Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

This might belong in the general Wii U thread, but is there a reason this is taking 80 hours to download? I have a 150 mbps internet connection, I'm not applying any limits on the wireless, and my Wii U is right next to the router. 30 GB+ steam games download in under an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Zombie Defiler posted:

Half the stuff in the thread where people are talking about the plot yet haven't finished the game, the universal answer is just "they answer that question further along"
I really don't want to say poo poo about the end game story reveals because I know everybody peeks under spoiler tags out of curiosity.

Did we play the same game? The only two questions that were answered were the motivation of the Ganglion and the nature of the mims, and even then the second one was undone with a post-credits "psyche! It is a mystery/sequel hook"

What's the deal with Mira? Why does it translate all languages and give robots souls? Why does it prevent space/time travel? Is there more to the native Mirans than "they made a bunch of cool ruins and blew themselves up"?

Was there any character motivation for Octomom/Squid Kid/Jabba other than "kill all humans"? Why have three different characters if they all do the same thing?

What was The Great One/The Vita? Why was it in Dead Man's Gulch? Did it have anything to do with The Tainted?

What is Elma?

A Perfect Works guide for this game would be so dense you could fire it out of a back-mounted cannon and one-shot superbosses with the gravity damage.

Louisgod posted:

The best times I've had with this game is jumping on mountains or cliffs that seem like they're impossible to climb, somehow managing to get up them and finding a truly awe inspiring view of part of the world. It's the main reason I kinda don't want a skell.

The game peaks between when you get the skell and when you get the flight pack. It can still jump multiple times its own height and it doesn't increase enemy sight radius so you can pull off the same walljumping and stealth shenanigans except on a more absurd scale. The concept of a stealth giant robot becomes much less funny when you reach Sylvalum though.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

zedprime posted:

The director has said he is ready for something completely different, kind of implying XCX was already too similar to XC for his tastes. Besides the final stinger is kind of par for the Xeno- course of "and they lived philosophically strangely ever after." What could more game do to further the story? Do they cope? Do they not? They are questions that would be answered in science labs and public policy meetings, not during grand adventure.

I'd argue the opposite. The theme is relatively complete and whether people eventually cope is clear because most of the sidequests are about accepting change and understanding that it's okay to not be traditionally "human" (or Orpheon, or Prone...) but the story is ultimately inconclusive. Plot threads are introduced and then never brought up again. It's got all the vague foreshadowing of Xenogears with none of the actual reveals.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the things they should've done is drop maybe a quarter of the party members (still keeping them as NPC's) and use their Affinity Mission budget on story or the other characters (like L, who doesn't exist story-wise past his intro).

Gwin's very minimal content could be folded into appearing in Irena's.

Doug's non-existent for story content beyond the opening visit to NLA and giving the PC's someone to talk to that isn't Vandham.

The Murderess could just be outright excised at no loss because loving hell. :stare:

Lao could go as well (as a party member), because even his affinity missions all consist of "hi guys, bye guys, have fun guys :wave:".

There are too few traits (both personality and gameplay) distributed among too many characters, along with the tedium of having to manage everyone's equipment, skills, and arts. It wouldn't be as bad if party members had some interaction with each other, but they interact almost exclusively with Cross who is a non-character. I wouldn't mind a silent protagonist if they played straight man to some more colorful characters, but almost everyone is some mild variant of "human soldierman".

The DLC was pretty weird too. Alexa was what Lin should have been and I can't figure out why they thought the game needed a weaboo space Nazi.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I also don't get why there are two levels of each weapon specialization. A duelist can use all samurai gunner arts and receives bonuses to the same stats so why do we need both of them?

Baal posted:

I also like Ga Jiarg, but he's not a playable character for some reason even though he's cooler than the whole cast

If I had to do it I'd probably set it as

Cross (wildcard)

Elma (Fullmetal Jaguar)
Alexa/Lin hybrid (Astral Crusader)
Ga Jiarg (Galactic Knight)
Nagi (Samurai Gunner)
L (Bastion Warrior)
Orpheon party member (Mastermind)

It feels like a step back from Xenoblade in how apart from a few cases like Nagi character's classes/arts don't have anything to do with them.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

bloodychill posted:

If it was a stand-in for purgatory, Lao would have gone to heaven after redeeming himself instead of waking up on the shores, at least if you go with most 'they're stuck in purgatory' narratives. Maybe Mira is some artificial reality created by the aliens that destroyed Earth and they wanted to preserve the remains of humanity and the Ganglion they destroyed. Maybe it's a sentient world and L is its ambassador. I have no idea.

Plot twist: Humanity is trapped in an MMO something something malevolent demiurge

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Jsor posted:

My only real complaint about the gameplay itself is that spike damage was also an interesting concept that was executed horribly. Sometimes you just run up to an enemy as Seven, immediately die, and say "... oh, spike, huh". I guess the AI is also semi-incompetent, but the game seems pretty balanced around that.

I can't see what the intention was with spike damage. It discourages offense, isn't a factor before the postgame, isn't explained, and the only counter is to stack 100% spike resistance (which is possible by the time you start encountering enemies with spike counters).

Internet Kraken posted:

The problem I had with Xenoblade Chronicles' story is that it kind of shoots itself in the foot with everything related to Zanza. It sets up a rather understandable antagonist but then replaces him with a pointlessly evil JRPG douchebag god.

To be fair, Egil's character wouldn't work without a greater evil to fight. Zanza would be a lot more acceptable if they kept the scenery-chewing giant voice. "Malevolent demiurge Shulk" is just kind of silly.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Caphi posted:

Xenoblade XX (Double Cross).

I look forward to the adventures of Elma, Lin, and original character Donut Steel in Xenoblade Chronicles X-2.

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV The Commander holds you in place for like 15 minutes to carefully explain what every single loving division does in painstaking detail. It makes you think they are gonna be important and not just something that adds an invisible perk most people won't even notice. Its an example of the game explaining something in the most pointlessly complex way.

I also don't remember them having much of a story importance either. You would get a quest and they would mention the division involved but after that it doesn't matter. It was usually just the Pathfinders getting themselves eaten by a giant monster again anyways.

XBX spends a ridiculous amount of dialog explaining very mundane things.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Casual reminder that xbc is about that anime when you flip back to Japanese

I'm cool with anime as long as it's not XBX's weird potato people and Knuckles raps.

I will miss the alien environments though.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I know they didn't, though the quality of the writing was so drastically different I have trouble believing it. I'd like to think they could do better again but its hard for me to be optimistic.

The writing team wasn't that different.

XB
Concept: Tetsuya Takahashi
Game Design: Koh Kojima
Scenario:
Tetsuya Takahashi
Yuichiro Takeda
Yurie Hattori

XBX
Concept: Tetsuya Takahashi
Game Design: Koh Kojima
Scenario:
Yuichiro Takeda
Mamoru Ohta (co-directed XB's cutscenes)
Kazuho Hyodo

Hyodo was the only newcomer. People were worried about him before release (his other writing credits are the reviled Gundam Seed Destiny and Gundam AGE), but I'm not sure how many of the flaws can be pinned on him. Takahashi's reach often exceeds his grasp and it feels like we got a reverse-disk-2 scenario where they had no idea how to fit the story vision to the gameplay vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

One of XCX's issues was it had a feeling of "we're doing this thing because it worked in XC" and Tatsu was by far the biggest offender in that regard. Such a blatant attempt to be a comedy character like Riki but he fails at that while also being utterly worthless. Lin should've actually made him in to a meal and been done with it because he was a total writing failure.

I hate to say this but Tatsu was, if anything, a return to normal for the Xeno series.

• Locked thread