Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Man, ice/shock nova got some huge buffs, coupled with auified curses they're going to rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
If I use three dragons helm to make the lightning damage from shock nova freeze instead, what does the built-in shock chance base it's duration off, and does it still shock?

I'm thinking crit shock nova with fcr/aoe/lit.pen/echo, herald of ice/thunder, aurified ele weakness and rear end mark, EB + ZO with an Arc + LL/echo/lit.pen for ES regen against curse immune mobs. I have no plan for reflect other than use a topaz flask and div distillate with flask effect nodes to get 93% lit resist. This is probably where it will fall apart.

edit: Wait, my math was wrong, I can hit 96% lit resist ideally. Will that be enough to mitigate reflect enough?

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 11, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Holy gently caress, Controlled Demolition gives 44% more spell damage for -100% reduced crit chance. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that's good!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

MannersPlease posted:

This is a good idea.

just make sure you're being satirical, wouldn't want anything to think you're a dumbass!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Haha, grats for making a lovely riddle no one wants to answer because the item is garbage tier crap. I almost feel sorry for Charan, imagine what he'd be like IRL. Insufferable.

He talks like that guy at the party who tries to be the center of attention except they're skinpeelingly annoying and utterly insufferable.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
So I made a video of my poison trapper build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSzQgumDobg

Gear and Gem Setup

6S5L Queen of the Forest - Bladefall / Trap - Conc.Effect / Trap.Damage / Poison

3L Jaws of Agony - Bear Trap / Trap.Damage / Poison / Void Manipulation (Jaws of Agony gives us a free lvl 20 bear trap and effective 4-link)

4L Southbound - CWDT / Immortal Call / Blood Magic / Clarity

4L Atziri's Step - Whirling Blades / Faster Attacks / Spell Totem / Wither

4L Alpha's Howl - Grace / Vaal Grace / Vaal Grace / Increased Duration

3L Bino's Kitchen Knife - Blasphemy / Vulnerability / Enduring Cry

Skill tree setup: Clicky

How it works: Bladefall/Bear Trap deals ridiculous base physical damage and are perfect for inflicting huge poison damage. Bino allows the poison to spread on death, and heals you for a proportion of the highest poison stack. Southbound makes it so that your hits (and therefore traps) cannot kill mobs unless they're frozen - which works out perfectly because it allows us to get credit for the kill (traps count as hits, but your poison DoT does not), otherwise the traps would get credit for the kill and Bino's effects would not trigger. The rest of the gem setups are pretty self-explanatory, wither totem is used on high chaos resistance bosses or extremely high-hp targets but is otherwise not used much because you kill far too fast for the totem to keep up.

Despite having a very low amount of HP I've rarely died because Bino's regeneration will protect you from almost everything bar onehits. The build has ~38k evasion with a flask up, giving us over 130% movespeed from Queen of the Forest, 40/45 dodge (78/83 with Vaal Grace), 20% block and (when the build is complete), roughly 4.3k HP.

Leveling the build is super easy. If you have a night's hold, almost any spell can be used to level. Bladefall is probably the best hands down for damage and speed, though once you get a 4L you're better off running it as Bladefall + Conc + Echo + Added Fire while running Herald of Ash and Hatred. The insane damage from this combo will carry you to A4Merc with little effort. Once you have most of your trap damage and utility nodes, you can switch over to traps and start using them. Bear in mind that poison requires a minimum amount of damage to achieve critical mass, the build doesn't work before you get your damage mods since they're the difference between poison working by itself or not. Obviously, Bino's and Southbound are core required uniques. After those, you can slowly add in the other gear as you can afford it. Priority would be Jaws of Agony and Mings after that. Your jewellery is going to be expensive though - You only get 4 slots to cover all your resists and life/mana/regeneration.

On the plus side, you will melt hard bosses like butter. I've done Rigvald, Atziri, twinned malformation Piety, Colosseum Daresso and Merc Malachai. Aside from some rips due to being lazy, nothing has seriously challenged this build yet.

Edit: Here's my character page, name is HaveYouHeardOfSoap. This might make it easier to check out my gear: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ProAtWorkHere/characters

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 27, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Devor posted:

What am I missing about the Night's Hold amulet? I messed around the and the Cast when Stunned meant I couldn't cast it manually. What's the deal?

Certain spells are "channeled" which means they can't be supported by skills that "cast" spells. IIRC this is Incinerate, Lightning Tendrils and Flameblast. Any skill that is not a spell will also not be supported by Cast When Stunned.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Devor posted:

What am I missing about the Night's Hold amulet? I messed around the and the Cast when Stunned meant I couldn't cast it manually. What's the deal?

Edit:

Also, do you have a tree I can look at?

I've added my skill tree to the post, here's a link: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...uGmV03j_o831O0_

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

The choice of Alpha's howl seems a bit weird and not worth it. Looking at the video, you hadn't specced into the Charisma notable yet. Charisma cluster + notable gives the same amount of remaining mana as no notable + Alpha's howl, I'd have specced into that node earlier and worn a helmet with life and resists and evasion.

