Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Medieval Medic posted:

The whole jewish people being enslaved and forced to build the pyramids has been debunked for quite a while now.

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's quite easy to prevent that loss: keep Israel a Jewish state and denounce anyone who would make millions of Jews stateless refugees, like Hitler and Stalin did in Eastern Europe, as antisemitic in their objective.

When millions of Jews are made stateless, history shows that before Israel, they are killed. After Israel, they have refuge and a nation willing to accept them and allow them to worship freely. BDS would make millions of Jews stateless once more and invite another holocaust in its goals. While BDS is not open in its antisemitism, its goals can result in no other conceivable course.

Who are you imagining is trying to do this? Because this is another one of those straw men you invent whole cloth throughout the thread.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

As constructive and useful a post as ever. Must I really point out the irony in you accusing Israelis of dehumanizing Palestinians?

Are you saying it's untrue or are you saying it's justified because both sides do it?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Whenever Israel kills a 14 year old there are people are falling over themselves to point out that they're totally an adult by Arab standards, yeah

It's funny because it happens here just as much as it happens there. Many Americans like to imagine they are the ones in the jackboots.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

-Troika- posted:

You can turn that around the other way though. Why should Hamas and other Palestinian militants get a free pass on exclusively targeting civilians?

Generally when one side has the majority of power you assign them the majority of responsibility.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

:psyduck: That's insane. You can't say, "hey, if Israel doesn't want their citizens deliberately targeted for murder, maybe they should stop angering people who murder civilians" and expect people to take it as a serious & moral argument. Hamas and the other factions that perpetuate attacks against Israeli civilians have agency too.

That's not at all how it works at all. Winning a war doesn't make the winning side morally responsible for the other side's war crimes.

This isn't remotely a war. It's not so much a fight as a man killing a caged opponent with a knife. Slowly. For fun.

It's a cop kicking a man in the face as punishment for moving while another cop pokes him all over with a pin.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 5, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Must I really point out the irony of using the metaphor of stabbing someone to death with a knife given recent events in the region?

It doesn't matter.

Waa the caged man bit me, hit him again!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

really awful metaphor

Sorry, it's hard to write a really good person on person analogy for apartheid.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

XMNN posted:

hi insect boy do you acknowledge that the idf has committed war crimes eg during their recent mowing the grass campaigns yes or no
Stop being an anti-semite.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

That said, splitting down the middle on the 'is it ok to murder innocent people' question does not speak highly of the ability of the anti-Zionist posters to empathize with with both Palestinians and Israelis. The response to that question should not be another question asking what tribe the victims/perpetrators belong to.

Do you perceive any middleground between "zionist" and "anti-zionist"? Why should any gentile be Zionist?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

I agree that these are the sort of things that an anti-semite would believe. Little surprised by your agreement on that, however.

Well yeah but you think everything is anti-Semitic so you don't really count.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Israelis are a bunch bloodthirsty monsters gleefully slaughtering Palestinian innocents

Well, not ALL Israelis.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

If North Carolina says you need a driver's license to vote, is the law having a disparate impact on minorities?

If Ted Cruz says cut entitlements like TANF and S-CHIP, is the proposal having a disparate impact on minorities?

If the answer is yes, then by the same reasoning any proposal directed at Israel, regardless of merit or lack thereof, has a disparate impact on Jews.

This is absolute bullshit. For one thing disparate impact in itself isn't necessarily illegal or wrong and there are defenses against it.

The defense in this case would be that Israel is an apartheid state committing genocide.

It's bullshit for like 8 other reasons but gently caress you and your garbage think.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 28, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Maoist Pussy posted:

Counterpoint: the predominantly Islamic region of the Middle East should be returned to the Arabian peninsula from whence it came.

If those civilians wanted to live they shouldn't have been born there!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Maoist Pussy posted:

Alternatively, when someone uses a word that implies mass murder to actually describe 'resettling landless people', you can assume he is being disingenuous. Also when he uses an insult implying racial hatred to anyone who disagrees with him.

Landless? I'm pretty sure, despite the best efforts of Israel, they still have land.

this is the thread where we pretend other people meant things we know they didn't right?

I'm pretty sure if you went back far enough you could find TIC saying that denying Israel's right to exist is anti-semitic. Which means there are only zionists and anti-semites and nothing in between.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 29, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Or if you want an actually good suggestion read 'Righteous Victims' by Benny Morris instead of anything by Khalidi.

