Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

littleorv posted:

Gonna start off this bad thread with a bad post.

I have a gigantic gay crush on Kurapika's voice.

Having a gigantic (gay or not) crush on Miyuki Sawashiro is pretty standard practice for anyone familiar enough to recognize some of her roles, taking into account that she has an unusually cute voice, even when she's using the foulest language and denying your existence or trying to sound cool and mistaking your nationality based on looks. :3:

Regarding Hunter x Hunter, I like pretty much all of it and it's one of my favorite comics / shows ever. If forced to select a favorite, it's either Yorknew City or the Election Arc. Leorio giving Ging the finger and people getting fed up with Papa Freecs' bullshit was the best. The characters just grow into you and knowing that there's more to them than their typical archetypes speaks a ton about how good Togashi is at getting you invested with both characters and setting. YuYu Hakusho was equally great.

I do kinda wish Togashi or somebody at Shueisha would just come forward and give us the skinny with regards to all the hiatuses. Wouldn't being on Jump Next (Which is published like 4 times a year) or Ultra Jump would be better suited if he finds the Weekly grind bullshit too tiresome?

I remember when I saw the schedule the dude who did Nurarihyon no Mago and I thought that it was hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

tfw you realize what Pariston's

An awesome rear end in a top hat voiced by Ryu Beelzebub the 3rd Hiroki Takahashi.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

His full name is Pariston Hill and once you get what the joke with the name is you can't unsee it :twisted:

Paris Hilton immediately redeemed on account of inspiring a cool character.

Clarste posted:

He shows up on the boat only to die, like Pokkle.

No loving way. Is that what happened? It's been a helluva long time and bald ninja dude was a legit cool guy. But then again, so was Gotoh. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

YggiDee posted:

Speaking of Meleoron, God's Alibi and God's Accomplice are amazing superpower names. I love all the bizarre nen powers everyone comes up with (Knuckle: defeating his foes with the power of compound interest), or using fairly straightforward ones in clever ways. Like, how much mileage does Hisoka get out of friggin' Bungee Gum?

Weren't Hisoka's arms at one point severed and he just improv'd a temporary solution until Machi (I think it was her) sew his arms back on?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Ghost posted:

Besides, Gon doesn't care about Ging too much after meeting him.

It was all but spelled out, actually. I remember he was all "Neat, I got to meet my dad. I mean, I don't give a gently caress about the guy, but it was cool" before going back with the one person he actually seems to give two flying fucks about and then she dumps a bunch of books on his rear end so he can catch up with all the poo poo he neglected to do fun poo poo.

e: grammar.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 23, 2015

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jorghnassen posted:

So, I caught up a few years back sometime after the end of the Chimera Ant arc, did they finish the one after? I can't remember much of the beginning, as it went on hiatus again at that point (I do love the thread title). In the meantime, Naruto finally ended, and Bleach continues on... Anyway, if that arc is finished, is the manga also done?

The manga is currently on Hiatus (hence the thread title ;)), and while the "fallout" of the Chimera Ants arc is done, Togashi did a couple of chapters last year that were basically the beginning of an arc Starring Leorio and Kurapika.

e: dang! :argh:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 27, 2015

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:yeah:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NecroMonster posted:

I'm actually suspicious that the deception poo poo is just something he does for fun against his lessors. And we've never seen Hisoka "punch above his weight" in the slightest, in fact he's never had a fight were he wasn't just clowning on the other person in the whole series.

I think the only person that Hisoka has encountered that could potentially wreck his poo poo, no questions asked, is probably Bisky.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

He basically achieved a sort of enlightenment and became a buddha

Let's not kid ourselves here: Old man Netero was more Asura than Buddha. :black101:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alder posted:

I had no idea he was that old.

Also is Leorio really an teenager? Maybe they meant he was 18-19 since technically you'd need at least 21 for medical school.

Wait does anyone go to school in their world?!

Leorio is 19 at the beginning and I think he's 22 by the time of the Election Arc. Bisky is pushing 60 :ssh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'know, despite being super dorky, I think I prefer Nen chat to Nasu/Type-Moon power levels minutiae.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

It's ok, because along the journey he realized he was too.

Leorio is the only good person in the entire manga.

The nicest dude in the entire manga enjoys swearing like a goddamn sailor, boozing, womanizing and jacking-off in public.

