Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

net work error posted:

Hello Japan thread I have simple questions this time around for my trip in late March.

What's the best/cheapest way to get from Tokyo to Kyoto? Last time I visited Japan I stuck to Tokyo only so I'd like to visit Kyoto for a few days this time as well this time.

Also if you guys have any onsen ryokan recommendations in either Tokyo or Kyoto I'm all ears, especially those that are for couples.

No one is recommending the overnight bus then I guess. If you don't have a JR pass that's the cheapest way, other than hitch-hiking, which I only know of one person from here has done.

Hope you are one of the people who can sleep on a bus in that case if you go with that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

orenronen posted:

The sheer bizarreness of the place is fascinating even if you have no interest in otaku stuff.

The first 2 floors make up the bulk of the stores in Nakano Broadway, however people new to the place make the mistake of taking the first escalator they see walking in and that unfortunately takes you 2 floors up and people end up missing one floor completely or didn't realize it until they were leaving. Granted that 3rd floor does contain some very unique themed stores from when I was last there.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Hit up some milk bars?

This is SA after all so I'm afraid to ask, what the hell is that?

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
I would suggest japanese diapers if you know anyone who just had a newborn; if it weren't for the fact they're bulky as all hell.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
There are some that take bookings beyond the 90 day period(some by a whopping extra month!!) but most go by that 3 month period standard. The only way I know of people getting around that is if they go thru a travel agent since some hotels pre-allocate rooms as part of a deal with a particular agency and even then it's not a given.

And yes do it as soon as possible.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Me and a friend are going to be in Fukuoka for a day on the 7th. Anything of note happening there at that time to see and do, or not do? It's our first time there.

Also what's the best time in the morning to catch the shinkansen to avoid the crush? We're heading up to Osaka the next day and from past experiences even with reserved seats things can easily get booked out especially since it may be a limited stop train.

And no we're not getting the overnight bus because my friend finds it too uncomfortable and too darn long.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Ned posted:

Monday is generally a pretty boring day in Fukuoka so don't expect too much nightlife. If you like nature maybe you can go check out the castle ruins and then Ohori park. There are some museums in that area as well. There are a few shrines near downtown but not really amazing. If you feel like taking a day trip you can check out Dazaifu Tenmangu. For food/drinks I recommend hitting up Ninoni at 5 for their happy hour and then when you are done there you can go check out Mami-chan for a great Yatai experience.

As far as the train goes just head to Hakata station and look at the board to see which trains have reserved seating available. I don't see you having a hard time getting a reserved seat. Also, if you go to a ticket place you can get a ticket for about 10% less than regular price. If you go to the Chikushiguchi exit and take a right there will be a place on your left near the Bic Camera.

Thanks for the suggestions Ned, looks great and sure as heck opened up more things to do than we originally did.
Yeah I had a feeling that being Monday it might not be the best time for it but that's just how the schedule fell and there wasn't much we can do about it.

The train seats thing probably is just a case of being cautious on my part, but then again the last time I had to catch one from Hiroshima to Osaka I had problems with booked out carriages and I wasn't too keen on standing for the 2-3 hours + in the unreserved section. And that was on a weekday with no public holiday in sight.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
In which case, is there any difference between Pasmo to suica or any of the other IC cards? Or are they largely all are accepted in much of the country and services?

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Ned posted:

I was going to blame the situation on the goon who came to town on Monday.

But that area was under construction for a long rear end time. The mayor's response to the situation was pretty cool and I hope he moves up in the world of politics.

*put hands up* A bit late on my part it sure made for an even more interesting time in Fukuoka. Yeah I went dark and was only usin the wi-fi for getting around the past 2 weeks otherwise I'd have joined in with the FUKed talk.

Pretty funny to wake up to repeated footage of traffic lights disappearing down a hole in the morning tv to be folowed by noise of choppers outside before having the lightbulb moment out of my morning foggy haze of recognising the 7-11 store I walked past just yesterday slowly being swollowed up by the sinkhole.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Absolutely. I didn't end up going to the castle ruins area as it was already getting late into the day by that time but it was great fun, so there's something for next time I'm in town lined up.

And Mami-chan is a treat. Holy crap did they pile in the food and was sharing it all round when we were there.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

The Great Autismo! posted:

I didn't even know Japan had a Wendy's

Very few left from what I've been told. There used to be one in Ikebukuro that I used to go to/walk pass by but that has been gone for a few years now. A giant Uniqlo building has taken it's place.

The only one that I know of now that's is still around is in Hibiya Square in front of the Godzilla statue.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Dark by 7 pm isn't that big of an issue for me though it getting dark by 4:30 pm, and that's during autumn, is.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

.Z. posted:

Also, has anyone taken the ferry from Fukuoka to Osaka? Think it's worth the experience over taking a bullet train?

Considering that the fastest train from Fukuoka to Osaka takes 3+ hours, the ferry sounds like it'd take a whole day? 12 hours looking at the Osaka ferry website. If you got the time why not.
I may be wrong but I don't think it's really all that much cheaper than the train though.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Mountain hiking in winter? Don't people tend to avoid that because, you know, it's kinda dangerous?

