Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I don't think they would print a new mana symbol without reminder text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I think Mirrorpool specifically is bullshit. The art is super generic and could easily be an island or another wastes if that is legit, plus two mythics being leaked seems somewhat unlikely.

Alternatively, green is so bad in BFZ because it is being replaced by a new colour. This is Wizards' solution to Siege Rhino

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Except Mirrorpond was leaked like an hour after Kozilek and Wastes. Given that Mirrorpool includes a mechanic which literally first appeared on the first two leaked cards, for Mirrorpond to be fake and the other two real, someone would need to mock up that Mirrorpool card complete with previously unseen art and abilities with the new mechanics in like 45 minutes.

Well they're presumably from a different source given the difference in image quality so I guess the alternative is that people got two different leaks within an hour of each other?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Niton posted:

This isn't Oath of the Gatewatch, but it's even crazier: Keith Adams, The Misprint Guy, recently acquired of the documentation and playtest cards for a Magic set that never saw print, called Spectral Chaos from their original creator, Barry Reich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaOh-EqNYvE

It's a super interesting watch, and it's crazy to see something like this finally come to light 20 years later.

Pastoral Falcon, 2B 1/2 (not flying), T: give target red creature plainswalk until end of turn

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

black potus posted:

green would be significantly better if unnatural aggression gave a p/t boost. my first draft i assumed it did and didn't realize until i went to cast it and saw i was about to 2-for-1 myself.

Yeah as LSV said in his set redo, the fight card is meant to be one of green's best commons, but this one is really bad. Most of green's common creatures make Scions or have landfall, so they're smaller than usual, while every colour gets access to giant things; even red has random high-toughness guys like Vile Aggregate, while green has 4 commons that just make 1/1s. Plus landfall mostly negates the advantage of being able to fight at instant speed.

Also, the green landfall "enablers" are all worse than Evolving Wilds and Broodhunter Wurm is the only non-Ally vanilla creature in the set, and it's not even efficient.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Glad to see "Blue gets access to everything as long as you flavor it as water or thinking" was alive even back then.

Though really the mechanical separation between colors seems to have been mostly keywords and which colors are referenced.

It's more like "any colour can do anything for no particular reason". It looks like Wizards really did use all the actual cards in the set, the rest are complete nonsense

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
here are some of my favourites

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

So it's a lot like Snow then, as this is basically how Snow was back in Ice Age.

In Coldsnap maybe, Ice Age only had snow-covered lands

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Swords to Plowshares was originally costed at WW.

Perhaps they should've kept it that way.

Probably a typo, Swords was in the original playtest at W

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

I know they started designing expansions before Alpha actually went to print.

And the original playtest cards had weird cost templating, like Serra Angel was "5WW" which meant "5 mana, two of which has to be white".

there is no way that is the more recent templating

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

jassi007 posted:

Build a group of pauper decks if you like constructed, they're cheap and use a lot of good powerful cards. Otherwise build a cube. Pauper and Peasant cubes are really fun, also I played an excellent 1 drop cube at a GP once.

BFZ draft is pretty fun imo, it isn't the typical draft the best cards in each pack go. Synergies are better than overall raw power. If your in blue red devoid and you have Mist Intruder 1U 1/2 flying ingest vs. Ondu Champion 2RR 4/3 Rally - Trample you'd take the Mist Intruder everytime.

Apart from, yknow, The Green Problem

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

quote:

....my heart was pounding, and I could scarcely breathe.

I had waited so long for this. So very long.

I spoke three words.

In that moment, everything began anew.
"I love you too" said Jace.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Cernunnos posted:

I may be insane but I think I'm going to try re-templating the Spectral Chaos non-set because I have nothing better to do right now.

If I finish it I'll try and see about getting it on one of those drafting sites like drafts.in I guess.

Not looking forward to fiddling with creature types.

Someone already did: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3u1t64/modern_spectral_chaos_set/

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

I think that if Sol Ring hadn't be reprinted in Revised, either we'd be calling it the Power 10 now, or Sol Ring would take the place of Timetwister.

Sol Ring was an uncommon

Fastbond should definitely be in there

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Nagle is apparently good at churning out designs which makes him a good design team member, but all his leads have been flawed at best (WWK, NPH, RTR, BTG, FRF)

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/283 Check out #7 and #10 for the depths of his insanity

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Oath preview coming after Scotland-Austria in the WMC

One of the Austrians drew 7 off Smothering Abomination in response to removal...6 lands

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Spoiled Kozilek confirmed

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do split cards count as having two CMCs for Kozilek's ability?

Yes

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

SoftNum posted:

Also confirmed that {D} is a going-forward mana symbol. Ian Duke also strongly implied that things costing specifically {D} was more of a Oath of the Gatewatch mechanic.

It will probably be a sometimes-thing like hybrid and coloured artifacts

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I hope that Surge will give Jeskai Tokens one last hurrah

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

stinkles1112 posted:

Wait so do we know for sure now that we're not getting enemy tangolands? Wouldn't non-cycle expeditions be the exact situation that would suggest we are?

The fact that we know there are 3 enemy manlands in Oath would make it unlikely. I also don't think they'll be in SOI because then there would be three enemy-coloured land cycles to one allied.

Anyway, how good are they going to be when the fetches rotate? Maybe the enemy colours will turn up 2 blocks away from the enemy fetch reprints

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Out of curiosity I just looked up the Oath of Ghouls oracle text and it's pretty confusing. Are they deliberately using the "no targets --> fizzles" rule instead of an intervening if clause?

