Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Mystery Prize posted:

I should rephrase and say that it is possible, but quite a lot less efficient. Your character at level 93-96 (depending upon act 2 skillpoints vs other benefits) has 193% life and 154% evasion, vs the random level 80 cyclone marauder I just threw together that ends up with 210% life and 186% armor with 13 less points spent.

This isn't to showcase that cyclone is overpowered (because it is, at least until the patch notes show up), but more to show that it's significantly easier to build a tanky dude over on the left side of the tree.

Yeah, its kinda a bummer, but there are still a lot of good options with every starting class, just less tanky on the right side of the tree.

Also, you a brave man rat, going melee acro. I wouldn't do that in sc.

Oh, also, apperantly, one of the darkshrine things may have put in the guildmaster's "Guild Tag" slot, so if our glorious leader has a chance, check to see if anything is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Count Uvula posted:

It's really not bad, the hard part is only that you'll have less HP/HP regen. It was really good back when acro didn't gently caress with your block chance.

It's more to do with evasion/dodge not reducing the very rare hits that you take, so getting one shot is a bigger concern than with using armor/block. At least in my experience.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

TheRat posted:

With 6k+ hp and fortify in the main attack link, it'll be entirely fine. Until I fight that loving dog again.

I figured out a fool-proof strat to village ruin bosses.

Divine Shrine.

Let me know how it goes.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Katasi posted:

Maybe I was misunderstanding, but I thought Mjolner got dumpstered a couple patches ago.

Nah, it went from being the best item/build in the game(without mirrored gear). To being a really good build that could clear uber and all tier 15 maps.

Edit: Spergs like me might like this

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 9, 2015

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

LordAdakos posted:

As someone who picked this up when it first came out but hasn't touched it since then (and only had a character up to level 15 or so) what do you guys recommend for some relatively easy, reasonably powerful builds that I can level up with and play around and have fun without having to sperglord forever worry too much? Sometime like a minion master? Totem Summoner?

I'd say something like shockwave totem/searing bond would fit the bill. But with almost any build, you will have to do some maths.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Don't sleep on Fire Nova Mine.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Oh, they are. It's terrible.

Thinking about the new physical damage spells. There isn't any physical leech that isnt tied to attacks outside of doryani's invitation, right?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Count Uvula posted:

Warlord's Mark and the leech gems themselves would both work.

That's a good point. I don't like relying on a curse+blasphemy when Curse Immunity is such a common map mod.

But if the damage is high enough on Blade Vortex, it could be pretty good in a high block/spell block build, with EB/MoM, use hatred and HoF/AA. But it would be more interesting if there wasnt a clear incinerate replacement for all the currency incinerate builds.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 10, 2015

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

snipermonkey posted:

Now I'm regretting that I didn't play dark shrine league, but I just didn't want to start from the beginning all over again. By the way how did you manage to get so many 6 links? And what are those booty chests and how did you get so many?

What Manners said. I did a lot of this too before I got tired of the league. I vendored all my 6ls for divines, and totally ruined my divine:good ventor ratio. I used 12 to get 1 good ventors in darkshrine. That puts me at 25:8.

Ekster posted:

I'm thinking more and more about trying out Viper Strike + Melee Splash now that it (probably?) doesn't suck anymore.

I think it will be good. I think it will scale well with a high attack speed base sword with the highest phy damage possible, crit is even better, but I don't think its really needed tbh. Whirling Blades>Viper Strike until the map is dead.

Also, some of the challenges look quite hard. I REALLY dont want to level zana to 8 for a forth time. And the divination card challenge seems even worse.

God drat, you need to turn in a divination card set with 10 cards in it. Here is the big list of 10 card sets.

Nope

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 10, 2015

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Dirt posted:

One more dumb question: Everyone is going to start on Hardcore in the new league right? Do you guys keep playing that character even after you die and get kicked down to non-hardcore? Or do you reroll?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

No, most players in the guild play Softcore. Rodent/TheRat is the chief denmother for all your hardcore interests though, but there are a lot of helpful goons on both HC and SC.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

TheRat posted:

mother comessssss

Its like beetlejuice, except you just say it once.

GUYS!

LESS THAN 1 DAY UNTIL NEW PATCH DROPS.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 10, 2015

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

voltron lion force posted:

I always think whatever the new league is will finally be the league that I roll in HC but it never happens. I always end up dying once in cruel for one reason or another so I don't think I'm cut out for it anyways.

I don't think it's about being cut out for it. Play what you have most fun playing. If you enjoy the way you need to play in order to be successful in HC, then do it man.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

voltron lion force posted:

The HC playstyle seems fun, rerolling all the time cause I'm bad at it does not.

