Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Just got back into this. I used Night's Hold with Flame Totem socketed for leveling, was beyond level 30 before Bladefall got ahead of it in DPS.

Can I get a clan invite for "Jawnza"? My status message is something about killing santa, so maybe ~8 purges ago?

RossCo posted:

I'm approaching the point where I'm willing to go into the hyper intimidating trading system, and there is one point re: uniques that I am curious on:

Am I best buying, say, a Deaths Harp with one socket for 1 chaos and then rolling for better links and colours? Or should I wait and pay more for a better rolled unique with say 4 links straight off the bat?
Trading's really not that bad. Up right now I can see a 4l going for 1c, and a few others around 4c. 4l is doable as a mere mortal, but I wouldn't try it with ~3c worth of jewelers/fusings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Burno posted:

Vorici 4 socket is 10 jewelers and 4 link is 5 fusings.

About 3c to do it.
I haven't played in a really long time and have no idea what 'vorici' means, assuming it's one of those guys who keeps bugging me to do fetch quests and there are now guaranteed recipes instead of currency roulette? Neat!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I sold my first high price item! Divination Distillate, went for 1 ex -15c. Perfect IIR, lowest IIQ. I haven't had more than 10c liquid. Now I have an exalted and need to trade it for chaos.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ultima66 posted:

First screenshot I found of a tooltip just looking at witch section on official forums:

~200 mana per second used (25 base mana cost on his Bladefall).
I'm not following, if it's 103 mana and 0.26s cast time (3.8cast/sec), shouldn't it be closer to ~400? Or is spell echo making that math less than straightforward?

I have a bladefall witch at level 69 following some guide. I'm around 90 mana/s in the character sheet, it's not enough without leeching from blasphemy warlord's mark.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

soscannonballs posted:

You just have to suck it up and drop some currency on gear with high ES. I see you are using Lightning Coil so you are really going to have to push ES with your shield/helm/gloves.

Is ES significantly more expensive than the other defensive options? I have a 78 Bladefall witch with 3.6k ES. I'm getting into the 20c per upgrade range and it looks like filtering on ES just explodes the price.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ekster posted:

If you want top end ES gear it's going to cost you a lot, but if you go for decent ES it isn't too bad in my experience.
I never know how to read something like this. Is "top end" when you stop looking at buyout-only or merely in the ~10ex range? Is "decent" the stuff I'm buying at 10's of chaos or is that what you'd call "entry" or "scrub" or something? I'm comfortably tanky up through t7, haven't really hit the wall though.

And I was, inelegantly, trying to ask if I switch over to a build that relies on evasion or armor if the same actual tankiness for the same cost? As in other games had defensive stats that involved massively different calculations so certain classes or defensive schemes weren't really able to hit the same total EHP.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've been slowly leveling a Marauder/Berzerker, just hit 60. I was using Sunder to level, trying to make the switch over to Cyclone now.

I think I'm doing something wrong tactically because Cyclone's duty cycle is a fraction of Sunder. Maybe I'm just lazy and want the simplicity of holding a button that auto-targets bosses, but Cyclone spends a lot of time spinning off where the enemy isn't. Am I supposed to be spamming clicks instead of holding the button and waggling the mouse?

Also, bumped a couple tabs up to premium, trading is amazing now. My price model is still a couple leagues old, like i thought alch:chaos was 2:1 instead of 4:1.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Real Foogla posted:

you need to target closer to yourself, in the direction you want to go (this btw shortens the cycle but keeps up the attacks per second, i.e. ups dps and mana consumption, this is also the reason increased movespeed increases cyclone dps)

basically cyclone checks where you click and goes there no matter what, that's why you overshoot single targets
Thanks, this helped a lot!

Got up to 64, through to the dried lake. Now I need to shuffle everything around, drop the blood magic passives for the gem, replace every slot, etc, etc,

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
One of the weekend patches claimed to fix the un-openable chest problem. I haven't seen it in the past few nights.

I have a T5ish capable Cyclone Marauder/Berzerker here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/JawnV/characters

Not sure where to go. It's fine for zoning out and chewing through Lake runs, but whenever I'm partied with folks it feels like my clear speed is just dragging the group down. Survivability's decent, damage is ok when I can actually get to an enemy. My next few passives are going to the Life cluster near Scion. Any advice?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cinara posted:

Try Earthquake. 2h RT Cyclone isn't as hot anymore, Earthquake can use the same everything you're doing right now but should work out to a lot more damage. You essentially have 1 damage gem linked to your Cyclone in your "5link", with Inc AoE, Fortify and Blood Magic, Melee Phys is the only one directly adding damage. Cyclone with it's high mana cost forces you into running Blood Magic as a link.
Thanks! I've been leveling a EQ gem but didn't really understand where it would fit in. With the Enlighten boosted & hatred/HoA/HoI auras, I'm just able to squeeze Leap Slam on mana once a second or so. Quickest EQ would be swapping in EQ for Melee Phys and Faster Attacks for Cyclone, I'll give that a shot.

