Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Reviews are pouring in, game is not an unmitigated disaster, will be a blast to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry Louisgod, I saw one there that said the game has annoyances and so it actually will be the worst game ever and worse than two Hitlers.

Extremely hosed up if true

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

icantfindaname posted:

review scores are dumb and serve no purpose other than to enrage nerds but they are a good indicator of how game reviewers are fickle, bigoted nerds themselves

Wrong. Reviews tell us about energy busts, energy blasts, skell, skell hoists, BLADE meetings, New LA night. It's wonderful. I've never felt so excited in all my life. These people looked deep within their soul and assigned a number based on the order in which Nintendo paid them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Here's the problem with the soundtrack: It's repetitive, formulaic, and often doesn't mesh with the environment. In contrast, XB's soundtrack was organic, varied and complimentary to both the environments and situations, proving that poo poo-rear end buttrock with blazing guitars could pump you the gently caress up if used properly, or that a slow melodic piano somehow seems part of a snowy mountain that grows impossible to find cabbage on random ridges.

Sawano's music isn't necessarily bad but it would've been better if he were featured as a guest musician along with those that made tracks for XBC. The Iwata Asks with the musicians gives fantastic insight into how much a labor of love the soundtrack was and how varied each musician is. Sawano has a type and doesn't really deviate outside of it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Baal posted:

I would say the music absolutely fits the style the game is going for. A lot of the ambience and walking around tracks do a good job of conveying the desolate, but still immaculate Mira. All of the vocal music is used in battles and skells, it's meant to pump you up and also attempt to build narrative on the life you're fighting. Now a lot of it is kinda weird about the because the lyrics are a gobbled mess in most songs except Black Tar, which is ironically the most hated song.

That being said there are definitely too many vocal tracks and the World's Enemy theme did not need to be the opening theme with lyrics.

These battle themes are loving stupid and make me either want to (not) play Madworld or go back in time 12 years and play DDR, not cut off the head of a huge snake dragon thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwKw6vQo6_U

lol at New LA's night theme, it'd fit right in with TWEWY or Kingdom Hearts or even Persona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyA_BmX8dgs

The songs that don't have lyrics are at the least serviceable but ultimately forgettable. X needed Takahashi to dial in Sawano and bring more people in to bring variety to the instruments like he did with XBC.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TurnipFritter posted:

Everyone likes Beyonce they should have gotten her to compose the soundtrack.

You mean the 45 people that compose and write it for her?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

This is actually a pretty good track (there definitely are a few stand-out pieces) but again, his arrangements are predictable and his schtick of building up "epic" hymns by splicing them to fit the chorus gets old. Still think he'd have been a great guest musician.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Taint Reaper posted:

I have on good authority that the pre-sales to the game are pulling Zelda-like numbers.

You read GameFAQs too?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Taint Reaper posted:

So the Zelda for the wii-u is probably going to be a launch title.

Either two things will happen: They'll pull a GC/Wii stunt and release an NX-only port with added features, OR the NX will be backward compatible with the WiiU and will play the new Zelda, giving overlap and incentive for people to just get an NX instead. Considering Iwata's past remarks of a unified OS and hints of BC, I'd bet on the latter.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The only correct name for your Skell is Metal Face.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Rexroom posted:

I don't want to give my mecha your girlfriend's nickname. :mad:

First, it's Skell, second, your mom didn't tell me her nickname.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure you literally can't dress her in skimpy clothes now, isn't that what the "they're censoring my pedophilia" outcry was over?

That and the breast slider.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Also added my name to the list.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Can you adjust day and night like in Xenoblade?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Reading the manual, I love how the tyrants have a crown near their name depending on how many players they've killed online. I hope the first tyrant you run into is a level 10 caterpillar that jumps people.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Baal posted:

I have been running in a circle picking up these collectibles trying to get this second auroran bone for about half an hour and I don't know why

It's definitely the spiritual successor to Xenoblade.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Calico Heart posted:

Is there a way to easily change who you're targeting when you're fighting a group of enemies? Only way I can figure is to exit the battle menu entirely then re-enter it when looking at a different enemy

Hold R and press Y or A to cycle through the enemies, which I also think is how you target enemy parts too. Like Xenoblade, you can also use the D-pad to instruct your party to concentrate attacks or do something else, which was vital in XB for named enemies and boss fights and seems vital in this game too.

e: What's the most straightforward way of upgrading your Mechanical field skill? I've read to do this ASAP and don't want to have to search online on how to do it.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 7, 2015

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Baal posted:

Increasing your Blade Level is the only way to do it and you do that through just doing sht.

I read that you can speak to Eleannor or whatever her face is near the quest board and upgrade there, is that not the case?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's the case, when you've gone up a BLADE level.

Cool, thanks y'all. So just do poo poo to increase BLADE level ie quests, collections, etc? Even knowing Xenoblade inside out doesn't prep people well enough for the mechanics of the this game since it's either super vague or overwhelming.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TurnipFritter posted:

It wouldn't have killed them to give the different areas of the city different music.

Sawano's music all sounds the same so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Honestly though the music's not too bad as long as the tracks without lyrics don't come up but when they do wow is it lovely. The daytime NLA Janis Joplin grunts and yeahs are especially bad.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't know why they switched away from the old system of using L/R to cycle forward/backward through nearby enemies. A bunch of the control decisions in this game are some weirdass Donkey Kong 64 poo poo where you combine a random trigger with a random face button.

