Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Julet Esqu posted:

A worthy goal.

Luann

No, you didn't have a huge fight. You acted snotty to him until he got sick of trying to communicate with you and left. A huge fight would have been a much better for your relationship.

And Bernice's "problems" are barely worth acknowledging.

I picture Delta looking her old friends up on Facebook and thinking "Thank God I got the hell out of that town."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Julet Esqu posted:

Speaking of comics writers who have no idea how their characters come off to readers...

Luann

Go gently caress yourself, Luann. At least Bernice has an actual problem, however milquetoast and white-girly it might be. You're just upset because other people's lives don't revolve around you.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Dolly just took an enormous poo poo.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Simian_Prime posted:

Overly negative way of looking at it. I always saw Hobbes' pouncing as like when a big, friendly dog jumps on you. It's rough, but there's no malice in it; he's just happy to see you!

Supposedly the pouncing was based on Watterson's cat.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

For gently caress's sake, Batiuk. iTunes's algorithm has noticed that a lot of people who like Robert Plant also like Emmylou Harris. Therefore, when you liked Robert Plant, it told you you might also like Emmylou Harris. It's playing the percentages.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I feel like this one strip contains everything you need to know about Peanuts.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

BSS.gif

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, in which Pete loses nerd cred.

gently caress you, Pete, you've got a complete set of Marvel Legends and you know it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

If this Luann plot was an E/N thread, everyone would be screaming at Quill to sever.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

LordPants posted:

He also had Hobbes write a story that got an A last arc iirc.

Further thinking too hard...

I know some things are potshots at real life things, I think he said avant-garde snow sculpture art comics are digs at newspaper strips, but I cant work out if this is a dig or if it is just regular ironic calvin joke stuff.

It's probably a dig at the comic strip industry as a whole, and especially his syndicate's relentless attempts to get him to merchandise Calvin & Hobbes.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Every time Funky Winkerbean switches plot gears, I think, "Great, back to these assholes."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The Sphinxster posted:

Hey, Tiff's socks make more sense today. Gunther is still insufferable.

I swear to God, if he utters the words "nice guy," I am going to find some way to reach into the strip and slap the living poo poo out of him.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

EasyEW posted:

And Now THIS poo poo Again

I really wish they made Mopey Pete and Darin dolls, because I desperately want to punch both of them in the face over that first panel.

Fun Fact: The Dreaded Deadline Doom came about after Stan stopped being editor-in-chief, largely because none of his replacements (they went through a lot until Jim Shooter came on) were interested in actually doing the job.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Today's Bloom County snuck up on us...and pushed us into the wood chipper.

That is not the correct meter for a sonnet. Shakespearean or Petrarchan.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh, like that's hard to do.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

99% sure Alfie is some sort of pet.

Luann

In fairness to Luann, that is how all my New York acquaintances look. I guess I'll concede that today's Luann, breaking with tradition, isn't the worst.

It's cancelled out by the loving retarded "Ecstacy" thing which is not something serious, professional theater people actually do.

(If it turns out she's in a terrible burlesque show, I will retract my comment.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Darkest Auer posted:

Jesus christ this is terrible, and it's only going to get worse, isn't it?

Imagine how it looks to someone who lives in New York.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Selachian posted:

As a former New Yorker, the idea of riding the subway and *then* taking a cab is utterly silly. There are very few places in Manhattan that aren't within easy walking distance of a subway stop. Unless this hot, hip club is out in Williamsburg, in which case have fun getting a cab after midnight!

If they're taking the subway 7 stops, it drat well might be in Williamsburg.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I do not trust that elephant to hold office.

Neither did the American public heyoooooooooooo

(Also, in Googling Woodrow Wilson just now, I was struck by his resemblance to Fred Gwynn.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Imagine the 'some gizmo!' strips Watterson would have turned out in the tablet age.

Honestly, he'd probably have done some pretty perceptive strips about "free-to-play" mobile games.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

RandomFerret posted:

Charlez Schultz was a whiny baby. When Lynn was planning to kill off the dog in Foob because all the other characters had been aging in real time and it didn't make sense for a sheepdog to still be around after 20 years, he wrote her a letter threatening to kill off Snoopy that same week just to overshadow it.

