Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Fake. They've considered a new basic type before in planar chaos and canned it for reasons that I suspect still hold here. And in that case they had what might have been enough of a mechanical identity to justify a new color and I doubt that "crazy kozilek and his chums" is anywhere close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

E: whoops.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I'm rereading Kozilek and I'm wondering if that first line of text actually works within the rules of the game.

Shouldn't it be worded "draw until you have seven" or something?

That's the exact wording on Damia, so it works.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Maybe I'm the only one but I keep looking at all the ♦ symbols and the {D} notation and thinking that wastes gives you the {D}. For your spells. Kozilek needs a double dose of your pimp {D} game or he won't show.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

That's true of a lot of old cards. Kismet is one of them that I play with frequently. I think it was really just up to whoever was doing the oracle updates to look at the flavor and decide if it should be a targeted effect or a global effect.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Rimusutera posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point I'm just going to buy into Modern.

Instead of this, you should come play in the command zone thunder zone with us.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ramos posted:

This is a good idea. You haven't lived until you've played a land into a Sol Ring into a signet on turn 1 only to have Dack steal your Sol Ring next turn.

It's strange, there are only 7 planeswalkers in the format and only two of them are arguably any good. And no Jaces at all.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm not sure that the Kor and the il-Kor are the same people.

E: Apparently they are, and Volrath grabbed them off of Zendikar to stick them in Rath, then during the overlay they ended up in Dominaria.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 2, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

Yeah but its step 1 or 2 on the best draws soul sisters has.

What else does sisters get when we add black? Shambling vent and Sorin, solemn visitor seem to fit in nice and you get fun toys like dismember at least at a possibility of less than full price. I don't think this lady's sac ability is relevant here but o-ring on a stick w/ death touch seems better than the 2 drop anthem effect that you don't want anymore anyways if you are adding B to soul sisters.

It's more like a vindicate than an Oring, the stuff you hit is never coming back.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

UberJew posted:

please source your reddit quotes

Mezzanon posted:

Is this a reference to that other rapey guy?

Almost assuredly yes, but also almost assuredly a phrase written in earnest originally. LoB is the brave soul that ventures forth to darker realms (MTGS) and comes back with whatever morsels of insanity (s)he finds only to casually drop them in this thread with no mention of their source. It's sort of his(her?) deal. I think of it as a valuable service, reminding us what we could become if we aren't watchful.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Chamale posted:

Mishras Workshop
Sol Ring
Demonic Tutor
Yawgmoths Will
Necropotence
Tolarian Academy
Mana Crypt
Tinker
Bazaar of Baghdad

I keep seeing necro, but no one has mentioned Yawgmoth's Bargain. Bargain seems a lot more busted and I know there's at least one deck that runs it in vintage, is necro just that much better?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Seriously I don't know why this was ever a question.

When a land produces ♦ it produces "one colorless" (previously a 1 in a circle)

If a card has ♦ in its cost, ♦ can only be paid for with colorless mana.

The only question is if (3) becomes ♦♦♦ or not.

Probably not. That would be a huge sweeping errata on basically every artifact ever printed. It's just a way to make the eldrazi into "woooooOOOOoooo colorless" things. The numbers in circles have always been any mana so they probably can't suddenly make basalt monolith cost ♦♦♦ because it would become really hard to cast suddenly without weakening your manabase. This could allow them to do neat things with better equipment now, maybe skullclamp isn't quite so busted if you have to run colorless producing lands.

Who am I kidding, skullclamp remains busted under those circumstances.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Jesus Christ again, no, the question is not if they will make (3) in a cost become ♦♦♦, it's if Basalt Monolith will tap for ♦♦♦ or (3)

Yeah, sorry. Totally misread that one.

It does make sense for future printings to use the new format, and I suspect we'll see it a lot in commander products and the like with new sol rings and whatnot.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It's really odd, then, that the flagship big colorless dude (newzilek) feels very blue. Draw some cards, and here have a way to counter some spells.

Also the wastes, at least as I see them, are pretty well tied to the eldrazi flavor right now. Sure you can have them elsewhere with little to no problem, but they seem to be leaning towards "these lands produce colorless because of eldrazi taint" in both the theme and in the art with the bismuth looking eldrazi effect. So if the eldrazi have really hosed off into the wild and they start to taint other planes, wastes continue to make sense in this manner. If not, or if we move to a plane that they haven't been to yet, do we just ignore this mechanic for a set/block or do we have other wastes that produce the same thing but aren't from the same source?

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 9, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Not really. Kozilek is associated with knowledge, but blue has the related effects pretty firmly locked down. This lets you put them on your giant eldrazi for the big colorless deck without allowing those blue-ish effects to bleed into every other colour.

