker for the longest time since the other strong scissor heroes are late game or difficult to farm.

Chenny is good in all areas of the game so I would also buy those daily scissor coocoos just to level her up quickly. Her stage isn't very difficult if you have a strong Jack. If you have a strong Muza/Krut, then the stage goes by even faster since a single strong rock type should be able to solo each of her clones.

Do not attempt to auto the stage unless you have 4 heroes that can one shot the spawning mobs.

I have Muzaka/Krut, so that's good. I can dump all my bonus energy this weekend and farm up the event tokens while I'm at it.

You mentioned that she's going to be the best scissor nuker for a long time, because the other strong scissors are late game. Just out of curiosity, who are they?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

So right now my Chenny strat is:

Turn 0: turn off auto battle, also on all enemy turns.
Turn 1: hellfire, move krut onto defense tile, hit auto.
Turn 2: move krut as far forward as possible, hit auto.
Turn 3: move krut onto the Lord skill potion, auto.
Turn 4: use kruts 3rd skill which hits both chennys, auto, ai uses 3rd skill at start of next turn, which kills both Chennys.

Anyone know of a faster way? Or a full auto strategy?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Not to mention the hundreds of thousands it'll take you to level that soul gear.

I have Bearmans weapon at level six, I can't tell you how badly I wish I had like 200k more to level it. It's so drat good, and soul shards come so slowly.

P.s. Bearman with soul fist owns. Highly recommend it. I wish there was a way to reduce his maximum mana so he could make use of it in raids.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 4, 2016

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Was kind of late to the guild raid today, got third in guild! Pretty happy with that.

101st guild place, though. Just barely not enough to get top 100 :smith:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Two things:

first, I just realized that my merc has been my awful Deborah for who knows how long, I changed it to my much better(but not incredible) Krut.

Second, if you're in swdoflowtax don't forget to take Ninja's valkyrie into guild raid. Check the daily buff requirements and get as many as you can with units that will die, then just let her run until the 50 turns run out, that'll get us a cool million or so points

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

baram. posted:

i just added yall as thebestalive.

any tips for a new player beyond what's in the op? chars to focus on?

Somefool made a big effort post about this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751670&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=23#post461019990

In fact, see that little ? mark button under peoples avatars, next to the post date? Click that and it'll show you the post history in this thread for that user.

You can pretty much just read Somefool's post history and have a really, really solid idea of what you need to do for an extremely long time.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Helical Nightmares posted:

It's third post in the OP!

:negative:

Not that I don't appreciate the huge amount of effort that went into making the OP, but that post is massive and it's totally impossible for someone fairly new to the game to parse all of that information. I've been playing for awhile now and I still can't make my way through all that info.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Well, first is obviously gonna be that Dolores gear. Then Raboff then maybe Alex? I'd say I'd rather have whatever Krut is gonna get, but who knows when that'll be. That's a really good set of soul gears.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I still have 2 scrolls waiting to be spent, the only one that I saw that was a 100% unquestionably clear winner was Bearmans. Still haven't decided where to put the other two, but there's no need to rush the decision.

Speaking of: Bearmans stun at max rank has a stun chance of 88%. The soul gear adds 20% to that. No matter how it stacks( [88+(88 * 0.2) = 105%], or [88+20% = 108%], I'm not sure which it is but it doesn't really matter for this question), it's a greater than 100% chance to stun. Does the overflow get lost, or does that mean it can potentially bypass flat resists, like the +5% resist you get from the Soul Gear set bonus? Or does it just do nothing? If it does nothing, rank 9 is actually all you need for 100% stun chance, so that would be pretty swell.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Somefool posted:

Are you mathing things wrong? Bearman's max stun rate is 75% at level 10. All soul gear bonus is additive, even the damage ones. This puts Bearman's stun rate at 95% with a level 10 soul gear.

Oh for fucks sake it adds it on the skill description. I figured it wouldn't and so I added the two manually. How did I not notice after all this time, uggghhhh..

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

It might be hard and take you awhile, but I promise he's totally worth it. My okay but not great geared Krut is so far out of my other units league that they aren't even in the same ballpark anymore.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

As far as story mode, I just used my favorites/dudes I thought were most cool until the last few zones(namely ashan), where I switched to Krut, Raizel, Muzaka, Raskreia and Mas. An attacker of each type, good cooperation bonuses, good healer, and Krut is just a ridiculous powerhouse from which there is no escape. Having a decent attacker of each type built up my Lord bar really fast, so I was able to get off quite a few hellfires per game.