He was the Brooke of his day.

You take every word of that back.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Isn't Hil Forth in middle school? Are finals in middle school a thing now?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Well, this storyline just got relevant again, didn't it?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Shugojin posted:

I still don't understand how every single attempt at ripping off the Far Side manages to be so bad. You'd think at least one would have managed to get it right from the sheer number of attempts.

Because Gary Larsen was being himself, whereas the ripoff artists are trying, and failing, to be Gary Larsen.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

WickedHate posted:

In today's pulse pounding action thrillride, Spider-Man is thwarted by a dastardly lack of tall buildings and has to take the subway. Tune in tomorrow, true believers! Excelsior!

This was in fact the premise of an entire issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts, in which Linus burns his draft card. (September 15, 1969)

For anyone who's wondering: Grenada.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

dismas posted:

This one is pretty good.

It's one of my favorites. Schulz paces the gag perfectly,.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I am TOTALLY down with Ted's new holiday.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Peter, you can't drive anyway.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I like this one. It's from a storyline where Charlie Brown is cracking up over his obsession with the baseball team's continual failure. People claim Snoopy took over the strip at one point, but actually reading it from start to finish (thanks, Fantagraphics!), it really isn't so. His strips are the simplest ones, usually quick, repeating gags, but I still enjoy their daffiness. And the other characters maintain Schulz's theme of semi-adult neuroses in child-size characters. Peppermint Patty deals with single-parent households and feminine body issues (a topic that would be noteworthy today, let alone in the 1970s). Sally is about school anxiety and not really knowing what's going on when you're young. Rerun's about that last part, too, often in a very good way. Linus, Lucy, Charlie Brown, and Schroeder are pretty much the same as they were in the "classic" period, and with the addition of Marcy as Peppermint Patty's foil, we get the crush triangle between her, Peppermint Patty, and Charlie Brown. Schulz also cuts a lot of dross around this time; Violet, Original Patty, Shermy, and even Frieda had outlived their usefulness (this Head Beagle story is pretty much the last major thing she'd be a part of), to say nothing of 3, 4, and 5. ("Who?" Exactly.) Franklin rounds out the cross-town cast, and around now we also get one of my favorite Schulz creations: Spike. There's something about Spike that's just so bizarrely existentialist that I can't help but love him. I would read a strip just about Spike.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

Oh for the love of...Peppermint Patty is a tomboy who's not very smart. Those are the distinctive character traits which give rise to jokes not possible with the other characters, and that's how she became an important character. Identity politics critical theory is stupid in general, and I can't imagine why you decided to take that particular tact with that particular character when everything else in your post focused on actual content, rather than background trivia no one has ever heard of.

It's not "background trivia," it's the focus of actual strips and storylines. Just because you haven't read them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

"You know him, he's the guy that guzzles hobo wine and works in a barn."

Thanks to the throwaway panel, I choose to believe that this is what the viewers of the Today Show are actually seeing.

Also, my God, that Sally Forth is a thing of beauty.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

So if Peter's not going to be doing any work for the Bugle, and MJ's show is going on hiatus, how are they supposed to pay for this cross-country road trip?

Also, crossing my fingers so goddamned hard for special guest-star Razorback.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Nah, Canadian Thanksgiving was last month.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

goatface posted:

There are a lot of obvious choices as to who that could be, and they are all significantly beyond newspaper spider-man's pay grade.

Stilt-Man is significantly beyond Newspaper Spider-Man's pay grade.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

One, that's obviously Michelangelo. Two, you forgot to tell a loving joke.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

Is it part of Ronan's established character that he don't talk English so good?

Nah, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Strontium posted:

I kinda love these. It's rare that Calvin & Hobbes goes for wordplay, but the silly gags do a lot to lighten the tone of the comic. Between the snow goons, the monsters under the bed, and dad getting preachy, a simple pun can do a lot of good.

The pacing is great.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Late, but:

"Did it work, Reed?"
"It's Spider-Man, Sue. Of course it did. Now, on with the Gilmore Girls marathon!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Happy Hogswatch, everyone!

I love that he drew Ron AND Ron's Smell.

• Locked thread