Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

super nailgun posted:

One of them is definitely for sale. I'm in Portland though, so that's either a big road trip or an expensive freight bill :P

For reals? I live in eastern Washington and can pick it up myself. What do you want for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Horace posted:

They don't mind a bit of fire.

That poo poo don't got nothing on a Gameboy.

https://www.ripleys.com/weird-news/unstoppable-game-boy/

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

wa27 posted:

What is the line-drawing game they played at the end?

Don't know the game but if they were accurate in predicting the future that boy was screaming racial and homophobic slurs the whole time.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

I used to work first level tech support for an ISP from 2004 to 2005 that was almost exclusively dialup. The customer base was mostly rural people and the elderly. More than half of the calls were why they couldn't get the full 56k. We would start off with the usual "the FCC limits speeds to a maximum of 53k" and then TRY to explain that the farther you live out of town the harder it is to get a good signal just like TV and radio. I have only come across a true 56k dialup connection once in my life and that was with to a 4 foot analog phone cord to a PBX with a 6 foot T1 cable to a modem pool.

My ISDN story is that I got a not poo poo job in the telco biz and I got contract work installing polycom video tele-presence equipment for the department of homeland security in satellite offices. It used a like 6 or 8 channels of a T1 PRI to make data calls with public phone numbers to other polycoms. I guess ISDN was used instead of the internet was to keep it simple for the mouth breathers to to use. Every time I installed one and showed them how it worked some knuckle dragger would ask how to use it with their iphone because Apple just released face time. At first I gave them the real technical reason it wouldn't work (data calls aren't regular or internet phone calls) but then I would just say it was secure government network.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

The Bible posted:

Is it weird that I want one of these?

Only if you want to put a pop-tart in it like a kid who wants to feed a VCR a PB&J sandwich.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Bargearse posted:

Hmm that's a very good point but have you considered

My mouse is a hamburger. Your argument is invalid.

I see your burger mouse and raise you my novelty CocaCola land line phone mouse.
https://i.imgur.com/COl77rO.mp4
Your argument against invalidity is now invalid.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

r u ready to WALK posted:

Old operating systems are also archived at https://winworldpc.com/library/operating-systems but look up each model on https://everymac.com/systems/apple/index-apple-specs-applespec.html to check what the minimum and maximum version of macOS is

If you want something particularly dumb to do with the G5s you can install Morphos and become an amiga weirdo (https://www.morphos-team.net)

It's nice that there is now a maintained OS for my dumpster dived G5 imac since Linux dropped support for big endian PPC. Just doesn't seem worth 80 Euros though.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Drastic Actions posted:

I worked on something today that might be of interest to this thread. I wrote a little Web Server that proxies SA and rewrites its HTML into something less complex so older browsers can render it (and also proxies files and has SSL off :v:). Basically, it lets you access modern SA from old hardware.

The theme is based on the SA design from 2001, or at least what version of it was on the Internet Archive.

pngs don't work, but since I'm already proxying files I could convert them into something else.

Is there a new link or mirror to the proxy? It seems to have disappeared.

I might need it for...

...reasons...

...Not that something bad can happen from breaking the seal...

...The Pig and Lobster can't hurt us now...

...Did the banning happen or was it just a dream?...

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

No seriously. I just got that WebTV from eBay and I am going to do it.

http://turdinc.kicks-rear end.net/Msntv/WebTV-EMU/index.html

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Mantle posted:

I also kind of remember sometimes needing to reboot when a ps2 mouse or keyboard got unplugged. Was that a hardware or Windows thing? Or a me thing

I don't think if it was unplugged but wasn't plugged in after windows 9x booted because it would check on start up for a ps/2 device and if none was found it didn't bother checking again. I don't think Microsoft thought that regular PC users wouldn't reboot often or not need anything resembling more than a day of uptime. Probably why you had to reboot windows after setting a static IP and windows 9x would crash at 49.7 days on the dot.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there an easy way (i.e. adapter cable) to convert from CGA/EGA to VGA (or composite even)? I rescued a Leading Edge Model D, an ancient 8088 machine from the shredder today, and I'd like to get it going again, but it only outputs video over a 9-pin cable that I have to assume is CGA/EGA.