After Ashan, I did enough playing around in the harder parts of the game to realize that team is actually really, really bad and I beat Ashan through pure damage alone. Don't get me wrong, each individual unit on that team is actually spectacular, but the team comp itself started falling apart really fast. Came to the conclusion that CC is where it's at, and once I started abusing CC the game got way, way easier in a real hurry. If I were to do it all over again, I think my team comp would be something like Bearman, Krut, Jenny, Gillian, and one of Serendi, Deborah, Raskreia, Raizel, Alex, Raboff or Alfred, depending on what the map was like. I realize that's a wide range of poo poo to think about, but the gist is "Do I need a lot of AOE CC? Serendi, Raboff, Alex or Alfred. Do I need less CC and more raw killing power? Deborah, Raskreia or Raizel".

Honestly, one good CCer is generally enough, but I found that one dedicated CC(Bearman, usually. Just wish his movement was higher.) plus some others who CAN cc but aren't necessarily dedicated to it(jenny, gillian) makes the game way more manageable.

But Krut? Krut stays forever.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Hey guys, I realize Mas and Gillian aren't really interchangeable, but I'm hard-up for support sets so I'm wondering which you guys feel is the better to prioritize for my support slot. I'm generally favoring Gillian, since his third skill is significantly better at keeping people alive than either characters Heals are, but in order for Gill to really heal enough I would need to invest in his soul gear.

I'm still very far from Belle(I did some seriously dumb poo poo with my PVP points, don't ask.), and while Nirvana is this weekend I'm gonna be out of town in Vegas so I seriously doubt I'll have time to both farm him and max out his skills, so Mas and Gillian are the only two real healer's I'm gonna have for awhile. I've got Shu-shu, but with all my blue genes going to Alex for awhile she's way far down in terms of priority.

Any advice here?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Well, I put in my 3 fights. We should be somewhere around 48th now

Just realized I didn't use my bonus keys, so I'm gonna do one real quick just to make sure we stay here.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Gold is so incredibly precious in this game. With $200, you can get around 20 million gold, which would be gone in, what, 30 minutes or so? I'm curious now as to how much gold I would need before it wouldn't be the most prized resource I could possibly obtain. I mean, I'm going to need gold FOREVER, sure, but at some point it has to be about making already extremely powerful characters more powerful, as opposed to just getting things rebirthed to 5* with some basic equipment to make them baseline usable.

I'm not really complaining, exactly, the game is pretty generous with gold. I'm just salty that I'm in a position where some of my 5*s are wearing +0 gear because they're gaining experience/being rebirthed faster than I can equip them.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 20, 2016

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Oh hey, thanks nexon. It's almost as though I was just venting about those exact things.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

How do DoT/HoTs work with crit? Do they have a chance, are they unaffected by it at all, etc?

I'm curious about how Serendi should be geared up, since she's so heavy on both.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Somefool posted:

Speaking of guild raid and mercs, I know there's a bunch of people coming in and out of the guild but I NEED YOU GUYS TO SWITCH YOUR MERCS! :argh:

I have an Alex which has a level 9 third skill(i have177 perfect genes. Need 178 for the last level :smith: ). I got him to 51% defense, but very little else. I wouldn't count on him much. I'll put more effort into him over the next few weeks, but I'm totally bone dry on gold right now.

Re: raboff, he's super far behind. He's near the top of my list of poo poo to work on, but even the very top priority takes awhile to become baseline usable. As a result all I'll have for you for awhile is Alex, with Krut on Wednesday.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Somefool posted:

Holy crap Gillan's new model looks out of place. :gonk:

Everyone is cartoony and bright while Gillan is dark and serious. Also he's still drinking his dagger.

Yeah, all that work for a new model and he's still taking swigs from the back of the dagger. But at least it's the right end.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Was really surprised when I landed a stun on the 55 tower of dawn dragon. This whole time I just assumed he was immune. Why wouldn't he be? He's the big boss of normal TOD! Surely I can't just stun lock him with Bearman.

Oh, okay, he just doesn't give a gently caress and hits you anyway, that makes sense.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Did a pull at 5*, hoping to get at least one piece of gold tiger, already had the weapon. Got five set items.

All of them were Sione's

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

What did you guys use to auto-farm lee? I'm having a hell of a time getting auto battle to succeed on his stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Is there a verdict on how strong Celestial is yet? I can't find information on her heal's scaling, so it could be really good or really bad depending on how much it goes up per level. I'm at 1800 crystals so I'll get her before the event ends for sure, but not for awhile.

• Locked thread