Sure, and not letting the blue stuff bleed out is good, but I thought that the idea was to emphasize the mechanical identity of the colorless stuff. It's definitely in flavor/character for Kozilek, just not exactly the sort of mechanical identity that I think people are hoping will get pushed when it comes to colorless stuff.

Gensuki posted:

With people calling this the 6th color, I am reminded of the old 6th color, purple. between red and blue. What are the odds the blue bleed is intentional?

Niton posted:

Purple/Green being opposite to each other was meant to highlight the fight between the Natural and the Unnatural, wasn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if some of those old design documents were a part of it?

The purple color was one of the things they considered for planar chaos before going with the colorshifted cards that give Maro heartburn anytime someones says Harmonize. The idea was that it would fall between black and blue on the color wheel and would take a few things from each of them. Discard was one that it was supposed to borrow from black, I don't recall the rest. It was supposed to be the direct enemy color of green, and the basic land was the City. Ultimately it just turned out to be too hard to get a reasonable number of cities and purple cards into the packs and you still had to figure out if the card backs were going to change or not.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Toshimo posted:

I've recently realized that the value of the cards in my EDH deck has gotten rather high, and I usually play decks that feature cards that many playgroups don't care for (Land destruction, discard, group hug).

This has me a little concerned. So, I thought I'd ask the thread, what caliber firearm should I purchase to stand my ground and defend my sovereign EDH deck and person?

Make sure you live in a state that doesn't require you to attempt to leave (hold your ground clause), and then I recommend a .45. You could get crazy and buy a .357 magnum but that seems like bringing damnation as spot removal. Also don't play with people who get violent over wizard poker, hth.

I've never considered my cards to be something that are at risk in the wild, because so few people know their worth. Maybe I should replace them all with Chinese counterfeits. For protection.

I also wish that I owned a workshop so I could turn 1 trinisphere people, but Land, Sol Ring, Thorn of Amethyst works pretty well I find. Especially because you can almost always play a turn 2 arbiter to follow it up.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

For anyone who does not want to read the posting equivalent of slamming your dick in a car door, maybe you could summarize it for us.

An EDH player happens to have a concealed carry permit, carries at LGS, and makes poor jokes about it. Goons have opinions about it give him poo poo and point out how absurd his statements are. EDH thread is briefly visited by TFR apparently, and it is dumb.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 17, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Zoness posted:

carries at lgs because "it's unsafe" :laffo:

Toshimo posted:

lol, yeah. That's totes what was said. Wink, wink.

I honestly wasn't paying too much attention, and wasn't willing to go reread it.

E: Thanks to you guys I've reread it. Poster with a CCL is probably trying to be sarcastic, but is also a moron apparently.

Static Equilibrium posted:

Also the person felt that carrying a concealed gun was relevant to bring up apropos to how his opponents probably don't appreciate his stax deck in casual multiplayer games.

That was pretty clearly sarcasm, and I don't think it was even brought up by him? E: Yep, it was. Awesome. Anyway:

Regardless, it's dumb. Don't shoot people, especially over wizard cards.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 17, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Static Equilibrium posted:

Joking about shooting people over a card game is pretty hosed up when it turns out that you in fact decided to bring a gun with you to that card game.

Yeah I had forgotten about that post and thought the whole thing was started by the dude posting the big lebowski thing. It was pretty clearly in bad taste, whatever the intention.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

This is retarded. A good friend of mine just got a 3 year ban for tweeting the Kozilek spoilers hours after they were posted in here.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Rinkles posted:

For real? As in, that was the extent of their involvement?

He posted a tweet with a link to the cards, or the images I'm not sure, and some text that was something like "Looks spicy, anyone know if these are real or not?" When it started to look like it was an actual leak he deleted it, I'm not sure if they're taking that as admission of guilt or not. To my knowledge they didn't contact him about it or anything. Interestingly his ban showed up today, but is shown on the DCI site as effective 11/18/15.

I also think there is zero chance he was actually involved in the leak. There are a number of local guys that I would totally believe could do it, but not this guy. He's fantastically nice, willing to help anyone with a deck, and has spent most of his free time recently with a new baby, which I hear takes a lot of time that you could otherwise spend digging up wizard's IP to dump on the internet.

Count Bleck posted:

Well this is stupid.

This ban wave seems less like "ban all leakers" and more like "DON'T TALK ABOUT LEAKS ON THE INTERNET."

Yep, don't post about magic on social media or you might get banned if you can't magically tell the difference between the million pictures of fake cards and actual spoilers that circulate endlessly on the interwebs.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Patrick Chapin: Leaks are equivalent to arson.

E:^^ :argh:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So Helene is going to participate in the next an upcoming MTGFocus podcast. That should be spicy.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 23, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sickening posted:

http://mtgfocus.tumblr.com/post/135426608808/mtg-focus-episode-38-leaky-pipes

About 35 minutes in they start talking about the leak. I feel like his opinions on this leak from the broadcast might have had something to do with his ban.

