Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

What a wonderful production the wise leaders of the conservative movement have prepared for us! I’m sure it’ll be a smashing hit! With Trump and Republican governors leading us down the path towards war and xenophobia, shooting up abortion clinics and Black Lives Matter protesters, and shutting down the government over all of the above. Yes, what a Grand Old Time we have here in America with the Grand Old Party! And so it should be no surprise that a good time will be had for all here in the USPOL thread for December 2015!

114th Congress Bingo Card

So how is House Speaker Paul D. Ryan doing after his first month in office? Let’s take a look, shall we?

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

Did you know that one of Hillary’s hired goons collaborated with CNN to smear poor, innocent Rand Paul? Clearly this means you shouldn’t vote for Hillary!

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Gonna have to remove those gold-fringed flags from the courtroom where the case against the Black Lives Matter shooter is being tried...

"I have been a conservative all my life. I have never met anybody, any conservative who wants to ban contraceptives."

"Every Muslim is a terrorist, period. Shut your mouth."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grouchio posted:

Should we be expecting a new patriot act this month? Or will the lesser crisis compared to 9/11 allow cooler heads to prevail?

For as much hand-wringing I made it out to be in the OP, I think what will happen is that they will talk big, but nothing will happen. Next year, some people will put out new proposals (including Tom Cotton who has vowed to reinstate the NSA's authority to collect phone metadata) but they won't be approved. However, one of those proposals that we see come out in the next year will be revived right after the next major terrorist attack and passed without comment.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
John Fleming wants to become Cruz's full-fledged ally in the Senate.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

Found it:

Banks with <= $10B in consolidated assets (indexed to inflation) get a guaranteed 6% dividend from the Federal Reserve (this was set to shrink to 1.5%)

For banks with >= $10B in consolidated assets (indexed to inflation) replaces the 1.5% rate with the smaller of either the rate equal to the high yield of the 10 year treasury note or 6%

So a massive handout to the banks and the return of the IM-EX bank are the poison pills, big handouts to the rich

Man, I wish I could get a guaranteed 6% return.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Another well-known journalist leaves the airwaves this month.

SCOTUS just sent a signal that it may well pick up the topic of Executive Amnesty this term instead of punting it until 2017.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SalTheBard posted:

I know this was a few pages back, I'm stupid when it comes to stocks. Could you please explain in lay terms what Short Selling is? I looked it up online but everything I found was a little over my head. Basically from what I gathered it was:

Company goes out of business = Stock price goes down
Turing CEO bought 70% of shares of defunct company at $.90 each to make value go up
More people bought the stock after causing price to go up
Turing CEO sells his 70% of shares causing price to plummet
People who bought the stock after him are hosed

Is that pretty much what happened?

Short selling is a sort of accounting trick that allows people to make money when a stock goes down. To be more specific, a short seller borrows shares of stock from someone who has a "long" position (i.e. is holding the stock so it goes up). The seller may then sell this borrowed stock, with the understanding that they are on the hook to buy back the same number of shares to eventually return to the original owner. If the stock goes down, the seller can buy back that number of shares at a lower price before returning them, and can pocket the difference in price between when they sold the borrowed shares and when they bought them back.

Short selling is dangerous, however, because stock prices can go up an unlimited amount. Thus, in order to guarantee that the person lending the shares will actually get them back, there is usually a minimum amount of money an investor must have in their account to act as collateral should they not be able to buy them back. If the price of the stock goes up a certain amount, this minimum amount of money goes up, and if the amount is not met, a broker may make what is called a "margin call", requiring the investor to pony up and bring their account up back to that "minimum margin requirement." Worse still, in order to get out of the position, that investor still has to make good and buy back that number of shares that they originally borrowed, which can be exceedingly pricey if the price has gone up too much.

Generally speaking, a mix of short sellers and long sellers is good, because they have opposite intentions. Long sellers buy low and sell high, while short sellers will "buy" high and "sell" low, helping to keep a stock's price in check. If a stock is likely to do poorly, short sellers will be taking positions and helping to drive the price down (because they want to buy at a lower price than whatever the current going price is to buy back their shares and lock in profits). If a stock is doing well, long sellers will be taking positions and helping to drive the price up (because they want to sell at a higher price than whatever the current price is to lock in their profits)

What Shkreli did was to screw up this natural balance for his own ends.

Shkreli bought 70% of the shares of a company that was going out of business (which meant that a lot of people had borrowed stock to make a profit by buying it back when it dropped). This (plus the fact that Shkreli pretended he was going to revive the company) suddenly drove the price up, which means that those investors start getting margin calls. In order to avoid that, those investors need to buy the stock back, even at a loss. Some investors caught on to this as the stock manipulation it was, and began shorting when Shkreli's power play began to fade, expecting that the price would again go down (which it did because of the balancing act I just mentioned)... But of course they only did so by borrowing Shkreli's stock. This was fine... Until Shkreli stopped lending it out. When he did so, the push to drive the price down evaporated again, since the short sellers could no longer get stock to short, and drove the price up even further, hurting the remaining short sellers.

As mentioned, these changes in price did not happen due to changes in KaloBios's fundamentals (the company is still basically defunct, even if Shkreli basically has control of the company) and were based purely in speculation to make Shkreli some money. Shkreli stands to win so long as the price doesn't go down below the ridiculous price he bought at, which is pretty easy to do given how much he drove the price up. Meanwhile, innocent investors get screwed because they tried to short things based on the fundamentals, but were forced to take losses due to Shkreli driving the price up for no reason other than his speculation.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 2, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Just a reminder: Don't be black and live in rural Alabama.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

When is the government shutdown supposed to happen this month?

December 11.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cythereal posted:

And there have been proposals at the state level to do exactly this.

Also remember that the real reason behind all of this is simple: punishing women for having sex.

