Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
not sure if I'm allowed to link to reddit but these guys might be better suited to your extremely vague request

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Chomskyan posted:

Why do Japanese movies almost never have Japanese subtitles? Does Japan hate deaf people and Japanese as a second language learners?

Are you referring to movie theaters or DVDs? I can't say I've ever seen a movie theater in the US that played subtitled movies. Deaf people have to request some sort of assistive tech to go with it.

Phone posted:

Fan subs to add Japanese subtitles to movies.

I did this once for Frozen and the Japanese subs and dub were different. I gave up pretty quickly on the idea of watching them together.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 11, 2016

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

That makes sense! Thanks, I never really thought about it before.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Aredna posted:

That makes sense, but doesn't closed caption in English have everything? Why would Japanese be different for people not being able to read as fast?

I watch a lot of English-language TV and movies with English subs on. Mr. Fix It is right, they are different from CC. Sometimes subs are verbatim, sometimes it's cleaned up to be more concise. It can be arbitrary due to different transcription companies' rules, but there are situations where it makes sense.

For example, there's only so much text you're allowed to cram onto the screen at any given time. Depending on the pace of the show, if someone is being long-winded, you could have the scene move on before you're done reading the speech. I haven't seen that come up too often, but it does happen.

In my experience, CC tends to ignore pacing to include everything so captions can get laggy at times.

As an aside, afaik Japanese people can read Japanese faster than native English speakers can read English. It's easier to digest quickly due to sentences being broken up into hiragana, katakana, and kanji.

Mr. Fix It posted:

I've seen discs with two sets of subtitles in a given language: one that's CC for the dub and one that's normal subtitles for the movie's native language. I think Chomskyan is complaining about the complete lack of subtitles for a non-dubbed movie and you and Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. might be talking about discs that don't have CC subtitles. Both lame situations, I agree.

I'm still curious to hear what movies Chomskyan found that didn't have any subs. That's pretty standard nowadays, isn't it?

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

If it's really that bad, you might want to go to the grocery store and make your own food. I wouldn't put my faith in Japanese waitstaff to understand your situation when the reaction is that severe. I know that's pretty brutal, but I've heard way too many stories about vegetarians getting food with meat in it no matter how clear they are about not being able to eat animal products.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

what happens after valentine's day!! the suspense is killing me!!!!

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Thrasophius posted:

Yes I know it wouldn't be an accurate depiction of everyday life there but it would at least give me a little feel for it.

In that case, you should probably skip Tokyo all together and visit some bumfuck town in the middle of nowhere. ;)

I'm kind of half-joking. AFAIK it's pretty hard to get jobs in Tokyo since everyone wants to live there. Plus, if you are going through the JET program, you don't get to choose where you teach and odds are you will end up in the boonies.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

ManDingo posted:

Oh and on a food related note. If you go to one of the crazy busy ramen places can you take it to go and not use up a seat? I have a feeling I will not be popular with my crappy chop stick skills and would prefer to not be rushed.

start practicing your chopstick skills now so you will be less embarrassed and able to enjoy ramen :)

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

DiscoJ posted:

Fushimi Inari Shrine (shrine with thousands of the red torii gates) never actually closes. It's quite nice (if a little spooky in places) late at night. Much less people there too.

Nice view of the city from the mountain top as well. Just be sure to bring your own drinks because the vending machines are super expensive. Also there's no open bathrooms at night, so pace yourself!

As far as other night stuff, you could go down to Kamogawa River and [strike]get drunk[/strike] hang out. I know there's always a ton of people near the Sanjo bridge. Lots of foreigners too. I know Kyoto's nightlife probably isn't anything at all compared to Tokyo, but if you have time to burn it can be fun. :) Also that whole Sanjo/Shijo area has lots of shops, restaurants, and bars, so it's not like the town is completely dead.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

caberham posted:

This person is a cool person. Just saying

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Zettace posted:

If you've never seen a Japanese game center then there's a Round 1 in Kyoto but Round 1s are in every major city and I think Tokyo might have a better selection of cool game centers.

