Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If the diamond symbol means "Spend only colorless mana on this" then I can believe that spoiler. It would make sense as an Eldrazi mechanic and would work with the 9 colorless lands in BFZ and the random one thrown in each other set in standard.

That I could buy. I originally read it as "mana from Wastes" which would almost certainly mean it was fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
The counter ability is powerful but fair, because its not X or less; its Counterbalance but without the possible breaking effect of Top/scry. You'd have to work pretty hard to get the exact cmc in hand at instant to counter "anything"

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The earliest we've gotten small set spoilers before was on Christmas. Kiora and Ugin were revealed this way, for example.

Would they really have final printed cards a month and a half before that?

Its pretty early but maybe with the middling reception of BFZ they leaked them early?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
The wastes seem insane mostly because how would that work at a prerelease; you can add as many wastes as you want in deckbuilding? or no, and you have to specifically draft Wastes, and they have the bonus of being fetchable with Evolving Wilds?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

Pre-releases have special pre-release materials, remember? Your little "commemorative deck box" paper piece of poo poo with a sticker holding it together has room for 6 packs plus a pack of SPECIAL PRE-RELEASE WASTES and a D20 in 7 different color(less)s

True, but what about regular draft? What about modo prerelease? Maybe every Oath pack will have a waste instead of a regular basic.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
They print colorless counters all the time, and at 10+ mana mythic they'll print pretty much anything. Emrakul timewalked

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That, though, is based on Bestow.

Wastes producing ♦ is based on nothing. There isn't a mechanic providing it with the ability to make mana, and to make it able to produce ♦ means changing what happens when rules aren't there.

Which is weird as heck.

I started playing again at last Zendikar and since then theres been like 3 or 4 things where everyone was like "what, this doesn't work, it breaks the rules of the game, etc" and they all seem normal after like 2 games with them.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

MiddleEastBeast posted:

The cards are real.

Agreed.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
I just learned from Nummy's stream last night that Pucatrade is planning to implement online <> paper trading. Pretty cool since I barely play paper anymore and have a Bob to offload.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

AgentSythe posted:

This deck is completely real and gets much better if you are willing to shell out a few dollars more for a few Scavenging Ooze, Melira, and some Spellskites (which are in every deck in modern anyway)

Do you have a list with those cards? What do you lose, the Rancors?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

NivMizzet posted:

His Tibalt videos from last week were painful to listen because I cringed every time he said Tibalt. I'm curious where he's from, to see if his unique pronunciations are a regional thing or just coming from someone who doesn't care how they sound.

He definitely has a strong accent (Canada I think? it makes him say AYY-gro and fleshBAYG) but he's putting out the most interesting videos right now. Actual brews that are affordable and not Woo nonsense.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
I didn't get it either and "knows famous penny arcade panels" or whatever is a pretty niche prerequisite for a joke.

edit: also "asking the on-call nurse where a room is" isnt really the same as Opposition, and "doctor regretfully explaining what happened" isn't Browbeat. I give this a 1/10

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Serperoth posted:

It wasn't my original joke (but I'm glad people liked it), I said I copied it off of someone on Tumblr.

But you're right, it can be improved.

I'm not making GBS threads on you for posting it, just glad someone else didnt get it because I felt dumb.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Serperoth posted:

It wasn't my original joke (but I'm glad people liked it), I said I copied it off of someone on Tumblr.

But you're right, it can be improved.

VV: Oh I know, I was mostly commenting on how Opposition and Browbeat don't fit super well. :)

I originally thought the joke was "Don't kill the messenger" lol

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

GeneX posted:

People vastly underrate cost-reductions in general

Yeah all the recent delve cards had this. People saw Cruise as "Ancestral, if you get really super lucky" rather than "a pushed Inspiration or Divination that is sometimes Ancestral"

The bannings of Cruise and Dig probably mean we won't see cards like it again soon, which is a shame because a couple broken cards every now and again is cool.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

JerryLee posted:

"Rack" at least has some sort of explanation as slang for breasts, even if you'd have to be a hilarious parody of a puritan to think about adding it to a word filter on that basis. I literally cannot think of what the explanation for "chief" could be.

I assumed its to keep people from sarcastically busting peoples balls ("nice play there, chief") which would be funny because 1) they'd have to block buddy, pal, friend, etc and 2) if I saw someone saying "nice play there, *****" I certainly wouldnt think he was calling me chief.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Hey they weren't kidding, about this being a "Great Distortion" (of the rules, and peoples' commonly held assumptions and understandings, of them), huh

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Like I have 2 3/3s, you bolt one, I protect it, so the other dies? gently caress that

Edit: ah I see

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Any spoilers besides the ones that were already leaked?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Chamale posted:

I gotta agree with Sigma-X that diamond cards don't excite me yet. So far, every card with a diamond in its cost is just blue by another name. We have countering, cloning, and card draw, which are all blue effects. Where's the new designs?