I'm guessing it's the inclusion of being able to target appendages that accounts for the change, but even then, they should've mapped jump to a face button and put the appendages toggle on a trigger.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Do gathering quests auto-complete like they did in XB? I think I just cleared chapter 4 but before setting out I accepted a bunch of 1 star gathering quests in the hopes I'd grab all the collectibles while adventuring but I still have quite a few. On the same note, I noticed a few quests ask to give 1200 or 1700 units or moranium or whatever it's called. Do you have to go somewhere to do it?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I said come in! posted:

Quests will auto complete. The moranium you don't need to collect yourself, you get it automatically from probes. Just make sure you have the storage units placed on the map to get the amount you want. There's a quest for example that asks for 10,000 moranium, I couldn't complete it because in total I could only hold 6000 units, placed some storage units down and got up to 21,000 moranium so I was able to complete the quest.

Where and how do you place storage units? Honestly I'm probably a bit early in the game still but the game doesn't do a good job of easing you into these elements or making it clear how they work.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I said come in! posted:

When you place a marker at those beacons of light around the gameworld, you'll then be able to use the gamepad on the map of the world to place probes. These probes can give you money (research), moranium (production), or bonuses to both. Storage probes give you bonuses to how much moranium total you can auto collect from your production probes. Place storage probes by each other as this will give you a stacking bonus.

GOT IT, thank you! I've been placing like probes next to each other but don't think I have a storage probe yet.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

tidiox posted:

I think you get your first storage probe from completing the second or third story mission. In general they seem gated by story progress, but I'm still early in the game. Also, you should do Kristy's missions if you haven't already; her whole questline is meant to teach you about the different probe types and rewards you with a bunch of them.

Hers was the last mission I took last night before I nodded off (I'm old and have kids leave me alone), so now I have three probes to place in gently caress-off locations. Heavily contemplating divorce and abandoning my kids to finish the game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Do the green target symbols above enemies mean they're part of a quest or even a general "kill x enemy" quest? Doing random exploring and running into quite a few.

Also, if you aren't randomly exploring then piss off and do it. It's a ton of fun booking it to random sites to plant probes and sight see.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The class I chose starts with a raygun and knife with the ultimate goal of getting a photon sword because Shulk and it said it's for advanced players and I'm no little bitch. Is it a stupid path?

Speaking of, random question, but remember the first trailer showed what most people thought was Shulk? Was that a stupid tease toward nothing or is there something to it? I secretly wish this world is the world that Shulk created but it doesn't sound like they did anything cool with the story.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Good, I'm looking forward to cutting poo poo up Kylo Ren style, unless Kylo Ren turns out to be stupid, so I may be Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight style instead.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I spent 3 hours last night just wandering NLA to talk with NPCs and look for easy, random quests and ended up helping some chick fix her latte machine.

This loving game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
What's inclusive of the survey percentage of each continent? I couldn't start chapter 4 without a 15% survey rate and probes were only netting me like 1% each so it took forever to get there.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Thanks for the advice on the survey percentage, I've been trying to do the hearts to hearts and tyrant battles but am still only level 12 so I'm pretty limited. That, and some areas are barred off due to high level enemies guarding them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Whose stupid rear end idea ta Monolith was it to have your benched party not level up? What the hell JRPG year is this? It's okay if we have like 5 playable characters but there are what, 17, 18 in this game?

Outside that, I'm glad in this game affinity/heart to heart icons lead to actual quests. I haven't even began chapter 4 and have already completed three of them. I'm still racking my brain to understand how this one studio built such a huge loving game and didn't end up with it coming off as a buggy mess.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Good to know about the easy way to level up team members, I'll have to remember to mow down innocent species with my giant space robot once the second mortgage on my three story house that overlooks the industrial district goes through, or once my probes pillage all the resources from this stupid planet.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sorry what did you call me?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Senerio posted:

Wasn't he not with Irina because he was doing stuff on another part of the map, and Irina fell off a cliff and didn't have magical protagonist powers to jump off the highest ledge in the game in high heels and land safely?

Really she should've just let herself die so she could be resurrected near the closest landmark. NPCs are stupid.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
How do you collect Scout Rewards? Not seeing anywhere to pick them up.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
THANK YOU. Sometimes I don't know if this game is obtuse or if I just overlook things.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
What pisses me off about the Y/A targeting is how you somehow can always accidentally target some random enemy in the distance but can't target their loving leg or tail or ballsack neck that's three feet away.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mango Polo posted:

Bad Idea: Press R3 to enter appendage targeting mode, Y/A to cycle through appendages.
Good Idea: Make player hop around the enemy and spin the camera until the appendage soft target reticule appears, but cancel the soft target at random intervals for added challenge.

I thought R3 just locks on to a target? Cycle through, lock on. If not, I'm an idiot.

Looper posted:

You can't manually target different appendages I don't think, you just have to physically move yourself closer to the thing, which is probably also why skells have a much harder time with it. It's meh

oh so you just indiscriminately move to a ballsack or wing or tail, hack away and see if it flies off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

victrix posted:

I dunno, so far I've done about fuckall to optimize my gear or arts or skills beyond 'equip higher poo poo' and 'level up poo poo' and combat is still really really easy

Same but I'm only level 17, I bet it makes a difference in the latter levels like it did in the original Xenoblade.

• Locked thread