And good god, 3k life as an evasion build. Well, with good jade flask usage and positioning, you should be safe.

Bino's regen keeps you alive in situations where you really should be dead, it's great. I agree the life is way too low but I put off my life nodes til later on since the build is safe enough as is. Probably had one death in the last ~50 maps.

Charisma is the next node I've taken, that video is from a few levels ago. The build has major mana issues so it was either go EB (not happening with acro) or get more unreserved mana to work with. You need ~280 mana open to be able to use your traps at full speed. With the howl and those nodes I have just enough mana to fully sustain my skills. Evasion increases my movespeed so I want my grace to be as high level as possible, to make up for the loss of evasion from the shield and gloves. A good resist helm might seem like it'd be better but yeah, mana is a MAJOR problem with this build unless you do something similar.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 28, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

What spell is that dagger for

I know right? That's a terrible caster weapon.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration + Enfeeble is one of the strongest defensive setups you can run. Phys damage will often be taken in quick spikes and IC will protect you from being insta-bursted, while Enfeeble cuts incoming damage by 20-30% while also reducing critical strike damage taken and enemy accuracy. You can also run Enduring Cry and generate endurance charges regularly, which will be consumed when IC triggers, lengthening it's duration massively. Endurance charges also give physical damage reduction and elemental resists.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
So this is what I get up to when I strike it lucky with drops and have many exalted to play with, next-level meta builds:

I call it the Cast When Damage Takener :v:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah, honestly I get pretty bored with my builds once they get to lvl88+ because it's just not feasible to sustain a T12+ map pool even with alching/chiseling/vaaling every T10+ map I run. You get bursts of good drops, but all it takes is a few maps without a decent map drop and you're back to grinding T8-T10. The only other high-level content choices you have are Atziri (build restricitve and 95% mechanics, 5% skill), Uber (see Atziri except add a 3ex pricetag), Rigwald (harder, but no limit on portals make him cheesable, also takes for-loving-ever to farm the talismans) or Vinktar (Good fight but still way too expensive to run for fun).

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

ZyrKx posted:

so i got a thing it seems ok?

no its terrible give it to me right now

its guuuuud

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Gheed is Good

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
You can spend one dollar loving fifty and upgrade a basic tab to a premium tab you whiny loving babies. The amount of hyperbole over this subject is legendary.

Maybe some of these people complaining should try not being poor, cheap basement dwellers.

ImsaKidd posted:

Not all of us are neckbeards who can eat $20 of fast food in one sitting.

But you ARE a huge loving baby, I'm sure you can manage it.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

panda clue posted:

but I can get nuggets for a $1.49 at burger king

which would u rather have: nuggets or a premium stash tab? the choice is simple, really...

poo poo...

don't do this to me...

please...

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The vaal spark patchnote made me laugh, they took the chainsaw to it and really want you to know :v:

edit:

quote:

The Fracturing end-game Map Mod can no longer be generated on maps. Existing maps with this mod will still retain their functionality.

RIP servermeltingly awesome times :(

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 3, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

funmanguy posted:

This is such a good change, every map I lost to crashes in 2.1 was a fracture map.

Very true, but there was something so satisfying about using poison prolif on a fracture map.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Count Uvula posted:

Some enchantments that piqued my interest while skimming (spoilers I guess):

80% chance to Avoid being Stunned if you've Killed Recently
40% increased Abyssal Cry Damage
Arc chains an additional 3 times
45% reduced Ball Lightning Projectile Speed
100% increased Effect of the Buff granted by your Chaos Golems
Ground Slam has a 24% increased angle
30% increased Lightning Strike Pierce Chance
30% reduced Lightning Warp Duration
3 additional Molten Strike Projectiles
15% of Rejuvenation Totem life regeneration added as mana Regeneration (is this effected by mana regen % increases?)
30% reduced Spectral Throw Projectile Deceleration (what?)
Tempest Shield chains an additional 3 times

Holy poo poo those are loving CRAZY powerful! gently caress, you can get 97% reduced duration lightning warp! It also looks like the Labyrinth scales up to possibly level 80 if the datamining is correct. God knows how tough that's going to be.

Also, Ice Spear could be quite interesting this league with Assassin: 6 power charges + 7% base = 10% base, 2nd form has +600% crit chance, giving 70% crit. Add 300% increased crit from charges and you get 100% crit, capped at 95%, for literally no crit investment whatsover on your tree or gear. Sounds like it could be quite fun.

edit: Oh I forgot about the whole 100% more chance to crit on full life, but honestly that's only going to affect the first-stage aspect. Which is still nice I suppose.

:siren::siren::siren:

quote:

EnchantmentEarthquakeDuration2 75 45% reduced Earthquake Duration
:siren::siren::siren:

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 4, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Some of those enchantments are huge power boosts, I wouldn't be surprised to see white helms with popular enchants being sold for a bit, 300+ random effects basically means you are never going to see the one you want.