Teramachi is an entire shopping district of small stores and it's worth checking out. It's also right beside the "downtown section" of Kyoto (Sanjo-Shijo) where lots of bars and karaoke places are located.

I was a student when I was in Kyoto so I only really went to the cheaper bars but if you're interested. Bar moon walk was one of my favorite bars. It's a chain with about ~20 stores across Japan and Kyoto has 4 stores iirc. I believe I went to the one at Sanjo. It's a tiny, tiny bar (can probably only fit like 8 people at a time) but it was heavily decorated and it's also really cheap (400yen cover charge + 200 per drink). It's also on the second floor of some unlabeled building and the only think that would tell you that it's there is a sandwich board sign pointing in to this shady hallway.

Torikizoku was also one of my go Izakayas. The food is tasty and a cheap place to eat and get drunk; the perfect place for a University student. It's also a chain so there's a couple of stores around Kyoto.

Also, Karaoke places are also all you can drink places and if you get the all night package you can stay from like 11 until 5am singing and drinking for like 2500yen/person if that's your thing.

Seconding all this. There's a lot more to Kyoto than shrines and temples.

I'll add that it's a beautiful city in general, and a great place to wander around if you're into soaking up the mood of a city. I am a fan, but there's nothing wrong if you're the sightseeing-checklist type either. :)

Also, Nishiki Market is pretty famous shopping area for all sorts of food stuff. I didn't spend much time there but there's a huge array of items. Just window shopping was fun.

Kyoto is known for their tofu and vegetables (pickled or fresh). There are restaurants devoted to tofu that have a variety of kinds available. Seriously, the tofu is magical. I miss it so much.. some of them I can't even find in the US. I'd have to make it myself!

My suggestion is Togaden. High quality and very affordable. Everything my friends and I have had has been wonderful.

Okay sorry for sperging out I frickin love food.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

What other places in Kyoto would you recommend checking out (food wise)

Generally everything I suggest is going to be in the low-to-mid price range because I'm a broke rear end student, but other posters can probably help you out if you want something more expensive. Honestly, there's so much affordable good food (especially lunch!) that I didn't feel deprived or like I was eating junk at all. Kyoto has an abundance of cute, cozy cafes too.

Okay, I have a big write up on vegetarian/vegan places that are all delicious even if you eat meat, so I'll stick those in first. I was vegetarian at the time, but have eaten meat my whole life and definitely didn't have that "I've deluded myself into thinking tempeh tastes the same as meat" palate thing going on. I think that substitutions are something that can be enjoyed in their own right, although a few of these did taste surprisingly like the real thing.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I found most of the restaurants through happycow.net, but I'm just gonna talk about the places I've been to. Dunno how strict you are on fish. I didn't worry about it because Japan, so some of these places might have fish products.. I'll make a note of it if I remember.

My favorite restaurant, hands down, is Sujata. It's close to Kyoto University and run by this sweet Buddhist granny. I've only had the Japanese lunch set (changes from day-to-day), so I can't comment on the Indian fare, but her Japanese food is vegan and incredibly satisfying. Since she runs the place herself, it can take a while to get your food sometimes, but the atmosphere is so calming that even when I'm starving I didn't mind waiting. http://www.sujata-cafe.com/

Falafel Garden is also really great. It's a little north of Demachiyanagi Station. It's located in a two-story machiya house with outside seating out back. The second floor has a little balcony with one table that looks over the Eizan trains coming in. The menus clearly mark what is vegetarian and vegan, with only a few meat options. I thiiiink the menu has English as well, but I can't remember for sure. I've had all of the vegetarian pitas and the baba ganoush is my favorite. Also, pita fries! The pita fries!! Crispy wedges of heaven! I think my only complaint is the first time I came here, I was confused because the staff don't acknowledge you or tell you where to sit when you first come in. They're pretty hands off in general-- if you want to refill your water there's an pitcher just kind of hanging out near the stairs that I wasn't sure I was allowed to use at first. Once I got a feel for the place it was fine, though. http://www.falafelgarden.com/