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Night: Uhhhh

Hey thread, anyone got ideas for night-time stuff to do in Kyoto? Assuming that what we can do during the day won't take all the way 'til bedtime, which is possible.

Wander around Gion and across the bridge in the Sanjo area. Both areas looks and feels different at night. Almost serene in Gion due to most of the daytime tourists have left and lively in the Sanjo area as that's where the nightlife and eateries are(note: can be very busy and crowded)

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

caberham posted:

You guys make it sound like everywhere is bad in Tokyo but I was never so bad for all the time I have been in japan.

Maybe I’m used to worst crowds.

Maybe kabukicho is bad but that’s about it

To be fair cab, you're used to HK. That place is like a busy Tokyo weekend everyday all year all the time.

I really don't want to think just how much worse things going to be in Tokyo the closer we get to 2020.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Well you'll be right in the middle of the summer. In some ways the rain would be the least of your worries unless you don't mind the heat and the humidity.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

ntan1 posted:

Hi Akihabara has a couple of things still going for it:

4) tonkatsu - there's a couple of really good tonkatsu shops near akihabara

but yeah its a place you should probably go to if you know you want to go there

Gimme the tonkatsu places. I don't go to akiba much anymore and only with friends who wants to go there and I want options other than Mos Burger atm.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

ntan1 posted:

ya that's the one Im forgetting, go there.

Cool. Thanks Stringent and ntan.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
The only issue with getting a washlet is that you need a power source nearby for it. Some people just don't want to run some power extension cords around their bathrooms for it. Some for aesthetic reasons, others for safety.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Stringent posted:

I hear there's a bunch of that stuff in Ikebukuro too, but I don't know much about it. It's quite close to Shinjuku though.

Ikebukuro's nerd stuff are more geared towards girls and women, the country's biggest anime store Animate has their flagship store there. Ikebukuro also has the largest Chinese community in Tokyo outside of Yokohama, supposedly. I've been told Shinjuku has it beat.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

peanut posted:

fans of pretty boys and yaoi

Why do I feel that correction seems redundant...

Then again I only have surface level understanding of that nerd scene so that must be it.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

I've never been to a Japanese park, but generally the best way you avoid long ride lines at a theme park is by showing up a good while before the park opens - 15 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how crowded the park is going to be that day - and riding the most popular rides within the first couple hours. By the time the big crowds show up in the late morning through early afternoon, you should've gotten the high-priority stuff out of the way and spend the middle of the day relaxing. The last two hours of operation are also a good time to ride popular rides. If you plan things out, go on a lower-crowd day, and are willing to be flexible, I don't think you should need an express pass.

Here's a guide to planning your trip to USJ that seems pretty legit. It does recommend getting the express pass, but as I have said you may not need one.

Unless you're going to the last two hours of operation, or even want to risk it as there may be a chance you *could* miss out as well, then an express pass is essential unless you want to be in line for 1-2 hours for a ride. Even then the express ticket only gives you the option of picking the only 2 of the most popular rides there which you HAVE to be there in line in the express line at the specified time period. If you don't you will miss out and have to get in line with everyone else in the normal line.
If you're going by yourself rather than as a group you could possibly drop that waiting time to an hour or less for certain rides.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

xiw posted:

We went to USJ without an express pass, were at the gates 2 hrs in advance, the gates opened 30 minutes early, we sprinted straight to harry potter, and the line was only... 45 minutes. By midafternoon the lines for some stuff were at 220 minutes. This was a Sunday but still.

Got a lot of reading done! Also if you're willing to split up, the single rider line was often half the length and sometimes they put you next to each other anyway.

I was there in the middle of the working week so the wait times aren't as bad as the ones you noted. That said by the middle of the afternoon I noticed that 2 of the most popular rides, The Jurassic World and the Harry Potter one had a wait time of over 2 hours, and the single lines were practically the same, so be mindful of that. They were better in the morning though so if you want to do that do it then.

That said, we were so tired by the end of the day the group just wanted to head off an hour after sunset, didn't even want to wait for 2 more hours for the fireworks display.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah that’s the plan, I do need to know where the gently caress I’m going.

That's pretty much what I tend to do. Remember when a hole opened up and tried to swallow Hakata a few years back? I was there and a few people here blamed that one on me. I didn't get to join in on that fun until I got back from the trip a couple of weeks later as I only use the data for navigation and finding things to do and eat.

Although recent I found myself in pretty long train trips just round Tokyo there that had me pulling my phone out for some distractions. I just try and not make a habit of it.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
On my very first trip to Japan I travel with a friend who had to leave in the middle of a two week trip as something had come up he had to tend to. Not his fault, these thing just happen.

At the time I mulled over if I should follow him since we planned this together, but that lasted under a minute and proceeded to to have a blast by myself after seeing him off at the airport with the rest of my time there. As a bonus I got our shared hotel room to myself.

