Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Opened a terrible pool which gave me the feelbads. Only 2 or 3 flying bodies, 1 Wastes, 2 Holdout Settlments and 3 GODDAM THOUGH-KNOT SEERS.

Round 1 I played all 3 Though-Knot Seers and ended the game with all 3 in my hand with no Colorless Mana despite having 4 or 5 sources that produce it.

This sealed format is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Are you not running a stomping ground and a kessig wolf run? That's usually how I get over 20 if I need to. Between that and using fetches to tap opponents creatures/untap my dorks to float mana for kessig.

You can also run the spell lands that do things like give your guy pro-color or tap down an opponents creature to get through.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Did another pre release tonight, this time 2HG. My partner and I went 3-0 to win it easily.

He had UG Eldrazi and I had WB Allies w/ Equipment featuring Outfitter, Masterwork, and Hedron Blade x2. We opened up a whack of playable stuff, including my 4th Thought Knot Seer of the weekend (value!).

One of my prize packs had Kozilek's Return which was awesome. I also traded a Flip Nissa for a Newlamog so I really ended up on top of the weekend despite not doing great on Friday night.

Thanks to opening SO MANY Thought-Knots and getting that Newlamog, as well as pre-ordering Reality Smashers I have everything I need for modern Eldrazi save for the IoKs.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think it is A Thing or on it's way to being A Thing, but I think too many people think it should be a 4-of. I've used 2 and got annoyed a bunch by the legendary rule, 4 is way out.

Im with you 100%, but I also think mono black isnt the best bet for the deck.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

alansmithee posted:

It's hard to find a balance I'm finding. You really want at least Eye in your opening hand to make everything cheaper, and an Urborg just turbo charges it. Of course, duplicates are real bad. Having to crack maps to find either slows you down a bit, and your typical drops aren't quite the same power as Tron's typically are.

I almost think going more pure aggro with the cheaper Eldrazi may be better, and cutting out the sower/herder/processor stuff.

I've been thinking less tron, more jund with my build. Go with fat, above-the-curve creatures with the format's best removal. The build I've been testing is BW, running Though Knots, Reality Smashers, Oblivion Sowers, 2 Endless Ones, 1 Newlamog - being white means you get to run RIP main, Paths, and Black's discard package.

Live the dream with Turn 1 Relic, Turn 2 Though Knot, Turn 3 Reality Smasher Turn 4 Sower while your opponent whifs his turn 1 IoK.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I do BW, is that what you mean? Or totally colorless or another combo?

I think part of the answer might be more Expedition Maps, which is also good when you need stuff exiled from yard and can afford to fetch and drop Bojuka Bog. I'm going to start playing with 1-2 Skittering Claws in addition to the set of Relics too, for a little more card draw.

Of course, post-Oath it may no longer be processor-driven and want colorless sources. Might just call for painlands though.

Yes I run BW. I run 4 Caves as well, but I might not want 4. 1 Waste to grab off a path potentially.

I run 2 RIP main, 3 Relics, 1 Claws, 2 maps. I might be placing too much emphasis on the processing angle but you still really want to shut off decks that like the yard and enable your oblivion sower (and strangers in from the board). As I mention above, the emphasis on this build is more midrange than processor-centric.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

ShaneB posted:

Playing as Affinity, I got Inquisition'd yesterday t1, and pitched a Blood Moon into the yard. By turn 3 or so I think my Jund opponent had a 6/7 Goyf on the board. Sorcery, Instant, Artifact, Creature, Land, Enchantment.

This is the stuff that makes Goyf Goyf.

Which is one of the reasons this Eldrazi deck looks really good in modern - or at least feels good in modern. It shuts off Goyfs and Snapcasters.

The Eldrazi Deck is a little behind because it loses to some of the really quick matchups like Burn, Zoo, or Merfolk, but excels against Control, Tron, Jund, and Junk.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
You run both relic and claws in the case relic gets needled

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My Dragon Shield Mattes stick together a lot, but my KMC Hyper Mattes do not. My preference is KMC but I can see how people like Dragon Shields.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sickening posted:

If you are making dragon shield mattes sticky you need to wash your loving disgusting hands every once in a while. That is the only way you are making these things sticky.

Cleanliness is godliness, sir. I find its more an issue with upturned edges in the sleeves. Ive had the same issue with two different boxes of them.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Im heading to a modern event next week running UW Merfolk. I run 4 Spreading Seas main, 3 Sea's Claim side plus all the best white sideboard hate for everything else.

It doesn't surprise me at all merfolk took 2 top spots already. My worst matchup by far is... elves? That's about it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Im running 4 wanderwine, 4 strands, 2 fountains. Sideboard has 3 Stoney Silence, 1 Recall specifically for Affinity.

Being UW I also have 4 Paths main, which helps against everything Affinity has except Champions.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Spreading Seas and Sea's Claim both shut down manlands though.

