Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AfroLine posted:

Midnight showing at downtown Disney is going to be great but parking not so much!!!!

I love the redesigned Downtown Disney Disney Springs, but only once I've parked. drat, does parking ever suck there.

But they have a vaguely Indiana Jones themed bar there now, called Jock Lindsey's Hanger Bar, and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

computer parts posted:

It's pretty simple logic really. Guy loves his wife, guy gets a vision about his wife dying (and his previous one about his mom dying came true), guy learns that the Sith have the ability to save people from dying, guy finds out his boss is going to kill the only Sith left in the galaxy.

A ton of people would at least consider stopping the Sith lord from dying, especially when the executioner is himself violating the law.

I think the bigger problem here is that Anakin goes from "No, you can't murder him, it's wrong!" to, himself, murdering children like...minutes later.

I think people were expecting the turn to be more gradual than that. But it seems to be an on/off switch.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GonSmithe posted:

I was actually just coming in here to say thanks everyone for being so good about this, this thread is really good.

Thanks, everyone.

Unless SMG posts something.

Not that it's his fault. I doubt he bought himself that avatar. But anyone who wants to stay spoiler free should turn avatars off for now.

I don't care, I go to the spoiler thread. But a warning to others, I guess.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sure hope anyone who cares saw my post and turned off avatars.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CJ posted:

Do you think they will pull a Wizard of Oz and he'll turn out to be like a little ant man? There has to be some gimmick to him being a giant hologram.

Snoke talk.
To be fair, before ROTJ, you could have said the same thing about the Emperor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

urseus posted:

Fantastic movie. Few things.

Han knows Kenobi for an hour. Leia never meets him. Let's name our son after him? Works for Luke's son, less so Hans son.

Eh, it works for me. Obi-Wan Kenobi was an important person to both of them, especially as a couple. They would have never met if not for him, and Leia would be dead. Granted, the same could be said about Luke, but since he's still alive, I can see paying tribute to this nice old man who died to save both of them.

...come to think of it, it would have actually been pretty funny if they'd named him Luke (for the purposes of this movie). Imagine Kylo's real name is Luke (and I guess you cut the scene where he takes his mask off in front of Rey, which you shouldn't do, but go with me), and when Han comes out onto the catwalk, he screams the name "Luke!" instead. Everyone who thought Kylo was Luke Skywalker would have lost their poo poo. Then Han would say, "...the face of my son." And people would have been really confused.

I mean, thank God they didn't do that, just funny to think about.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I actually really enjoy the score to this, too, though I see a lot of people saying it was boring. Rey's Theme is great (probably the highlight), and I've found myself humming (could be considered a spoiler) The Jedi Steps (the theme used right before the credits). March of the Resistance is fun too.

I've listened to it a few times, and I enjoy it more each time. It doesn't have a Duel of the Fates, but neither do most of the Star Wars soundtracks (outside of ESB, obviously), and Rey's Theme, while lighter fare, comes close to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Lol all you people saying Kylo Ren was a better villain than Vader are insane, he was a whiny little bitch

If you don't find it brilliant that the villain in the new Star Wars movie was filled with self doubt about how he'll never be as good as Darth Vader, when the entire audience going in was thinking the same thing, then I don't even know what to say.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Obama 2012 posted:

Unrelated: With the EU in the dumpster, is there any 'official explanation' for how Luke's old lightsaber made it from Bespin all the way into Rey's hot little hand?

Not yet.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Steve2911 posted:

Huh, I never really though about what happened to Luke's other trainees. Surely if Kylo turned them we'd have seen them with the First Order at some point?

Maybe they each have their own little Irish island to stand on.

Snoke does mention Kylo's The Knights of Ren, so Kylo has some other group out there, and I feel we're supposed to assume they're Force users as well. We just don't see them in this movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Surlaw posted:

I think my favorite thing in the film is Ren and Rey both being big goony Star Wars fans, but while Ren can never completely let go of his knockoff Sith helmet and saber, Rey abandons her Original Edition X-Wing Pilot Helmet and Rebel Pilot doll and moves out of the dead horse AT-AT and starts to grow up. She's not quite there yet, but she's on her way.

I don't know about that, by the end she's progressed to stalking celebrities where they've been hiding away from the public eye. She may be regressing.

quote:

dead horse AT-AT

This, however, as someone else mentioned, is good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

edit: Dammit. ^^^

Neurolimal posted:

I'm not in a position to make a huge effortpost atm, but I should point out:

The book people are using to call Ren's lightsaber broken refers to the setup as an "ancient sith design". This suggests to me that it's less a broken attempt to look cool, and more that it's a design to stabilize broken crystals (for example, to be used by Sith resistance when Jedi control working, not salvaged crystals). Seeing as the only other saber in the film is Luke's, its possible that functional, perfect crystals simply no longer exist.