At least you can reroll enchantments on items and don't have to use a fresh item every time like vaal orbs, so there's that small consolation at least.

But yeah, this league is going to possibly make all those 1c rares in your shop that don't sell possible candidates for an enchantment run, might get something nice.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

I believe that makes 135ms delay possible. And people thought you couldn't attack fast with it. If it doesn't, it definitely makes 248ms possible.

That's with 15% Rapid Decay + 10% 20/20 Less Duration + 12% warped timepiece + 45% enchantment correct? Giving you 82% reduced duration, with 50% less = 91% reduced duration. Don't see why any of those elements wouldn't affect the skill, so it's going to be funny as gently caress seeing people throw down 7 earthquakes a second.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Exactly. I don't know enough about rapid decay to be 100% on it working but I don't see why it wouldn't.

I can verify with personal experience that as long as a skill has a duration tag on it, rapid decay will affect it.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Cinara posted:

I think it's VERY unlikely that this nerf is real. Datamining is not always accurate and this would make Earthquake pretty bad compared to other melee skills due to the "cooldown".

Except we're theorycrafted a build that could get the duration down to 0.13 seconds per aftershock, without crazy investment. It might just end up being another fast attack skill (ironically enough).

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

TipsyMcStagger posted:

37,951 Path of Exile

yeah thats a lot.

And that's just through steam. Lots of people use the non-steam client too.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

funmanguy posted:

Hrm, well. The site is down for maintenance too. So who knows.

I'm patching right now.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Back up now.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Oh boy :getin: someone found this on reddit.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

euphronius posted:

That's completely crazy hahah. What is going on.

Are coins going to be the new currency in trades ?

If it does then I'll die laughing because finally, FINALLY, PoE has embraced the gold standard :v:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
You also have abyssal cry, which isn't exactly the same as you need to kill the creature under it's effect to make it go boomboom, but it does it to everyone near you and they explode gloriously for significant chaos damage, often causing chain reactions that obliterate entire packs of mobs.

Infernal blow is also cool if you think punching something so hard it spontaneosly combusts into a screenclearing fireball is fun.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I finally managed to kill cruel Izaro at lvl 55 after a dozen or so attempts. It took me a few tries to figure out how to neuter his buffs correctly, making sure to save two of the charge negating pillars so I can burst him down towards the end of his first phase while keeping the charges off him, made sure none of his guardians survived in the second phase. Even then it was a very tense but extremely fun and challenging fight that I'd gladly do again. I'm glad I didn't overlevel and return 20 levels later, because it would have cheapened the experience a bit.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

PoE grognards are the best. Yes clearly the league with the unprecedented player numbers that provides rewards that everyone can enjoy and incorporates a meta-changing new element to the game and massively expands build options while streamlining the trading process so people don't ragequit trying to buy a belt they want, is going to tank HARD.

I bet the person making that comment relied on a bunch of RMT'ing to get where he was and now it's all been pissed against the wall. Lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Safari Disco Lion posted:

It's mostly from Trappers being big right now and Assassin being hilariously busted.

So busted that you can still achieve 95% crit chance on ice spear EVEN WHILE WEARING A MARYLENE'S FALLACY :getin:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Well this didn't take long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exCQ_BcnaXE

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
More crazy awesome stuff thanks to ascendancy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvGr3TqYrhc

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The simple fact that none of the characters in town make any mention of the fact that all forms of Thaumaturgy died the moment the Beast did indicates that something isn't right. The single thing that makes you capable as an exile of accomplishing what you did is supposed to be dead and buried, but it isn't. And it couldn't be for the game to continue on past Act 5.

So I'm guessing the Beast was like an appendage of an even larger entity, which is the true source of corruption/thaumaturgy. In every act, you transition to the next one in the same zone you beat the final boss in, so to me it only seems possible that act 6 is diving deeper beyond the Beast to find _something_

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Considering the beast gains power from bloodshed and regrowth, you, exile, are the beast.

:v: however some of the townspeople remark that they're actually scared of you now. I can't remember which classes but I'm pretty sure Kira flat-out says you frighten her now.

I'm totally down with No John You Are The Demon, as long as I get fuckerstrike

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

The Real Foogla posted:

what Level 8 Catarina says is pretty enlightening in that regard...

I've never gotten her to 8 before, what does she have to say?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Maybe it'll be like SOTN and we get an upside down wraeclast to fight through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Rurutia posted:

Yeah the darts murder my LL character, I'm not sure what's going on there.

If you're lowlife, it still calculates the damage based on your combined ES and Life before any removal or stepdown functions affect it. So that 2.5k life you have reserved down to <600 is making you take a tonne more damage to your ES. If I were a betting man I'd say that this is also the reason why CI characters get buttfucked so hard by traps, effects that consider the max HP of a player using CI calculate your max health BEFORE CI takes effect. So those CI characters with 5-6k ES and being hit as if they had 6K es and ~1.5-2.5k HP.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 20, 2016

• Locked thread