Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
recently i dug up the first gameboy game i ever owned

in entirely related news, elevator action gb, batman return of the joker and motocross maniacs all own a whole lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Not a Children posted:

I had the bright red one, too. My great shame is that I had to buy a slightly off-color battery cover to replace the one I lost
this is actually a friend's red gb i borrowed, my old grey brick seems to have been murdered by the batteries that were left in it or something :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

beepstreet posted:

Upon further investigation of the missing games, I have found that my brother was stealing and selling them and many other things from my parents house where I was keeping them. I'm down almost $1400 worth of stuff. Happy holidays :(
you might be down $1400 of retro games, but he'll be down an arm or more after he injects slightly more heroin than originally intended

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

I don't mean to show my hand early here, but one of my 2016 gamer goals is to get a Dreamcast so I can play Shenmue 1 & 2.
looking at prices on ebay (and assuming you're not just gonna burn a cd :v:) it looks like the xbox version of shenmue 2 might be a better go, since it's cheaper, has an english-language dub (which people have hacked into the dreamcast game) and some other tweaks, and runs on a 360 with some minor non-fatal bugs.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 3, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

I'm gonna burn a CD.
oh okay, well in that case it might be worth looking for the english dub mod

also keep in mind the dc version was only released in a PAL version so you might need a boot disc or a vga adaptor or something? i don't know a lot about dreamcast stuff, sorry

Not a Children posted:

Waiting an hour and a half for the CD to finish burning in my 1998 Compaq... that moment of anticipation as it spun up, waiting to see if it was finally a playable copy of Crazy Taxi or just another coaster... those were the days
one day scientists will figure out what the hell the point of GD-ROM was when DVDs were a thing

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

I buy carts but not cd/dvd cause they are usually scratched to hell and don't work
i bought a ps1 copy of quake 2 secondhand and it had a huge blockbuster video sticker on the disc

still worked thankfully

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
also at one point i bought a copy of crackdown for 360 secondhand, and it was so scratched that it eventually decided to stop loading stuff

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

beepstreet posted:

What about the onimusha series? Surprised that's been dormant for so long.
apparently every onimusha game only sold about 60% of what the previous game sold, so i guess it just kinda stopped making enough money at some point

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

I bought an atari 2600.
get any games with it? i have a real soft spot for HERO

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
shopping online for legit gba and ds games nowadays is probably like playing russian roulette with a full chamber... except instead of having your skull splatter over the walls you get a bootleg with a casing made of putty that doesn't save your progress so good

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJg4GES36kg

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'd like to play an updated Bushido Blade some day. not sure how well it stands up though when played independent of a bong accessory
bushido blade is still super good and really unique - there's nothing else quite like it, and that's a goddamn shame

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Sorry I meant Sega Master System which doesnt have Sonic 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeyG_1W-YJE

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
i want to play the yakuzas but i don't have a ps3 so i'd only be able to play the two oldest games

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
actually pretty fun, oddly enough

In Training posted:

Im about to play DOOM for the first time in my life.
llllucky! have fun!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
if you could dump your own roms with it without some custom firmware from japan it'd have some use

as it stands, not so much.

anyway proper 64dd emulation is nearly a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gpnkqZC4tU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

Ive got two levels left in Quake 1 and I don't want it to end.
your boy at machinegames has you covered

https://twitter.com/machinegames/status/746363189768650752

see also: arcane dimensions and all the other frankly ridiculous amounts of mapsets out there. quake injector is cool and good if you can tolerate java on your pc

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
yo this game's music is just

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xegb1IZ0Tdc

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
it's an honorable existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The old FMV was like, literally the game would just play a video. It was just when your game was 2GB you could stuff a shitload of videos into it. That's why at some point they were selling literal episodes of TV shows on GBA carts.

The N64 carts went up to 64 Mb lol. Someone wrote a way too detailed article on them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_Game_Pak

The GBA tv stuff is such a weird relic of its time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance_Video#Disadvantages

You can buy loving shrek the movie on a gba cart. People forget that between this and UMDs there's a reason phones ate the handheld gaming space, people always wanted a mobile device that could do more than games
it was a weird time, and the way that tech came to fruition was also weird:

quote:

Alex: Looking back now, I can see that we were young and fearless and didn’t see any limits to what we could do. We were at a trade show in the UK and had just seen some specifications for the Game Boy Advance, which was launched around that time. We thought that with so many display colours maybe we could include a movie in the software. We weren’t sure whether we would be able to do it, but we were bold enough to go up to the Nintendo booth and look around trying to find someone we could talk to. (laughs)

Jérôme: We thought we would have zero chance of getting anything out of it.

Alex: Right. And then I saw someone who seemed a bit remote and just walking around, but he seemed to work at Nintendo. He was Japanese and I could see from his badge that he was some kind of general manager, so I realised that he was an important person. So I jumped in and did my piece, saying "we think we can do something great with the Game Boy Advance based on the specs! Please just give us a chance to show it!" But my English wasn’t good enough and I was probably speaking too fast from excitement, so Okada-san didn’t really understand what I was saying.

Iwata: And your English was probably much more French than it is now.

Alex: So I was very disappointed. But he must have thought that something about it was interesting because he came back to the booth we had. But we still struggled to communicate, so I just wrote numbers on a piece of paper. I wrote the resolution of the Game Boy Advance, the frame rate and the number of bits per pixel, and I divided by 100. I was trying to show how much the graphical data can be compressed by this calculation. When Okada-san saw that fraction along with the numbers, it must have rung a bell in his head because he said, “Oh yeah! That’s great!” So the fraction was saying everything.

Iwata: You couldn’t communicate with words so you were having a conversation with numbers?

Alex: From an engineer to an engineer, there is no language barrier with numbers. It’s a universal language.

Iwata: I think that's really amazing. Your courage to approach Okada-san but also Okada-san's courage to start asking you to do something. (laughs) I can still remember when Okada-san came back and he told me, "I met some interesting people in France and I've asked them to work on something to see what they can do."

Alex: I didn’t know that he talked to you about us. (laughs)

actimagine was eventually purchased by nintendo, renamed NERD (heh) and would go on to create the nes classic and a bunch of virtual console tech