Also, people have theorized, based on the map of the galaxy that was released, that Starkiller Base was actually made out of the planet lightsaber crystals were harvested (mined?) from. So in making the base, the galaxy also may have lost it's source of crystals.

We may have just seen the last two lightsabers in the galaxy.

Or, I dunno, there's probably more Jedi or Sith out there with some.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

beejay posted:

Is this Illum and lightsaber crystals junk actually important or is it EU

It's come up on the cartoon shows, I'm pretty sure, which are canon. But for the movies, nah, they're not actually important. Or at least, not as important as the concept of making the lightsaber in the first place. Just interesting flavor.

They've never once been mentioned in one of the 7 episodic movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely wonder why they didn't blow up Coruscant. A lot of people seem to have assumed it was Coruscant anyway and blowing up Coruscant would have at least given it somewhat of a cheap emotional thrill for the place you recognize being nuked.

It's likely because they want to use it for the future, but I heard one podcast theorizing that, if JJ had blown up Coruscant, people would have read that as the largest refutation of the prequels yet. "He blew up the most major planet from the prequels! He's wiping out the prequels" or whatever. And that maybe he wanted to avoid that (as this movie avoided almost everything from the prequels), because it would probably have been one of the main topics of conversation.

An interesting thought, but it's probably because they have plans for Coruscant in futures movies or books.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I think skipping all of those details is one of the reason it feels so much "like Star Wars". It's a new trilogy, so like Episode IV, we join in the middle of things. In media res. One of my co-workers said he was struggling with TFA because he feels like this should have been "the next movie", but that he needed this movie to cover all of the stuff they just mention in between. And I told him that, just like Episode IV has us join a galaxy already at war for reasons we don't understand, we rejoin it in the middle of a new war, with new stories already underway. Asking for answers to what brought us to this point brings us to a place where we demand the prequels.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As you can see from the varied responses, it's one of those things that's not conveyed very effectively.

If this is true, then considering how you've been arguing what the meaning of scenes and themes in the prequels are for literally years in this thread, wouldn't that also mean the prequels didn't convey things effectively?

I'm not saying it's true. But I don't like your implication here that debate about the meaning of a scene suddenly, in this case, means the scene wasn't well done or didn't convey a message well. Varied opinions and ways of seeing a scene is kind of what we do here.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Raxivace posted:

I finished reading that EU book Lost Stars today. It ends with this specific Star Destroyer crashing into Jakku.

The book is better than The Force Awakens.

Well, it ends with A Star Destroyer crashing into Jakku. There may be more.

But it's probably this one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I said come in! posted:

Speaking of, what was Luke always talking about when he said he wanted to join the academy. What was this academy he was speaking of? I doubt you needed to submit an application to join the rebel alliance.

Imperial Academy. He was going to be, I assume, a TIE Fighter pilot. But (at least according to a deleted scene), the plan was to use that as a jumping off point for deserting and joining the Rebel Alliance, like Biggs did.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Terry Grunthouse posted:

Interesting note:

In the Force Awakens blu-ray, they have added a shot between Takodana and D'Qar. In the theatrical release, there was a just wipe to show the transition between planets, which caused some confusion because both planets looked so similar that it was unclear they had even switched planets. In the blu-ray release, they've added a shot of the x-wings, millennium falcon and that other ship flying from Takodana to D'Qar to clear up the confusion.

I might be crazy, but I remember a shot of the Falcon, a bunch of X-Wings, and that ship Leia was on leaving hyperspace and approaching D'Qar. Was that somewhere else?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

computer parts posted:

There's a shot of them approaching a planet with an asteroid belt, but I don't remember when that is.

Yeah, this shot.

Is this not between them leaving Takodana and arriving at D'Qar?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Guiness13 posted:

Yeah, this shot was in the theatrical version between Takodana and D'Qar.

So what is Terry Grunthouse saying is going to be input for the BluRay release?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

net cafe scandal posted:

I dont think its a great movie, but looking at these gifs, it sure is gorgeous in a way that didnt fully translate in the theater.

See, this part I don't really get. The pretty images you're seeing here were right there in the theater. Fast editing can be confusing at times, but everything in these gifs was right in front of your eyes when you saw the movie. Nothing posted yet has made me say, "Where was that in the movie?" I can see if someone saw it in 3D, and as a result it was darker, or the 3D was distracting or something, but that's more of a knock against seeing movies in 3D (don't see movies in 3D, it's dumb), not the movie itself.