I was following this guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1302337 . Is there a recommended thread for EQ builds?

Cinara posted:

Earthquake, especially if you can 5link that Marohi, will allow more damage links and you might even try dropping Fortify and just using it on a leap slam link. EQ can be more of a ranged skill so it's a bit safer.
I'm not rolling in orbs, but getting closer to the 150 fusings for a guaranteed 5l. Is that the way to go or is it worth actually using currency?

One last question, and it's probably my costliest mistake: Does anyone take the Savage Hit & leech nodes in Berzerker or is the 40% damage/10% damage taken the only correct choice?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

bakka bakka posted:

You should not be using Cyclone with a Marohi Erqi. Movement and attack speed are large parts of its DPS, Marohi fucks both of them. If you're going to stick with Cyclone, use Hezmana's bloodlust. Your gear is in desperate need of an upgrade. Your belt, left ring, amulet, and armor are hot garbage. 30 chaos should be enough to get some basic mapping gear. I'd also suggest dropping some of those jewel sockets for damage nodes that are much more efficient.

Thanks! Love advice like this. Replaced the belt, got a Hezmana that I managed to 5l for a couple chaos, and my tooltip DPS is up to 27k from 15k. Earthquake was fun to mess around with, but cyclone's just so easy to zone out with.

It's weird, earlier characters always had something more obviously wrong earlier. This one made it to capped resists, maps-ish dps, and decent mitigation. I was sailing through T1~3, higher ones were just a slog. I still have Too Much currency and Hot Garbage in a couple slots, but a much better idea of where to go. Cheers!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm replacing a ring & amulet and only "need" to get 7% cold resist between them. Are there any good uniques for a 2h Cyclone build for those slots? I was thinking that Essence Worm would let me squeeze another 25% aura. Otherwise, what else should I look for besides Life, Chaos%, WED%?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Holyshoot posted:

And Cyclone tool tip dps is misleading like most tool tip dps in this game. But yes 6k does seem low.

How so? I have a 5l Hezmana Cyclone setup that shows up as 35k, and a 4l Marohi with Earthquake that barely trips 10k. I'm sorta using EQ for clearing trash & cyclone for single-target, but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Manyorcas posted:

So in my slow, steady playing I've finally reached maps :toot: Every map so far I've found has been tier 1 though, and after a test run or two I'm still not finding anything higher. Should I just keep running tier 1 maps until I find better ones, stick with Dried Lake for a bit, or just trade for a decent few maps to skip a few rungs on the ladder (assuming high tier maps in turn drop more high tier maps).

How are you rolling them? For t1, you should be transmuting then rolling Alts until it's +30% quality with mods you can handle. If you're feeling cheeky and/or flush with currency, alching lower tiers can get you quality in the 50-70% range and boost your pool. Although most folks recommend saving alchs for T9 or higher.

To get an unid Museum, can I sell 5 id'd alch'd ones? This is part of my 'too many low maps' problem, so perhaps I should be looking up chisel recipes instead.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cinara posted:

I would never waste alts rerolling T1 maps unless you want to run a specific map for a divination card or something. I transmute, aug and only ever alt if it rolls whichever reflect mod my build can't do. Up to T7 or so you will have zero issues sustaining map drops like that, I start doing Alch and go around T8.
Sure, you wouldn't. When advising someone who has literally 0 T2 maps, discussing the break point between T6 and T9 at which a perfectly price-aware player would be justified in spending 1/13th of a chaos orb on a reroll didn't seem pertinent and the 30% guideline that'll hold through t5 seemed easier to bring up.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

baram. posted:

but you're nez

Path of Exile is, if nothing else, a username-generation game.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
All the noise around Atlas brought me back. Got a currency tab on sale, started a junk character on Prophecy, probably won't make it past cruel by the end of the month. Do the new leagues drop on September 2nd or is there a delay?

Also, can I get an invite to the guild? IGN: Jawhecy

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

TheRat posted:

Invite sent
Thanks! Will be on much later tonight to join up and beg for a Goldrim.

whypick1 posted:

Can you only play for 15 minutes at a time if you can't make it to Cruel in 2 weeks?
I'll never understand the sheer condescension in any discussion around this game. Cruel is a slog and idk if I'll want to read through a guide this late in a league, can't I just bash through the ledge in peace?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Yeah, I'm excited for the next league and will probably get to the point where my opinions on maps are mocked instead of midgame. I'm not going to push it for this league and suspect I'll hit the wall in cruel and just let the duelist die on the vine there. I got to see the currency tab without witnessing the awful mess my Standard stash must be in, so prophecy's been great.

