Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Have the Yakuza streams been archived anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've been burning through TAZ recently and am up to Stolen Century.

Taako is the greatest and most powerful wizard of all imo

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am now totally caught up aside from the Flop House episodes and Amnesty.

Those live show episodes are all fantastic, but especially Tomb of Horrors and the company retreat. Commitment was eh.

I now hate Naturebox and Blue Apron.

Literally everything else on maximum fun sounds like the worst kind of daytime television line up.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Boy these flophouse episodes are

Bad

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Draxion posted:

The one with the McElroys and just Stuart Wellington is super good though, don't miss it.

It's one of my favorites.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Burnt through all of Amnesty while working today. MUUUUUUCH better than Commitment in setting, system, and characters. Would TOTALLY be on board for it as Season 2.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

the adds for all other MaxFun episodes make me absolutely certain I would hate all of them

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

please remember Tim Allen's very important, active internet forum, Tim Allen's Idea Exchange

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Seems like a step down from Amnesty, but more solid than Conviction.

Augustus is fantastic.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Amnesty is by far the best of the 3 they've done.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I haven’t listened to dust, but I thought amnesty was way better than commitment

That's because it was!

I get that people would be frustrated about the split party thing, but that party is by far the most interesting one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

I get the criticisms of Amnesty and agree with them to some degree but I also think Griffin handles exposition and storytelling much better than Clint or Travis, and I don’t mind listening to him telling a story. If they do Amnesty they just need to tweak the balance a bit.

Yeah this is p much where I'm at.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I dunno a lot of this just seems to come from the perspective of caring about these as games.... which I don't. The rules are there to give a bit of direction and framework but I'm here for Griffin's storytelling and the others' goofs. Yeah Amnesty has a lot of setup, but that ended up making it feel the most natural, it actually does feel like one of those shows. And, with the group truly made, any followup to it would obviously feature a lot more active interaction between the crew than the "pilot" did, which would take care of my main issue.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alaois posted:

read a book

let me get right on that while I'm working on the line, jackass

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pretty ho hum Dust episode. Augustus continues to be great but otherwise there's not a lot of interest.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alaois posted:

you like Rance

At one point, I did yes. Congrats on digging up ancient rap sheet poo poo like a huge weirdo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's less interesting than literally any balance arc besides MAYBE Suffering Game.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Like I don't really think it's fair to compare Travis doing a miniarc dry run to Griffin's full blown campaign work but I also can't conceive how you think it's BETTER.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Crocoswine posted:

a lot of people found the latter half of Balance to be comparatively very boring to the first half, as it focused more on the drama and story as opposed to the fart fart goofs that preceded it. If you didn't think that the story was actually all that good then it's easy to think Dust is more entertaining than said latter half.

Dust is loaded with that same kind of drama but with none of the earned buildup.

It feels like if Balance started on 11th Hour.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I fell like I'd be more into Dust if it actually felt like it was leaning into being a Western, rather than yet another story about how vampires and werewolves hate each other told through a fairly rote murder mystery.

I got worried as soon as I heard Travis was putting in urban supernatural elements, and this is exactly why. It ends becoming the same exact dumb power struggle with a Romeo and Juliet story at the middle.

yeah the vampire/werewolf stuff kind of undercuts everything in a weird way

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I mean a lot of that has to do with anchoring it means you have to deal with the fact that the old west loving sucked and there's a reason like 75% of westerns made since the 70's have been about that.

Sure, and Travis said as much, but at that point it feels like it'd be better to just... do another setting?

Like you CAN do an aesthetics-only old west thing but that's much easier to do in a medium with uh, visuals.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I feel bad for dumping on Commitment because what could you really expect of Clint's first go but MAN that thing was boring.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sadly, MBMBAM also referenced Rock-a-Doodle so it's clearly time to end it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aside from Secret of Nimh (which I rewatched a few years ago), I have a much clearer memory of 90s Bluth (i.e. what I actually grew up with) than I do 80s Bluth (which was being buried by sequels by the time I was a thing). I need to see American Tail again, at least.

