Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

darealkooky posted:

why isn't there a game that's just xcom but you play as gendo and you're in charge of nerv

do I have to start a kickstarter

you wouldn't be Gendo, Misato is the ground-level tactical genius who orchestrates basically every last-minute save in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

if i remember correctly the series was originally conceived of as having shinji and misato as co-main characters. that feeling kind of disappears by the time EoE rolls around, and in Rebuild it's obviously not the case, but i think it's a helpful lens for understanding the TV show

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Logicblade posted:

I don't think episode 1 Shinji would have literally jumped into the fire to save anyone's life...

Yeah he would have. Watch the very first scene where Gendo's trying to convince him to get in the robot. His father's approval is explicitly not enough to convince him at this point, in fact it just makes him mad. What actually prompts him to get in the robot?

"Well if you don't, we'll make this badly injured cute girl do it instead. Cough up some blood for the audience, Rei!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

there's a certain merit to comparing technical expertise between two creators working in the same medium but "does evangelion have more feels than kafka" sounds like an utterly sterile argument to me

the important thing is that if you like evangelion holy poo poo go read kafka, go read the metamorphosis, read the trial, do it

then maybe hook a left turn and read portrait of the artist as a young man

quote:

... I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race.

does that sound like anyone we know?

(well maybe not to first-time simulwatch viewers but you guys should go ahead and finish evangelion first)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zas posted:

it wasn't an argument, it was a single point of comparison, for the hyperbole pile, and the reason I brought him up in particular was cause he's a well known example of a canonic artistic figure famous for translating personal pain into fiction by using the language and devices of his time extremely adeptly, jeez give me a break

sorry i didn't mean that to be so confrontational, it's a bad habit of mine

on the contrary i was trying to say more that people shouldn't need to feel defensive about comparing anime to literature or film, go find those parallels, embrace them and embrace anything that lets you enjoy both works more deeply

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

darealkooky posted:

look at gendo helping the mooks pull those cables

who says he's a bad guy

it's one of my favorite images in the series

say what you will about Gendo he is nothing if not possessed of superhuman determination

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rebuild might have something for you. Maybe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

.jpg posted:

I'm not sure if she's aware of her origin at this point, is she?

Maybe not consciously, but there are a couple of scenes where Rei dreams or hallucinates about an "other Rei" which are suggestive, plus Rei III has Rei II's memories but at best struggles to find any emotional attachment to them, and at worst has none at all; it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to extend this to Rei II and Rei I.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I might revise my opinion when I watch it again but I always interpreted the Congratulations scene as as him being welcomed into the collective consciousness after working through his demons.

Listen to the dialogue in 25 and 26, it's all about defining yourself by limits and boundaries, going from nothingness to personhood and how that's hard and finally leading up to "maybe I could learn to love myself! which is where "Congratulations!" comes in. The only argument for it being accepting Instrumentality is if you assume that the meaning of Instrumentality directly reverses between the series ending and EoE.

(Indirect EoE spoilers) Instrumentality isn't about working through your demons, it's about abandoning the context where they matter; it's a shortcut dreamed up by tyrants and cowards. EoE is a total rejection of the notion that ego-death = enlightenment, which is a significant part of what makes Evangelion so good.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 24, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

They didn't run out of money, the early drafts of 25 & 26 were close to what the episodes ended up being, they were always intended to be like that.

It's neither of these things. They didn't run out of money, but they ran out of time, in a sense; the original drafts of 25 + 26 were basically a shorter but otherwise similar version of EoE, but they sent that to the censor and obviously it didn't fly, so they had to do something else on short notice.

e: The flip side of course is that Anno was constantly changing his mind about how to end the show, so in a sense this probably just gave him the perfect opportunity to try one of the other ideas.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 24, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That's interesting; the allusion suggests a less brazenly selfish side to SEELE than the way I've usually looked at it. I mean, it's a different story by a different author of course, but conversely I've always been a little puzzled by Keel Lorenz's contentment with Yui's version of Instrumentality coming into play.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Without diminishing what the show does to Asuka (or Shinji for that matter) the thing that really gets me is what happens to Rei. The girl who defined herself entirely by her relationship to others loses her ability to relate to them emotionally, then becomes fuel for a ritual the brings everyone else in the world together, but regardless of whether they choose to stay that way or not, there's no place for her on either side. The apparitions kind of suggest she becomes some kind of unseen observer outside of time, basically an echo of Yui's lonely vigil, except for Rei it's not really clear if it's by choice.

I still see the ending of the show as essentially hopeful, for reasons I've written on at length before, but man, Rei gets a raw deal.

At least Asuka dies doing what she loves.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It seems to deliberately attack the control centre twice and Ritsuko had reason to believe it was targeting her.

Remember that there's no distinction between Rei's soul and Lilith's, and also that (as per Asuka's mother) souls can be split, manifesting (at least in our sample size of one) as personality disorders in the split person. There's only one Rei, but her personal identity informed by memories and social relationships is progressively chipped away at and redefined as the series progresses.

Your theory's totally consistent with that, even if there's no direct evidence in the way there is with Yui or Asuka' mother.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 27, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Radio Spiricom posted:

tuxedo catfish had a good point in here or somewhere that if eva is all about the horror of the unknowable, then rebuild is the horror of revealed truth.

it started out as a joke in the PHIZ anime thread about "the internal being made external" re: Ramiel exploding in a shower of blood :v:

if i said "horror" i'm not sure i'd still stick by that, though. if i can borrow and abuse some literary terms for a moment, it's that NGE is Impressionist (focused on a single character's perception of events, story told largely through subtle associations and hidden links between characters and events, reality slightly distorted because the protagonist has an outsider's perspective) and Rebuild is Expressionist (the entire world is violently distorted to reflect emotional states, objective reality is completely abandoned in favor of individual perspective, nothing is hidden, the symbolic becomes literal)

(it's all a matter of degrees, though; NGE still has lots of stuff, most notably the Angels, that function as literal manifestations of the protagonists' emotions, and Rebuild is almost certainly setting up some stories that are only told by hints and associations.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 28, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Chickenfrogman posted:

I love Rebuild 2 and loving hate Rebuild 3. If 4 does something good with it I might reevaluate it though.

What do you like and hate about each?

(If you're worried about spoilers here I'd be happy to ask in the main Eva thread.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's worth rewatching. There's a lot of nuance to the ending of Rebuild 2 and then the dynamics of guilt in Rebuild 3, to the point where almost any snap judgment of either is going to be wrong -- to say nothing of the amount of missing information in 3 that 4 may or may not address.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The only time I love and hate a movie at the same time is if it has multiple thematic ideas and I find myself endorsing one and not the other. So, like, Horns or Gurren Lagann, maybe. EoE doesn't have that problem at all for me. Rebuild might, but I can't tell yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Uroboros posted:

So, I have been catching these Funimation pre-views for what I assume are Evangelion movies 3.33 and the like, and they honestly look really good, but I am not sure where I should start. My only previous experience with this series is the original show, which I enjoyed at first, but of course was not pleased with the ending, which I have gathered over time is common. Basically, Evangelion layman, looking for advice on what to watch or avoid.

Watch the TV series (you want the Director's Cut if possible), then End of Evangelion. The Rebuild movies are a retelling of the series that starts out similar and then ramps up the changes, and a huge part of what makes them tick is how they contrast with the TV series. They're definitely worth watching, and in theory you could start out with them and just watch them as their own story, but I wouldn't. (They're also incomplete, the fourth and final one is still a year or two out.)

• Locked thread