Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I feel like this is what GGG wants you to be doing anyways, the game is leaning closer and closer to being like this.

Yeah, they've done a pretty good job of making a shitton of different builds at least map-viable, even if not optimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ice Nova was already pretty good, tempting to run it again but I've already done two Ice Nova dudes recently in 1mo leagues. On the other hand, the EK, spark, arc & ball lightning buffs are also intriguing. I think I still wanna start a chaos caster with the new poo poo though. Also lightning strike could be good again?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I haven't had time to theory craft for poo poo or even look at most of the new info closely. Are there any decent-looking chaos caster trees yet? I really can't decide what I want to do off the bat. Chaos caster, light arrow, crit ice/shock nova, summoner or poison arrow again?

Ideally something relatively gear independent that can stack iir & iiq down the road. Also I'm stuck at work all day today :negative:

Edit: also tempted by ele ST with the leech changes, gotta use that seraph mtx.

Cyclone coc plus the new blade skill sounds interesting too, but I think I'll save that for a second char.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Alrighty I'll take a look when I get home tonight. Yeah I was trying to see what nugi, raiz etc were theory crafting for this league but they were all offline when I was looking around last night

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Yep, in the HC league. I was mass clearing out pages of skill gems that I probably never needed and I think I sold them I can only find one now, and the cheapest they are is 2ex.

Haha goddamn perma leagues. I have probably 6 tabs of unsorted red gems from back when, I bet I've got at least 20 IIQ gems

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Ouch, 28 mana for contagion @ level 20. Essence Drain is 26. Might have to get some more mana nodes.

e - servers are getting hammered. I can't even get the webpage to load.

I got home from work early. Yes, webpage does not work. I can't decide what I want to play :(

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Started a new character in the new HC league after not having played for a year, got to act 4, and ran into an unique boss called "The Burning Man".

Time to reroll!

Right after that area was added, Nugi made a habit of trolling people he was playing with, telling them it was like dominus's rain and you had to stand in the glowing circle to avoid it. At least several people fell for it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

someone was asking about ED/Cont, so here's my current planned tree: http://poeurl.com/t9l

links in no particular order are:
cont - iaoe - inc dur - fast cast
ed - rapid decay - void manip - controlled destr - some choice of fast proj, slow proj, empower (currently IIR)
wither - spell totem - iaoe - optional inc. dur
blasphemy - vuln - temp chains - AA/clarity if needed

Your choice of golem, CWDT link and movement skill. I've been swapping between flame dash and light warp, currently running chaos golem over fire.
I've got enough mana regen from gear & tree now that clarity isn't really needed, so I dropped that and took the aura cluster to fit AA. Currently I get enough life regen from ED that with judicious pot use I'm fine sustaining.
Only unique is winds of change.

edit: also sniper and potency of will are considerations for QoL. More jewel slots could be good if you have good rare jewels (I have zero).

Hauki fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 13, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

How are you finding contagion spreading with no AoE nodes? I took them, and I'm wondering if I should respec out of them for more spell/chaos/projectile damage.
It seems to spread fine still. I took both the witch and templar clusters initially and respecced out once I had leveled my IAoE gem, and while it's a bit smaller, it still cascades pretty quickly. I think it's mostly a quality of life thing again. I find that by pumping dmg as much as I can on ED, it makes single target way better and still demolishes packs solo. Really the aoe is only for spreading contagion, and I'd rather just cast it a second time than waste skill points. FWIW I've got a net of 35% faster cast on my 2 wands plus the fast cast gem link on contagion currently.

All in all I'm much happier with it today than I was last night. Projectile speed from winds of change helps a lot, and I'm debating picking up Sniper as well.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

I never took advantage of the post-2.0 eldritch battery/mind over matter/zealot's oath mechanics, but how do you build around it these days?

Do you effectively use it to reserve ~100% of your mana these days, and use a combination of ES gear, eldritch battery, and zealot's oath to sustain your energy shield (which acts as both your mana source and extended health). In that case, what do you typically use to sustain your life? Potions or life gained on hit?

EB/MoM/ZO might be really strong with essence drain, because it lets you split your sustain. Your essence drain goes into your life, and your life regen goes into your energy shield, which lets you sustain both pools at once.

I'm thinking to reserve my mana with blasphemy-vulnerability, temporal chains, and arctic armour.

Real quick, ED doesn't sustain life with ZO specced. They changed it to regen prelaunch instead of whatever it was termed previously. That's part of the reason I specced back out of it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Ugh, the wording is "Regenerate 0.50% of Debuff Damage as Life", which goes into the same recovery pool as if you have or don't have Zealot's Oath. I see now. No split pool sustaining here.

Now I'm considering reserving with Temp Chains, Arctic Armour and Clarity, and manual-casting Vulnerability

I was 100% serious earlier when I said I'm sustaining mana without clarity. I ran it up until 66-68 and then swapped to AA. My mana regen is about 80/s without clarity and with as little as you have to actually cast with this build, that's plenty. I was keeping a hybrid pot on for a while just in case, but I virtually never use it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

when I said blasphemy would change the meta I wasn't thinking about stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8OrZuyktUY

(I guess the Animated Guardian with the Dying Breath is the bottleneck here)

haha holy poo poo this is amazing

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jaknuts posted:

Regarding your IIR in ED. How can you be sure that the tick that kills the mob is essence drain and not contagion?