I walked out of the movie with some incredible images I couldn't get out of my head. A lot of them have since been posted in this thread, but there's more. (There's one shot I love of when Kylo Force pulls the Imperial Officer to him after he tells him about the "girl", with Kylo on the left and the officer on the right. I loved it.)

It's like the conversation from a few pages ago, about how people thought they inserted a shot of ships arriving at D'Qar to explain they went to a new planet. That was there in the theater. How did people miss things happening in this movie?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

computer parts posted:

But enough about Age of Ultron.

JJ's style of editing in this film is literally "blink and you'll miss it". The other thing is that the Rebel base geographically could fit in on Maz's planet no problem. This isn't true with Yavin IV, as the previous planets were either deserts or mechanical.

If you wanted to make the TFA base distinct, use a different geography. Like Dantooine in KOTOR for example:

I don't disagree that the two planets are similar, but the shot of them arriving at a new planet lasts a full 7 seconds. You'd have to keep your eyes closed for 7 seconds to miss it while blinking.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

wyoming posted:

As you said, fast editing. Everything that happens is obfuscated, for effect.
https://zippy.gfycat.com/TinyFluffyAmurstarfish.webm

net cafe scandal posted:

You said it yourself dude, the movie was edited in such a way that it felt overwhelming. It's a lot easier to take in the visuals divorced from the dizziness of the actual movie.

Agree to disagree then, it all seemed pretty clear and easy to follow to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

net cafe scandal posted:

Easy to follow, sure, but not at all memorable.

There's nothing to really say in response to this, other than it was memorable to me. Sorry it didn't work for you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

homullus posted:

You've been saying this for a long time, "oh boy you guys, I sure would show you all the cool stuff in the cantina if I could." Movie's out now, right? Let's see what was so great about the cantina.

The movie is only out via :filez: so far. It's not out for purchase until next month.

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” Just Leaked Online

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Toilet Mouth posted:

Rey, Finn, and Han's story doesn't unfold any differently if Kylo Ren is just holding her in his garage instead of the Starkiller Base.

Does the Resistance, in this scenario, also blow up Kylo's garage? If so, why? Because the final scene, with the Starkiller Base breaking apart, determines how that last fight ends.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cnut the Great posted:

Another ANH/TFA side-by-side comparison video:

https://vimeo.com/160263943

I must be bad at this, because I actually enjoy the shots from TFA more in this comparison, for the most part. And I'm not going to be able to point out why or explain myself all that well, so apologies ahead of time. But I love how much more the camera moves in The Force Awakens. There's such an energy to it, it engages me.

Granted, I fully acknowledge that part of this is likely because of how many times I've watched ANH, so TFA is like a fresh coat of paint. But that doesn't change how I keep finding my eyes drawn to the right side of the screen.

I'm probably going to regret this, but here's an example (not of the movement, but of a comparison I like better).

Again, I'm not nearly film literate enough to be able to explain this properly, but the shot on the right if so much more interesting to me. The color, the position of the figures, the costuming and props, etc. I love that shot on the right, so much so that it probably wasn't even the right shots for them to compare in the video. I want to frame the shot on the right and put it on a wall, while the shot on the left is like, "Yup, they sure are walking towards that hut."

I should note this isn't true for the whole video. The trench run from ANH is easily far more interesting and engaging than it's equivalent in TFA.

Meh, the heart wants what the heart wants.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TFA is out to purchase for digital download today.

Deleted scenes are mostly pointless, but that's how they usually go. My favorite one is where Han, Chewy, Finn, and Maz are confronted by Stormtroopers, and Han makes fun of Snoke's name.

Watching the BTS featurette now. It's over an hour long.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

The Amazon Digital Download is in a fairly ridiculous format which I'm guessing is how they usually handle these things. It's a single 4 Hour and 17 minute video file, with the movie first, followed by the documentary and then all the other shorter special features.

That's weird. The iTunes download is basically a DVD menu.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

hhhat posted:

I mean yeah if you think about it

Star wars the movies has always been about the Skywalker family so of course he abandoned her to protect her from Vader Jr. And maybe Ming the merciless was hanging around to keep an eye on her.

He wasn't doing a very good job, considering she has to literally scavenge for parts in order to not starve to death.

I like the "she's Luke's daughter" theory, but it has problems. Mainly that it's a serious dick move for Luke to pull on his own daughter.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

He sent her away to protect her and make sure she never becomes a jedi. That's not so dickish.

