Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Anyone have a good collection of all the posters so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ok, at the risk of sounding really dumb, how are people able to access the poster stuff? I thought the expansion wasn't out until the 29th.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

How are cosmetic mods? I've been wanting to make my soldiers look more varied, but do the usual suspects still hold after the update?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Is there a single collection of the best propaganda posters made? I recall seeing some amusing ones earlier.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Is there a good gallery of the best propoganda posters?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Too spoopy for me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Is it a particularly bad thing if I finish missions without killing everyone? It's said the mission has failed, but I did counter the dark events.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Taffer posted:

Amazingly, I didn't encounter the assassin till the very end of my campaign, which was a stroke of luck because she's a beast compared to the other two, who are mostly a

Eh? But don't you always encounter her first?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Anyone else finding their mods aren't functioning correctly? When I try to load my game I get a bunch of warnings for all of them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Is it realistic to expect to be able to take out one of the Chosen pre-plasma tier on Legendary?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I feel I can advertise this now in the spirit of good cheer - in the International Voice Pack mod, I V.A.'d the Scottish English voice pack.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Merry Christmas, and well done voicing Sgt. Duncan Deadmeat. Does XCOM have a tartan?

Alas, I know of no tartan which incorporates black/teal/light blue in the pattern, but glad you enjoy it. The mind-controlled lines and psychic power lines were the most fun to record, and yet also the least Scottish. They were certainly the most hammy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Does anyone have recommendations for strategy in beating highest difficulty with a better ADVENT mod? There just seems to be too many enemies at too high a health pool and I have too few soldiers to deal with them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Jabor posted:

You are using a bigger-squad-size mod like ABA recommends, right?

Which one is that?

Edit: by that, I have a mod that has more squad size upgrades, but not larger starting squad sizes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Zore posted:

RoboJumper's Squad Select lets you bump up your starting squad in the in-game options menu. I use that.

OK, I must be as thick as a post, cause I'm not seeing how you increase the squad size. I see that there's supposed to be a 'Mod Select' option in the in-game option screen, but I'm not able to find it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Mod menu is its own mod that you'll need.

Thank you. Now I feel slightly less dumb.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Chosen do tend to ramble on, though. Makes me wish there was an "end communication" button you could use to cut them off mid-sentence, and they'd be all miffed and have a voice line about it next time you encounter them in a mission.

Dang it, that'd be fantastic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

BTW I tried that idle suppression thing? Kept causing my game to crash. Even when I deselected it in the mod screen, it kept happening, so I'm gonna have to re-install. Blah.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Bummer necromancer looked super cool, and yeah this is the list after I was able to get everything to launch.

E: Trying to set something up for a let's play, but I want to make sure I get a huge list of stuff.

Please choose the International Voice Pack and make a Scottish male soldier for a surprise!

Yours truly stars

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dang. I've either gotten some kind of a bug, or I am completely failing at this - I can't seem to add any weapon mods to my guys, even after researching hybrid materials.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah I have. I have also modded my game, I wonder if that's managed to remove it. How do you upgrade guns again?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

You're going to have to be a lot more specific about your mods

No, no. I'm just an idiot, n/m.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Vincent posted:

I didn't particularly liked the items.
I might be biased (read: salty) because of the whole kinda-sorta replaced vipers in my game.

Does Christopher Odd post his character pool somewhere? The characters people send him look very fun.

I'm just annoyed that none of the Scottish soldiers in his vids use the Scottish voice from the International Voice Pack mod.

:ssh: 'Cause that one is me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

Hello again thread just dropping in again to say that I still very much want XCOM 3, and also the number one thing I want from an XCOM 3 is more voices in different languages and an option to make characters have those voices (as appropriate) by default.

As someone who helped with the international voice pack mod, I agree.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Only just now learned that MOCX will auto-generate their own propoganda posters ala XCOM. Not a great endorsement of their efficacy

He killed 0 terrorists because he's obviously a member of the IRA!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rainbow Siege 6, X-Com style?

