Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I just let it go until I forget about it, then remember five hours later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I'm a huge Star Trek nerd, but CBS made their streaming service so viscerally unappealing that I waited for the DVDs for STD S1. I don't really see a reason not to do the same for S2.

gently caress you, CBS. I'm not going to pay to be advertised to.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

GutBomb posted:

That’s a weird line in the sand to be drawn. Magazines aren’t free and have ads. Many people pay for satellite or cable tv and nearly all of those channels have ads. Your internet isn’t free but it’s full of ads.

I don't buy magazines or cable/satellite service. Between uBlock Origin and PiHole, the first time I see an ad, it prompts me to hunt down the source and ensure I never see it again.

I honestly consider Amazon Prime Video less valuable because of the annoying pre-roll ads.

I'm very, very opposed to advertising.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

The benefit of a Model M is that you can crush the skulls of all the complainers with it and still type on it for a dozen more years. :black101:

My Model Ms pull double duty as data entry and home defense devices.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

For folks wondering, this is a Buick Reatta. I can confirm from experience that both screens still worked and the touchscreen interface was still as functional 25+ years later.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I really like what I see in the Frame.Work laptop, and the reviews from Right To Repair folks have been generally very positive. There are two reasons I haven't already bought one: I'd like a stronger video card and I don't really need another laptop right now. With Covid continuing, I'm not really traveling or working backstage, so my existing desktops suit my needs, with an iPad handling 95% of mobile needs.

The real test obviously will be how long they last as a company and how long they'll support old hardware. Personal taste is that four years is the effective minimum, but if they keep parts available (either exact or backwards-compatible) for five years or longer, that'd make me feel very happy with them.

I have a friend who needs to replace a broken Macbook, so I'm going to try to sell him on a new Frame.Work.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

I no-poo poo buy something like that. Moving desktops really sucks. Could do it in a couple trips with that.

Semi-related, I bought a couple of these computer tower carts last year for my desktops. They're width/depth (not height) adjustable, add a little bit of clearance off the ground (for airflow), and make moving things around for cleaning/wire rearraigning super easy. They're relatively cheap plastic & metal, but they're also practically invisible under the cases. All in all really happy with them and would buy them again for any new desktop towers I add to my daily use rotation.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

How much of those CDs did the data for AOL even take up? I don't see how a client for dialing up the internet could be anywhere near 700 megs back then.

AOL originally sent out a single 3.5" disk for their "Free X Hours!" (probably 5 to 15) promotions. Getting free, reusable 3.5" disks much cooler than free coasters. I don't recall the client changing that much over the practical lifetime of AOL.

Even assuming the move to CDs made them compress the client less, I'd be amazed if it used more than 15 megabytes. They could have put filler in the form of documents and music on the disc, but I don't recall anything. Remember, hard drives back then were small, too. You couldn't count on someone keeping the disc around, and asking them to put it back in after installing was probably a bridge to far.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

wait, what? the book?

That was my first thought too, and I couldn't even find a website for the book.

But no. It's a project called AIM Phoenix. And I can confirm that there's an actual goddamn Infowars scroller at the top of their Geocities-esque page. One of the actual entries was "Moneybomb Infowars 2022" or something.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

where does Atari expect me to source four dimensional batteries??

It doesn't matter where you get them, just make sure you don't take them on a plane.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

In my quest for getting older devices online, I got an old thing. New, and in box.

Hah, that brings back some memories. Mostly how HP hosed me on support so badly I haven't bought a single device from them since, and recommended friends and family stay away from them too. I've got grudges older than most of my computers at this point.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

imagine if you degaussed them all at once

A bnnnnnng to shake the heavens.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Carphones were originally possible because the antenna could be bigger ( it was just another metal stick on your roof/trunk) and more powerful (you didn't care if it was broadcasting at a couple of watts because it wasn't directly by your head/crotch). Reducing both antenna size and broadcast power cuts down range, so yea. In the same way mm5G can be a block-by-block proposition, basic cellular coverage could be considered that way in the early (and probably into the mid) 90s.

