Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Massively looking forward to this game! Is the thread title a Xenogears thing? It sounds familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ah, yes. Thanks, both of you! The only Xenogears thing I've seen is Dark Id's LP of it, so I must have seen it there.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I still haven't listened to any of the music from this game. I'd prefer to hear it for the first time while playing the game, to decide whether I like it or not.

Not going to be able to play it until next Wednesday, either way. :( Why did I gotta go out of town over release day?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Mile'ionaha posted:

Riki is best because you can turn him into a black metal Faberge egg who runs around turning enemies into Bleeding, Frozen, Flaming, Poisoned worlds of pain.

I will be honest, though, story and Gnosticism was what got me into Xenogears and Xenoblade Chronicles. Well, that and the Continent God Bodies from XC (world gods are my aesthetic).

Humans fighting aliens in giant robots in an open world? Eh.

This man gets it. Riki is the best. Heropon best -pon.

Other great thing about Riki is he acts like your typical cutesy mascot, but then you find out he's actually a middle-aged father of way too many and he took the Heropon gig because the villagers forgave the massive debt he racked up keeping his kids fed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

TescoBag posted:

I wish I could rent a Wii U because I don't want to buy a console just for one game :(

Well... you could buy the console for this game and the other cool games on the system? Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario 3D World, not to mention Smash and Mario Kart. Oh and there's a Zelda game coming out for it next year. Two if you count Twilight Princess HD.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I'm not going to be able to play this until a week from today. :bang: GodDAMMIT.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dolls was a stupid name. I'm not saying I'm completely sold on Skells, though I might be now with the Skeleton Crew, but it baffles me that people are upset that they changed the name at all.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Rexroom posted:

I see, so it was more about the male sex being afraid of a strong female who imposes her feminine values on others. Interesting.

No? It was more about dolls being a stupid name. Dolls are dumb and boring. They cry "mama" and piss themselves, and that's about it. If they did actual cool things, it'd be a different story, but they don't. So they are dumb. This is fact.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Finished the game this weekend and it took me this long to catch up with the thread. I was avoiding it due to spoilers, or something.

I gotta say, I was pretty "meh" on Lin at first, but by Chapter 11 and especially 12 I actively despised her. The game forcing you to side with her didn't help matters. The ONE time a dialog box would have been entirely appropriate and meaningful and the game doesn't give you one! I would have popped bother her and Lao in the loving head by that point. Oh and speaking of Mr. Spoiler The whole thing with Lao was just so mishandled it wasn't even funny. You barely see any of Lao even in his Affinity missions, then you're supposed to care about his sob story? I had zero attachment to him at all. The fact that Lin liked him was also a point against him because I didn't like Lin. I still don't get why Lin likes him so much. He's such a non-character. She seems to have more interaction with Vandham and Doug. Why is Lao her pseudo father-figure?

However the main story being dumb as balls does not dampen my enjoyment of the game! I LOVE exploring and poking around all the nooks and crannies. Noctilum is my favorite region. It's like a mixture of Makna Forest and Satorl Marsh from Chronicles, and those were the two best areas in the game. How can you go wrong?

I basically stopped giving a poo poo about the story after Chapter 9 and my Skell could flyyyyyy. I love my Skell! My MC has Fiora's VA, her Skell is named Fiora, and the rest of the party's Skells are named after Xenoblade characters. Elma has Shulk, because she's the real protagonist and Lin has Reyn, because tank.

Only thing that annoys me at this point about the game are times when I arbitrarily can't bring my Skell. Like That Mission. You know the one. The one with the Rexoskell? Yeah. gently caress that thing. gently caress that whole poxy cave! That fucker took me a full two stinking days to beat. TWO. DAYS. The real kick in the balls was you have to chase it down again, only THIS time you actually get to use your Skell! Know how long that lasted? About 2 minutes, if that. BULLSHIT.