I've been testing a lot against the whole gamut which led me to the decision to go UW as opposed to mono U. Much better board against affinity.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah but it taking two cards to properly use your sideboard hate is really inefficient. edit: I seriously think if you're running specific Affinity sideboard hate it should be an inverse in numbers between Stony Silence and Hurkyl's Recall

In my experience there are merits to both - Stoney Silence lets you run all over them with a better game, where Recall stops them dead if they try to go all-in.

However if the affinity player expects the Recall and goes wide, it's AT BEST a one-turn setback for them. Where Stoney Silence is going to leave them with nothing but a handfull of 1/1s.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Scrubbed out of a 64-man Modern 1.5k today. Went 3-3 as is my typical record at bigger events. The lovely part is that I came with a group of 5 friends, and was paired against them in 2 of my rounds.

One of our 5 T8'd for some prize money which was awesome, and we had another T16 for his entry fee back.

Affinity rules the day, taking #1 and #2 spots. T8 was rounded out by Merfolk, Burn, Tron, Grixis control, Sun Titan, and Jund. Was a great variety but with Twin and Bloom wrecked Affinity is running wild. And me, with 7+ cards in my board that come in for Affinity, didn't see it once.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I don't know if the mono colorless aggro eldrazi deck is still the way to go. I'm going to continue to play the BW version of the deck but I might take some/most of the emphasis off of the processing. If the aggro version of the deck is truly the better version I really can't see why you WOULDNT include at least one other color for support.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sickening posted:

I think my issue with the new eldrazi deck is that there isn't any effective hate against it. Land destruction? Too slow. Colorless hate? Doesn't exist.

Control magic is rough against it - counterspells, land destruction, hand disruption, etc. Getting an explosive start is always great, but if they bank on that turn 1 temple-mimic that you Sea's Claim so they can't Thought-Knot it gets better.

Grixis Control is decent against it, and Jund is pretty ok against it but I don't think we saw any of the T8s go against either of those.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I normally play the Eldrazi deck with colors but I've found there's a few variants I'm toying with:

All Colorless (PT Version) - this is a superfast version with very little interactivity. Vulnerable to land/hand disruption & board wipes.
Colorless/Black/White - this version is processor-heavy, running RIPs main, Blight Herders, Oblivion Sowers, etc. "Big Mana" version that's most comparable to Tron. Vulnerable to land/hand disruption, low-to-the-ground aggro decks (elves, merfolk, infect, affinity)
Colorless/Black - Runs IoK, Duress, targeted removal, with the midrange eldrazi. This version is like Jund, but better. Vulnerable to aggro decks (elves, merfolk, affinity), but can do quite a bit more without the 2-mana lands.

I've been testing all 3 against the gauntlet of typical decks (but not against the stuff showing up this weekend). The versions that run colors really want to be running board wipes to circumvent the aggro strats - much akin to Tron.

The maindeck Chalices are a super metagame-y call that leaves you with some dead cards provided the game goes longer (SSG and Chalice on turns 4+ aren't going to win you the game), basically only good in your opener. Clearly the deck is good, but based largely on the fact not a lot of people were ready for it this weekend. The UR version in particular came out of nowhere so I'm really interested in seeing how the Mono-C and UR Versions play against each other.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I could see SSG eating a ban, if anything.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

suicidesteve posted:

Hey guys why is this 2 card combo fair but the one card combo that does the same thing not?

It's more like a 3-card combo, though. You require TWO SPECIFIC LANDS and a Creature. Thoughtsieze into Goyf is basically 2 cards and any land to get - the thing that makes it more fair is that it costs between 2 and 8 life for Jund to pull of.

Chamale posted:

Not remotely. It can be used as part of a T2 Reality Smasher, but there are two other cards involved that are far more degenerate.

More based on the enabling of Chalice for 1 on turn 1 before the other player gets to do anything.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mikujin posted:

This has been possible in Modern since Chalice started existing and it hasn't been an issue until now.

Because mox lets you play above curve for as many land drops/spells as you have in hand while SSG lets you play above curve once.

Chrome Mox is banned in modern because it allows for plays like this.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I hope they do madness justice. Odyssey was one of my first blocks and UG Madness was one of my first constructed decks. Give me Wild Mongrel and Basking Rootwalla back!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Eye does allow a theoretical T2 win:

T1- Eye, Eldrazi Mimic x4
T2- Red Source, Vile Aggrigate (5/5) swing for 20

Not sure that's likely enough to be grounds for a ban on it's own. I just want the old BW Processor version to come through mostly intact!

Alternatively:

T1 - Eye, Mimic x3
T2 - temple, SSG, Reality Smasher swing for 20

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Ensnaring Bridge is super good against Eldrazi. Lantern Control hoses it pretty hard.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

Why do CFB and SCG BOTH have Eldrazi vs Twin videos on both their websites? Who gives a poo poo? How is that in any way helpful for me going forward in the format?