ETA: a page snipe with shameful coverage

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Many jobs previous, I was responsible for the company cellphone plan. We had a bunch of people working close enough to the Canadian border that they would frequently get a signal without realizing it. It was common enough that our rep would strike the international voice/data charges with a quick email; no phone call with support and an hour on hold required.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Looking back, it's a little surprising how often I had to use the trick for powering up an ATX power supply without a computer: use a paperclip to short the green wire to one of the black (ground) wires.

It's only 5 volts, so it's not dangerous to a human. However, a friend of mine was once doing this on a crowded desk right next to his laptop, and the paperclip came in contact with the metal underside of a PCMCIA card, and... well, it turns out 5 volts applied to the wrong place is sufficient to release magic blue smoke and kill a laptop stone dead.

This is an excellent way to ensure you take advantage of an extended warranty, BTW.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

There's also a 100-stack of blank CDs and probably the best major manufacturer keyboard from the early 2000s. 20 years ago that pic is pure envy.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

That was a good and compelling/informative CRD video. What a strange device that makes sense in the extremely strange context of the turn of the millennium.

Working with an editor earlier in the process, I can imagine a world where that was logically broken into two or three pieces. But having an editor with an eye towards smaller chunks might fundamentally change the nature of the documentaries themselves, and I don't know if that would be a good thing :shrug: CRD (and LGR, TechMoan, DnakPods, et cetera) all have a unique, strong voice that certainly feels like it's a direct function of the small size of their production team(s).

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

At the risk of curtailing the watch discussion before its time (pun fully intended), I saw https://shifthappens.site come up on Twitter tonight, and I think it's of interest to this thread as well.

Kickstarts in February. Hundreds of images on keyboards/typewriters of all stripes. Even a fun little "map the keyboard" minigame down the page a bit. I have no financial interest (beyond a plan to back the KS). I just think it's neat.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think that's just a camera angle/lighting thing. You can tell on the right speaker it's not very opaque.

Nah, look closely. The nearest speaker has a "Kenwood" logo on the bottom, the furthest-back doesn't. They definitely took the screen off to show off the cones.

My recollection is the screens were easily removable, so it doesn't bother me that much :shrug:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

If we're doing grey-beard dick-waggling, I couldn't play the Doom shareware because my machine only had 2 MB of RAM.

768 MB of storage of ANY kind would have been luxury unmatched.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

old bean factory posted:

I love sleeper builds. If I made one, I'd make the Turbo button do something crazy. Spit fire or something.

"Pat, why is your computer currently doing a wheelie? Why did you build wheels into your computer in the first place?"

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

If it were mine, I'd plan on wholesale replacing the power supply. After that, I'd take the drives out, both HDD and removable media. Then, a first pass with a hose probably won't make the situation worse. Scrub scrub scrub. And yea, last step is probably a bath in isopropyl alcohol (not India Pale Ale, like I first thought when I saw "IPA").

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Collisions are especially concerning in that specific media configuration.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I blame Ecco.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I blame Jonesy.

gently caress you, Shoresy.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Could be a weak cap or something on that individual board itself.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Best we can do is a lightswitch rave and a device with a boxing glove to hit you in the junk.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

People knew that children were evil and represented them as such, this knowledge has been lost over time

And the people that suppressed that knowledge?

All former children. Every loving one.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Also wonderful when you're working in a sound booth running video for live shows. Yeah backlights can orient you on where the keyboard is, but those Thinklights can let you see set-lists or scripts.

Only thing better would be if they had a red light option too.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

And that's assuming the receiving end isn't using a virtual fax service, that will just produce a PDF in their email or some shared inbox that get checked once a week or as-needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

LimaBiker posted:

Honestly, Winamp's mp3 encoder from version 2.69 sounded way better and is more authentic. But for true bubblyness you gotta go for Windows Media Player 7 and encode in 128kbps WMA

/s

If you aren't listening through a pair of Koss Porta-Pros or some off-white "Multimedia Speaker Systems", are you even really hearing music?