Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kilroy posted:

The idea is that people who think a stock is loving worthless can still participate in the market for it, and it's basically a good idea in theory. The downside of course is that price manipulation becomes a lot easier.

Shorting should be legal IMO, but only in a perfect world where day trading is punishable by death and all investments must be held for a minimum of thirty days before they can be sold again.

There are regulations against day traders short selling but I don't remember what they are beyond needing a certain amount in your account, margin trading can't be under 25%, and regulations say if you do it too often they'll do a margin call on you and ban you from trading for 90 days if you can't deposit enough cash to cover the margin, since the potential losses on a short sale are infinite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Talmonis posted:

I think it's more the sheer audacity of it with this guy. 5000% was the number I think? It's going to be bad if the pharma companies realize they can get away with even more than they already do.

Well he's about to have the Senate take a big ol' dump in his mouth so hopefully that won't happen.

it already works that way

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: When other major pharmaceutical companies are going "Woah now, we're not THAT evil", you've gone too far.

It's because he is a convenient scapegoat and infringing on their territory. Once he is dealt with by the government, the thirst for blood will be sated and your Merck pills will go up another 400% while people blame Obamacare.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

In case there was any doubt left: the county clerk's office said that a clerical error put F instead of M for the shooter's gender.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

foobardog posted:

I assume that, but with the general full court press on voting rights, and the general fickleness of liberal/progressive/leftist minded voters, I don't know. It may be the last hurrah of the Nixonian Right.

What's Congress, Hack-a-Shaq?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The new media message by the way is that Rosa Parks was a god-fearing Republican because she was fighting against racist Democrats.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh dear.

(Yes, it's real.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Is it bad when Google does it?

No, because Google isn't exploiting the image of a dead person for political points.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Just for $$$, which makes it ok, got it.

Did you want the idealist answer or the realistic answer?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/12/christian_author_claims_free_m.html

A Christian conspiracy theorist and author in Alabama showed up to a movie theater in his Porsche 911 with a pistol and demanded money. They hand over the money and then the manager tackles him he sees it's a BB gun and not a pistol. When the cops arrive, he tells them that he did it as part of his Freemason initiation. :psyduck:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I know this was a few pages back, I'm stupid when it comes to stocks. Could you please explain in lay terms what Short Selling is? I looked it up online but everything I found was a little over my head. Basically from what I gathered it was:

Company goes out of business = Stock price goes down
Turing CEO bought 70% of shares of defunct company at $.90 each to make value go up
More people bought the stock after causing price to go up
Turing CEO sells his 70% of shares causing price to plummet
People who bought the stock after him are hosed

Is that pretty much what happened?

• Company says "we're hosed" = stock goes down.
  • Speculators say "oh cool, I can make money!" and short sell it, effectively betting that the stock will continue to go down.
  • When you buy a share of stock, you're the proud owner of that share and you want it to go up. The maximum potential loss is whatever you paid for that share. If you short sell a stock, what you're doing is borrowing shares from a lender and selling them on the market. Later, you would close the order by purchasing the same shares and returning them to the lender. So if the price of the stock goes down, the difference between the price you sold the borrowed shares for and the price you're buying replacement shares at is your profit. This is a bet that the stock price will go down and is a good thing to have around because it provides negative feedback against speculation and bubbles.
  • Turing guy quietly buys shares and can absorb the loss while he gathers an ownership stake. Once he has enough shares, he tells the company "I'm willing to fund your continued operations."
  • The company announces they have a potential investor - the stock price goes up. Everyone who short sold thinking that the company was hosed is now freaking out because the higher the stock price goes, the more money they lose, and they have to act now. This is called a short squeeze. They close their orders by buying more shares, driving the price up further, driving more short sellers to buy more, in a feedback loop.
  • Other investors see this and correctly believe that it is naked manipulation and the spiked price is unsustainable. They short sell the spiked stock expecting it to go back down in a pump-and-dump. Turing guy, having a majority stake, is providing the majority of outstanding shares to the short sellers.
  • When the stock price has risen enough, Turing guy announces on Twitter that he's no longer providing shares for lending. This raises the price of the stock because the supply has suddenly tanked and short sellers can't find shares to buy anymore. Short sellers are once again left hanging and are forced to buy the now ridiculously expensive and scarce shares or face infinite losses.
  • Turing guy runs away with lots of money, everyone who propped up the stock price to make him rich is left holding the bag.

e:fb a bunch

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 2, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think he wants to have an actual discussion and not read the Best of GBS and r/fatpeoplehate

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Also topical: Students at a 95% free lunch Chicago high school are forced to eat Aramark-provided lunch food that's so bad they're boycotting it because it's worse than the food Aramark sells to prisons.

quote:

Rotten pears, burned pizza, and fat-filled chicken patties and burgers. Those are just some of the unappetizing, often unhealthy lunch items being served to teens at Roosevelt High School on Chicago’s Northwest Side—and some of the students have had enough. Starting Wednesday, they plan to boycott the gross cafeteria food, and they have launched a petition demanding that lunch offerings be improved.

The effort, called “The School Lunch Project: Culinary Denial,” was created in November by civics students at the school. They hope to educate the public about the problem with the food they are being served and mobilize the 1,400 students at Roosevelt to stand up for better nutrition.

“I think it’s especially important for young people in Chicago—where we see so much corruption, cronyism, and nepotism—that they learn how to make change within large organizations,” Tim Meegan, a veteran social studies teacher at Roosevelt who supports the student-led effort, told WBEZ on Monday. “This is just one of many diverse tactics that we are trying to teach young people so they are fully equipped to participate as citizens in a democratic society.