Mumokuteki in Teramachi is vegan, but I think they use dashi. The majority of their dishes are variations of mock meat, but every one I tried was tasty as heck (aside from this weird fukusai all the dishes had that were little honeyed tomatoes). They also have vegan desserts which are more health-focused than flat out diary-free sweets. The parfait I had was kind of granola-y instead of the typical sugary Japanese parfait. Not bad at all, especially if you're looking for something not too overwhelming. This place is definitely more trendy than most vegetarian restaurants I've been to. It's packed with cute girls and the menu advertises how diet-friendly the desserts are. There's also an attached goods store although I haven't really checked it out. The location can be awkward to get to. If you're walking in Teramachi, you're approaching the backside of the store. There's a little glass case with plastic models of some of their dishes, but you have to enter the clothing store next to it and go up the stairs on the right to access the restaurant. From there you have to walk all the way down to the counter to request a seat. The entrance is at the road on the OTHER side of Teramachi, but less people wander around that side so I figure I'd give directions from the back. http://www.mumokuteki.com/cafe/

Biotei in Karasuma Sanjo serves meat but is vegetarian/vegan accommodating. Super friendly staff, chef double-checked in English what I could/couldn't eat and made me something tasty on the spot. When I was paying the staff asked me a bunch of questions about myself. I misunderstood the keigo and I accidentally told them I was going to be in Kyoto for a year when I meant I had been there for a year. :gonk: They got super excited and asked me to visit often! But I had to leave next week. :( Anyway. Very kind people, great food. http://www.organickyoto.com/biotei/

I actually heard about Morpho Cafe from one of my Japanese teachers. It's a vegan cafe in this cute little neighborhood west of the Imperial Palace. I've only eaten there once, but the lunch set featured a huge salad (seriously, huge!!) and a lot of cute little tiny dishes. Everything was delicious and it was honestly hard to finish it all. http://www.morphocafe.com/

The tofu restaurant I mentioned in my previous post is also vegetarian, possibly vegan. The tofu cheesecake is sooooo good. :h: http://www.sanjo-togaden.com/

Also, no idea if it's vegan but I'm guessing it is, Kyozuan at Fushimi Inari makes this soy milk soft serve that is just.. magical. It has a fluffy, silky texture that I've never experienced before. They also sell soy milk donuts but I haven't tried them. There's also a location in Arashiyama. http://kyozuan.fc2web.com/

I'm trying to remember if there's anything else, but I'm drawing a blank. I'll add more if anything comes to me.

edit: How could I forget! Mamezen! Soy milk ramen that's a lot more delicious than you'd think. The guy running the place was friendly and we chatted for a long time. He can speak a little English but mostly we stuck with Japanese. It's advertised as vegan but his stock uses dashi and some are garnished with katsuobushi. The restaurant is in a neighborhood off of Kita Oji Dori (north of Shimogamo Shrine) and has an intriguing atmosphere. It looks like a nice house but there's a lantern that says ramen out front, I believe. Anyway, beautiful space. Delicious ramen. http://www.mamezen.com/

Like seriously that tofu soft serve. I'm dying thinking about it.

If you want amazing takoyaki, hit up Takotora! Seriously the best I've ever had and I believe they're only in Kyoto. Huge and crispy on the outside, gooey with a generous chunk of octopus on the inside.. what's not to love?

Main store: Intersection of Kitaooji and Takano, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto (京都府京都市左京区北大路高野交差点上ル西側)
Shichijo store: 20-18, Nishikyogoku, Daimon town, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto (京都府京都市右京区西京極大門町20-18)
Kamishichiken store: Imadegawadori Nanahonmatsu Nishi Iru Kamigyō-Ku, Kyoto (京都府京都市上京区今出川通七本松西入真盛町726-40)

