Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Lampsacus posted:

So is anybody else planning to marathon all the films before the new one comes out?

The movie theater near me did a marathon of all 7 when TFA came out and was pretty fun despite clocking in at about 20 hours spent at the theater. I'll probably do it again for The Last Jedi if I can somehow convince my friends to go again. It probably helped that the entire theater had these recliners instead of normal seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Bongo Bill posted:

I watch all of them simultaneously for maximum efficiency.

The only way to go for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHRsYiPVbE8

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Willrow Hood Origins.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well he's laying low while the FAA is considering a lifetime ban for him from flying planes or whatever, so it's not like he's busy.

United should hire him.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I didn't get really hyped until the second TFA trailer.
The original teaser didn't give me the same reaction it gave some others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJgLa3eKMYs&t=1s

This one was still cool though. More hyped about that poster though. Sooo much better than the TFA poster.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

euphronius posted:

Maybe luke doesn't do any light sabre flips in the movie ?

Gonna be really mad if nobody has quadrupled their flip power.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I'm putting all my money on the movie opening with Hux flying Kylo back to Snoke with their tails between their legs, then cutting back to Rey and Luke on the island.
Can't imagine the movie not starting in space after the crawl.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

K. Waste posted:

Only if it's Rogue Two, though

?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Tezzora posted:

you ever wonder why disney pulled clone wars from the air almost instantly in favor of the same show but not set in the prequels

Probably because Clone Wars had a bunch of Lucas's own money funding it and was stupid expensive to make compared to Rebels.
^yeah what that guy said
Also Rebels has Clone Wars characters popping in and out all the time so i don't know how much they're worried about prequel vs ot stuff.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Tezzora posted:

if the prequels were really very popular and marketable, then why was their cartoon unprofitable without the frogman bailing them out. a high budget? this is the world's most valuable IP. surely if this was a juggernaut belying its total lack of presence in the mainstream world, they could have produced a cartoon that looked good and didn't need subsidy

By this same reasoning, why does Rebels look like poo poo?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

El Burbo posted:

They should definitely make a pod racing movie (but not set on tatooine)

Starring Vin Diesel and The Rock.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Why are these new movies avoiding using old alien designs? *Thrusts glasses up* By all canonical accounts there should be at least some twi'leks in that scene, and I would argue Muuns and Neimoidians.

Hey, if I can't nerd out here where can I nerd out?

I would assume that the Neimoidians got royally hosed after the clone wars like Germany post WWI. It would be nice to see a couple classic star wars aliens sprinkled in with the new designs though. Makes the movies feel less connected with all the old races completely strangely absent and replaced with these new aliens we've never seen.

Also Darth Jorge.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

The_Doctor posted:

You know what it's like when you're in a hurry in the morning. You just grab clothes off the floor that fit. Yours, his, it's all good.

But yeah, he's literally wearing Poe's shirt as well as his jacket.

https://twitter.com/osccarisaac/status/866968440002682880
Space bros share clothes all the time. It's totally normal.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Cnut the Great posted:

No one character on the Separatist side is really presented as "heroic", in a traditional sense. They're a bunch of unsympathetic characters who start wearing the trappings of heroic Rebels, to contrast against the sympathetic characters on the Republic side who nevertheless start wearing the trappings of an oppressive Empire. It's a thematic statement about how the Republic is losing the moral high ground. The Separatists who show up on screen are still outwardly the same group of free market assholes from the last two movies.

The PT is told from the perspective of characters who are loyal to the Republic and don't start seeing the folly in the war against the Separatists until it's too late. We know from dialogue that the Separatists started off as a resistance movement against an increasingly corrupt Republic, but we tellingly are never shown any of these Separatists in the PT; we're only shown the big business representatives who cynically hijack the movement. This is how the viewpoint characters see the movement, and so it's also how we see it. As an audience member, you're not really supposed to viscerally sympathize with any of the Separatist characters until the moment when Anakin starts mercilessly slaughtering them as they beg for their lives. And we sympathize with them even though we know they're jerks, not because they're suddenly revealed to be decent guys.