Roberto isn't actually in this episode, this one is Brandon and Eric.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Entropic posted:

Official OGW card nickname list:
Eldrazi Displacer - Restoration Angle

This one for sure. It's fantastic. And it even returns the card at a different angle.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

UberJew posted:

There are free alternatives that are superior to mtgo for private events, i think it's xmage that mostly gets used for the tournaments hosted by this very thread?

Xmage is fine, but has it's own issues. Some cards don't work properly (much like modo, but usually in more grievous ways) and some cards are just missing. We ran into that problem in the command zone tournament, where one player and their opponents have to use cockatrice because a card just isn't in xmage and another player was attempting to abuse a specific interaction only to find that the interaction doesn't work properly in xmage.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Entropic posted:

Who is it that's actually in favour of the reserve list at this point? Is it the east coast Vintage community (all eight of them)?

Hasbro's legal department.

E: I don't think you could win a case like this against WotC/Hasbro, but I think you could convince a lawyer to try and that's probably sufficient for Hasbro to want to avoid it.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 29, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah but there's an arguement that the conditions which led WotC to make the Reserved List promise in the early 90s are no longer a concern. I think that if they abolished it and somehow that went to court, Hasbro would easily win the case, if it's not dismissed under the fact that it should have been considered a corporate policy by any parties who stand to lose money from the RL being removed.

I don't think that it matters if the conditions are no longer a concern. A promise was made (the reserve list) and some people have made financial decisions based on that promise. If they renege on the promise and it costs these people money there is a case, however flimsy it is. I mean you'd have to be able to prove when/how much you bought a card for in order to determine market price and how much you are out and it's really a nightmare to actually consider it in any real sense, but lawyers aren't interested in how bad a case is if they can simply avoid litigation at all.

I think the reserve list is dumb. But I can see why in a society that will sue over coffee being too hot they won't risk it over some cardboard.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 29, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

JerryLee posted:

That coffee lawsuit is an amazing shibboleth for ignorance (to be fair, I too was ignorant about it at one time).

I have learned two things now, both that the lawsuit wasn't nearly as frivolous as I had thought, and that shibboleth is a word. Neat.

My apologies for using a poor example of a frivolous lawsuit. Pretend instead that I had used a good one. I still think we all understood that the point was that Hasbro would like to avoid frivolous litigation through inaction rather than risking it by acting. I'm not sure if Hasbro could make more money with a paper vintage masters that blows open the reserve list despite the legal costs, but I'm sure that someone at Hasbro/Wizards has done that math.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

jassi007 posted:

I always imagine being super rich and just cracking all the power out of their graded cases and sleeving them up. I wonder if I filmed it if I'd get death threats.

If you want the death threats for sure, you should video yourself taking them out and clipping them to the spokes of a gold plated bicycle with license plates that read "gently caress nerds" that you then ride around for 5 minutes or so to whatever music you want.

E: Or total silence, so that you can hear the cards as they hit the fork every time, around and around. So many tears.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I used Decked, it lets me scan things in with my Laptop's webcam or Iphone, so 1500+ cards got put in only a couple of days, rather then typing each one in by hand. (Would have been way faster, but I was also alphabetizing them, and sorting them by Color / Type, which took for loving evvvverrrrr.)

Do they have anything that isn't apple related? I'd love this, but I don't have any apple products. Everything I can find is apple based, but I'm hoping your laptop isn't a mac and therefore I have hope.

E: Like two links later and I found the android version. Crisis averted, everything is better now. Their website is terrible and just blasts everything apple on the first page with a tiny android link off to the side. Jesus.

E2: It exports to CSV. Holy poo poo.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 1, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I've bought dozens of packs of Fallen Empires in my lifetime. And I remember when packs price increased to $3 and everyone thought it was the end of the world.

Also wtf $50 internet?! Mine is $80 and only because we have cable with it; it would be $90 for just internet! And it's unreliable garbage!

Call and threaten to cancel, they'll transfer you to "keeps" (the retention department) and cut you deal to not go with *The Other Guys In Town* or whatever the other option is. DSL instead of cable. You can get surprisingly good deals doing this.

All this MTG finance poo poo is hilarious, honestly. I think there's merit to both sides, and definitely agree that Hearthstone is dumb.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

mehall posted:

Man, you guys get hosed by cost of internet.