And he will go the distance and punch your lovely dad so said lovely dad knows what's up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8QOS2cWTWw

:3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
On his journey to meet his dad, Gon met a dude willing to punch the poo poo out of his dad for being an irredeemable shithead, a dude willing to put his life on the line for the sake of bringing him back from the dead A VERY BAD COMA, and a dude willing to postpone his desire for vengeance in order for Gon to not get killed.

poo poo, I'd make them same journey just for the sake of meeting :3: Leorio :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bleach should've legit ended with Aizen going down. The series already had a ton of problems, but Aizen's defeat would've made for a fairly strong finale. Imagine: The guy who, after countless times of having made a fool out of everyone, now finds himself going down screaming at his fate, furious and despairing that two guys he thought "beneath him" kicked his rear end + imprisoned him.

Alas, it did not end there.

In non-Bleach related things, HxH returns next week, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kild posted:

And about half its dangling plot points would've been left unanswered.
I stopped following Bleach right after Hueco Mundo arc ended and I'm betting that said plot points were not addressed in any satisfying way. Hell, Araki constantly made stuff up to make amends for his (self-admitted) forgetfulness and for the most part, JoJo is still cruising along doing fine and dandy after 30 years now. Hell, Steel Ball Run and JoJoLion are incredibly solid and, it wouldn't be all that unwise to claim that they're deffo the best JoJo arcs, not just because they're the most recent ones.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Gon is a sociopath. Sure, he's a weird kid, but as far as weird kids go, he's got nothing on the Zoldycks. He's just kind of poor at dealing with situations he's got no time to assess or, when he does know what's up, deals with things as he sees fit in an (admittedly) extreme fashion. For example, the fight with the bomber is scary as gently caress, not only because of the circumstances that Gon is willing to put himself through to defeat the guy, but because the bomber himself is getting psyched, like "Is this kid out of his loving mind. HOLY poo poo, THAT WAS HIS HAND! WHY THE gently caress IS HE STILL GOING? I JUST BLEW HIS loving HAND". And before he knew it, he's on the receiving end of an rear end-beating.

So, while Gon might be a strange little bugger, I don't think this alone qualifies him as a sociopath.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't know Hisoka was a butt-boy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The only 3 people walking away from this alive are probably going to be Hisoka, Leorio and Kurapica (maybe Ging and Pariston), and that's only because of MC clause.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

Loads of people will survive for Christ sake.
I was referring more to the "Walking away from this" meaning "Once the Dark Continent trip itself finishes". Should've been more specific. :blush:

Tunicate posted:

Ironically the dark continent is only dangerous to people with Nen, and nobody ever tried bringing a total normie before.
Wouldn't that mean that the Kakin Royal Family is in even more danger since all the princes + the king have their Nen Fiends? I mean, sure, they're all actively trying to kill each other, so par for the course, but if Nen and the Dark Continent do not mix, then I'm guessing that puts them in as much a precarious a situation as the more experienced hunters.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He fell in a coma after the Yorknew City arc due to using Emperor Time to snuff Uvo and Pakunoda / Cripple Chrollo, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Knuckle is the type of dork that thinks a partly-stuttered pun is a RIGHTEOUS name for a nen-based ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ2qJOU8FPc

Knuckle is the best. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:stare: Holy poo poo. What the gently caress. That's... holy poo poo. :stonklol:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TriffTshngo posted:

Tserriednich is probably the most objectively evil out of all the main antagonists so far, at least in terms of how each of them treats killing people.

Hisoka has no qualms killing innocents or bystanders, or those who get in his way, but he doesn't actively seek it out. He just wants to get his rocks off with a good fight.
Didn't Hisoka say that he's done dancing to other people's beat as far as fighting goes? He did incapacitate 1 / kill 2 Spiders with almost zero effort when their guards were (ostensibly) down. Tserriednich might be an unrepentant rear end in a top hat, but I do think that our boy Hisoka's still probably going to maim any Kakin poser with utmost ease.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's less that he's not going against strong opponents anymore and more... I dunno, it seemed like he was done just playing with his prey? Which he did a bunch with the MC's at respective points.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I really dig the whole way Meruem was dealt with due to the fact that, despite being so hideously powerful that even one the strongest Hunters / Nen-Users alive went down with relative ease from his perspective, he gets killed in such a "mundane" (still loving horrifying if you think about it, though) way that it makes you think what Togashi was trying to say something like: "Yeah, Cell/Majin Buu would totally get killed by a nuke or the radioactive poisoning of one in a more realistic setting. How about them apples?".