Obviously ED does significantly more damage, but is it fair to say contagion may be killing off a number of mobs as well? Have you noticed a benefit from the IIR? I realize you'll probably switch it out for an empower eventually, just curious.

I get a lot more rares than I would ordinarily. My contagion ticks for a tiny fraction of the ED damage, like 1/20th or less. :shrug:

And yeah, I'm leveling an empower but its only like 7% qual plus 4% from a haku 1her, so it's taking forever.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mince Pieface posted:

Speaking of Neversink's filter, it seems to hide Tier 1 white talismans. Is there a better filter that will show them, or should I really not be picking them up?

it only occasionally does this and I can't figure out why, but I also haven't bothered to look at the filter personally yet

I think maybe only if it's a significantly lower ilvl than the zone you're in?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Echo doesn't work on totems.

edit: but it works on posts

Hauki fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 15, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

theshim posted:

...I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Is there anything you can't give a talisman to?

I've had several specific exiles absolutely ignore talismans for minutes at a time as I kited around it which is really annoying because of the challenge. Other than that, anything seems to pick them given enough opportunity.

Also RIP rodent.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mystery Prize posted:

Some guy figured out that the threshold jewel for Barrage doesn't just add hits to the barrage itself, but also to any projectile that chains off of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCArJWWnZ6A

also hilarious

who needs more than 4k es when you can just 1 shot everything in like a 60 degree arc

Hauki
May 11, 2010

If you posted above and didn't get an invite to goon guild it's because you're in another guild already

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hamburger Test posted:

You're all glossing over the most important change:

Nope that was the first change I copy pasted into chat or wherever. Immediately followed by the item tier being in the text description.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Katasi posted:

Nah, it's because I already invited them.

There were a couple that had been skipped over so I just went back through them all for the last couple pages to doublecheck.
It was just a way of saying if you got skipped, try again.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Picer posted:

gently caress nugi

What in gently caress is this

And it's got an open affix?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cinara posted:

Holidays are killing me this league. I managed to gather everything for low life Vaal Spark including a 5link Shav's a week ago and my Vaal Spark character is still level 32.

Yeah I was out of town for five days and now I've got all sorts of poo poo to do over the next few days. RIP.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Zo posted:

This is basically my first time playing PoE and I'm up to low tier mapping on HC tali. I was wondering, with my resists capped, is there a point in having extra resists past the cap? Just doing a normal fire totem build.

I ask because I've been using this ring I found:

and it seems to be worth more than the rest of my gear combined, several times over. So if I don't need all them resists I might as well sell that and upgrade everything else.

That sure is a ring. There are both curses and map mods that can reduce resistances, so that's one reason to overcap. Something like that ring can also give you a ton of leeway in your other gear though, allowing you to fit an extra unique in or using a rare that's otherwise great but maybe a bit light on resists for its slot.

I dunno, personally I'd almost definitely keep it, it's probably irreplaceable in a temp league, but I guess it depends on the state of the rest of your gear and what your currency situation is.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dirt posted:

http://www.pathofexile.com/shop/present

They are giving out free winter mystery boxes for christmas fyi

Server seems to be going up and down, took a few tries but I got mine.

got my free snow, reinforced my decision to never, ever buy a mystery pack under any circumstances

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I bought 10 chests earlier, and got the Arctic skull, arctic gloves, and arctic weapon effect, as well as a bunch of spell effects, so YMMV.

And then there's the dude who spent like $15000 on them and still didn't get all of what he was looking for.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

vOv posted:

I have like 15, I honestly have no clue how people make do with 4.

I have like 26? now, and while I used them all at one point I've gotten much better about not hoarding stuff of dubious value in temp leagues, so now I'm down to using like, 9-12 in a 3 month. I really need to set auto buyouts on tabs again this league so I can make better use of what I have and spend less time sorting and pricing poo poo.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bakka bakka posted:

The Goddess Unleashed is so unfortunate. It had a lot of interactions but the designer decided that those didn't fit his idea for the item and now it doesn't look very good at all.

Instead he made several mediocre leveling items with weird restrictions, requiring a bizarre and (for its limited use) expensive recipe including a preposterously rare unique to start the whole thing off. Is it still in the same drop frequency as like, shav's or whatever? I've had three of the fuckers to my 0 lifetime shav's.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ekster posted:

There are plenty of map bosses, especially in high tiers, that do absurd spike damage. You deal with them by taking the appropriate resistance flask, hitting them offscreen or just skipping them altogether.

I personally wish map bosses were balanced more evenly instead of having 4 easy map bosses in a particular tier and 2 ridiculously tough ones most builds skip.

