Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
They just said that if they would do a 6th basic land, the big problem is that a 6th basic land type messes up old cards. So lacking a new subtype of any sort is actually more reasonable. Plus, it doesn't need one if it would be the only card with the subtype anyway.

Cautiously interested. I think the colorless basic is pretty plausible, but it's the Kozilek that I'm dubious of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
As for the rules issue with how this thing could tap for mana, I would speculate that the rule they would go with is just 'If a basic land loses all basic land types, it taps for colorless instead'. As far as I'm aware, there isn't any existing way to cause a basic land to not have a basic land type, so that doesn't break anything.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But a parasitic mechanic that by virtue of being in the 2nd set can't have much support isn't how you add something big splashy and cool. :psyduck:

It's not parasitic, because any number of lands exist that produce colorless mana.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Basic lands have a "L" next to the collector number, they are not commons.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=121130

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Since the M15 frame change. Mythics didn't have an M next to the number before then either.

Well, what I was observing was that their rarity was listed as Common. I didn't play during Coldsnap, but is that correct or is Gatherer lying?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

Urborg doesn't remove any ability from any cards, basic or nonbasic, typed or untyped. Blood moon does it to nonbasics by turning them into Mountains, but Urborg says "in addition to its other types", which means they gain the ability to tap for {B} but don't lose anything. Also important to note, wastes have no type, so you can't give cards the ability to tap for {C} by giving them some Waste type. Wastes tap for {C} the same way Fertile Thicket taps for {G}.

I don't know for certain that the new rules are that Wastes produce {C} because basic lands without a land type just automatically produce {C}. However, if they are, then Urborg does shut it off. Wastes doesn't have a type or any text at all, so just making it a Swamp means it no longer qualifies as a basic land without a land type and cannot tap for {C}.

They could just make it so Wastes taps for {C} as rules text though.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Serperoth posted:

That isn't the rule. Waste is just a Basic Land, without a type, and the text "T: Add C to your mana pool." No new rule about basic lands without a type. If you have Urborg, it just has "T: Add C to your mana pool." and "T: Add B to your mana pool." (or just "T: Add C or B to your mana pool.")

Okay, that's fine then. I saw a post earlier saying that the rules got changed and couldn't find a conclusive statement one way or the other.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Goddamn 8th Edition Draft is some poo poo right there

No seriously if you think BFZ drafts are loving horrible I encourage you to log onto MTGO and try 8th Edition Draft I mean what in the actual gently caress

Yesterday I drafted it for the first time, and my opponent played two Crossbow Infantry, an Aven Flock, and a Razorfoot Griffin vs my Air Elemental, two Angelic Pages, and a couple of 2/2 fliers. Every turn I just stared at the board and faced the dawning realization that I would never be able to attack or block for the rest of the game, and then he killed me with a 2/2 fear.

Tap creatures that do annoying things in combat are probably the worst part of older Limited formats.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Maybe this will be a 4 card cycle and then Liliana's Oath will get surprise printed in Innistrad after she joins the avengers.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Fatespinner was not designed with limited in mind.

I suppose this is an improvement to the bug where Fatespinner was the best card in all formats because its trigger would cause the choosing player to time out, but not by a lot.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I don't think taking advantage of the rules in a competitive, high stakes environment makes you a scumbag. However, I agree that the rules could be improved when it comes to abbreviating a card's name. There have been a lot of instances throughout Magic where players try to use shortcuts of various sorts and get punished for doing it wrong, but the rules have mostly moved in the direction of not punishing people for understandable miscommunications. I think that is a good trend and this is another instance where it could be applied.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

PleasantDirge posted:

I really enjoy the lack of fucks given after spoiler gate.

Well, it's just a couple of commons and uncommons and one rare. I think this is the kind of leak Wizards might even be happy for. It gets people interested in the new set and upcoming mechanics without spoiling anything they really cared about.

Of course, it might be concerning on a systemic level.

Anyway Madness is an awesome mechanic and I would enjoy having some new cards with the mechanic.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think this format may be built around discarding from your hand, in the same way Innistrad was largely built around milling from your deck.

That would be very interesting. That was a major theme in Odyssey which resulted in it being one of the most abstruse draft formats ever.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Tom vs Efro on VSL has reached peak absurdity. They're both under Standstill and Crucible-Waste locked. My favorite part is that their plays are slightly changing every turn, but the board state itself isn't altering in any relevant way. We are at turn 37 with no spells having been cast for about 33 of those. And then it finally gets broken.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

You should probably use the CK banlist despite my earlier post.

Chainer's Edict is the other big loss. Arrogant wurm. Paper gains like 400 basically unplayable cards, many of which have strictly better versions printed, some Conspiracies you'll only see in brews and a "split 2 damage any way you choose" duel deck card for burn I haven't seen played. There's like 1 white Conspiracy and 1 black Conspiracy that are interesting. The black one is "edict or take 4 damage" iirc with "edict" as the tiebreaker. It's... not great.

You can play Desert if you use paper commons. Gorilla Shaman is a massive gently caress YOU to affinity in the sideboard ("R, destroy all your lands" 'cause Pauper affinity actually plays Affinity cards and full playsets of the artifact lands). Kird Ape. Goblin Grenade.

Tyrant's Choice (the black Conspiracy you reference) is 1B for 4 damage nontargeting, so it is at least a good rate for burn decks that want to play black.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
My favorite 2 power creature might just be Lore Seeker. I am moderately excited for CNS2.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

sarmhan posted:

I'd assume it's just a joke, since Maro wasn't involved with Saviors at all.

The joke being there were five Maro rares.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They didn't reject the idea out of hand, they just (completely correctly) noted that mono-black devotion was already too good in RTR-Theros.
On the contrary I think they will try and do it whenever possible now that core sets are gone, in the same way they've started reprinting mythics in expert-level expansions.