The true Separatist heroes, the ones who are fighting for idealistic reasons, are all doing their thing off-screen. It's enough to know that they exist. "There are heroes on both sides" is flavor text meant to set the tone for the entire movie, which is about Anakin switching sides in the Jedi vs. Sith struggle for reasons that are, from his perspective, heroic. It's why the track that plays during the Mustafar duel is called "Battle of the Heroes."

The movie isn't really specifically about heroic Separatists, it's just one part of the equation to consider. The heroic Separatists don't show up until the next movie (episodically speaking), which begins the portion of the story which is told from the perspective of the rebels against the establishment, rather than the other way around.

The prequels are basically that "Are We the Baddies?" sketch stretched out over 3 movies.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Davros1 posted:

II, I, III, Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues is the actual order

Where is Fate of Atlantis?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Kinda weird because they still have Temuera Morrison voicing Boba Fett.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

TWIST FIST posted:

feels kinda weird to see the battle droids so detailed. that one closeup at the beginning especially

For all their faults, Dice knows how to make a good looking game. They're the only people who have made a good looking digital Jabba. Even Ilm can't do that.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

homullus posted:

I am assuming you're not comparing a modern video game to 18-year old CGI -- what Jabba did ILM do recently?

They redid the special edition Jabba for the DVD release of the OT so around 2005 I think.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raF9wfPxir8
100% serious all the time yep.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

UmOk posted:

ANH: Death Star and X-wings = sperm and egg.

Torpedos and exhaust port = Penis and vagina.

At that speed will you be able to pull out in time?
:gizz:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Where did they get fireworks to shoot off on endor?

That was falling death star debris being blown up by xwings so the teddy hear picnic didn't get ruined.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

There better be actual booze at that goddamn cantina.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Collage poster is perfectly fine if it's actually painted, which it probably won't be.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

RedSpider posted:

I guarantee you Disney executives watched the Plinkett reviews before making Star Wars films

Then where were the pizza roles?
:colbert:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeG215-yu-k

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Does this mean Luke is evil? :ohdear:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

UmOk posted:

Yeah I don't think this post is honest. I don't even think there were toys until the year after Starp Wans was released.

They convinced kids to buy an empty box! It's always been about merchandising.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Judakel posted:

If they don't get Ewan McGregor for this dumb movie then that just seems like they're trying too hard to distance themselves from those awful prequels. Ewan is a fine actor.

They brought back Jimmy Smitts I can't think of a reason Ewan wouldn't be back other than some kind of scheduling conflict.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Timby posted:

They'll cast Cumberbatch and the Internet will lose its poo poo.

And the director will insist he isn't playing Kenobi but then it turns out he is.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
If the movie is more about Jabba's Palace people, I want a behind the music documentary style movie about the Max Rebo band. Droopy McCool and his jizz wailing friends deserve the spotlight.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Would have been cool if they made it clear what Von Sydow's character does or even who he is anywhere in the movie.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Ferrinus posted:

Snoke is even bigger IRL than he is in hologram and Rey has to dodge roll around his feet, avoiding his gigantic lightsaber, while slicing at his ankles.

Why not just use harpoons and tow cables?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Would Whedon really come back after his falling out with Disney/Marvel over Avengers 2?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Vinylshadow posted:

That'd be the Aggressive ReConnaissance-170 starfighter

Clearly, we need less wings, since we've gone from six to four

Next logical step would be two, correct?

Yet the two-winged Z-95 Headhunter was already in TCW, so we need either one-winged or wingless designs

Compromise 3 wings.

Ripping off Battlestar would be perfect. It's like poetry :v:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Do we know if tickets will go on sale after the trailer is released Monday like they were for The Force Awakens?
Need to make sure I get good seats for the marathon.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Droids are people Ron! This is absolutely sickening.
https://twitter.com/realronhoward/status/916432145656221696

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Got in and out before the site crashed

Good luck nerds

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

MonsieurChoc posted:

You guys are seriously buying movie tickets a month in advance? Holy poo poo.

The atmosphere you get on opening night at a Star Wars movie is a lot of fun and worth buying early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I don't think we're going to cross that point threshold guys.

• Locked thread