Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Is there anything PJ can't break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I've barely heard of the games coming up in the next hours, is it the indie block or something now?

Yup. BBT was the start of the Indie Game Block, which finishes with Spelunky.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

he's only playing like every third level too.

I thought he said he was playing 41 out of 50 levels.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

A run with that many mistakes was WR. How did he not have a better time than that before now?

Well, at least he acknowledges that it wasn't a great run and wants people to start running the game to beat him.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

guys the game looks really, really difficult to run without making any mistakes. most of his deaths cost a half-second maximum. chill out.

He beat his previous record by something like 3 minutes despite pausing in the middle to turn off steam notifications. As the only guy who runs the game, he really needed to have done more work on it before going to a GDQ event with it.

I mean, he was obviously trying (and he probably would've done better if he hadn't had to try to explain what he as doing as he was doing it), I just don't think he was ready for AGDQ. It didn't help that the game's SFX were poo poo and the visuals very repetitive. If the game itself looked and sounded better (or if more people ran the game) I don't think people would be giving him as much poo poo.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Tollymain posted:

do i want to know what's up with the "kill the animals" meme?

In Super Metroid, there's a point where you can either visit a room off to the side to save some animals, or skip the room and let them all die. It's a few seconds (?) faster to let them die, which is why people sometimes say "Save the Frames" instead of "Kill the Animals". For some reason it's become a huge donation war ever since they first started doing it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I think it's more people wanting to be part of a "thing" than just laziness.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Klaus Kinski posted:

does it get broken to poo poo? because seeing fez puzzles solved fast sounds like a really boring run

How long does Fez normally take? Because the time estimate for the run is 32 minutes, which sounds like it's more than just "do the game fast normally".

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Megafunk posted:

To what degree do they try to choose games to run based off of how fun they are to watch/nostalgia inducing/popular in an attempt to get more donations? I remember there being a page where they had their reasons for rejecting each game, I can't remember where it is.

Here you go.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zas posted:

super metroid race is reverse boss order, just fyi

There, uh, isn't a Super Metroid Race this AGDQ. It's just one runner doing it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

Even if Gvirus did badly, I liked seeing the run and the commentary was interesting.

Now waiting for Studio's run since I have never heard of the game Iji before.

Iji is an amazing game and I'm staying up way later than I should to watch the run.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

symbolic posted:

Depending on how well Hotline Miami goes, lji will be starting around 4:35 AM for me.

:shepicide:

Thank God for winter break.

Likewise. And it'll be worth it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

symbolic posted:

How do you pronounce it? eel-JEE? LEEJ? lah-JEE?

EE-gee, I believe. First letter's an I, not an L.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Looks like Iji will be Pacifist, as that's handily beating Any% in the donation war.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

For a community dependent on sometimes sub-second timing you would think there would be a better system than the guy shouting "now!" for someone else to mash the stopwatch button.

Most of the runs aren't aiming for WR pace, so they don't need to be precise. And for any that might make WR they just go back and time the video itself anyway, so the on screen timer just has to be "close enough."

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Half of it is that even if they were doing it themselves (correctly), it's still riding on stuff like "when the crosshair appears" which is pretty inaccurate. Do they not have programs that can hook into the game and do it automatically at precise times.

Nope. Each game would require its own modification to such a program, and even that wouldn't work for the console games. As far as I'm aware the precise times are calculated based on the recorded video.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zivilyn Bane posted:

Forty minutes under? That wasn't counting any extra stuff?

Guess it was a good run. :v:
Given that the WR for that category was something like 53m 27s, I'd say it was a good run.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Your Computer posted:

"I've seen him try to get this for hours" doesn't really bode well when you're doing a marathon like this :v:

Well, that wasn't "I've seen him take hours to get this." but rather "I've seen him spend hours on this trying to figure out exactly why it works and what it does."

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

"I don't know if anyone told you guys, but you're supposed to beat the levels."

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

nerdbot posted:

I feel like maybe the tag team element wasn't the best idea, they probably could've had one guy beat this by brute force instead of 4 guys losing their laser-sighted focus by switching in and out

I think that was the point.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

oh they dont like mario 3, that explains why these guys are incapable of having or embodying joy

No, they don't like the Mario Maker implementation of Mario 3 (which uses different mechanics than the actual game). They like the actual Mario 3.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Anatharon posted:

That's... Weird. How did he freeze the first boss, just killed it really fast?

I think he stunlocked it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I mostly have the current run on as background, while waiting to see what messes up for PJ.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Erata posted:

PJ's commentary and humor about speedrunning in general are the best.

Yeah, I agree with the person earlier that said that PJ could make a run of the Windows 95 screensaver interesting.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

That's a very loud Silence Cave.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

PJ should know better than to say "hopefully they don't kill me" in this game.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, hey, PJ learned something!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Ramos posted:

I wonder if EXP is tied to melee damage.

I mean, that's incredibly dumb, but that's why it might what it is.

It's not the dumbest thing. It's a simple way to tie experience in with the threat of the monster.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Vaah posted:

I'm not sure if it's because I'm tired or PJ/the couch is really good at jokes, but this run has me cracking up constantly.

PJ is really good at jokes.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

BEEEEEEEEEEEEP

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Undodgeable teleport attacks, wooooo.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Matt141 posted:

this is by THQ in 2008, how

It's not, it's from 1992. The 2008 game is also poo poo but it's not this one.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Wait, this isn't a bootleg? Or is it.

Real game. It also has Game Boy, SNES, and Mega Drive/Genesis versions.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

the same music in every stage...

It's a bible game about the Three Wise Men. Of course the music all has to be We Three Kings.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I want a waterfall shark.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

could somebody explain the greetings from germany meme

A lot of people from non-US countries feel the need to tell everyone what country they're from when they donate. One of them at some point decided to use the phrasing "Greetings from X" and others picked up on it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

You know the game is going to be good when the runner opens with "I regret nothing."

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

This was well worth forgoing sleep for.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

He doesn't even think he'll come close to finishing this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think I've ever been so excited about a series of coinflips before.

• Locked thread