I was actually very surprised by the new Nissa. I thought that since we had only got one set with Worldwaker and that was a pretty solid card it would be a good fit for reprinting during BFZ block. But I'm sure something like that will happen in future sets.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I don't think this is well considered. Preparing for and going to a PT is a very time-consuming process. And you can't just guarantee you'll get an outstanding result. The appearance fee is supposed to soften the blow to pros, and now it's basically dead. People can't just sacrifice two weeks of work, or school, or whatever, for no recompense.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I guess that might be true but I've never seen something to that level on an MTG stream or League of Legends

I admit I haven't seen the Hearthstone stream being referenced, but I certainly see a similar phenomenon in MTGO streams. Every time a female player is on camera or doing commentary for a competitive event, the chat instantly fills with stupid leading questions insinuating that they aren't worthy of being featured. Fortunately this is usually followed by a merciful round of timeouts, but it feels like the only difference between that and the racism incident is volume.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

The more I draft this set the more I'm starting to realize that building a good R/G deck with simply big creatures pays off too well.
Better decks can be built if the synergy is there, such as building G/B Clues or R/B vampires, but it requires such precise cards to work.
R/G just has such amazing stand alone semi-fatties like solitary hunter, and the arsonists. If they flip even better.
Not to mention that red packs good removal, and rabid bite is amazing as well.

Also Goldnight Castigator is bomb in limited if your deck is fast. I was thinking about side-boarding it, but every game it came down I was already pushing hard and it closed it.

I often feel like this also. I hear a lot of stories about success with interesting synergy decks, but every time I play I find that these big creatures with 4+ toughness end up deciding games rather than how quickly you can reach delirium or how much value you get off of discard outlets.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Walked posted:

How is MTGO in terms of gameplay and longevity (e.g. Is an investment going to be worthwhile)?

I'm spitballing getting back into magic but I moved my family to an area with no LGS nearby and have two babies in the house, so driving to something a ways out isn't realistic.

How different is the game in online form? Meta? Etc.

MTGO can be frustrating. There are game-ruining bugs and stupid decisions made by the support team. That said if local play becomes inconvenient, you aren't going to do better than MTGO. The experience is pretty close to paper. Cheaper to get into, as well. And there are more formats available at any given time than you could hope for at most stores. It's been running along for years, though I wouldn't use the word smoothly. It can definitely replace an in-person Magic experience if you need it to.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

As an example of what is parasitic and what is not on a scale of 1-5, lets look at the Ravnica and Return to Ravnica guild keywords, ability words (keep in mind that just because a mechanic isn't parastic doesn't make it good):

Convoke: 1
Populate: 5

Radiance: 1
Battalion: 2

Transmute: 1
Cipher: 1

Dredge: 2
Scavenge: 1

Replicate: 2
Overload: 1

Bloodthirst: 2
Bloodrush: 1

Haunt: 2
Extort: 1

Hellbent: 3
Unleash: 1

Graft: 3
Evolve: 2

Forecast: 2
Detain: 1

A mechanic can be parasitic as hell and still be awesome. Populate is super cool and fun, and proliferate is maybe one of the best mechanics ever created. Cipher is not parasitic but is a trash mechanic with maybe one good card, and that's being generous.

I'm not sure you're using parasitic correctly. Many of these mechanics are not remotely parasitic. They might be linear, but that is not the same thing. Parasitic means that they don't function well outside of their own set because they depend on some sort of element that isn't generally available.

For instance populate is extremely linear but not all that parasitic because token makers are in every set.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

Hey, new potentially broken card. Isn't this an auto include in vintage mud decks?

It seems a little problematic to play a card that could ramp your opponent when half of your deck is dedicated to mana denial.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Vintage decks play ~14-16 lands, because Moxes, and the card draw lets you find additional mana sources without flooding out. Shops plays Wastelands and the Strip Mine, plus Spheres and Thorns to keep spells stuck in the opponent's hand.

It's often true that Vintage decks play a low land count for that reason, but it's an overgeneralization to suggest all decks function like that. Just judging by the VSL there seem to be a few land-heavy decks running around like Eldrazi and Landstill. Although I suppose mana denial is already bad against those decks.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Well, it's fairly obvious he's trying to create a loop with Whirler Virtuoso. Era of Innovation + Decoction Module + Virtuoso is 1: Make a 1/1 flier, and the other Modules do other cool combo things. Might also be playing Metalwork Colossus.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I like how Shota was first on the wrong end and then on the right end of the decking situation, and in both spots he was able to convert his position into a win. He's probably not even beatable in control mirrors at this point.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

how is it wrong to punish bribery

Because the tournament guidelines are incredibly arbitrary and tend to punish people who don't know how to game the system.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Only because those guidelines are too lenient. A match where just happens to concede to the other, and the winning player just happening to give ~75% of their prize to the player that conceded in plain view of the tournament organizer, should throw up some red flags. The fact is, though, that that's fine right now, as long as both players have their stories straight and neither player admits and nobody overhears either player establishing that the prize split is contingent on one player conceding to the other.

No, it has nothing to do with being too lenient and everything to do with being unenforceable nonsense.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They already fudge things w.r.t the mana pool too, like the improvise flavour text. "Each artifact you tap after you're done activating mana abilities pays for {1}" . That would preclude you from getting 2 mana out of an ethereum cell.

I'm confused; that's the case, isn't it? Like you couldn't get two mana out of convoking an Eldrazi Scion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I kind of like most of this, but the actual font on the card's text just seems awful to me. It's so blocky it really detracts from any kind of mystical feel they were going for.

• Locked thread