This guy is hilarious. Jews have been victimized in the past therefore anything terrible they do now is justified because in the long historical run jews will have been treated worse.

gently caress Benny Morris.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Is it possible this is as stupid as it appears to be? Do you understand that the title of the book is not an endorsement of the idea that Jews were simply 'righteous victims' in 1947? Your posts have all been useless one-liners which indicate a more than usually complete ignorance of the subject, so I worry it is.

I wasn't responding to the title sorry, but to this:

"A people that suffered for 2,000 years, that went through the Holocaust, arrives at its patrimony but is thrust into a renewed round of bloodshed, that is perhaps the road to annihilation. In terms of cosmic justice, that's terrible. It's far more shocking than what happened in 1948 to a small part of the Arab nation that was then in Palestine...We are the greater victims in the course of history and we are also the greater potential victim. Even though we are oppressing the Palestinians, we are the weaker side here. We are a small minority in a large sea of hostile Arabs who want to eliminate us. So it's possible than [sic] when their desire is realized, everyone will understand what I am saying to you now. Everyone will understand we are the true victims. But by then it will be too late."

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 1, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

team overhead smash posted:

He's not presenting his own views, he's criticising the views of hakimashou who is literally supporting the ethnic cleansing and war crimes comitted by Jewish Israelis on Arab palestinians by rewording hakimashou's viewpoint to make it clear how awful the stuff hakimashou is saying is.

Of course rather than do something to actually defend against racism and anti-semitism when hakimashou literally approves and supports ethnic cleansing of arabs, you instead jump on an imaginary issue that only exists in your head because you think someone said something mean about Jews.

You've got messed up priorities which show how racist and hateful you are.

It's a pure ad hom. "No one listen to him, he's ANTI-SEMITIC."

It's a distraction because he can't just outright admit that he doesn't regard Palestinians as human beings.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nosfereefer posted:

My question still stands, TIC. Do you really think anti-Semitism is a joking matter?

I doubt he cares. It's just a convenient cudgel. He's not actually concerned about the plight of Jews the world over, just defending Israels actions no matter what.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

It's always grimly amusing to watch how a certain variety of anti-Zionist poster comes to imitate :freep:, almost word for word. "Those lie-berals don't really care about the ghetto thugs, it's just a way for them to play the race card"

Except he's not making a blanket statement about people of other ideologies, his criticisms are very much directed at you in particular and what he's saying is supported by your entire posting history.

Also you seem have reversed my position, which is why you may be confused. I'm not saying you love to play the anti-semite card, though you clearly do that's not really the goal. I'm saying you are so desperate to defend the indefensible that all you can do is try to accuse your opponents of something worse, because it's easiest for you to dismiss all of their positions as coming from anti-semitism than to admit that Israel is doing really lovely and hosed up things while holding all the actual power. But that just diminishes real anti-semitism as it exists in the world.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 2, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

So what's the defense on this one gonna be, I can only wonder with bated breath.

"You only care Israel is doing it because they are Jews. Where is your concern for a free press in the rest of the world? FREEST PRESS IN THE MIDDLE EAST! BLOOD LIBEL!"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Or you could spend two seconds on Google and learn that it's a commonly used term.

It's commonly used but you aren't really using it well. Disparate impact only matters in certain situations and BDS isn't one of them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Oh see but he didn't equate it. A statement of support for BDS is now a denial of the existence of anti-semitism. It's not even you are an anti-semite, because you know you are not, it's to make you feel like arguing against him might make you complicit. It's a direct overture towards liberal guilt.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

I don't think I have to point out the fatuousness of suggesting that anything short of explicitly claiming that Jews as a group steal the organs of non-Jews can't be antisemitic. It's just as ridiculous as implying that the Willie Horton ad wasn't racist, because it didn't claim that all black men want to rape all white women.

The gently caress are you talking about? You have yet to establish that ANYONE said anything about organ stealing, other than the post about the guy who actually did.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Do you really not see how even if you begin with what is a factual occurrence, by contextualizing and presenting it in a way that is reminiscent of what are unquestionably antisemitic slurs even if you don't literally reiterate the same slur?

Strawman. Also incomplete sentence.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kajeesus posted:

A lot of SA posters avoid this thread because it is considered a hotbed of anti-Semitism,

Source?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

The only thing I can think of is that they consider military violence more justifiable solely because the military (in this case the IDF) attempts to make excuses for its violence, whereas terrorists just flat out say "yeah we wanted to kill civilians." Like, it's somehow better for the IDF to kill orders of magnitude more civilians as long as they claim it wasn't their primary goal.