There's a little mom and pop restaurant near Ginkakuji called Daigin. Great, affordable lunch sets that have huge portions. (I prefer ordering one item. It usually comes with a few teeny sides, while an actual set is.. more sides and hard to finish.) The staff are used to having foreign students so even though they can't speak English, they're still good at working through the language barrier. Yakiudon is my favorite. Sliced beef and udon fried in a teriyaki sauce with green onions and shredded nori on top. So good! The yakiudon doesn't come with any sides but it's always filled me up. Hard to beat at only 500 yen! I found a site that has a write up and directions to get there. Not sure how old the post is, but the menu at Daigin is changing all the time so I wouldn't rely on the menu section too much.

http://happy-travelling.com/shop/daigin/

Ichijoji famous for its ramen. There's a street that's packed with shops and the competition is intense, meaning lots of awesome ramen for us! This site gives you locations and a little review of some of the more famous shops. I love Kyoto-style ramen. It's thick, creamy, and depending on where you go, pretty garlic-y as well. It's made with chicken bones instead of pork, giving it its own distinct flavor from tonkotsu. I really wish I could find it in the US. :(

http://www.howtokyoto.com/things_to_do/1197.html

There is also a ramen chain that has a location in Ichijoji. They make a spicy ramen that does NOT gently caress around. It goes on a scale from 1-5 with 5 being the hottest. I have Thai friends that couldn't eat past level 4. If you know anything about Thai food.. yeah. I loved to go there and melt my face off on occasion. It's not just some hothead gimmick; it actually tastes good and the heat is part of the enjoyment.

Link for all locations in Kyoto
http://www.rairaitei.co.jp/store/kinki/kyoto.html

This is the one in Ichijoji
http://hitosara.com/0004024388/

Alright! That's probably more than enough. :) Sorry I get carried away with this stuff.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 20, 2016

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

If you're really emotionally attached (I get it, I love kotatsu as well) you can probably make your own. Looks like there's a decent amount of tutorials online.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

After you wash your body, you hop in the tub for a nice soak. Gotta keep the tub clean!

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I've been to about a dozen different onsen and I have lots of tattoos, never had anyone say anything. Most of these were in rural Tohoku also. I am a giant white guy though, so I don't think people were suspicious that I might be Yakuza.

I went to onsen in Amanohashidate with some friends and was almost turned away because a cute Italian girl had a little bird tattoo on her shoulder. We managed to convince the owner to let us in by promising to cover her shoulder with a towel.

So, YMMV.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

E: didn't mean to jump the gun earlier, I was trying to say that it would eventually be great to work and live in Japan for an extended period of time, but it would be a lot smarter and economical to do a lot shorter tourism trip first to see how I like it all there.

Resurrecting this post to remind people that going to Japan on vacation and actually living in Japan are two completely different beasts. I cannot emphasize this enough.

NGL, going to awesome arcades is lots of fun. I miss playing Maimai. But doing important every day stuff like filling out paperwork in Japanese? It can be stressful, and that stress adds up. Pretty much everything about my life is easier back home because I don't have to navigate a language barrier. The time zone difference between me and my family/friends is smaller, and I can afford to travel back home in the case of an emergency. None of this is even taking into account Japan's work culture, which can be pretty frustrating from an American's point of view. (I cannot comment as I was only a student.)

I'm not going to go into all the millions of things that jaded gaijin like to gripe about. I just want to emphasize that living in a foreign country is hard. It demands more of you. It can be rewarding, and I think it will be more rewarding if people are prepared beforehand and know what they're getting into. Keep this in mind on your tourism trip and have a great time. :)

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

This is a good post, but is also true for every place in the world, not just Japan.

yeah ofc but this is the japan thread, my friend. :)

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Everything is easier with money. Most posts about packing up and moving are people saying they have few marketable skills or would accept a lower paying job and that makes life harder. Some people are trying to escape something (most probably), others believe too much in the 'grass in greener' perspective of pretty lights and opportunity in a foreign land or worst of all that being western and/or white means they'll be fine. Frankly I see those as bad reasons to move anywhere.

Most of the difficulties and hardships of living in Asia evaporate once you're making a good salary.