From what I can tell from seeing people in the guild play nothing but HC, death is just a part of playing. Like watching a really good movie with a poo poo ending, it doesn't matter because the journey was what was most important to that player. Like, I think I've seen Rat mad about a death once, it wasnt even when he was rank 4 on the HC ladder. Seemed like he just shrugged, and opened a blank tree to think of a new character.

Also, I am not like that. I enjoy dying in poe. I love yoloing strongboxes, or seeing just how much a reflect map will hurt, etc. It was fun for me, to throw my corpse at the Desert Boss right after 2.0 came out. I didn't even get the kill, just -60%XP.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Ultima66 posted:

I just looked at a page that listed some more detailed info about the challenges for the upcoming league and I didn't actually realize how you get a Kingmaker before.

Expect Soul Takers to hit like 15 exalts this league ahahahaha. On the plus side if you wanna make a support character this is probably the cheapest that Kingmaker will ever get. Also expect people to sell 15 quality chance to ignites for 30 chaos.

I don't think so honestly. Its part of one of the hardest challenges in the league, and you only need 28/32 completed to get the full set of armor. Plus I think its usefulness will drop a bit with leech changes on the tree and mana per level increases.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Holyshoot posted:

the worse i have done is maybe wast too many jewelers/chromes/fusings when I should have stopped.

I scoured a 5L 400 pdps harb in the 1.3 days. It was about 15-25ex value lost.

I'm pretty sure I've made many mistakes in poe worse than anyone else in the guild. I am not good at video games.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Mystery Prize posted:

Holy poo poo, that blows. How did you manage to do that?

I was tired, and I had just crafted that bow to replace my then current bow. Went to scour the old one to try crafting it again and whoops.

The value lost is pretty insignificant now, at least on standard I am fairly well off. But at the time it made me pretty angry for about 30 seconds, then I just started laughing and went on with my day.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Oh also, if you are new or coming back from a bit of time away. If you aren't 100% sure about doing something, ask in gchat. Some people might be annoyed by silly questions, but they are wrong and dumb and ugly probably. If you are going to use currency on a thing you have, but you aren't sure if you should, ask, and we will try to help.

The main exception is with pricing items in your shop. No one knows how to price things perfectly. And if our advice might be way off, you could lose a lot of currency, or waste a lot of time with an overpriced item. So we probably won't try to help when we may cause more harm than good.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
New melee splash gem has More Splash Radius. That's a thing.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Count Uvula posted:

Is someone datamining poo poo?

http://poehub.org/skillgems/

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Good news, Elemental Hit's mana cost at level 20 went from 19 to 12.

Now we have less of a reason to not use it. But it won't be used.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

TheRat posted:

Crit multi is pretty good too.

That it is, but it is a dying stat that is being hunted to extinction on the skill tree.

Edit http://www.twitch.tv/draskyl

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
The numbers on arc seem pretty good. You get the 5th chain at level 12 or something(and 7th at level 20), and the damage that it used to do at level 22, it now does at level 20.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

GaistHeidegger posted:

I use split arrow with lesser multiple projectiles and caustic arrow with physical projectile attack damage + life leech alternatively.

From my experience using split arrow, using lesser/greater multiple projectiles is much more of a hindrance than anything else.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Ok, about a week ago some people from the guild threw me some of the spare talismans to run down for rigwald sets. One guy in particular, whose name I cannot remember, gave me a bunch of ilvl 78+ talismans. Well, I have a set for a level 80 rigwald and I need you to get in the drat game so we can run it.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I'd guess that the cards that got higher drop chance are the less common 10, 11, and 12 sets.

I hope at least.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

theshim posted:

Man I just gave away a ton of poo poo and it was great.

I think I'll have to make a habit of this every league.

I got an andvarius, what else did you give away?

Vilgan posted:

How do people have enough extra maps they can afford to sell? I had someone give me like 8 T7s and despite pushing them to very high quantity % I only replace them like half the time. Usually I'll get a bunch of crap maps and maybe a single T6 or T7.

Over time you will go up map tiers. The way I do it is just alch the map, if I can run it, run it. No exceptions to that, sinking currency into rolling maps below T12 feels like losing a lot of money. Its nice if your build can handle all map mods, but if not, you can always try selling your unrunable maps on poe.trade for cheap, or trade them to goons who can run them in exchange for maps that you can run that they cannot.

I've run a ton of maps this league, and it doesn't feel like big map returns come from amazingly well rolled maps, but from just normal 50 quantity/25 rarity/0 pack size/0 quality maps. My first T12 came from a blue volcano map.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Count Uvula posted:

The whole guild pretty much does not give a poo poo at all about the standard stash, as long as you don't do something dickish like take poo poo just to vendor/sell it.

This was a few pages back. But some of us(me) enjoy standard sometimes.

Count Uvula posted:

:confused: This sounds like an incredibly bad idea.