I think I finally figured out why Dust is just not doing it for me: a lot of it feels so much like the Magnus Drama Hours segments from later in Balance, only Travis is doing it here without the buildup those had that made them work.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well that's that. Still very obviously inferior to amnesty, mostly because I don't think Travis can really put together a strong enough through line, but it did pick up a bit at the end, and it IS still better than the nothing that was commitment.

Curious about what Justin's arc will be.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yes what a thrilling role playing game it was too, especially the part where they did nearly nothing interesting for 3 episodes straight and the 4th episode had an NPC finish off the boss.

There were some bright spots like Gandy gambling and everything Augustus did but mostly it was pretty dire.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 23, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ariong posted:

I haven’t listened to the latest Dust (thanks for the spoilers btw) but I’m curious what exactly you’re looking for in this. What I’m looking for is a story created by four people woth one bringing the setting and the others instigating the action. Dust was great for that, because every event was a direct result of something the players decided to do.

With Amnesty, I don’t think the players’ actions had any effect on the story. That is, I think things would have played out the same way no matter what Justin, Travis, or Clint decided to do. In contrast to Balance, Commitment, and Dust, I can’t think of a single opportunity they had to alter the course of the story. The way I see it, that makes it one fourth as interesting at best.

EDIT: Let me make it clear that I’m not trying to debate you into a different opinion or say yours is wrong or anything. It’s just that I can’t think of anything that Amnesty did best out of all three mini-arcs, but if it is your favorite so far then you can. What is it? Combat?

It's everything. There is literally not one element that I don't think Amnesty didn't crush Dust in, and certainly Commitment. It had my favorite party, it had the most interesting fights (compare the finale of Amnesty to the finale of Dust or Commitment and it is quite obvious who is used to designing encounters and who isn't), and it had the best jokes. And that's what I want: a good story, with neat characters/setting with goofs and cool fights for color. Yes, it took quite awhile for the party to meet up... but as a result of that we actually got character development from all of them and it all came together in what felt like a more organic fashion. And if they continued Amnesty, that problem wouldn't exist since they're, ya know, a party now.

Like yeah, okay, Dust was more freeform, but few of the freeform events were actually very interesting, so why does that matter?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

The worst part of Dust was Travis trying to do a soft voice.

Not sure why but it made my neck tense up.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He... Talked.... So slow... For drama ... ... And ... It drove me ... ... ... ... Insane

EVERY TIME they went to that jail cell the DREAD set in.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I started listening to "Friends at the Table" since Griffin constantly says it's his favourite podcast, and goddamn the DM says "do you know what I mean?" so much it's driving me insane.

The DM, Austin Walker, straight up says you shouldn't listen to the first season for various reasons.

But I don't think it ever really overcomes that their more interested in obsessing over their own fiction vs entertaining.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It got extremely tiring, when I tried friends at the table, listening every time they stopped for half an hour to talk about how what they were doing with this character or that setting element was so mold breaking for X or Y reason.

It's the kind of thing where you are left with the impression that half the time they forget they are actually doing a show.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 29, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh thank god they made the right choice

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Alright I think this is convinced me to toss some $$$, you’re hyping it up too much.

Do I get to listen to the other TAZ bonus content from back in the day too? And can I just sub for a month and quit or are they gonna try and rope me into a commitment

it looks like you have to email them to cancel, which is annoying, but they have the past years up on the feed so there's that

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeesh

Didn't put the a material behind the paywall did they.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well Elementary was pretty bad, but going into the backlog both the origin story and the beach adventure were some proper Tres Horny Boys business.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Elementary is mostly just random noise, but the previous years' bonus episodes, from TAZ Nights to the Secret Beach Adventure are all quite good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Amnesty is better than Dust and far better than Commitment. It is good that it's the main thing and that returns to those weaker series will just be between main episodes. But also that the offweek system still lets people who were way into those get their fix in, between Adventure Zone proper.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 13, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dragon Friends is fun enough, it's just no TAZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'd accept it being like We Hate Movies: all ads at the start, so you can just pre-skip straight to the theme song and get all the content. None of this mid-roll horseshit.

Admittedly it's still better than SBFP, because unlike them, the McElroy's put music in the ad section so you can just hit the skip 30 seconds button until it goes away.