The school serves a student body that’s 94 percent minority—predominantly Latino and black—and mostly low-income. A full 95 percent of students are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch—which, given the school-to-prison pipeline, makes one observation the students made about the offerings from food service provider Aramark particularly problematic.

“Today, our lunch at Roosevelt is no better than the ones in Cook County prison. In fact Aramark is the food service provider for both institutions,” wrote the student activists on the project’s website. Chicago Public Schools partnered with Philadelphia-based Aramark two years ago when the district, like several others across the nation, shifted to offering free meals to all students at most campuses.

“Prisons only care about one thing when it comes down to meals—that it has enough nutrients for what the human body needs, it doesn’t matter if it tastes or smells bad. One online review of the prison food shows that prisoners get better food from Aramark than we do. For example they have corn muffins, steamed carrots, green beans, also mac and cheese.”

The teens mainly want appetizing food that meets the disputed healthier standards—less fat and sodium and more healthy fruits and vegetables—set by the National School Lunch Program. In other words, fruits and vegetables that aren’t rotten and main course offerings other than pizza or burgers.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Uh oh

This better not be as bad as it sounds.

Now is not the time to discuss gun violence, we just had a mass shooting for Christ's sake.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm reading reports that there are thirty hostages too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is a good idea and everyone should do this.

How am I supposed to look up the shooter's Facebook if I turn off my internet? :mad:

The only thing that has been confirmed is 20 shot. No confirmation of a death count or number of shooters or anything.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The LA Times quotes federal law enforcement sources: There are between one to three shooters who fled in an SUV and are on the loose. A suspicious device was detonated by a robot. The scene is not secure and they believe there may be another suspect still inside.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Is there an event could happen that would lead to some kind of gun control legislation being implemented (even something relatively minor like mental health screening as part of background checks)?

Literally nothing. Enjoy this garbage poo poo piss gently caress country and its garbage poo poo piss gently caress culture.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Apparently there's a DHS plane circling over the scene now if that means anything. (I don't think it does.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Scanner says witness identified one shooter as a Middle Eastern man with a long beard.

Welp. It's been a good run, guys.

A single witness report doesn't confirm anything.

Erick, son of Erick.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Police are evacuating the nearby Waterman Discount Mall. They believe the suspects have been spotted inside and are setting up a perimeter.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

Oh gently caress off.

He's not wrooooong :unsmigghh:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

RusteJuxx posted:

What could Obama do, even in a legally grey area way, to in someway address gun control? Is there anything he can do via executive order that might help even a little?

It doesn't matter what he does because every red state will say they won't do it and every usual suspect will just call for his impeachment no matter what it is.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The San Bernadino police chief says he doesn't know if this was an act of "traditional terrorism." It could be "domestic terrorism." As we all know, if it's a legitimate form of terrorism, etc etc

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

What gun control legislation are you guys even thinking about? This happened in California, the state with the toughest gun laws. What else would be effective, and more than just a gesture to score points?

Melting all the guns in the country and turning them into sweet cream butter.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That was a different mall shooting with just one guy, I thought.

okay wait a minute this is ridiculous.

There was an armed robbery in Illinois, not a mass shooting. They thought the guy was running toward a hospital so they evacuated it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

sparatuvs posted:

Sam keeps getting away with it.

Where's the Facebooks :f5:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Crisis actors are getting sloppy.

:golfclap:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

CNN's ticker went from "one suspect killed by police" to "Police: one suspect dead" to "Police: one suspect 'down'" in the span of a few minutes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Artificer posted:

So that's two suspects dead, and one in custody?

Maybe we'll finally get a motive for all these lone wolves. Or maybe the reasoning of whitey is just too inscrutable.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DOOP posted:

I've been at work most of the day

what do we actually know so far?

The bugs whacked us, DOOP. We're going to war.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

A Trump presidency just became marginally more likely and Islamophobia is going to reach even higher levels now. Someone please tell me something nice happened somewhere today

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Am I the only calm fucker left here tonight?

I was angry and then I retreated back into the zone of nihilism, the only way to deal with the political reality.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Remember when I said we were going to have pogroms within a decade and you all laughed?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

According to Fox News' "forensic psychiatrist," the shooting was the birth of ISIS in America and also because Benghazi and "the state of feminism in Muslim countries."

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/fox-news-doctor-ties-san-bernardino-shooting-to-the-state-of-feminism-and-benghazi/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Blowdryer posted:

Haven't seen a source on this but
https://twitter.com/ericajanes/status/672397667188744192
'Michael Werner fox news expert: "well, when one of the shooters is a woman, you really have to look at feminism in this country"'

The way I heard it was he was talking about how they don't have feminism in the Middle East so we should always expect wives to obediently follow their husbands into jihad or something

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Aerox posted:

Meanwhile, the ex-wife of the Planned Parenthood shooter has come forward.

He had a history of vandalizing abortion clinics and was a devout Christian.

This will promptly be ignored while everyone continues to scream about Muslims.

http://time.com/4133513/planned-parenthood-shooter-vandalized-clinic/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook

But CNN literally just told me on TV that Christians don't kill people in the name of Christianity.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

All hail God-King Trump I

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Joementum posted:

Though there are 102 Senator, counting the two "Shadow Senators" from Washington, D.C., Michael Brown and Paul Strauss.

And, yes, Shadow Senator is obviously the best job title.

It's actually Shadow President thanks to that Israel gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Technically, aren't there up to 103 voting individuals in the Senate?

The Papal legate hasn't gotten a vote since '63.

• Locked thread