I thought so too, but after playing without the 10% dodge and spell dodge, I don't mind it. It's kinda dependent on you killing things very very quickly, so it might not be great in future patches. Also Arrow Dancing goes a long way to making a bow character safe as well.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 26, 2016

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

If you are in the guild, hit me up when I am on, I may have some stuff on standard that can help you.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Glad they changed the Elementalist node, seemed like it was going to be like the rigwald ring, all gimmick and no usefulness.

With what we know so far, I am most excited about Gladiator, Assassin, and Hierophant. Not to say that those are the best, they just give me ideas of stuff to do, and fit with how I like to play. Some of the others look outright insane if they were put into the game as is, but I would imagine that there will be a lot of other changes that comes with 2.2 to normalize things.

Also, I wonder if it will be easy to get the last two points for an acendency class from the merc labyrinth. I think my first guy will be someone who can function well with only 4 points in a tree.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I'm thinking of making my first non-funman based character name. I want it to be worth the occasion though, any ideas?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
The big change I hope for is reworking the map mods for curse and stun immunity. They make me not want to play builds that focus on either of those mechanics because it feels like I am being taxed to run maps. The zana change is a big plus though.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Looks like a roguelike.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Ekster posted:

Yeah mathil is the best but this is better than Kripp trying to catch up to 5 leagues worth of updates.

Watching him play self cast discharge is kinda adorable. Still better than any build I've made, but I wouldn't have noticed if ggg made Discharge impossible to self cast.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I think I will do a shockwave totem build for ascendancy. Templar Inquisitor seems like it could work well. I've not played a templar since 1.3.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Ekster posted:

There is no RNG, all is pre-ordained by the will of Chris Wilson.

Been dicking around on standard doing this ghost busting thing. Got a ventor's gamble, lightning coil, and voltaxic in the same map. My next 3 maps had the sea witches that sing to slow you down then stop you. The will of Chris is just, but fair.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

panda clue posted:

I know you already know that CW is fundamentally against that and it will never happen. nice try m8

There are two things you can never do in the poe thread.

1. Don't start a pros/cons discussion about large changes to the trading system, it ends in a crazy derail.
2. Don't ever ever ever engage Duck and Cover.

You did both in one post. Admirable.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Holyshoot posted:

give me some of that loot you got earlier. TIA :glomp:

I have no idea who you(or anyone) is in game.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Ekster posted:

1) The 'old' way will still work.

When I first started trading in Rampage League I found a video tutorial on setting up a thread and spent about 20 minutes setting up a thread and learning about buyout tags and the poe.trade site. This was before I finally caved and downloaded Procurement and way before I switched to Acquisition. I was pretty scared to give anything that looked like login creds to a third party program. While this new system only applies to people with premium tabs, people without can still use the third party programs, and when those stop working because of lack of updates, do it manually on the forums. It might be useful to put this into the OP if it isn't already there.

So this seems like 2 steps forward with 0 steps back.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Infinite Monkeys posted:

If you have, say, 40 SRS and 10 zombies out, what happens if you drink that potion which spawns two worms near you and it affects your minions? Hopefully what happens is a huge swarm of worms.

The belt only makes your flasks work for your spectres and zombies, so it wouldn't be that crazy. Hell, it may not interact at all, hope it does though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Vorenus posted:

Lol. I ask about a build, told it's too expensive. Ask about another, also too expensive. Have a build suggested, ask for more info and told it's not suitable. gently caress it.

I am bad at making builds, and video games in general. But something like this

Scale the damage with jewel slots, Elemental Overload, Pendulum of Destruction from the elementalist tree, and shock from shaper of desolation and the elemental conflux counter that it provides. You could use the last two ascendancy points on Mastermind of Discord and throw out a frost trap every now and then for extra penetration, or go beacon of ruin for pseudo Elemental Proliferation.

The tree is far from optimized or even finished, but it might work as a jumping off point.

The Real Foogla posted:

how much does an Aziri kill cost in TSC? I'm at 20 and that is the only reasonable challenge left

I have two sets of fragments and I don't think I can kill her with these:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/JustinCray/characters

The Shadow is my best bet I think, and I already wasted three sets with him (Duo and Trio deathless, and then Aziri herself just beats me down). In hindsight character ADHD is real, but I just kept on finding such great stuff for other characters... that second 6L is like cocaine for levelling :negative:

I have an extra set or two on TSC if you need.

Mercrom posted:

Yeah Abyssus is pretty much a joke item for softcore players who like big numbers and hate experience points.

Its legit good.

NecroMonster posted:

I am unaware of any build that actually requires a legacy item to function in any way.

Can someone please enlighten me?

There are a lot of things that you can do with legacy uniques like shavronne's revelation, voll's devotion, the taming, scold's bridle, the harvest, and obviously headhunter. There is no reason that those items existing(or any mirrored gear for that matter) should change the way almost everyone plays a temp league.

• Locked thread