Because if new busted deck beats old busted deck consistently it helps to better predict and incoming ban. The past weekend at the PT could have just been a fluke because no one was really prepared for the eldrazi menace, but if eldrazi beats twin consistently, and twin was banned that lets us draw conclusions.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I think I would be for cutting the old core sets out of modern. There are a few cards from the sets that are from a previous era that really warp modern play. Weird, really specific hate cards like choke, blood moon, bridge, and even fringe playables like worship that will be seeing a lot of play soon in modern as well.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I played UR Eldrazi at a recent modern event and went against Elves in the final round. Took game 1 handily but the elves player sided in Essence Wardens which wrecked me when he had 2 by turn 3.

Turns out gaining 4-6 for each creature I play and 4-8 on each of his turns is enough to beat the Eldrazi menace.

Makes me really want to fit in some board wipes. Kozileks Return or something, but i know its just as dangerous for me too.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
There will be great, undercosted enchantments with the downside of being transferred to the player that damages the controller.

There will be a "dictate" mechanic, where the person on the throne gets to choose modes/additional effects of a spell.

There will be more "myriad" creatures, expanding on commander 2015s originals.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

kizudarake posted:

Welp, you sold me.

Edit: Wait, no, that kills three other of my decks, and would cost several hundred to buy duplicates of those cards.

Sleeve all your modern decks in the same sleeves, switch cards in and out without repercussions.

All 3 of my modern decks are double sleeved in purple KMC hyper mats, so if I need to pull fetches, cavern of souls, common sb stuff, etc I can easily.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
As much as I want to see some really really good madness cards, if any of them are free for any reason they could blow out formats. We've learned that free spells will always see play.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Had a record low FNM turnout this week with 7 players (and the store owner for 8). Seems a lot of people are burned out on this Standard environment.

And I don't blame them. Everyone but myself were playing 4 color monstrosities with 16 fetches and just "Good Stuff" crammed in to the same mess. Take a guess at which deck one, WRUG CoCo, WRBU Aggro, UBWG Control, or BWGR Combo? The answer is it doesn't matter, it was all dumb.

I, on the other hand, played Mono U Eldrazi Aggro and had a blast. A shame it loses a lynch pin in Ghostfire Blade at rotation. I don't think nonbasic lands have ever been as essential to a strategy as they were in my game tonight - between tomb of the spirit dragon and foundry of consuls they were MVPs next to Ghostfire Blade and Dimensional Infiltrator.

Others can lament their mana bases as much as they want, I long for the days where 1- and 2-color decks reign supreme again!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Angry Grimace posted:

There are exactly 2 3/2 fliers for 3 cmc that don't have a drawback.

Sedraxis Specter, which costs URB and Wasp Lancer, which costs U/B U/B U/B.

More recently they've printed 3/3 fliers (with haste and vigilance) as well (Mantis Rider, RWU).

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Where do I get a promo Azusa??

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If there's a good, cheap discard engine I feel the good ol' days of UG madness can come back. Soul Swallower seems like it could be a house if you can reliably get delirium.

Where's Satyr Wayfinder when you need him?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Gridlocked posted:

Thought Scour reprint when

The really sad thing is that the biggest enabler right now is *shudder* flip Jace.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I just wish they stopped giving the blue walkers all of the best, most relevant abilities all of the time. Like, Flip Jace is good - card draw engines always are. When he flips he has a ton of loyalty, protects himself, and lets you cast your BEST SPELLS again.

And now we're heading in to a block where his only downside is now one of his biggest upsides.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
God this standard is painful- if its not fetches slowing play down its all the lifegain tacked on to useless poo poo. 4-round FNM and each round has gone a full hour because people are locked in lifegaining stalemates.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Night Danger Moose posted:

I played GB Elfball tonight. No fetches, no shuffle effects. 4-0/8-0 with multiple turn 4-5 wins. It was beautiful. My longest round was 35 minutes. :allears:

I played Mono Blue Eldrazi, 4-0 with all my matches going pretty quickly, but it's the fact I have to wait for the FULL HOUR for each round before moving to the next. There's no reason a 4-round FNM should take 4.5 hours!

e: There were more 1-1 draws tonight than 3-game rounds among all matches.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Vanilla Mythic Legendary will prob be something better than a Fleecemane Lion. Like, a 4/4 for 2 mana or something ridic.

We can get a red legendary 2/2 for R with both a drawback and an advantage. We can get a rare 3/3 for WG with an advantage. Whatever the vanilla mythic will be it will have to be either better than a 3/3 for 2 or be something on par with that that doesn't normally get efficient bodies (i.e. not in green or white).

I can see it being something dumb like a vanilla 8/8 for WUBRG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Ha! Perfect!

• Locked thread