Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pluggers are desperately trying to justify bringing the word fag back into common practice without actually saying it.

Mark Trail, by contrast, is quite comfortable being fabulous:

Thought this was going to turn into 127 Hours on the funnies page :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I look forward to the storyline where this imp from hell is bullied by the second graders, and the last panel is Rex sat silent, gazing into the distance, satisfied smile on his mug.

Twisted sentiment aside, it's been like 150 years since I was in the first and second grades; aside from her fantastic artistic skillz, what actual learned skills should a first grader have at the end of that year in order to advance to the second grade? Reading level, maths -- not to mention there's a heck of a different between a 6 year old and a 7 year old socially, The adults may be wowed by her precocious ways, but I can't imagine the other kids being impressed with her (although this being Rex Morgan, she'll probably be elected school president.

I'm putting way too much thought into this strip :smith:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Darkest Auer posted:

That's kind of a dick move, letting the kid go to the movies but not allowing her to see the ending.

Don't worry -- if these strips were published when I think they were (1930s, I'm guessing), by 6pm, Nancy would have seen the movie at least once, plus shorts, a news reel, cartoons, etc. all for a nickel.

Source: My mum is 87 (b. 1929), and her mum used to let her go to the cinema on Saturdays from the time it opened until suppertime -- starting from about the age of 5! My mum would get to see the same film a couple of times (which is why she knows all of the words to every musical made between about 1934 and 1946), and in the late afternoons, the older brothers would be walking up and down the aisles of the theatre, sifting around amongst the kiddies to sort'em out and bring'em home for their evening meals. You totally did not want your mum herself to show up, because that meant you were late and probably going to get a whack upside the bum for making her come look for you and letting supper get cold.

My uncle Mike used to fetch my mum back home when she was at the younger end of her experiences, and she'd've usually fallen asleep so he'd just haul her up like a sack of potatoes and carry her home. If she was awake and bolshie, he'd tell her that he'd just bought a new comic book and if she beat him back to the house, she could be the first one to read it (a privilege he didn't give away lightly) :3:

On the topic of Nancy -- she thinks the Guy Gilchrist version is absolutely ridiculous and that the Ernie Bushmiller Nancy is best Nancy.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Annnnd there's every going-out-to-eat meal, ever, with my dad.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Trilobite posted:

Prediction: the old coot ranting about how this house is rotten to the core just doesn't want sexy(?) grandma here to move out of the neighborhood and is trying to scare off all prospective buyers. The house is actually the greatest house in the entire neighborhood, and Rex's reward for grimacing through a couple of conversations over the next month or so will be that old coot and sexy grandma will hook up more or less on their own and the house will be sold to the Morgans at a steep discount.

Maybe they'll end up renting their old house to the elderly couple just to tie everything up in a neat bow and poignantly illustrate the problem of senior citizens in our country by almost immediately pretending that they don't exist and never mentioning them ever again, I don't know.

I'm on this :bandwagon:, and would not be at all surprised to see that the plot is some variation of this.

My prediction was more cynical: the lady finds out about demon-child second grader and immediately gives/sells Rex the house at some sort of deep discount; we get to see several close ups of smug demon-child during the proceedings, &c.

Also, as someone who's spent the last few years wending her way through the Byzantine bureacracy that is immigration visa, residency status, work permits, citizenship and all that guff, I'm idly curious about Quill's status. I'm guessing he's still in the States on a student visa (for university)? Everyone in this strip travels to other countries to study or work willy-nilly without much acknowledgement of the paperwork involved (re: Gunther's Big Adventure).

Also, Luann's reaction to the breakup -- bleurgh. On the other hand, Mr Grey amuses me. I like to think he'd be played by Donald Pleasance if Luann did a live action thing and if, of course, he were still alive.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

'Move into this house now, and I'll assume the mortgage, leave you all of the furniture, and throw in this sweet portrait of Teddy Roosevelt for free!'

Seriously, imagining that this awful child is Tor Johnson makes this strip tolerable.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

At this point, I believe in all honesty that the writer of this strip is trolling us.

?! How is that supposed to be pronounced? 'Momuh?' Moma? Is she suggesting the Metropolitan Museum of Art has an automotive assistance service?

This is glorious :allears:

But does he have like a hundred goddamned dicks? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Hmmm...such a lovely little comic strip, so much fun and it brightens up my fridge dontcha know. Be a shame if the Atlantic Recording Corp, BMI (Jondora/Concord Music), ABKCO, and Sony/ATV decided to go all copyright violation and licensing fee on Guy Gilchrist's arse...

[Seriously, it is a pain in the backside trying to publish an academic article that so much as quotes a prepositional phrase from a pop song without the owners coming after you with enormous fee demands or ordering a cease and desist, which is why most publishers insist that authors paraphrase any lyrics they would like to use -- even attributing the quotes with fully cited footnotes is a no-go without paying the fee. Sadly, you can get away with teeny excerpts like this -- which is why on MST3K, for example, they'll sing a riff just long enough for you to get it, but not long enough to get into trouble. Forgive my grumpiness, I'm jetlagged and this hack gets up my wick.]