If you are not hard set on VGA there is CGA to HDMI.
https://texelec.com/product/rgbtohdmi-ttl/

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There really should be a Tech Relics BBS

Calling (509) 295-8085 @ 300 baud 8N1 bell 103 protocol will make all your goon BBS dreams come true.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Dip Viscous posted:

this is ascii art goatse isn't it

There is only one way to find out.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

I am going to give some props to Dip Viscous. They nailed it. It's goaste ascii art that is replayed from a PBX voicemail auto attendant prompt.
It's a number I own to give to sales clowns who can't get a clue to gently caress off.

pretend dailup:
code:
* g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x *
g                                               g  
o /     \             \            /    \       o
a|       |             \          |      |      a
t|       `.             |         |       :     t
s`        |             |        \|       |     s
e \       | /       /  \\\   --__ \\       :    e
x  \      \/   _--~~          ~--__| \     |    x  
*   \      \_-~                    ~-_\    |    *
g    \_     \        _.--------.______\|   |    g
o      \     \______// _ ___ _ (_(__>  \   |    o
a       \   .  C ___)  ______ (_(____>  |  /    a
t       /\ |   C ____)/      \ (_____>  |_/     t
s      / /\|   C_____)       |  (___>   /  \    s
e     |   (   _C_____)\______/  // _/ /     \   e
x     |    \  |__   \\_________// (__/       |  x
*    | \    \____)   `----   --'             |  *
g    |  \_          ___\       /_          _/ | g
o   |              /    |     |  \            | o
a   |             |    /       \  \           | a
t   |          / /    |         |  \           |t
s   |         / /      \__/\___/    |          |s
e  |           /        |    |       |         |e
x  |          |         |    |       |         |x
* g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x *

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Take it away Joe!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nHjCWl_Xg&t=54s

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

I'm afraid Dave.

I'm afraid Dave.

I'm afraid I can't remember your ICQ number.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Submit your sales order before Zod!

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

I saved this from my employer dumpster chucking it two weeks ago. They weren't even going to e-waste it.

It's a Nortel MG-1010 PBX that got replaced by an all software IP system after a merger.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Imagine being as stoked as these guys that a technology you own now longer functions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llYpxZ-YSN4

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

I attempted to make dialup suck a little less with some ppp multilink. I remember in the bad old days if you couldn't afford or get access to ISDN your only option for more that 56k was to get two modems, two phone lines and two dialup accounts for more speed. Fortunately the retro collectors haven't got into telephony yet so for cheap I got 16 56k modems dialing into a voice gateway that binds the POTS lines onto a T1 for the ultimate in dialup speed.

The other end is a Cisco 2811 with a digital modem bank.

The old v.92 bongs in unison.
https://i.imgur.com/yzdmdgD.mp4

Even at 815kbps the modern internet still sucks. I could double the link speed by just using the T1 but there is no stupid fun in that.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Mantle posted:

This is awesome. Is it possible to do something like have a modem connected to an ATA to dial into a VoIP service? Like could your setup host a 16 line BBS?

Some BBSs actually run off of VoIP. You aren't going to get a solid connection over 14400 but any decent BBS is built to be usable at lower speeds. There are carriers that provide a SIP trunk that will give you a number with multiple channels. Voip.ms and voipvoip.com are ones I've used that are modem friendly.

ymgve posted:

is it fault tolerant? could you snip a few phone wires and still keep on rolling?

It sure is.

I really should just make a longer video with a full explanation. Maybe even show ISDN BRI in action. :)

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

EoRaptor posted:

Back in my early days I did a whole bunch of testing of setups like this for a major telecom, before 56k was a thing.

The Windows ppp stack is poo poo, and you get rapidly diminishing returns on additional lines. You might be able to improve performance by clamping MTU down to 280

Do not get me started on how bad the mppp implementation on Linux was at the time. All the documentation talked about setting it up with only a few commands, but the fact that it only worked on ISDN modems and only for two channels wasn’t mentioned unless you read some really obscure mailing list archives or understood the code.

I absolutely noticed this and that I couldn't get any better performance with more than 6 modems. I though I did something wrong on the cisco side. I will give the MTU thing a shot.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Speaking of ROM chips, what is the easy way to dump things like BIOS chips and things like the above mentioned PROM? Ideally I'm looking for some manner of USB device that can dump the contents of chips out to a modern computer

I've recently come to discover that I might have a few ROM chips and the like that just arent dumped in the wild.

Chip-wise, things like this:

An xgecu should be able to dump them. You can check the compatibility list before you buy one. http://www.autoelectric.cn/en/download.html

I have a T56 and it works pretty well for dumping and programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

I've fallen down a rabbit hole after I acquired some telco gear that supports ISDN BRI interfaces.
I got this thing sort of working properly recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s29CHewGq-o

The next thing I'm working on is ISDN dialup internet.