Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It doesn't make sense that they would introduce something like that in a small set either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Twitter says it's a new symbol for colorless mana. Not a new mana type just has to be colorless. So it's 10 mana and 2 has to be colorless.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Doesn't seem like it since the other one specifically makes diamond mana.

Diamond might just mean colorless.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think its a really clean way to impliment a psuedo 6th color.

It's going to be an actual 6th color in limited...

Thor-Stryker posted:

Is Menace an evergreen word? Why would they print a standard playable card with no reminder text. (And how ugly would Koz be with the text shoved in there?)

Yeah Menace is evergreen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If this is real, I don't think Kozilek is that good. At least for Standard/Modern.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Kozilek's ability is actually pretty good in GR tron. The only removal that can typically kill him in modern are terminate or path. He draws you cards, and tron runs plenty of 1 and 2 cmc spells. Discard this chromatic sphere to counter your path. Would need playtesting of course, but it isn't outright bad by any means. It is gas, and his ability is a protection ability.

I don't think it's better than exiling 2 permanents which is what it has to be better than to see play. (GR Tron is playing 1 Ulamog now...)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They had an interview with Owen T on LR this week. He came off pretty well I thought...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

GP Pittsburgh capped out today at 2500. The TO is trying to find a way to stuff more seats in the venue. Hope anyone that was going pre-registered.

People like Modern alot for some dumb reason.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Did you guys see Huey kick my rear end with Storm on stream? That's the only match I lost today though...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

logis posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/magic/v/26964646
Think he's at 4:51:33 or so with Tron, which is the best. except in a matchup like that... Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have to get an audio grab of Mashall saying "Oh poor Mike Cohen!" When Huey started going off game 1. Lolol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

Did you side out the pyroclasms on game 2? They were talking on the stream like you did.

I SB'd 1 of my 3 out. Still had 2 in but never saw them. I also boarded out the Ugin's but I really think that is correct... It's usually just nonsense against him.... Obviously would've been nice that game though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The wheels kinda fell off today. Started off 1-0 to go 9-1 and then got 0-2'd by affinity on exact damage 2 games in a row when I had the game the next turn both games. Then lost 2 more in a row to twin not drawing any of my SB... ID'd the final round to get the cash but not what I hoped for after yesterday...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's variance heh. I beat it twice day 1 cause I drew my SB. Just didn't see enough of it today.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

RIP my hopes and dreams of seeing mcmagic in the top 8. :smith:

Bad luck bro.

Haha. Maybe next time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Good news! They're definitely going to ban Splinter Twin in the next B/R change. I've seen a lot of pro's talking about it on twitter.

Nah.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Man I want to live forever so long as I keep a game of Magic in a corner somewhere. :(

This is actually fine...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

stay the course, kmc can do no wrong.

This is wrong. Dragonshield Matte sleeves are by far the best sleeves you can buy quality wise. Though if you are going to the KMC Route, the correct sleeves are the Hareruya ones.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Shockingly, McMagic was right

Of course i'm right. The Hypermattes are very nice as well but they split at the top too often...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

This is gold btw.

I chuckled.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

Like Randy?

Yes, I also have Khaki's on which go awesomely with my bright white sneakers....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Mangara/Karakas interactions is one of those weird ones, too.

In any other set this ability would exile him as part of the cost. But this is Time Spiral, where tiny quirks in the rules text are entirely intentional and providing edge cases is the reason.

I'm not going to let a little thing like insincerity get in the way of explaining tiny quirks and edge cases.

Poor little dude...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Jund is another deck that I think isn't getting banned beyond its current core. But good luck scraping together an additional 700 bucks over what it costs to assemble Twin to assemble Jund.

The thing about Twin and Jund is that the cards you need for those decks are good in multiple decks and formats so you have some flexibility...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chalice is not a fun card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Playing a spell into a Chalice with that spell's CMC isn't cheating. The Chalice player is allowed to miss their trigger.

Edit: It used to be something you could get punished for, but that changed a while ago.