Back then I did not speak a word of Japanese let alone being able to read anything and it wasn't a big deal at all. What's wrong with people these days.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

geese posted:

General advice as a first-time tourist
-always wake up early in Kyoto. Just 30 minutes in the morning is the difference between peace and quiet at a popular shrine, and tour bus hell.

This I cannot state this enough. Couple of times I've gone to Kyoto with friends I had been adamant that we go early to miss the tour buses if we're going to shrines but for some reason they think 10am-12pm as 'early'. So of course we got stuck in the masses.

I love Kyoto but I'm almost as fed up of the crowds as the locals are nowadays. If I go with family and/or friends and they pull this on me again, I'll either strongly advise we do something else or I'm ditching them to do my own thing.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
For whatever reason for the past 4 years running my card has had problems at certain places too. Works fine at 7-Eleven, JP and some other places but Sofmap and one of the hotels just didn't work.
I called the card company and they pretty much says they don't see any problems from their end so I don't know what's up with that.

No fun making a round trip to JP's or 7-eleven's atm to pull a pile of cash out to hand over to the hotel's cashier. Or losing a discount cos I couldn't pay with my card at Sofmap.

Bet they still haven't sorted that out yet from the sound of things...

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Nanigans posted:

Rokurinsha tsukemen at Tokyo Station might be the best meal I've ever had. Rokurinsha ramen at Haneda airport...was very good airport food.

Their tsukemen at Haneda was Ok at best as well, though I haven't been to the Tokyo Station one.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Archer666 posted:

How is the Gundam store there? I went to the Gundam Cafe in Osaka Expo Park and that had a pretty awesome Neo Zeon soup/ramen bowl that I didn't buy but should have, so I'm looking to pick it up the next time I'm in Japan.

If you're a fan, you'd mainly there for the store exclusives kits. I'm not sure about the other merchandise like those you found at the cafe.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
APA isn't like it's the cheapest option around anyway, they used to be but not anymore for some reason. There are better options out there like the Toyoko Inns as mentioned before.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Well that's fine, it still takes much longer to check in at the airport though. Check out is much quicker, the only thing that's slows you down is waiting for your luggage if you have checked in luggage.

My trip to Okinawa and Osaka last year I was at the bus stop within 25 mins of leaving the plane. Same experience with Fukuoka and Hiroshima before that.

Though with the coming Olympic and increase traffic and security measures, that may not apply anymore.

Stumbling Block fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 29, 2020

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
So with what's happening in China at the moment, my friend who just got back from Nogoya and Tokyo noticed that there seem to be a distinct lack of the usual mass of chinese tourists in the usual tourist traps.
Anyone else seeing this?

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
From what I heard, a lot of countries didn't stop their airlines to and from China until recently when the WHO finally went, "welp...".

Basically my friend did say alot of the places like Akihabara is not as packed as it usually is and since he's kinda fluent in mandarin he didn't hear anyone using that around the past week he was there.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
I prefer Osakan style okonomiyaki though that's most likely due to it's the one I got introduced to first. It's also tend to be the most dense which makes it a real filling meal compared to the Hiroshima style ones I tried.
Yet to try the Tokyo style, which I've been told is more 'watery'.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Stringent posted:

Tokyo style, you mean monjayaki?

Possibly. Though I know a few years back large okonomiyaki style dishes was all the rage round Tokyo for a short while, though that may have just been a variation of that.
I never bothered to look into it as I tend to be running round trying out ramen, soba and abura soba dishes before everything else when I'm in Tokyo.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
I didn't have any problem with mayo on my food when I was eating my way up and down the length of Japan from Tokyo and Fukuoka and back again, until I saw mayo on a pizza. To hell with that.

Especially when that was paired with corn as well...

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

peanut posted:

gently caress off corn mayo pizza owns

Stringent posted:

it does yeah

hmm.. Ok, so what are your thoughts on pineapple on pizzas? Actually, does that turn up often in Japan?

Personally I don't mind it as it can create a contrast and build on other flavours.
Mayo + corn is just sweet + sweet that tips the food item from a savory dish to something that is more of a dessert.

Or is that the point?

teddust posted:

I recommend a day trip to Himeji. There is basically only the castle to see there but it's worth the trip.

There's also a garden next to the castle that's quite nice, though you may be too early for the sakura season and may be still too cold for much of anything to be blooming yet. May be more worth it when it gets warmer but something to keep in mind.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Stringent posted:

It's generally accompanied with some kind of salty meat or potato so you get the same sweet/salty contrast as you would with pineapple or we. It's not my favorite, but it's definitely not bad.

peanut posted:

I like pineapple on pizza but it's not often available here. Got to make it myself. (Stir fry and skewers too)

Ok, makes sense. Isn't cheese a bit of a pain to source for it? All the cheese I see in the supermarkets there are both too small and lacking in range while being too expensive for it to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
This is gonna do wonders for the upcoming olympic tourism...

Man, wish I could visit Kyoto now. It'd be just like as I knew it 10 years ago.
Unfortunately I've been there back to back for the past two years and can't really make it back there atleast for another 1-2 years.