Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I career swapped from manufacturing to development a couple years ago and I was able to get away from a lot, but it seems like I will never get away from consultants who love to talk about old japanese men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

Are you me

Taiichi ohno blah blah blah Toyota, waste blah blah just in time, agile *consultant fellates japanese man* followed by your organization cargo-culting some stupid system and consultants cashing a big pay check.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kanban seems like the best style of agile to work with if you have to. My team has pretty much abandoned our board, which is great IMO. The only time I can see if being useful is organizing and planning out the little steps that are required to complete big features.

We were tracking stories and doing daily or bi-weekly stand ups but nobody ever cared about what anyone else was doing so we decided to stop wasting our time.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Daviclond posted:

This sounds really strange, do people not become disengaged and drop off the radar? How do you deal with conflicts and dependencies between stories? Does your "team" even work together? I honestly cannot imagine working like this, because my team is the polar opposite: constantly talking and planning together with discussions centered on our board, epic board and backlog.

My team is a clusterfuck. We're working on splitting in half to work for different organizations, so each half is doing different stuff on the edges.
Within each half there are 2 sub teams, one which writes modules that don't need input from anyone else, and another that writes the tools/framework & deploys.

The sub team leaders normally communicate more than individual team members so they're able to coordinate conflicts and dependencies. We're good about coordinating ad-hoc and just messaging each other when things come up.

What we recently began doing in place of walk the boards is a weekly show & tell where 3 - 4 people will spend 15 minutes showing what they're working on. We all rotate showing our work. This gives a deeper dive into what people are doing and let's others brainstorm ideas and see there they can collaborate.

TL;DR my team is a clusterfuck with people who don't need to collaborate for long periods of time.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Being in meetings always feels like sitting in timeout. Like sitting in a chair staring in the corner because you were rude to your grandma time out

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would rather have a discussion on a wiki, message board etc instead of connecting to a zoom call where 3 people talk for an hour and 8 others sit in silence.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This guy is just a factory of really stupid poo poo:

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1458061300374949888

Ah yes, the legendary MVP without any P at all.

He just described SA. Lowtax = genius? /s

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
99.9% of big projects are boring heaps of junk anyhow. You probably have just a big a chance finding a small project that is flashy/becomes flashy.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have you ever thought about how horrible the world would be if fart smells never disappeared? Working in development is just like that. 'Code smell'

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
That cultural interview stuff just seems like normal corporate fart huffing to me. You huff farts for an hour and then get on with your life and paycheck.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I totally deleted my AWS account after I just couldn't figure out what kept costing me money. I had spun up some cheap stuff for a tutorial and kept getting charged even after I tore it down. I checked the billing dashboard and deleted everything referenced there. And wow wouldn't you know they still just kept finding a reason to bill me for something like 59 cents.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most of the new grad hires or interns I've worked with have been good. They're eager and excited and haven't seen enough poo poo to be jaded yet. It's the contractors who are often cursed. Half of them can't even read a stack trace.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Following Clean Code is better than nothing if you're a beginner just at the point where you can create spaghetti code and have no strong opinions of your own. Once you get some experience you'll start to find examples of the book falling apart, but by then you know the rules well enough to know when to break them. If you're already a working dev then I'd read the book and let the ideas float around in your head but don't be dogmatic about anything.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

maybe The Pragmatic Programmer, I'm not sure I'd call it more up to date but it has better advice

This is the book I was thinking of too. Better than clean code.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
My team claims 1 point = 1 day but then we also do fibonacci numbers... so I guess no task should ever take 4 days?

Also, if the team has completed an average of 40 points the last 3 sprints our manager makes sure the team takes 40 points worth of work, but then gets slightly annoyed when we miss even though using the average as a target means we'd only hit the target 50% of the time.

I have a background in manufacturing quality assurance so I know a control chart and how to measure a process like the back of my hand but trying to change anything is 'gaming the system'. Agile sucks rear end. Kanban for life.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cat Machine posted:

and and and you serve your two years then get a better paying job elsewhere lol

I'm convinced this is the best way to do it. You don't potentially piss off your team members trying to be their boss, you don't spend a year or more busting your rear end for a 5% raise (or nothing at all). You interview for a couple months, put some extra effort in for a 4 hour interview and make a clean break for 20%+ more and a clean slate of expectations from you.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

Has there ever been anything as huge a waste of time as the performance review?

Mega Comrade, great job writing a bunch of nice sounding bullshit about the bullshit goals we set in Q1 that became irrelevant a week later. I like you, so here's a 5% raise. I don't like your coworker so you get their 2.5%. Congrats on the huge raise!!

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Another +1 for obsidian. I also like emacs org mode & vimwiki for simplicity. But, obsidian has a nice mobile app and I like setting it up with syncthing so I can keep my note on my phone.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do you all normally pull the feature branch and run the code to test it manually? We have a react native codebase and it's expected for reviewers to build the app and test the feature manually. If you approve something with a bug and haven't tested it manually it's almost as much your fault as the submitters, no matter how detailed and documented the MR has been. IMO if your code passes the scrutiny of your reviewers reading your MR, passes the build pipeline and you create a bug, it's 100% on you to fix and shame for not having a test setup that isn't garbage. This has led to people being super cautious about issuing approvals and generally pisses me off.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Glad Im not crazy about the high friction MRs. At some point you gotta build poo poo and ship it.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

StumblyWumbly posted:

The best part of standups is when everyone learns to just tune their coworkers out

I used stand-ups to relearn how to play the banjo.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
My job just released automatic AI analysis on PRs. Sometimes it can give context to something I don't totally understand but it mostly just says in five sentences what could be said in one. Its full of padding, like when a college student is trying to hit a page minimum.

I can see its usefulness somewhere in the future. I can also see myself having to explain to juniors why something the AI says is wrong a million times.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Docs are only good if they're well written and mostly up to date. And lots of people are poo poo at writing, especially technical writing, or just don't care. If your team has a process for something that's done manually with humans, it should be well documented so that it's repeatable and understandable by someone new after the 1st or 2nd walk through by someone experienced. Even better if a complete newbie can follow it.

Making docs this way requires a team that has the expectation of good docs. IMO this should be the norm in a professional setting.

You can keep docs updated by following them while you do the task. Just update bits that are unclear or outdated as you work through them. You don't have to open them up every time, but once in a while is probably enough.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dang that's like tech_debt.txt copy pasta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
What you're chasing with interesting problems is insight and knowledge. A CEO is just chasing money.