Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

A LOT of the marketing for Star Wars-related products this year is predicated on this "IMPOSE THE MAGIC OF STAR WARS ON YOUR KIDS!!' and it really pisses me off, that Toys R Us one with the daughter is the worst of all.

Don't forget "adult life has made you a pathetic, joyless husk but look Han Solo is flying by out the window look at your filthy broken Princess Leia toy and REMEMBER YOUTH!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I should also add the the clerk in the store where I bought the DVDs was super excited about Episode 7 and insisted on showing me the boxed set they had in case I wanted to buy that instead and asked me who my favourite character was. I went "Uhhh, R2D2??" and he went "Oh, a droid man. I haven't met many droid men."

He was telling me that the favourite characters for people his age are usually Qui Gon or Mace Windu because he had that cool purple lightsabre and I just nodded at him.

He was trying to seduce you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Darth Vader Prequels Burger looked like it had been burnt to gently caress so that checks out:

Taste the flavour of the Dark Side of the Force!!! Mmmmm !!!

If that's what France thinks American food is like it's no loving wonder they hate us. They're not wrong, but Jesus.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zoran posted:

There's not any canonical account of this, but I would assume just Sheev. He's trying to tempt Anakin with forbidden knowledge, so of course he would call the guy who discovered it "The Wise."

It's because kids were going apeshit for Lord of the Rings and the prequels were distant second bananas two out of three times.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Truly these central planks of a merchandising push from a weakening corporation calculated to buy another decade of market relevance and political influence will perhaps allow it to acquire proven Warner Communications IPs and begin the cycle again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, is that really Mark Hammill in the car commercial? When I think aging icon from my youth, I really think about good mileage and a solid APR.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

Has JJ Abrams said anything about his philosophy or intentions for VII?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxoIewdYI0

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Star Wars killed New Hollywood and must die in agony for proving that Jaws-level blockbusters could be replicated.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

LOTR and the PT were only in theaters for one year together (2002), and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even the same time of year.

Really? I remember a really embarrassing attempt at having Yoda rap to overshadow Gollum winning an award at some mtv thing in 2003.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Oh I forgot another cool tidbit from the 60 Minutes Overtime videos was JJ talking about the writing process with Lawrence Kasden. He talked about how he would have an idea and Kasden would be like "NO, you don't need to say that, the character doesn't need to say that. Just trust the characters."

I was both shocked that JJ thought this was a novel idea, and relieved that Kasden helped write this movie.

Kasden was an adorable salty old man 20 years ago. I can't imagine what he's like now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In Star Wars everyone is a neuter except for freaks like Leia and Han Solo, and Luke's parents. Nobody says anything to their faces, of course, but they're all thinking how weird it is to kiss and junk.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Timby posted:

Billy Dee Williams is barely mobile.

He has arthritis in his everything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Their hospitality will be repaid by endless internet bitching.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/15/threats-made-to-spoil-star-wars-the-force-awakens-unless-demands-are-met/

Are these people serious? Why would they want to spoil the movie for everyone just because their precious EU is no longer relevant. I guess this means I'll be staying away from anything Star Wars related on Facebook, etc..

Nerds jump from obsessive love to obsessive hate like it's nothing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

Bolded needs to be a thread title somewhere. Probably D&D.

Culture war's getting weird. What is Disney's supposed place in the social justice conspiracy? Giving benefits to same-sex spouses?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kiimo posted:

That shirt rip was so unnecessary. Also i remember there being a really hokey moment when Natalie Portman falls onto the sand out of a ship or something and then gets up and is like I'm okay and runs away for no apparent reason.

I wonder what the breakdown among the prequel cast was on "this is going to do serious damage to my career, but I'll be rich" vs "this is going to make my career and put me on easy street for sure"?

My guess is Portman and MacGregor were firmly in the first group with both Anakin actors in the second, partially because I can't remember either of their names.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's a new Star War out. Why talk about an old one?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just saw it. Greg Gruenberg is so fat now that I'm worried about his health. He's got like a Jorge Garcia thing going on and I don't like it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That lady with the glasses should have been Bea Arthur's character from the Christmas special. Total missed opportunity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Soggy Cereal posted:

I actually do. Luke doesn't affect the outcome of the situation at all, gets wrecked physically and psychologically, has flirtations with the dark side, and almost dies.

From the standpoint of having a movie, it's the right one of course because it's far more entertaining.

It's the right thing in narrative terms because his attachment to people and his love for others pays off in him redeeming Darth Vader in the third movie. It's the right thing in moral terms because asceticism is always wrong in America/to Americans--Yoda's right, but nobody making or watching the movie would approve of Luke listening to him.

Now start talking about that new Star War drat it!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

Eh, it's okay.

Why is Greg Gruenberg so fat? Why?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lonely Chewbacca is the saddest thing.

Also the main character super-looks like Hugo Weaving when her hair's not in the frame.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Greg Gruenberg supposed to be a Porkins callback? He's the son of Porkins?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did Kasden really work on the script for the new one, or is it all marketing bs?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yoda believes in disconnecting yourself from the material world. "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." In his view, the dark side is what holds us back from the understanding that reality is nothing but a bunch of fleeting images. This gives him an 'ends justify the means' approach to conflict and, later, a passive tolerance for suffering. Nothing's real, so who cares?