Oh and I've read that longswords are the go-to broken combo for ground combat, but I like being a Jedi too much.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Unoriginal One posted:

Nothing special about Longswords save for the fact that they're the only weapon type with superweapons; lightsabers actually work just fine, you just won't do quite as much damage.

The only thing that really matters is using Dual Guns for Ghostwalker and having at least one Arts: TP mod.

As for changing Divisions; there's a fee, but it's tiny, so go nuts.

Yeah I'd like to try that. Next on my list is to get some +TP mods. I've been relying on the Ramjet Rifle to generate TP for me but I'd like to try some Ghost Walker business instead.

Also some +accuracy Augs for my Skell. And I want an Ares 90 too. Ugh. So much farming! (Yes I know I can get poo poo with Reward Tickets but that's still a lot of tickets!)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Join the prospectors, you'll get tons of reward tickets for doing basically nothing.

Did so! Still need a ton of tickets.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go for the L60 Amdusias. From what I understand; the Ares 90 is as good as it'll ever get, but a L60 frame can beat it with better Intergalactic gear.

Can you buy that or do you have to craft it? I have a lv 50 Amdusias. Anyway no reason I can't have both, right?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

So I hit a brick wall on those two Sphinxes in Elma's last Affinity mission, even after the game de-levelled them for me, so I decided "gently caress this. I'ma gonna finish farming myself up an Ares!"

So I did and OH. MY. GOD. I didn't think the power jump from a tricked out lv 50 Amdusias to the Ares would be that drastic BUT IT WAS. One-shot insta killed both of 'em, and I didn't even set any Augments! I think I'm in love...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, but then L wouldn't have a bunny nose.

I put Lin in sunglasses that cover her plastic doll eyes first chance I got and it made her look about a million times less creepy and dumb in cutscenes. Highly recommended.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

This talk about stylish clothing made me want to update my look.

I am looking goooood now.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh man what is that mask! I wanna look like a Wonderful One! :allears:

It's just face paint from the character creator. I've had it the entire game, because... yeah. Wonderful One mask. :D

Actually now that I look at her, my character looks kind of like Bayonetta.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Why do Shrads just randomly start dodging everything and how can I get them to stop? Ditto for Definians. Just recruited Mia and it took way too loving long due to that lousy "lol can't bring your Skell in here" cave.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

All that purple in the background makes it look like a very hip nightclub.

I was going for a Third Street Saints look, but yeah, pretty much!

(Did you know Doug looks just like Johnny Gat if you put some sport shades on him?)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

What has been up with the Prospectors lately? For 3(?) days in a row now they have not been at the top, and yesterday they were at loving 7th!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

lesbian baphomet posted:

Ehh, not really? Ultimately all an infinite overdrive/infinite ghostwalker build needs is an Arts:TP Gain augment, and it's not that much work to ticket+farm one of those. Further ground upgrades are just gravy.

At least, not compared to the work it takes to make a high-end skell with Zenith Cannon and such (plus i'm pretty sure you have to have finished the game to even have access to the cannon?). Like yeah you could just outfit a level 50 with shop parts or whatever, but that's not really anything special, and it isn't hard to outperform that on the ground considering that almost every good damage ability for skells is on a 40-60 second cooldown.

What is it about Ghostwalker that makes it so good, especially when paired with Blossom Dance? I switched to Dual Guns so I finally have access to Ghostwalker (keeping the lighsabers though), and it seems... all right? Decoy is useful I guess, but Ghost Factory does the same thing, looks like?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

lesbian baphomet posted:

Ghost Factory costs TP and iirc it only gives Decoy 3 at max rank, on the bright side it affects the whole party. Ghostwalker gives Decoy 5 (which with secondary/tertiary cooldown I guess could become decoy6/7, if the cooldown bonuses allow that), which avoids more instances of damage, and costs nothing. With infinite overdrive to be able to put it back up before it expires, that makes you invincible to anything that doesn't spam a lot of multi-hit attacks to knock the decoy off before the cooldown comes back up (not counting spike, reflect, etc, but that's crap you'd have to augment specifically for anyway). Though with the Fast Forward skill, going from melee->ghostwalk makes running out of Decoy especially unlikely.