Yeah, I'm with you there. My most successful endgame characters have always been ones that can offscreen or dump dps while kiting/dodging at the edge of the screen, because I don't like skipping bosses and I'll still run them knowing its not actually worth the time or the risk.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Katasi posted:

I mean, if you're doing Dried Lake till 78, that's definitely going to be boring. Go do some maps, they're super fun!

tbh I'm burning out on my LA voltaxic because its serious glass cannon and while I can do atziri deathless on autopilot because it's the exact same every time, I'm struggling on high tier maps because weird coincidences/sequences of events or mods leave you dead in 0.02 seconds if you're not playing bullet-hell the entire time

Hauki
May 11, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It's a lot more fun to play this game when you pick a build that isn't poo poo and roll up a good character instead of just picking stuff at random based on some stupid idea you had at 2AM.

My only beef is that the trading sucks. It sucks so bad. I've got a few characters at around 50 right now and I'm starting to hit some gear walls. I've started to trade, and it's just the worst. It feels like I'm browsing the want-ads in a newspaper and playing phone tag with strangers. I just want to trade my stuff for someone else's stuff. :(

The first box I check on every single poe.tr search I do is "online only" unless it's like a one of a kind item. Even then it's this awful fruitless roulette of unanswered PMs, people who are in fact offline, and my personal favorite, dude who pretends he's already sold the item and promptly relists it for 2-4 times his previous listed buyout.

Recently I was trying to get a particular jewel with an odd combo of stats, somewhat well-known dude had what I needed with a b/o of 3 chaos. I PM him, he doesn't reply, but I can see him zoning around between hideouts, towns etc, so I try again. Still doesn't reply. I try again. Now he claims he's in a map, despite whois telling me he's in Sarn. I say alright, whatever, hit me up if you want to sell. Forty minutes later he replies with "sry alrdy sold", then not a minute later, relists it for 30c. Luckily I'd found a virtually identical jewel during his horseshit and paid 2c. I just don't understand poo poo like this at all, and yet it happens constantly.

Word is HC is better for this because items and characters are constantly leaving the league, so there's more incentive to continue trading past the first few days into the league.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Are Wings of Entropy still any good? I tend to dink around on whatever variation of my dumbass summoner build I want to make first and then start doing even stupider builds later but these dropped as I was screwing around solo and now I'm curious.

They're still fine, but the combination of nerfs to their inherent block, Bringer of Rain and block on the tree made the build that used them significantly worse than other options.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gerdalti posted:

Can anyone recommend a simple, no/few uniques required build that focuses on high survivability and melee/close aoe?

Edit: I do have a few higher level uniques, but I'm not sure they really enable any fun builds.
Daresso's Defiance
Cloak of Defiance
The Covenant

Cyclone. Daresso is a pretty good chest for its price, and is the only one of those you'd consider using with a melee build really. You'd ultimately want to link it though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Beasteh posted:

I'm midway through act 4 Merciless on my first character, an Arc witch. Level 68. What should I be doing? I have barely any idea what half of this poo poo in my inventory does/is worth.

You should stop as soon as you get your skill point quest done in A4 and then start some combination of dried lakes or maps or whatever floats your boat.

Tbh most of what's in your inventory probably isn't worth much - take a look at an arc guide and see how they gear their dudes, but the basic gist is you'll want to max your resists in merc (75%, or 135% total res), then fit in as much life and damage on gear as you can afford.

If you don't have many maps, ask in guild chat, most of us are drowning in tier 1s etc. Low level mapping isn't terribly difficult, though it's always good to be wary of map bosses anyway. It's too much info to go into detail here, but maps can be rolled or crafted like any other item, for the moment you'll probably just want to transmute, and maybe augment or alt it until you get a prefix and a suffix you can reasonably run. Most of the map mods do exactly what they say in the description - if you're unsure, again just ask in gchat.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hamburger Test posted:

First thing to do after you socket your first skill gem on a new character.

Nope it's literally the first thing I do on any new char

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Xequecal posted:

Here's a build I wanted to run by you guys, after getting my first HC character killed due to the fact that I had no idea that the Act 2 boss could one-shot you from full HP even with a granite flask on

Don't stand in poo poo, especially when it's massively telegraphed.

It doesn't matter how much life you stack, if you're going to ignore boss mechanics you're eventually going to die to something that was probably totally avoidable.

I'm at work, so I can't actually look over your tree.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I hope you keep that white belt as a souvenir

Hauki
May 11, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

It's a hardcore race, and the last race of this "type" (not exactly the same ruleset admittedly) only 13 people actually completed it.

Uh, what do you mean by 'type'? If you neglect the winterheart thing, shittons of people complete the boss kill races. If I can fit it into my work schedule I'll definitely give this one a go, I'd like an alt art Whispering Ice, but I'm too burnt out on poe to race regularly this season.

edit: it's too bad it starts at like four in the loving morning on a weekday, I'll miss like the first 12-16 hours of it due to work and/or sleeping like a normal person.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 4, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I got like halfway through the race before realising I just do not give two shits about the rewards and wondered why I wasted all that time

Hauki
May 11, 2010

loving lord, i log in to try and hammer out my last few challenges, 6 link a voll chest in 3 fuse while loving around.

still no closer to the challenges i need though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Any goons have a spare t13 on sc tali? The only twinned I'm still missing, happy to roll it up & run it myself or whatever.
Trying to use poe.tr at this point is an exercise in futility.

• Locked thread