I have to think there are better places to send her to than a dessert wasteland where she has to fend for herself, as a child.

jivjov posted:

I don't think Rey is Luke's daughter, but for the sake of argument:

After what happened to the previous class of Jedi trainees, Luke may very well believe that it's safer for Rey to be as far away from him as possible. Maybe she was supposed to be in a better situation on Jakku but ended up with Plutt instead?

I mean, maybe, but the shot of young Rey we see in the vision seems to at least imply she was immediately left with Plutt.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

We don't know if it was Lukes choice to maroon her with Simon Pegg.

True, I'm just going with what I know in the movie. If she's Luke's daughter, the most likely scenario is that he put her into hiding on Jakku.

I'm not ruling out we learn something new in the future. I just don't know that thing now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Anti-Citizen posted:

But we do know Chewie's dad:confused:

Hell, we know what he masturbates to.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The thing is, though, Kathleen Kennedy said that the numbered Episode movies are about the Skywalker family. I guess technically that's true if you just have Kylo Ren, but it certainly implies, to me, that she wasn't just talking about the villain.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zoran posted:

In Rey's vision she is about to be killed by a masked figure when Kylo Ren rescues her, then she stares at Kylo standing in a field of bodies—most likely Luke's students, killed while he was away. If I had to put money on it, I'd guess that Kylo was supposed to kill her when he attacked the academy, but instead he spared his cousin. He may not have wanted to murder one of Anakin's heirs, even if he despised her for displacing him from the Skywalker succession. He took Rey and dumped her on that backwater shithole Jakku, but he told his First Order friends that he totally iced the girl. This would neatly wrap up a whole bunch of issues.

Rey gets left with Unkar Plutt instead of a responsible adult because the family that abandoned her (and notice it's "family," never "parents," that Rey is waiting for) was her evil cousin. At five years old or so, she's too young to fully understand what has happened, and she takes him at his word when he says he and the rest of her family will come back for her one day. She may not yet have learned her parents' names, only thinking of them as "mother" and "father." Kylo might also have messed with her memories to make her forget her parents' names and possibly even her own. That way, she doesn't go blabbing to everyone about who she is.

Luke and Rey's mom don't go looking for her because they believe she's dead. Losing his only daughter at the hand of his nephew drives Luke into terrible depression, explaining why he considered himself a failure and gave up on training new Jedi. That's a difficult plot development to swallow, given Luke's characterization and the place he was at by the end of RotJ, so it's stronger if the loss he feels is as personal and as devastating as possible.

Han, Leia, and Chewie don't recognize Rey because they know that Luke's daughter died when she was a little girl—but I think Han and Leia eventually come to suspect something is up. (Maz to Han: "Who's the girl?" <immediate cut away>; Leia sends Rey and not herself to find her brother and get him to come home.)

This is all very good, and is what I'm going with, for now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

hhhat posted:

Eh I'm not sold on it but keep an eye on her like the way Ben kept an eye on Luke. Like just barely. Someone had her hand when her family flew off.

Pretty sure that was Unkar Plutt.

And Luke didn't just have Ben watching over him, he also had Owen and Beru. Who took way better care of him than Plutt seems to have taken care of Rey.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Improviser posted:

This looks pretty cool actually. My biggest concern about this is watching a Star Wars movie without a John Williams score. That just seems wrong. Even with another composer incorporating William's themes into the score.

If it helps, the composer, Alexandre Desplat, has some experience taking over a series started by John Williams. He scored the final two Harry Potter movies. (And a bunch of other great scores, we'll be fine.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah but going out of your way to say, SEE, LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE AND INCLUSIVE WE ARE! Kind of ruins it, instead of letting it be what it is, they have to harp on it.

I don't think they're harping on anything. They're praising it, saying that it's pretty great.

Like, someone saying, "Good on the trailer for treating female characters better than usual" is nothing to get upset about.

Is it specifically referencing the test that has you upset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Robutt posted:

Yeah that was my exact thought. Really liked the trailer looking forward to the movie but where are all the aliens? You'd think there'd be room for one loving alien in an ensemble. Space racists

You have to remember what the Rebellion looked like during the time of A New Hope. Outside of Tatooine, there weren't a lot of aliens in ANH. When we met the Rebellion, it was largely (to borrow a phrase from a different franchise) a homo-sapiens only club. It wasn't really until Return of the Jedi that we started seeing aliens as members (outside of Chewie in Empire).

What the "in-universe" reasons for that might be, I don't know. But if you're depicting the Rebellion at the time of the Battle of Yavin, showing a bunch of aliens would have us believe that, in A New Hope, they were, I don't know, all in another room or something.

• Locked thread