My original question is still unanswered despite the fonts of knowledge eager to delve into my time preferences, was it too stupid to deign to answer?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Glad I burned a stupid Duelist pre-season, probably just going to do a shadow bladefall trapper from this guide (tree here). Never made a trapper before, should be fun.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've got a bladefall trapper at 60, pretty sure I'm going evasion/life. My tree (link) is right between the guide I'm following and the CI guide I gather is the one most folks follow, but the next ~10 points are committing to EV/life hard ground under scion to hit the life cluster.

I've never been able to afford CI the few times I've had an appropriate build, when can I expect EV/life to crap out? Mid-maps?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I had a nice lucky streak. Found a blue evasion 5l for 1c listed for 2 minutes, scoured it, used the best +life essence I had and it rolled +life, +eva/%eva, +80 res total.

It helped a little on dps, but Deerstalker was giving me a fake-5L for bladefall traps. Now I need new boots or some bonus trap skill.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Vaal cyclone will pull monkeys out of trees, the animation isn't there and they just float down in a standing pose.

Vasudus posted:

Depending on your build, you can pull up to 250m XP/hour and go from 65-ish to 75-ish in like two hours.
The highest I've ever seen in-game was 90m/h :saddowns:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol I wouldn't know if something is worth selling. I'm tired of picking up most rares I see too.
I've been doing the unid'd one (full set of unidentified rares for 2c) because it quickly devolves into "get 2 rings and an amulet" and requires zero thought. No pricing, no looking at affixes, just have a stash tab with armor waiting for the 3 jewelry slots to drop. The hardest part is the faith that every drop is <2c, which a few ID's will quickly reassure.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

StashAugustine posted:

You can also do the 1c recipe by picking up white jewelry and tossing useless essences on them. I do sometimes but :effort:
While I was leveling I saw groups with someone trolling for "any 12 essences for 1c" and figured they were using 10 for 1c, 2 for profit, but even wrangling that many white items seems like too much of a chore.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ciaphas posted:

Figure tonight I might take a little time to find some items on poe.trade with life and resists so I can go back to maps instead of dried lake. When searching poe.trade how do I know if the +life (for example) on a given item is good, average, or bad for that base item, or whatever?
I just click on the affix to sort by it and add a lower bound if I want to lop off the bad ones :shobon:

Search max life, sort, see that 80 is the max for that price or slot, add a minimum of 50, repeat for other affixes until there's <40 results to choose from.

I'm also going to be shopping tonight, if anyone wants to buy The Worst abyssus for a 5c discount hit me up.
edit:

Ciaphas posted:

Bluuh. That's the kind of thing that makes me want to put my programming chops to use outside of work.

If I weren't thoroughly loving :effort: about programming outside of work, anyway.
Your stash tabs are available from the POE site as a json object.

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 15, 2016

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm doing alright up through t7/t8 maps. 3.5k life, 5k EV. Crit maps are rough. I should buy proper endgame gear, but with maxed resists, life + eva on every slot I think I'm out of mitigation options besides something drastic like Lightning Coil? e: link

How are prophecy chains supposed to work? I had the fellshire one, killed a bunch of bugs, never got a popup but it's gone from my (H) screen. Do I just keep buying new ones until II shows up or did I mess up completing the first?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've got 100c, 5l LC runs 30~40 and I'd have to re-buy for other slots to get over the -60. It's not that I want one, just one of the few mitigation options I have at this point.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

dis astranagant posted:

Get way more life. You should have more like 4500-5000
Swapping out for LC, a much better helm, and dropping Ming's Heart got me up to 4100. Need better +life on a few slots, but the garbage pieces I have are +attr I need for the wand & now LC.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've noticed the best resist gear seems to be rings and necks. Should I accept that I'm going to have to lose my DPS on those slots?
For cruel you need 95*3 = 285 across 10 slots. 30 resist per slot is really not that hard to hit, and when leveling I generally don't cap anything except the next boss.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm A Bad at this game, but what's your main mitigation? Your slots are split between armor/ev/es.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Would be nice if the difficulty shift, lowered resists, more and stronger enemies and starting over in act 1 was explained in the story.
I always thought the re-runs made more sense. Like you wash up on a beach at level 1 and topple the extant theocratic god and Death by the end? Makes more sense that you had some skills before the Strand.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I still don't get how you're trying to mitigate damage coming in to hit that life. I'm guessing armor from your tree, like is that your long term goal or are you trying to keep CI open?

Halfsies on mitigation doesn't help. The 14% Evasion gem roll sticks out too, I'm hoping that was an errant Regal instead of intentionally purchased.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

TheRat posted:

It's perfectly possible to sell stuff without premium tabs. You're paying for convenience at most.
The old method of creating a forums posts with links & prices to the items still works, right?