It does seem like they are just putting grixis mechanics on colorless cards so far. I hope some others follow Void Winnower's example of the Eldrazi caring about insane, incomprehensible things.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Boco_T posted:

Melissa DeTora's back on TCG Player today, which I guess means she and Frank moved to Seattle so she could work for Wizards for just a year.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=13014

Wasn't she just doing a design internship or something? Although that's not exactly an internship that translates well to other companies. Jackie Lee seems to still be there.

Woops, it's in the article:
I am no longer at Wizards and I'm now back in the world of MTG. I'm sure many of you are wondering what happened. The short version was that I was a contractor employee. When my contract was up at the end of the year there were no open positions in Wizards R&D and I was let go. It was pretty bad timing for both me and Wizards, but I'm remaining optimistic that I will be able to go back to Wizards when they have open positions.

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 18, 2015

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Sickening posted:

The most hosed up thing about this is that she might not be able to play competitively for 2-5 years from now depending on what future sets she worked on.

WOTC truly has some of the dumbest rules.

Yeah, it seems like a pretty huge risk for a pro player to try to transition to working for them. It's like if you took a programming internship/contract, and if they decide to not pick you up full time, you can't touch a computer for the next 5 years.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Niton posted:

In a world where Slow Play was actually called, Jim Davis would be serving a lengthy DCI suspension. Instead, he is your SCG 2015 Players' Champion. Congratulations, Jim Davis.

was that a slowplay joke from Cedric when he said "take as much TIME as you need"

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Niton posted:

I'm sure it was - Jim Davis is famous for, among other things, taking something like three hours to finish an untimed match earlier this year.

Lol that's funny. Pat Sullivan getting a little choked up there!

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Man I wish I got to have this much fun with Cube. All that ever happens is I get paired up against the guy with all the blue spells and the time vault/voltaic key combo. It's awful.

Yeah, I like power cube and usually do a few every year, but I can completely see MJ's opinion that its full of unfun cards, and caters to "people in the know" and preys on noobs or middling players by offering them trap archtypes (any non-red aggro deck, for example, though this years cube seems to have improved on that). There's either broken cards or unplayable cards.

Basically its for lsv-types to smugly go off on T1 on some hapless chump who wandered into the cube because everyone says its the best format.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
People who like decks that make them feel smart and or are uninteractive/shut the opponent out of the game ie storm, upheaval etc. Nothing wrong with that and there's nothing wrong with cube being a very unfair/unforgiving format, but its also understandable when players of other mindsets or ability levels are like "wow cube sucks"

vvv I like lsv a lot but he is smug yeah

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

This opinion about LSV just makes you sound really insecure, it's not a good look dawg.

Lol I think I'll survive. Like I said, I like cube and broken stuff too, I just find it unfun sometimes and understand when other people do too. And lsv is very entertaining to watch, but he definitely knows he's awesome and isn't shy about it.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

black potus posted:

i got turkish food w/ lsv this week incl some delish coffee and i can confirm he is a smug rear end mother fucker

Vindicated (both in the sense that I was proven right, and also utterly destroyed)

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
lol jumped in a vintage cube, as I'm not a butthurt guy who hates broken cards/lsv.

t1 goblin guide, t3 hero of oxid ridge, lose
t1 goblin guide, t3 hellrider, fireblast, lose

to be fair Im playing a fairly crap ramp/show/breach deck, but still.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

Just play mono-smug bro. It seems to be the best strat according to the thread.

I was playing as smuggly as i could but hey, variance is part of the game. Sometimes cards that do damage just beat smugness.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Anyone have that pic Cheon showed of Nathan Holiday somehow storming for 30 goblins turn 2?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Jori En could see eternal play

edit: oh it's just the second spell, not every spell after the first. Nevermind.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

odiv posted:

Are many eternal decks even capable of making colorless mana for Contortion? The duals that do aren't fetchable.

Tron? Really any deck that would/could would rather just play dismember probably.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tron is popping a gigantic erect Urza's Tower at the prospect of running that card

E: Affinity too

I thought Affinity too but don't most of its mana sources besides inkmoth produce colored mana?

nope, got confused with pauper affinity.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
By the way, I didn't think it was possible but this art is even worse than Origins

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Brownhat posted:

That goblin is very good in any deck running low cost aggressive creatures, it's a warrior and an ally as well.

Yeah it seems best in a RW deck with Gideon

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
I feel like a WOTC-pushed superfriends deck is greasy

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

kizudarake posted:

These superfriends agree, eh.

Nissa, Jace, and Gideon

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm thinking of building Modern Merfolk since I already have most of the money cards except cavern of souls and mutavaults. Is that deck still viable?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-merfolk-22888#paper

You can track the meta on that site too: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#online

Looks like Merfolk puts up 5-0s occasionally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Craig seems OK. There's been a few awkward moments and he and Cedric are still trying to find a rhythm. Mostly because Craig is very serious when he's not joking, and very deadpan when he is joking.

• Locked thread