I use a photon saber combo build instead of Blossom Dance, but I'm pretty sure the reason people use blossom dance (on top of it being a generally strong melee ability) is because for some reason the game's only named ultimate ground weapons are boring rear end plain ol Longswords.

Ah, that's the exact build I'm going for (I think?). Would you mind telling me some details about your build? I assume you're running some Arts: Gain TP augs, and stacking melee arts that do more damage in melee combos (with Fast Forward, etc.)?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

lesbian baphomet posted:

Yeah sure. I don't think everything is perfectly optimal, but it's fun and works well.

Dual guns - Arts: TP Gain Up as a latent and another as an augment, Nullify Beam Reflect XX (not strictly necessary, but I like having it on because I usually accept invites to Telethia Plume), and Beam Attack Plus XX.
Attribute specific augs are for some reason extremely easy to craft, even the XX tier.

Beam saber - Three of the best Weapon Attack Power Up augs that I have (Melee Attack Up is better until you get a weapon with >150 base attack).

Armor - One Max TP XX (crafted it at like lv15 so the materials should be easy), one Extend Overdrive XX (i don't remember what the materials were for this one so it probably wasn't too hard to get), and filled out the rest with the best Potential augs I've got.
If you're able to comfortably infinite overdrive without the extend or the TP up (or you have them as latent abilities) then you could get more damage by replacing them with more Potential Up/Potential Boost.

Arts - Starlight Duster, Starfall Rondo, Starfall Blade, Starfall Blossom, Astrolibrium, Primer, Ghostwalker, Astral Heal
I could be using Galactic Cataclysm since this is a beam build, but I don't feel like my Potential is high enough yet to make it worth the time it takes to use. The easiest things to sacrifice for it would probably be Starfall Blossom or Astral Heal, but like having multi-hits to help build overdrive count, and I like having a heal to save myself and others during the global nemesis missions. If you had an Ether or Gravity saber instead, you could use pretty much this same setup but probably replace Astrolibrium with Astral Horizon for even more party healing.

Skills: Beam Boost, Fast Forward, Supreme Sword, CQC Master.
Pretty self-explanatory, just melee combo boosts plus an element boost. Crit isn't that powerful on its own, so CQC Master wouldn't be worth using if I didn't also have Primer to increase crit damage. Staying as Galactic Knight instead of going back to Drifter because I don't feel I urgently need a fifth skill slot and because I like the bonus stats from GK. If this were an Ether build instead of Beam, going Drifter and adding Core Crusher would probably be the best move.

Thanks for this! I found out I had the mats to make a Max TP Up Augment, which I didn't realize raises max TP by 3000! :vince: Holy hell. Also the extend overdrive Augment? 25 seconds! Yeah... working on getting the Arts: Gain TP augs now and I'm already seeing a difference. Thanks very much for the help. Ground combat is fun again! :D

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I just have one collectible in Oblivia and two in Cauldros and I am completely 100% done with the Collectopedia!

I haven't had to specifically hunt down what I'm missing yet. I've been lucky; I've just randomly run across what I was missing from tooling around the area.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Taear posted:

He wants 100k next. I've been playing for 80 hours now and I'm only at 85k, I don't even have any probes left! And I'm following that guide too.
I do kinda wonder where I get the other storage probes from, I don't think I've got any of those from treasures but perhaps I didn't notice. I don't think it's very good at showing you since it stacks with all the collectables and rolls by in groups of 3/4.