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I guess they did the one thing and came straight home.

Wait, where's the strip where they take ecstasy? (I know, it's the dumb name of a dumb character, but let me dream).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I know it's a nitpick, but an art history professor calling the dude 'da Vinci' irks me.

As for the relationship between Blandy Blunt Cut and Professor Moustache Ride -- ick.

Demon Child's 80% royalties...ah hahahahaha. I think the best I've ever done was 5%, and that ended up being split three ways as we've got three editors on the collection.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 28, 2016

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Waitwaitwait...

Is this a thing where the writers are trying to shame/slam the people who say that Mary Worth isn't good? Is that's what's happening?

God I want that to be the case.

Myself want to know when they teleported to the Tate in London -- isn't that where The Kiss is?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I love you. (in a strictly platonic, Oh wow! moon rocks!)

Simian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qj0KlHqo58

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

My department chair actually has this strip posted outside his office door. I'm never quite sure if it's intended to be a dig at humanities departments or as a reminder to not make your papers an obscure morass of unmotivated lemmas, which is our equivalent of the meaningless obfuscating buzzword.

As long as it's in a clear, professional plastic binder, it's all good.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Hey, let's have some more Sally Forth as reinterpreted by 10-year-old Taiwanese girls!

It is fantastic that Ted's thought processes transcend both age and national boundaries.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Getting weird SASSY!! vibes off this one.

The Mary Worth storyline is hilarious.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

True, but there could be rabid bats or a rabid raccoon or .... :allears:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Alterian posted:

As a college instructor, this storyline has been hilarious in how many times he would be reprimanded at my school for inappropriate fraternization with a student.

Ha ha -- that's exactly why I love it so much.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

And gold! And jewels! And rare artifacts! An oil well! Three winning lottery tickets! A record-breaking catfish! Ice cream!

All the missing Doctor Who episodes! The second book of Aristotle's Poetics! The missing books of Tacitus!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

I'd be ok if this guy took over Rose is Rose, the creepy baby strips especially.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

:neckbeard: The Complete Cul de Sac is being released in France :neckbeard:

Volume 1 is out

https://www.amazon.fr/CUL-SAC-1-Richard-Thompson/dp/2365778550/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

I have one of the translated smaller books (Children at Play); I like to keep up with my French, and this is the kind of stuff I prefer for colloquialisms and stuff.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Mike Nesmith (kind of) got there first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GmBBXywyI

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

In this strip, why the hell not? Give her a palace and a coach & four, too.

Although with a few alterations, she could complete her transformation to the little girl in The Ring.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Yes! Because when people get all dressed up smartly for a night out at a gala, the one thing they really want to do is look after a total stranger's infant.

(Of course in Rex Morganland, that will turn out to be the case, plus they kids'll probably pick up a couple of free yachts, a free uni ride, and a fat inheritance before the evening is over).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I'm :corsair: and that, so forgive what might be an out-of-touch- with- the- kids- these- days question, but do university students generally maintain the younger 'Yay! No more teachers/no more books!!!!' attitude during the summer break? I was hitting up jobs and intern stuff (if not taking a class or two) during mine.

On the other hand, yeah, I know, this is Luanne, where university is just a weird extension of high school.

And of course we're going to get to see their 'let's put onna show!!!' thing in July. Can't wait to see what Luanne comes up with; after all, she did spend a couple days in New York. :toot:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Why ask a question that you already know the answer to?

I'm a masochist :v: (which is why I keep reading Nancy, Tor Johnson Baby (Rose is Rose), and Rex Morgan, even though they wind me up something fierce).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Odonata posted:

Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Normally I ignore this comic (I thought it was dull if not creepy when I was a little kid, and yep, still do). This one caught my eye, and initially I went through the stages of :psyduck: :argh: :eng101: on how Roman coins are dated and what a coin from the end of Nero's reign might actually be worth (at the low end of the scale, depending on metal, the most common from 64 would be about $3000 if in pristine condition and $500-$800 in beat-to-poo poo condition. Silver and gold would be more, obviously - Neronian coins tend to be sought after because 'He's the emperor who persecuted the Christians!' -- the same way Augustan coins are through the roof, because 'He's the emperor when baby Jebus was born!' at least according to my numismatist colleague.)

Then I thought, fuckit, too much energy. Instead, here's an example from A. D. 64. Enjoy the :reject:

Because of his Graecophilia he was depicted with a really-low slung neckbeard on a lot of his portraits; he was also made fun of for wearing his hair so long and curly on the nape of his neck, because that was partly another Greek style (frowned on by conservative Roman aristocrats) and also because it was a style for men much, much younger than Nero was in 64.

Nero would make a terrific subject for a newspaper comic strip. Not a Ripley's type thing or a Priince Valiant thing. 'That's Our Nero' sort of thing.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Look, I really appreciate all edits, but just pasting the new Phantom's head into a Family Circle panel doesn't make for comedy gold and I am also having trouble at reading the punchline??

That's so Nero! ah hahahaha.

It's been a long day.

Apologies.