Obiwan believes there is no such thing as truth. There is only plurality of (cultural) viewpoints, and none is necessarily better than any other. This is what allows him to ignore injustice that's right in front of him - because, you know, who is he to question how a certain culture does things?

Multiculturalism is not moral relativism. Antiracism is white supremacy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How does that work.

I read it as colorblind antiracism in your post. I'm really sorry. That's what I get for posting about Star Wars.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Don't give in to hate. That leads to the Dark Side.

Yoda sez: "Vote for Trump you must not!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

TFA is what egged me on to doing my complete rewatch and made me appreciate Staw Wars all over again, so even though I think the film itself was a little hollow and designed by commitee, I'm really appreciate it getting me to engage with the franchise again

The one thing that really frustrates me about it is how fast it moves and that there are touches of a slower draft left in the frenzy of the final film. Adam Driver uses the force to figure out that Daisy Ridley sees Han Solo as a father figure and gets mad because Han Solo was a failure of a father to him, but the only bonding she and Han Solo do is some engineering and piloting, and she doesn't really learn anything from him. And Adam Driver is mad at Han Solo in the rest of the movie not because was a lovely father, but because Adam Driver loves the dark side.

There's a slightly slower movie in there with like 17 minutes more of quiet scenes between the characters, and I kind of want to see that one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

jivjov posted:

Don't forget Han's 'job offer'. Its clear that the two bond quickly, and Rey already knew about Han (and not as a rebellion general, but as a famous smuggler [a career that Han says was "the only thing he was ever good at"]) Even if its only a short relationship, they're clearing setting Han up as a mentor, while also showing that Rey has some new tricks she can teach the older man.

But they just needed a regular conversation or two when things were quiet and it would be so much stronger than what's between action scenes. Unless he would have gotten creepy uncle with her after five more minutes and that's the real reason he left the rebellion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

JUST SAW IT WOW

REY SIT ON MY FACE!!!!!!

The movie made me gay for Oscar Isaac. My marriage has been destroyed. Please be careful when watching Star Wars.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Their hotel rooms are so broken down and gross. England in the early 80s must have been a real hellscape.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

If hyperspace calculations are so important and need to be exact, why is the hyperdrive controller a lever?

"I don’t know! You just flip switches!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

greatn posted:

The reason Kylo went evil may be extremely simple and laid out right in the movie. Leia: It's not your fault! It was Snoke!

Of course I hope it's not that cut and dry, but could be.

There's also him saying that Han Solo was a lovely dad, which I'm sure we'll hear about next time/in a spinoff film/in a licensed tie-in novel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does anyone defend the special editions over the originals?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stop motion and mattes signal a film's historical context--they're marks of it being from a certain time and place. When that context is different from ours, it informs the way we receive the film. I don't like the cg additions because they move Star Wars from 1977 to 1997, and a huge component of my enjoyment of Star Wars is it's 1970s-ness and historical context.

Although I also kind of hate Star Wars for what it caused and encouraged in filmmaking.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Empire Strikes Back made the least, out of all the films.

Adjusted for inflation, it's still behind Episodes 1, 6, and 7.

What was Empire up against? The Shining? Friday the 13th?

That is actually way stiffer competition than Spiderman.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Abrams gets an A+ for getting Fisher out of Margot Kidder territory and back to seeming like a normal human.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

The rabid hatred of George Lucas as a human being is pretty absurd, but so is the crazy adverse reaction towards anything Disney in Camp CineD. The lesson here is that terribly annoying and awkward people exist on all sides.

George Lucas used his wealth and connections to force the construction of low-income housing in his neighborhood, over the objections of his neighbors. With that act he did more good than I will ever do and trolled the poo poo out of a bunch of rich assholes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In retrospect I am surprised there aren't more trains in Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lincoln posted:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, because I haven't carefully read every post --because this is a terrible thread-- but TFA doesn't necessarily mirror ANH as much as it mirrors ANH + the first third of ESB, when Luke arrives on Dagobah to start training with Yoda.

My first viewing was spoiler-free, so the fact it was a re-telling of ANH went completely unnoticed as it was playing out. After a second viewing, I still don't have a problem with its derivative nature because a) the film succeeded, and b) it doesn't seem they're going to parrot ESB and RTOJ moving forward. To me, anyway. Clearly, the next film will acknowledge/examine the parallel training of Rey and Ren. Even the names are similar. They're powerful but un-honed wielders of the force, and they'll clash in VIII. Duh. But I don't know what will happen beyond that.

Unrelated: The biggest success of TFA, compared to the prequels, is that it features interesting characters doing interesting things. I want to know what they're going to do next.

Also, I appreciated the score a lot more during the second viewing. It's quite good. Very distinct from the other six, and very good.

It has some serious structural problems (writing for the sequel, endless piling of action scene onto action scene), but I don't really mind because the cast is wonderful and the script serves to develop the characters as best it can. It's a solid movie I would enjoy showing a child who liked Star Wars.

• Locked thread