I just managed to do that quest last night! I followed that Gamefaqs probe guide linked earlier to the best of my ability, but what put me over the edge to 130k was hunting down sightseeing spots. Putting your probes on areas with sightseeing spots, and actually finding all those spots, makes you a ton of money!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Taear posted:

Wait now. Finding them boosts the money? I've maybe found three of them in total and I think they've all been in Cauldros.

I thought just them existing was what gave you more money, is that not the case?

Yeah, you know how when you click on the probe it'll say like "Sightseeing spots discovered 0/2" or whatever? If you go and FIND the spots, it'll say 2/2, and give you more money from that probe.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

White Mortifole Feathers will just not drop for me. I've gotten two the entire game and grind session on those stupid flowers.

Are you targeting the top part of the flower? The head has the highest drop rate for feathers. I was swimming in the things before too long.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

So, that infinite Overdrive sure is a hell of a thing! I used it to beat up the Rexoskell in the Time Trial missions. It was a bit... messy, but I sure had a much easier time of it than I did when I first had to fight that loving thing! Managed to get all the Rexoskell bits I need to build the lv 60 Amdusias frame, so yay!

That thing is still annoying and I hate it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Self-indulgent fashion post! Here's the Main Trio:

And Gwin may be a boring dweeb, but he is rocking this look:

EDIT: huh, when Imgur showed "original size" they were quite a bit smaller. timg'd.

What is that jacket called? I want to copy your look for Gwin.

Taear posted:

I had a similar experience. She oneshotted my team twice then the third time we easily breezed through her. Maybe her power that does loads of damage is interruptable and it happened to be interrupted?

Also, Neddy Seagoon - are there other quests tied into the amount of survey you have for paticular zones? I know there are quests like Haywire that require quite long chains to be completed before you can get them. And then are tied into affinity quests as well!

I still don't have Haywire. The guide has a list of what quests are prerequisites for it, but I'm not sure which of them I'm done. Does the game have a way to check what quests you've done? If not, I'm stuck just picking quests at random hoping one of them sets a flag for a quest I need for Haywire.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh! In that case, I can do it now! That Orphean set up robots at the plant to protect it (and I was waiting for the inevitable mission where they all go SkyNet on the place), but I was checking the mission console for it. I didn't think to go to the plant itself!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you're having touchscreen issues, keep in mind that it's capacitive, so you'll want to be using firm taps with your fingernail/knuckle/stylus, rather than the gentle swipes you might use on something like a phone.

This must be what messes me up. I had touchscreen things for years before I got a phone, and the phone screen feels super fiddly to me. I'm always tapping things when I mean to swipe, or accidentally trying to tap something with my fingernail.

So yeah, definitely use the stylus if you're having touchscreen issues!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Deathlove posted:

As long as we're talking about early game!

Doing the Probe-fessional quest, I felt like I ended up having to go two-three zones around to find a way to get up to the probe, but then there was a level 45 in the way on a narrow bridge designed to make me hit it. I obviously missed something somewhere, but man, mountains all over reminds me of Skellige in WItcher 3 - everything you want is gonna be on the other side of everything.

Are Affinity hexes always going to have somebody in them to talk about the quest to get them unlocked, or could the unlock be far away? I feel like I've talked to a lotttttt of people without really a hint of what's going on right outside of New LA.

Can I reach Noctilum and Oblivia as a level 14? There are 1-star quests on the board for there, so I assume that's good, and I played enough Xenoblade to know to just avoid the big dudes, but is that *actually* accessible before I wander on out there?