Premium stash tabs afford one the opportunity to make folks paste ridiculous garbage into the game chat.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I had an Agnerod North drop, looks like I can sell it for ~30c. Is there anything else it does? Wiki's silent, flavor text mentions Vinktar square though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ultima66 posted:

Come on, read the flavor text, look at the name, and figure it out yourself. Vinktar Square is very valuable a unique map if that helps.

E: And the fact that when you search for Agnerod you'll also see results for Agnerod East, South, and West.
The wiki, which painstakingly details every change to every item since before 1.0, doesn't mention the conversion on the Rod pages, just the Vinktar Square page. I figured if that trade existed, it would be listed there. It isn't. Please accept my sincere apology for not having the entire breadth of every possible unique trade memorized and for the sheer gall to ask a question without checking every potentially relevant page.

Thanks for the pricing advice!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

10bux posted:

A visual way of knowing what map 3 of the previous tier vendor for, would be really helpful as well.
Aren't the trades always Atlas-adjacent? Or did I make that up?

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'm not sure I understand the rationale. Is there some reason why having one copy of a skill be 20% quality and one be at 0% would be useful?
You can take a level 20 gem and turn it into a level1/20%. So you swap to the other leveled one while the 20% catches up.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've got a scorching ray CWC WI tri-curse CI build at 77, have been following this guide. Genuinely feels like the strongest build I've ever put together. I'm used to limping/grouping to get through the end of a3m, but this time it just flew by like regular content. First time I've cleared merc lab as well.

I think I'm more limited defensively. Sitting around 6k ES, just got my CWDT setups in place. My next passives are going down to grab Unwavering Stance, then jogging over to get another Brute Force Solution gem slot. Link, but I'm not as confused about gearing. I'm in the 10c/upgrade range, amulet is probably next because I've picked up enough strength to not need it.

The CWC isn't in the guide I'm using. So I'm down 2 gem slots for that, have Scorching Ray linked with fire pen/LL/CWC. If I wanted to put in Conc Effect, would I be better off dropping Controlled Destruction, Spell Echo, or fire pen? CWC totally eliminated mana issues.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

whypick1 posted:

Your gem setup is bass-ackwards. Your 4L should be SR - CWC - CD - Elemental Focus, then LL/FP on the 2L (or maybe ConcE/FP if you can get by with just the leech from WM).

Spell Echo doesn't do anything in your setup (only work for manually casted non-channeled spells) and LL/FP don't work with SR because it doesn't hit.
Thanks! I cobbled it together from some guy's intermittent dried lake advice along with the guide, knew I'd miss something. In my head the LL on SR was getting over that awful delay before the leech starts filling the shield back up, but that's entirely wrong!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

whypick1 posted:

Your gem setup is bass-ackwards. Your 4L should be SR - CWC - CD - Elemental Focus, then LL/FP on the 2L (or maybe ConcE/FP if you can get by with just the leech from WM).

Spell Echo doesn't do anything in your setup (only work for manually casted non-channeled spells) and LL/FP don't work with SR because it doesn't hit.

Thanks again! Huge boost from shuffling with this advice.

I don't quite know how to account for dropping FP, but replacing FP/Spell Echo with ConcE/EF was a 150% boost to the ice storm tooltip (~1400 to ~3400). I burned a bunch of chrom to get the 1 red socket on the 2L, still have LL there but I'll try a few maps without it to see how it goes.

Defensively, should I be figuring out a way to get Vaal Discipline? I already have 2 CWDT setups, wouldn't bee too bad to add a third.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

damnfan posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/damfan/characters
Check RubIcyHotOnIt for my SR-CWC-WI character.

How is your LL? I've been thinking of replacing my Vaal Discipline with something else since I never seem to need it due to good leech.
Jealous of the ES on that tree, mine seems to spend stupid amounts of time on travel nodes. I'm running an extra curse with the Doedre ring, LL is held at a low level since I'm not sure where my strength will end up once I've got another Brute Force. Last night I was tanking Carnage hits and LL kept up, but he was also melting before a second hit landed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ciaphas posted:

Scorching Ray CwC Whispering Ice builds wear Pyre then go mental on fire damage gear and nodes, right? Putting one together this weekend (CI probably, against my preference but it just seems too strong to ignore right now).
Since it's 100% conversion, isn't Cold stacking just as good? The guide I used said Elementalist was crucial for DPS, and there's a node that helps with ele reflect.

I got into yellow maps up to t9 last night. Despite being a bad casual, SR CWC WI is carrying me really well. Finally got down to US, breaches were the only time enough stuff rushed me to stun but it was still some bad deaths.

In addition to resists and ES, you want Int on every single piece.

• Locked thread