Additionally, the fact that they mentioned that a poo poo-ton of countries are stockpiling a bucket-load of the loving things and that they're not all that shy about using them. :stare:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the worst we've seen was probably chrollo's indoor fish, but what could a genius dedicated to death and mutilation come up with?
Chrollo seems pretty on the ball when it comes to murdering.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

killing is a means to an end, for chrollo. he doesn't get off on killing or fighting. besides, if he really took pleasure in murder then why would he create a hatsu which requires keeping his targets alive?
Ah, right! Yeah, Chrollo is a hustler. It's just that when you said "A genius dedicated to death", I thought "Genius at killing people". I think that re-watching both of the John Wick films recently made me remember that Chrollo, aside from the Indoor Fish instance, mostly used pens, which in turn made me remember that whole "I once saw him kill three people with a pencil. A. loving. Pencil" and the reaction that Viggo's lawyer has to remembering that scene.

Man, Michael Nyqvist dying was such a bummer. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Biscuit on the level (or close enough) of the Zodiacs as far as abilities and accolades go? If Prince Serial Killer tried something funny, she'd probably laugh it off.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just want her to survive because the arc where she was an MC had the chillest ED :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHSnqQ-RFWA

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and because she rules. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:golfclap:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For all the supposed repetitiveness of the soundtrack, every time I heard Chain Bastard, I got PUMPED AS HELL. :black101:

e: I was Phone posting, but here's the link, just in case. This and Try your luck are so loving good at putting me in a good mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwg4T02cINg

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 6, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I remember this. It was like Kurapica's very own "AND THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM!" theme, except... y'know, more like "You're dropping dead. Right the gently caress now"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If my experience with reading Saiunkoku Monogatari (specifically the backstory) has taught me anything, succession wars for the right of a country's throne are seldom a clean and tidy affair. Togashi also seems to have a ton of opinions about a ton of things, so I'm guessing he's gonna portray this as ugly and unnecessarily messy as possible.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

frajaq posted:

Haha gently caress me I was expecting Camilla to be smart and clever and Benjamin the huge retard, what a turn-around
I didn't like that. Like, I don't mind that Benjamin turned out to be a guy who's willing to listen to reason, but Camilla reminded me of the Fortune Telling rich girl from the Yorknew arc (Neon, I think?) too much.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dude was in shambles. Isn't Kurapica basically running the Mafia Family he was employed by right now?

i don't think she is terribly similar to the fortune telling girl. camilla seems outraged that she is not an omnipotent deity who reigns over all existence. i'm not sure if she even realizes other people exist, aside from when they get in her way.
Yeah, you're right, they're not that similar. I mean, if we're honest, fortune-telling girl is more similar to Tserriednich (fascination with "beautiful" body parts and all). It's just the overall "Me me and me first, gently caress you" attitude. I know these are fictional characters, but knowing people that self-centered in real life sometimes sours you on fictional characters like said aforementioned people.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

The big difference between Neon and Cammy or Tserreidnich is that Neon, while a weird brat, had some actual empathy. Not a lot, admittedly, but some. When Squala (dog guy) died and her handmaid, his fiancee, was heartbroken, she was so sad she willingly left the auction instead of insisting on staying and stuff. She was super naive and not really good at caring about people in general, but she did care about some people. She was basically a really weird child. Cammy and Tserreidnich are complete monsters, meanwhile, and actively malicious rather than generally uncaring.

Also, I remember back when Benjamin was revealed and him killing lions with his bare hands was an "oh wow, he can do that without Nen?" moment. Turns out no, it was an early hint he does have Nen.
Yeah, you're right. Man, I should re-read / re-watch that arc. There's so much I'm misremembering and that arc is still among my favorite things about manga ever.

I remember reading one of the previous threads for HxH a little before I registered for SA and I recall that somebody perfectly described all the arcs and how the series plays around with the tropes we'd expect out of a certain type of arc. I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here, but despite all the hiatuses, Togashi is really good at this whole manga thing, you guys. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

e X posted:

Dangerous forbidden techniques that slowly kill you are the worst, because the heroes never have to suffer the consequences anyway.
Isn't the way Luffy uses gears slowly killing him? Or was that before Silvers Rayleigh trained him? :ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I loved that part where Gon did the standard Shounen upgrade and it loving threw him in a coma. Deku's constant self-crippling is also a weird thing.