The rabbit hole on punishing women here can go as deep as you want. There's a paper published in the Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law back in 2013 about no fewer than 413 forced interventions and coercion applied to pregnant women between 1973 and 2005, including details on 5 such cases. And this was before the 2009 case which ordered a woman to be confined to her bed and obey all of her doctor's orders (including giving up smoking) to preserve the life of her unborn child.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 2, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Epic High Five posted:

But what if I BELIEVE they cause abortions?

Then you're perfectly allowed to ban their use if it violates your personal beliefs to let them be used.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, because it's hit the right-wing media at this point, so it must be true.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Police spokeswoman now claiming multiple shooters, dressed in "military style" equipment

Watch as it turns out that these are actual ISIS terrorists. And then the country loses its mind.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

haveblue posted:

Maybe this would finally be the motivation to make guns harder to obtain.

Never ever.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

Please don't summon them here.

I'm sorry, but by law, every weapon which fires more than 5 times in a row is required by law to connect to the cell phone network and notify them to post in D&D.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Scanner says witness identified one shooter as a Middle Eastern man with a long beard.

Welp. It's been a good run, guys.

If this is true, hello President Trump.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

It's not.

Hopefully not. We don't know right now, and won't until they find these guys.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

Why would radical Muslim terrorists attack a disabled services center?

Why would any group of more than one person do so? The entire attack is a black swan event because, at least so far as we know, no one was expecting something like this to happen, ever. At this point, any explanation is game.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

Well then maybe it was loving Hitler alien dinosaurs.

Point. I'll hold off on further speculation on the subject.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So we're televising mass shootings weekly now. When do we get to televise mass shootings daily? Or on a 24/7 pay-per-view channel?

It's called CNN.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
This will probably get lost in the GUN GUN GUN, but a Colorado Representative has finally delivered the hot take we've all been waiting for.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Winkie01 posted:

Meanwhile in San Fransico today....

https://www.instagram.com/p/-z3eBvPopx/

The crisis actors are among us.

nicholas.y.harpso posted:

is this a good video edit or is there a video of this man being executed? it looks fisher when an officer's gun crosses in front of the light post, we never see him get shot, a round goes off with no visible impact, etc. there is no pretense as to why this happened either. I've seen student video work like this before. give the details.

:doh:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
When asked to explain why he would classify the deadly shooting as a hate crime, Carson said, "Well it's hard to imagine that you would shoot a bunch of people if you didn't hate them, right? You don't do that to people you love."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Better link.

Also, let's start debating about Daesh again.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Do we know the names of the other two shooters?

No.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Any concrete theories on a motive yet?

No.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I have a bad feeling that the longer that Muslim-sounding name hangs in the air with no further info, the more likely it is that some goober who's way too wound-up over ISIS will do something stupid and violent.

Yep. The Islamophobia is already gearing up.

So yeah, I would say the chances of that are starting to look better and better.

EDIT: CAIR is planning on holding a press conference in 30 minutes with the guy's dad, so yeah, expect the screaming white hot ball of Islamophobia to get even louder.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 3, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grouchio posted:

If these shooters worked for ISIS, would this doom the Democrats election?

It's not going to help, I'll put it that way.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Luigi Thirty posted:

A Trump presidency just became marginally more likely and Islamophobia is going to reach even higher levels now. Someone please tell me something nice happened somewhere today

Uh... Samurai Jack is coming back?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

site posted:

Don't worry, this will be forgotten about within the next month or so.

However, statistically speaking we'll have several more shootings before next November to make up for it.

As if Fox News and the Republican Party will ever let it be forgotten.

We're still talking about Benghazi for chrissakes.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Remember when everyone in this thread was saying "yeah, you guys are crazy for even entertaining the idea that it's ISIS-related"

Well that doesn't matter now, because the right wing is going to believe it whether or not it's true (and if it is true, well...)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Where we'll be going, Muslims won't need eyes to see.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Luigi Thirty posted:

A Trump presidency just became marginally more likely and Islamophobia is going to reach even higher levels now. Someone please tell me something nice happened somewhere today

Some elementary school kids were arrested for allegedly trying to blow up a school oh wait that's not good at all

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Farook and his compatriots reportedly began firing without saying a word.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
As if you couldn't stoke Islamophobia even hotter, Farook was "very quiet" and "flew under the radar", and recently returned from paternity leave. (:bahgawd: : If some normal unassuming Muslim can do this then they must all be evil!)

EDIT:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why doesn't Obama issue an executive order creating a "no gun list" for terrorists?

It would appear this shooting is Obama's fault for failing to prevent guns from falling into the hands of potential terrorists.

As if that wouldn't get overturned by the courts within a month as violating that holiest of amendments, the 2nd Amendment.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ratbert90 posted:

Clearly they were all yelling Allah Akbar Muhammad Jihad then.

Actually, it's even more likely to draw analogies with Paris, because they also "calmly and quietly" executed their victims as well.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but don't alot of those fit the definition of most mass shooters.

Of course. But that doesn't really matter to the media when the guy is a devout Muslim.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Just a reminder that even before this, 57% of Americans and 83% of Republicans said that Muslims should be barred from the presidency. And 30% of Republicans think Islam should be outright banned.

So yeah.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Senf posted:

Yeah, that was pretty heavily reported.

I am not sure if you are facetiously playing at something, because that is definitely not true.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bullfrog posted:

So how do you guys deal with Islamophobic friends, acquaintances (or even worse) family? I feel like we need to start pushing back HARD on people like that, even on the internet.

Honestly I don't think there's much you can do other than have them make Islamic friends. Challenging people traditionally only makes them cling to their opinions harder.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The NAACP has filed suit against Alabama's voter ID law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
CAIR conference is starting, for real now.

• Locked thread