You can get to either of those places at any time. They're both connected to Primordia by land, so it's just a simple matter of walking there. Both areas will have low-level enemies scattered among high level ones, so watch what you agro!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I left him in his skivvies because I didn't like him. Having him show up like that would have destroyed any semblance of gravitas. Not that there was much to speak of from the start...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I have a very specific question. I'm doing the quest An Ancient Legend. Some Googling tells me I need to ask Slovity Pagus to help or the guys are going to get slaughtered. Problem is I can't find her. I've already done both her quests and I did not kill her men in her first quest. Anyone know where she hangs out after you've done her quests?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

I still can't believe they gave you 17 party members and you don't get at least one party member from each xenoform. I want to put together a party of humans, Nopon, Wrothians and Orpheans so badly. What a waste of a good opportunity

Yeah, I thought for sure at least Ga Jiarg or however his name is spelled would join you, but nope! The second I saw him, I thought he screamed "This guy will join your party eventually!" and I was excited to get a cool cat buddy. :smith: At least you can dress characters up like the cat people.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

The game is too committed to the concept of all your party members being BLADE operatives to do the whole "ragtag team of various species" deal.

There's that one Man-On who becomes a BLADE and solves murders. Aliens can totally be BLADES in this game!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Alxprit posted:

I'm almost sure Phoenix and G-Buster aren't buyable. If you can fly, the way I liked to grind before I got all my good stuff was sniping the level 59 Prone at the top of the big crater in Sylvalum. It's somewhere in the center left, I forget what it's called exactly. But, if you're patient, you can E-Scythe them, and then put away your weapons and just step all over them, launching them about and keeping them from actually fighting back, until you finally end up killing them. Rinse and repeat.

They are. At least the lv 30 versions are. I had no trouble getting the lv 50 versions from Badr Basin, so I never really checked.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

many johnnys posted:

When you go into cockpit-vision, are you supposed to be unable to see poo poo?

Going into cockpit mode is your cue to start spamming your most powerful arts again. It resets all your cooldowns and they cost no fuel if you use them while in cockpit view. You don't need to be able to see poo poo!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

many johnnys posted:

If you could make do until now, you can probably still make do until you pilot the biggest baddest robot.

Speaking of, how do you make money in this game? I've been doing sidequests. Most of the probe points are very good at mining and not very good at revenue, so I only have a few key ones (still making me something like 20k whenever it pops, which is not frequent). Also where can I get more storage probes?

Your biggest moneymaker is actually to put your Research Probes on areas which have sightseeing locations. Then actually find those sightseeing locations. If you click on a spot, the pop-up will tell you if the area covered by that probe has any sightseeing areas and how many you've found. Bear in mind it's the whole area covered by that probe, not just the hex its on. Each one you find gives you something crazy like 30k of extra revenue per tick. Since you get so few research probes, you have to use them efficiently.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Doing Definian Downfall, is Rexoskell supposed to be a brick wall or am I doing something wrong?

It is, and no you are not. Try stacking some electric and beam resistance on your gear. Its worst attacks use those elements.

What I ended up having to do was start making an infinite overdrive build (albeit with Photon Sabers instead of Longsword), and beat him to death while making myself invincible with Ghost Walker. It sucked.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Safety Scissors posted:

Has anyone made themselves a custom level 60 mech?

I made a lv 60 Amdusias, but I haven't bothered tricking it out yet. Maybe when I'm bored one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ashsaber posted:

So, after getting my Ares 90 that was tricked out with a dozen slayer Ultrfauna XXs taken down by Telethia without doing more than like 30% damage I checked how to actually beat it.

A second superweapon, 9 more slayer augs, maxing out as many phys boosts as I can, and five ranged attack drives. Each level of phys boost takes like 5 items only found in time attack. You need to get like fourty levels of it. I want to take down the ultrafauna, but so much grind...:negative:

...Well, at least some parts aren't that bad. Once I've got the slayer augs I can probably break all zero's parts in one or two shots, so that will speed things up a bit. And there are still a few other things I can do to take my mind off of it. And I'm definitely not getting more than a couple things in one sitting.

I can do this.

Right now I want to do it so I get the other ending for a quest where I need to kill Telethia. After that, probably a cathartic half dozen times to just prove I can.

Just keep in mind you can't change the loadout of the Ares90. If you want to get that second super weapon, you'll need a lv 60 Skell frame to put it on.

• Locked thread