I should be paying £37 p/m for internet, and I get 55mbps typically. (I pay less thanks to staff discount, but 37 would be fine anyway)

For the record, that's $53 US, which is about what most of us pay for varying speeds based on providers and areas. In my area comcast offers 50 mbps for $45 a month. SuicideSteve's situation seems abnormal.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

FIRST OPTION:
craigslist, facebook, and this very forum: These are easy ways to sell without fees outside of paypal's 3%. You can ask for gift payments/cash through facebook/craigslist, but not through SA. The flip side is people will be looking for 10% off of tcgplayer/ebay minimum, and the total fees for tcgplayer/ebay are ~12-13% (50c+11-12%), so it may be more of a hassle. on SA where you have vetted buyers/sellers and can't use paypal gift, taking the 3% paypal merchant fee (or asking for +3% on top of sale prices) is fine. Outside of that, to avoid scammers, I would ask for paypal gift. If you do paypal merchant, use tracking so they can't gently caress you.

For reference, GWallet (US only as far as I am aware) is google's attempt to take a cut of the PayPal market and has no fees. It's getting pretty popular in the buying/selling thread here.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

I didn't see any of the pro tour this weekend, what are the new lands

He's referencing SoL ring, not shadows over innistrad, because Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple both produce 2 mana (or something close) like a Sol ring.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah I'm aware of box-mapping, but thought that only has to do with rares, not with the order of commons. Is it really the case that Red Common X always appears adjacent to Green Common Y anytime either appears in a booster pack of lovely WoTC Set Z? Because that seems retarded and I don't recall that being the case in any set I've drafted in the last several years.

Even in modern sets this is true to a large extent. It gets very noticeable in sealed when you open six packs and four of them all have the same run of 5 commons in a row, just in slightly different portions of the pack with different cards to bookend them. This can be a lot harder to see in draft because people needlessly shuffle the packs to make sure you can't tell they took the rare, and because people are removing the cards so you don't see the full run. I also think that unless you are a savant that it isn't very likely that you see two cards in different parts of the pack and realize that someone in the last three people took the pacifism and you shouldn't draft white, but here we are having this discussion about how it affects drafting anyway. The point that two cards are often near one another and how that changes your chances to wheel one of them is probably valid, though.

If I had to guess, the cards are grouped up based on how they appear on the print sheet. These groups are assembled by sticking some of them into others and then making a very long stack of these chains and then just taking the top 8 cards off the stack for the next booster. There might not even be that much effort put into it honestly and they may just stack them up. As long as the groups are smaller than 8 you should see some variation in the packs as you peel the top 2-3 cards off of a run and leave the remaining for the next run to bookend the full group that follows. Logistically they really can't spend too much time assuring a truly random distribution when the print run is in a fixed and known distribution. Having a truly random distribution also allows for things like the all pacifism pack, however unlikely, or the fabled "All boulderfall" pack.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 17, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Anyhow I still don't think it's real because it's a loving excel sheet posted by some small magic page my friend in loving New Mexico likes, but none of the cards on the list actually seem unbelievable to me at all, outside of possibly how many hits they have.

Just fyi, that's the page run by the guy that got banned for spoiling wastes and new kozilek. Not that it has any bearing on the validity of the list, but it would be funny if it turned out to be true. I don't like mom in the list because she just showed up in a duel deck and there should be trillion copies already. Entreat the angels, Armageddon, and terminus all got recent reprints in ftv products too.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

There are several stores in my area that look like that, all from the same "chain." They have something like three locations total. I could go buy boosters of fallen empires (in Spanish, I think) tomorrow if I wanted. I think they still have some boosters from the Dark. They also sell tons of used video games and used game systems/stuff, so if you need a new gamecube controller and a copy of super monkey ball you can get those too while you browse the 15 year old magic card packs.

They don't run events, though, just sell stuff that no one ever seems to want.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It does seem like the Affinity player had a good plan that could stop eldrazi, and I'm sure that some of the other decks can come up with good plans as well. I don't know if that will be enough to push people off the eldrazi plan but I think this does mean the start of the meta adjustment to the deck and I'm pretty sure it won't stop with one dude who plays affinity.

I think eye is super busted, because lands that tap for more than one mana are usually busted as gently caress, and this one can tap for 2-10 a turn or something like that which makes it ripe for abuse. I also think we should give people more time to find clever things to board in against them before we snap ban eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

smertrioslol posted:

So I haven't played in years and all my cards were tragically lost. A bunch of guys from work started playing, and the consensus is we are gonna play legacy, but I don't think anyone is planning on getting all the super expensive cards. Are there any fun casual, relatively cheap options out there for me? Is now a good time to get all standard cards to play casually with them and maybe take a crack at competitive for the first time?

I guess what I'm asking is should I buy a booster box or individual cards? I'm confident if I bought individual cards it would be unfun real fast for my casual friends, but I'm not sure if standard is playable buying just random packs based on the last few pages of this thread.

If you buy packs of cards you should be doing something with them. Playing sealed or draft is the usual recommendation. Just buying packs to open in hopes of getting specific cards isn't economically effective and if you just want specific cards for as little money as possible you should buy singles.

• Locked thread