(Actually the thought of a Julio-Claudian Family Circus amuses the heck out of me, and I do need some in-class workshop tasks for my final year module for next year. Hmm.)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Selachian posted:

To be run with Caligula & Incitatus, the story of an imaginative, irrepressible li'l emperor and his talking horse buddy?

And Life with Elagabalus crossed with Rose is Rose, and that's a Yatzhee.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

dordreff posted:

The fact that there are people with normal-rear end human eyes interacting with the hosed up bug-eyed people in this comic is horrifying.

Not quite as horrifying as being stuck on a trans-oceanic flight with the guy who's been wearing the same trenchcoat and roll neck jumper for the past six? eight? months.

Mister Mind posted:

Julet, I don't know if you don't read the Sunday Luanns, or are trying to save us, but in catching up with this thread I noticed that the 5/29 comic was never posted. (PS - this is not an edit.)

Ab Fab got there first.

Health and safety conscious, lobotomised Brad Pitt is pleased.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

So she's willing to marry a fully-grown adult who is surprised that a long-haul flight from NY (I'm guessing they're on the US East Coast) to south-east Asia might take more than an hour or two. Okie doke.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Odonata posted:

Horrors of the Elder Gods Comics

My gut reaction was a lot of ':rant:Jesus Christ on a two-stroke engine moped, leaving aside the point that Dionysius Exiguus won't be coming up with the A. D. dating system for a few more centuries (and that Nero's name is in English)*, why in the name of gently caress would Nero base the year around the then-tiny Christian sect - whom he allowed to be the scapegoats for the fire in 64 and used as human tiki torches in his garden consequently -- dude was so mean to the Christians that even Tacitus, who didn't like Nero, though he'd gone too far with that one, and arrgghhhh:rant:'

then I saw the size of the coin relatively speaking to Gildersleeve's thumb there, and realised, oooooh, it's just a chocolate coin, and matey is taking the piss. Early mornng zen reachieved.

Carry on.

* I know -- in Gasoline Alley's world, Jesus spoke English, &c.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

dordreff posted:

The coin actually changes size in every single panel. Second panel has it suddenly like the size of his drat face before it suddenly shrinks down, but it's still bigger in the third than it is in the first. There's some real wizard poo poo going on with this coin appraiser guy.

I'm totally ignoring the comic strip's implication that a coin in, say, the reign of Julius Caesar's would have like 45 B. C. actually struck on it.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Hey what's with the slam on barnside billboard painters out of nowhere? It's a fine occupation that fulfills an important social function.

They'll be snarking on anteaters next.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

:psyduck: Don't US carriers' long-haul flights have individual video screens with a video library the way like British Airways does? (Apologies if that's a dumb question, but the last time I flew a US carrier long-haul it was Pan Am and Margaret Thatcher was prime minister).

If not, couldn't Thing 1 and Thing 2 just load up a tablet with books and shows or whatever? I think it's been almost 20 years since I was on an overseas flight where they showed a single film to the entire cabin.

I am spending too much time being annoyed at this strip when I've got Nancy and that blond prince Valiant in Mary Worth and Super Sarah to go :argh: about, too.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

"This is great! I don't know why I ever quit drugs!"

I'm working my way through about two weeks' worth of catch-up, but I gotta say this plotline works even better for me cos I'm imagining this is the same blond guy from Laserblast (albeit now trapped in the Mary Worth universe rather than one with skinny mums, automatic arm removers, sheetcake, and Eddie Deezen as a bully).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Oh me oh my. Whoever will they find to take her daddy's place.

If Les steps up to the plate, leaving Bwad to stand there like an impotent dork, I will clap my hands in glee like a little child.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

The other is the clown jack-in-the-box, which may be the greatest delayed punch line in the history of newspaper comics. I can't find those, but I'm sure someone else around here has them.

The long delayed punchline to the clown in the ceiling was my favourite.

I just started to re-read my copy of the Complete CDS last week; I've even got a couple of the smaller collections in French as a way of keeping up my reading ability (and learning bonkers new vocab - the translations are really good).

This news makes me so sad. But what a legacy he has left behind.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

Oh, great, now I'm dreading the strip we'll get when Brian Wilson passes away.

I'm only half awake, and this strip gave me a hell of a shock thinking something had happened to Brian.

So, has Gilchrist listened to the whole song? I did not need the vision of Nancy and Sluggo mooning about when they'll be old enough to gently caress. :argh: Gilchrist, you twat. (also, Fritzie and Thing can rent two beach houses, but they can't buy that little boy a pair of swim-trunks that aren't covered to gently caress in patches? I hate this version of the strip so much).

On the other hand, I love that the Mary Worth drug addict eats choco teddy bear cereal.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

These are a couple of the friendliest and most understanding mobsters I think I've seen.

And a seriously missed opportunity to kidnap Sarah and to demand a king's (or demon child's) ransom.

Sadly such a story line would not result in the Morgans losing everything they own just to pay for getting the wonderkind back; some total strange would probably give them the eleventy-billion that they needed, plus a bonus on top of that to make up for the trauma.

But a storyline with Rex and June debating whether to pay the ransom and live the rest of their lives with Sarah in poverty or to keep the cash & fuckiit with the kid would have been fun.

• Locked thread