I think it's more about this perception that terrorists are responsible for all the people who die when we bomb them. Much like the various civilian casualties the US military will continue to cause the world over for decades to come.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

hakimashou posted:

It's not just military violence. Many people believe that imprisoning somone who is convicted of a crime is not the same as kidnapping, that a fine imposed by a court is not extortion or robbery, or that the death penalty is not murder.

That's a pretty loving gross mischaracterization of what people are saying and completely ignores the complicated reality of the I/P situation. But you probably already knew that going in.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think Israel should separate their church and their state. Is that the same thing?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Slanderer posted:

This is literally genocide, actually

I support testing this theory by experimentation.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can't read these. Which is shopped/how?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Where in this thread have Cuomo's problems with corruption probes been mentioned? They hadn't been until you brought them up in that post.

Dead Reckoning claimed that Cuomo could conceivably be in violation of federal anti-boycott laws. Crowsbeak imagined that it could lead to Cuomo's arrest.

Wanting a politician to held accountable for corruption is unobjectionable. But that's not what the discussion was about. It was about the anti-BDS executive order Cuomo signed. Hoping that Cuomo winds up behind bars because he signed that is objectionable.

Maybe other people in the thread know things about Cuomo based on information they already had that you did not.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

This all is kind of proving his point guy. That wasn't what he said at all.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Edit- Nevermind. I missed the part about your wacky BDS belief and got confused.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

What do you think happens if millions of refugees come from Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan? Even if they merely demand that every 1948 property deed be honored (and note the anti-Zionists who throw a fit every time there's an eviction in Silwan using the same logic), that means the majority of Israelis would be expelled. There's no possible outcome for Barghouti's demands being implemented other than mass ethnic cleansing. By asking for impossible concessions and radicalizing the Israeli right, BDS has therefore done serious harm to the actual peace movement. How exactly is Israel supposed to interpret a demand to cease to exist?

Do you think Barghouti has autocratic leadership over BDS, and because he has stated a demand that is the only point at which people will stop supporting BDS? Because that's not how it works in reality.

Edit- I meant to edit the above. Woopsie.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Due to it being a presumption that it is fabricated and that being how the English language works.

Israeli rabbis do stand up for and promote ethnic cleansing.

Israel has been ethnically cleansing the Palestinians for decades.

Therefore believing and questioning a news report that says Israelis rabbis are promoting ethnic cleansing is not some crazy out there conspiracy like "MUSLIM OBAMA WANTS SECRET ISIS SLEEPER AGENT IMMIGRANTS TO RAPE YOUR WOMEN" but rather just a sad example of how if the story had been true, it would have just been one more example of human rights abuses against the Palestinians.

More importantly, on the scale of things ethnic cleansing related someone believing a story for a few days and then realising it is wrong and retracting their statement about it (which is what Abbas did) is about a million times less important than the fact that Israel is committing ethnic cleansing or the fact that Rabbis are literally promoting ethnic cleansing.

The Holocaust having happened makes any perceived Anti-Semitism worse than any other thing that is actually happening, sorry.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

Admittedly not the thread for it, but as far as I've seen the probes into the "He was actually gay/conflicted sexuality" stuff kept turning up as actual misinformation from idiots. I mean I mighta missed something more recent, but the first good few all turned out to be bullshit and I've since kind of stopped looking that way. Not to say that ladies stupid implication is right though obviously.

Source? I've only heard things reinforcing that idea.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Parts Kit posted:

You guys kind of conveniently ignore the whole "drive Israel into the sea" thing, huh?

NLJP posted:

I'm pretty sure the argument usually then goes 'ah ha! But they would if they could so we must always prevent them any means of doing so'. This of course means grinding even the idea of cooperation with and support of a truly functioning Palestinian state into the dust. It also means that if someone holds that idea in their head there is essentially no arguing with them because in this kind of sick realpolitik, emiseration and slow, grinding ethnic cleansing of the Palestinians is the only possible logical step.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

YodaTFK posted:

For some reason palestinian racism gets filed away under a pile of continuously expanding settlements and punitive military expeditions that bomb water treatment plants. Weird.

We shouldn't have freed the slaves because if interviewed you probably would find that most of them didn't like white people very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Parts Kit posted:

Recognize that the problem is rooted in both sides and combat it instead of going "this side bad, other side justified" ? Because the reality is this poo poo isn't going to stop until both sides decide to put down their hate.

:lol: you guys are really hosed up in the head if you think these things.

You're using rhetoric from a half century old war to justify modern isreali war crimes and don't understand analogies.

This 'both sides' stuff has been repeatedly shown to be a lovely excuse to keep the status quo of gradual genocide of the Palestinian people by Israel going.