It's so you can't respond to the trigger to make it active

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

Tec Edges will be the cheapest expedition at 40 dollars.

What about Dust Bowl

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

I agree with most of the article. Look at the shitstorm caused by people not being able to wrap their heads around {C} when it wasn't outright explained to them. In an ideal world, someone at Wizards would have seen the leak and immediately posted something to explain the cards, but there's massive amounts of red tape and corporate approval they need to get before they even acknowledge these things publicly.

They have got to stop using the "leaks hurt our writers and writers of other sites who are eager to give spoilers in their articles" because there is no way we can sympathize with them. If you put yourself in the shoes of someone writing an article and going "I can't wait for my article to come out about Kozilek's Return! Everyone's going to read what I have to write!" then yeah, it's lovely for them that someone took their experience away from them... but the people seeing these leaks and being excited for them aren't going, "Oh, poor Reid Duke, no one is going to read his article now." and like I said, it's impossible for someone to feel sorry for him. Wizards thinks we should, because they can see it from the writers' perspective, but we just see a new card and get excited about it.

90% of spoiler articles are fluff that you skip over to get to the card, are we ruining the experience when we immediately repost the card images here?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Sigma-X posted:

So looking at Tom Riddle's pack 1, they're all misprint cards, but I don't know the story behind some of them:

Anthologies Mirri Cat Warrior should be a 2/3
Hurricane has a blue border
Serendib Efreet has a green border
Drudge Skeletons Swamp
Alpha/Beta (I think it's just alpha?) Orcish Oriflame should be 2R instead of 1R
Wald is a Plains-arted Forest
*Not sure on Laquatus' Horror (name?) but IIRC it doesn't have the second half of the nightmare text, but I can't read Russian
*Cyclopean Tomb - no idea
*Orcish Artillery - no idea
*Cursed Scroll - not sure but I seem to recall there's a version where the naming cards doesn't work right, maybe it's something like that?
Serra Angel looks like Time Elemental
*Oboro Envoy - no idea, I've never seen this card before
Iff Biff Efreet has Serendib Efreet's art
*Reflecting Pool - no idea, the text looks right to me?
Beta Volcanic Islands do not exist because they were left off the printing sheet

Not sure if I hosed any of these up and I only knew half of them off the top of my head (and have only seen the Mirri and the Walds in real life - saw a dude who tried to play his Walds in Enchantress but the judge told him no) but I was impressed that I knew that many.

Cyclopean Tomb is missing the mana cost
Orcish Artillery should be 1RR
Oboro Envoy should have "until end of turn" on the effect
Reflecting Pool has a white mana watermark

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mfcrocker posted:

If I've understood the WotC position correctly, we probably would have been if we'd have been the first place to get them

I think they'd struggle to link most of us to our DCI numbers

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I feel like the draw spell needs an extra surge effect for constructed, the best case of instant divination does not seem particularly strong

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Madmarker posted:

I highly doubt, and truly hope this isn't the case.

My hope is that Ensnaring bridge gets the ax as well.

They should just remove 8th edition from Modern, it makes no sense that the first Modern set is entirely reprints from older sets. The frame argument doesn't really hold when they print new-border sets which are not Modern-legal every year, plus 8th looks terrible so everyone uses the old versions anyway. You'd also lose Boil, Hibernation, Merchant Scroll and City of Brass but I don't think any of those are great losses

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

odiv posted:

Have we seen anything with a casting/activation cost with C and another colour? We've seen them split like W in the casting cost of Displacer and C in the activation cost. But I don't think we've seen anything like WC yet?

No, because that would be dumb box-ticking

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ramos posted:

Maro went on for a while there about how red could do anything as long as it was temporary. He quickly dropped that when things like temporary red enchantment removal came up.

Zealous Conscripts, checkmate

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Zoness posted:

That doesn't remove an enchantment, for, say, something like moat.

That's true but it works for every Moat variant printed in the last 20 years or so

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

odiv posted:

I guess it might be okay if you get a lot of scions? Still, the last thing I need when I can produce 7 mana is more mana.

They should print an Eldrazi with C in the cost that has Convoke, just to confuse everyone.

The extra mana isn't to cast something bigger than a 7, it's so you can chain multiple creatures off the other ability

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Negate has now been in 3 out of the last 4 sets

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It's interesting how none of the BFZ keywords are returning (apart from devoid). The new keywords seem pretty low key, especially cohort

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

pointsofdata posted:

I can't think of a single good reason for this. It's way more confusing than just calling it Awaken as it's always going to be drafted with awaken cards...

Awaken doesn't work on creatures

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

pointsofdata posted:

Compare the wording of cultivator drone to corrupted crossroads. I get that they are making different mana but still...

Also since when does blue get what is basically a mana ramp creature?

Blue has had a few conditional mana dorks; Qarsi Deceiver, Renowned Weaponsmith, Deranged Assistant...

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"This game revolves too much around overly pushed creatures, let's solve the problem by getting rid of cards that can remove overly pushed creatures"

Lightning Strike and Doom Blade don't kill Siege Rhino though?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Has anyone else noticed that colourless costs interact kind of strangely with the EDH colour identity rules? Notably, a non-black deck can run Urborg, which makes all its lands tap for C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lancelot posted:

are they getting rid of maro's?

please god please

Maro's column is like the only one worth reading outside of previews, what are you talking about

• Locked thread