You're not required to play your opponent's deck for them. That's why the rules were changed. We had this conversation a while ago when Joe Lossett won a match in the top 4 of something or other because his opponent missed his Sulfuric Vortex trigger.

How is that cheating at all? Sometimes you run stuff into Chalice just to get cards in your yard for Delve or Threshold or to increase storm...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the rally deck could do with another sac outlet, and this one is fairly decent. Cutthroat can help you get the second ability online sometimes too.

I don't think getting to 30 is a realistic gameplan in standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

No great loss.

I've always found him to be a nice guy. It's unfortunate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Who are we talking about?

Fabiano.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Interesting. I've had several local friends play against him in GP's and at Tales of Adventure (SCG states) and they all said he's a scummy player.

I've heard that too but I've played against him a bunch and he's always been nice to me. I'm sure he's been scummy to others though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

He is a huge backseat judge and every event I've ever judged with him in it has involved at least one instance of his "help" on a call that took place near his table. I believe the foil story 100%.

I believe it as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

St0rmD posted:

Does anyone know why Painful Truths is in such high demand on Pucatrade?

It's been like this for like 2 weeks, and I can't figure out why...

Cause it's good in both Legacy and Modern.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

OK, that is sweet.

2016 GP Promo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pussy Snorkel posted:

It says Judge, not GP.

IDK why it does but it's the GP Promo.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/2015-world-magic-cup-faq-and-more-2015-12-04

quote:

Trick Jarrett ‏@TrickMTG 54s55 seconds ago
The new GP promo is indeed Stoneforge Mystic, the judge text at the bottom is a rendering mistake. Won't be there in real version.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you ban Batterskull would SF see all that much play in Modern? I doubt it...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm more afraid of SFM pulling a Jitte than batterskull in legacy.

Depends what deck you're playing obviously but that isn't Modern legal either...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bugsy posted:

I could easily see mystic fetching Cranial Platings.

Ehh that isn't all that broken if you ask me...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

black potus posted:

MCMAGIC:

i think painful truths is not good in legacy and am willing to do a bet wherein if by some agreed upon metric it proves to be a real card within 6 months (# of top 8 appearances, but i can't look up an event schedule atm) i will do one of these:

1) post with proper caps and punctuation in the magic thread forever
2) play a major legacy event (SCG open/GP at least) with painful truths (and what the heck narset) in my maindeck and post a trip report on these forums
3) a humorous forums punishment of the threads choosing

if you agree to this bet post and dear thread please provide us with stakes

Sure. It's not going to be a 4 of but I would bet that it will show up in multiple decks in multiple top 8's.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Except you still have to ban Batterskull, which isn't actually a problematic card that sees some level of play. I guess you could ask the question of how broken Batterskull and SFM are at the same time. Part of me wants to say "not that broken" because modern's pretty biased in favor of "unfair combo poo poo."

It would be like Deathrite, It's not broken per se but it would basically force every single fair deck in the format to play it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

I still think the loser should have their name changed to Painful Truths and have their picture changed to its art.

Why? This is a format where for some reason a turn 2, 1 mana 4/5 Azure Mage is just fine. Given that, I don't see why a turn 3, 4 mana over 2 turns, 4/4 vigilance, lifelink creature that dies to Bolt, Clique, Thoughtseize, Duress, and artifact hate is really that big of a deal?

And it looks like they've already given up on printing halfway decent equipment. I don't think anything has been even close to playable since Sword of Feast and Famine. What's the best one we've gotten since then? Godsend? The one that gives +1/+1 fof each color the creature is?

It doesn't die to Bolt...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Procrastinator posted:

mcmagic is not allowed to put ellipses in his posts in this thread anymore.

Never agreeing to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Stoneforge dies to Bolt. And I don't think anyone is going to make the claim that 1W: put a Batterskull into your hand is particularly broken.

1W: "Your opponent reveals a Bolt from their hand or loses the game" is pretty broken.

• Locked thread