I was tailoring this post towards the kind of people you listed because I'd say that's 99% of the foreigners that want to go to Japan. And I agree, money def makes things easier, but unless you're throwing money at a personal interpreter or are already fluent in the language, you would still have to deal with your brain working overtime translating everything around you. I guess there's also the gaijin bubble option and relying on your Japanese wife to take care of everything. :|

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

I'm visiting my friend in Wazuka, a teeny mountain village southeast of Kyoto. I'm planning to be there May 3rd - 12th, give or take a day. Cheapest flights I can find land in Nagoya, which I thought would be fun to check out. Is there anything cool between the two of them? I'm open to just about anything. I like good food, temples and shrines, and just wandering around. I love onsen too, but maybe it's not as enjoyable when it's hot as balls out.

Any input is appreciated! I've only seen the Kansai area so I'm looking forward to branching out. :)

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Thanks so much guys! Very excited to check out all these new places :)

Magna Kaser posted:

Finalized all my plans so I'll have 2 and a half days in Osaka, and then like 3~4 in and around Kyoto depending on how I play it with trains before heading off to Tokyo and beyond.

Anyone have any super awesome recs for food in Osaka or Kyoto? There's a ton of suggestions for Tokyo, but I haven't found much for the other two trawling through this thread. I eat everything.

I already have a few from friends, but eating is p much my favorite thing to do so more is always better. I'll be traveling alone and willing to splurge on a good meal or three.

I lived in Kyoto for a year and wrote a bunch of obnoxious gushy recs because I love food way too much.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758863&perpage=40#post457670099

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758863&perpage=40#post457617693

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

I've tried two different post office ATMs and they won't work with my Mastercard at all. I double-checked with my bank and they said they didn't receive any information at all. 711 ATMs work fine.

In the past, the post office was always my go-to and the general consensus was that it was the safest choice. Has something changed or is it just me?

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

The whole "post office ATM" thing is simply outdated info, they used to be the go-to ATMs for many gaijin tourists but that was like over a decade ago. 7-11 ATMs are everywhere (many not even in 7-11s) and they're​ all 24 hours. Dunno why people even bother with post office ATMs anymore.

I lived in Kyoto a few years ago and always preferred the post office because they were reliable and had no extra fees. Seems like nowadays 711 doesn't charge anything, so that's nice.

I think leather fedora is right though, my card has a chip now. The menu for the ATM had changed as well, so there might be something else going on too. In any case, 711 is more convenient so this works just fine. :)

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

pasmo's mascot is weak af. icoca has an obnoxious little duck and i love it.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

:same:

I want a 711 egg samich. And sushi that costs 1/2 what it does in the US and is better. And ramen that actually tastes right. And curry w/ chicken katsu that I don't make myself and is only okay. And to feel safe just walking around.

If you live in the Seattle area there’s a Japanese sandwich shop that can probably satisfy your egg sammy cravings.

https://www.tressandwich.com/eng/

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

peanut posted:

anime also does this and it makes kindergarten age boys more annoying

"I'm gonna be number one!!!! Mine is the best!!!!"

I feel like live action adaptations of anime manage to make this even worse. Watching human beings act cartoonish is so cringey. I have no idea how people out there can watch adaptations but turn their nose up to actual anime.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I went to McDonalds just to try the shrimp burger patty or whatever it was and when I was done I was like — it was good but it was very McDonalds and I didn’t bother trying anything else “exotic” there or any other chain I had at home. I guess I still kind of want to try KFC to see if its any different but I’ll feel very stupid if it’s not.

Crawling out of lurking to encourage you to pass on KFC. The main difference I noted was they punch loving holes through the biscuits for some godforsaken reason. I haven’t had KFC in forever so I’m not the best person to give a proper comparison, but I can tell you it was not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Phone posted:

There's been a recent uptick in vaccination rate that's lagged behind the delta spike. Places like grocery stores and other shops have changed their signs from "vaccinated people don't need to wear a mask" to "in accordance with City's rule as of August XX, every customer needs to wear a mask".

Truly a demon cracker nation.

The governor of Florida recently told school superintendents that he would cut their funding if they implemented mask mandates. It’s blatantly illegal, but he’s trying to court the anti-maskers because he wants to run for president. :allears: The US is a hellscape