NICE!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Starting a petition to ask Mutons to keep the masks on, please.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Now for them to combine Disco Elysium and Chimera Squad to make the best game of all time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

A bit late to the party, but snek woman trailer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I may have missed something in the tutorial about lead missions, I'm in what I remember as the third day, and there's a purple mission that I can't access unless I get a 'Lead Mission'? But I thought they said purple deployments were needed to advance the story?

Also, snake racist, while racist, can also get the most non-lethal takedowns. Curious.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

He's made collections on Steam! Don't know how updated they are (were? Has he played recently?) but his page is here: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Beaglerush/myworkshopfiles/?section=collections&appid=268500

Yay, he uses the international voice pack (which I'm still proud of having done work for, cause I'm a dweebus)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

Tell me more about this voice pack. How 'complete' is it? Does it automatically assign people voices of the language of their nation?

Well, it's been a wee while since I last interacted with them, but it has full v.a.s for Russian and Polish, and some extra (they weren't complete when I did it, but they may be now) nationalities/English variants. I did full v.a. for Scottish male.

I think it automatically assigns appropriate voice packs? But I cannot recall.

Edit: I do get kinda annoyed in that I don't think I've found a single playthrough which has a soldier with my lines. I'm too lazy to reinstall xcom 2 to hear it myself.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 16, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

X Com Super Mario.

Oh wait.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

Griftlands

I agree with this.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

*Balls. They'd be a very big pair of balls.

My God, they took the Covid vaccine?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Is there a list of good mods to use to make the game more interesting? I'm wanting to try this again, with a bit of variation, but there are so many different mods I don't know what to go with.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

There is that new WH40K game out now that is the sequel to the WH40K game that was a skin-swap of XCOM back in the day - has anyone tried it?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

I'm only about half a dozen missions into it, but it seems pretty good so far. Huge differences from normal XCOM:
  • All attacks hit 100% of the time, for both you and enemies. Cover provides damage reduction from ranged attacks(50% for half cover, 100% for heavy cover). This, of course, is an enormous paradigm shift from how XCOM is played and completely changes how you approach things in numerous ways.
  • Your units have 3 AP instead of 2, and you're allowed to spend them completely freely - you can triple move, double move then shoot, triple shoot, shoot-move-shoot, etc; the amount of possible approaches on a given turn is pretty high.
  • There's a huge emphasis on melee; every one of your units has a melee attack, there's multiple melee weapons with different effects and stats, and melee completely ignores cover.
  • Enemy pod sizes are huge. Like "a pod of dudes will contain 6 to 10 guys that will all activate at once", and sometimes you'll be fighting more than one pod at once. There's a big emphasis on aggressiveness; you have a bunch of AoE abilities and are encouraged to go all out to clear enemies as fast and efficiently as possible with them, because while your dudes are more durable than XCOM guys(lovely basic enemy zombies will do 4 damage on a melee, your basic level marines have 13-15 HP), you REALLY want to minimize the amount of enemies that get to take an active turn against you or you'll get overwhelmed horribly. You really can't afford to take a passive approach from what I've noticed.
  • Missions are timed by the use of a "warp surge" mechanic - a meter fills up as you take turns(and when other stuff happens), and when it hits 100% it resets to 0 and something happens based on the conditions on the pre-mission screen, ranging from enemy reinforcements, enemies getting buffed, your guys getting buffed, AoE damage zones spawning around the field, and so on. It's not as harsh as "finish this mission in x turns or fail", but it definitely provides some forward pressure.

There's a lot of more specific changes and alterations from normal XCOM gameplay but these are the big ones that have stuck out to me so far.

e: Oh yeah, one major thing I forgot about : your units are NOT expendable. Your units absolutely can die permanently and getting new units is expensive and can only be done sometimes after successfully completing a mission. Units also have extensive and powerful skill trees so throwing rookies into the grinder is not how it's going to go here. I'm reasonably certain that it's quite easy to enter a failure state if you gently caress up really bad.

Neat! I saw a preview video which had a whole bunch of animation errors and I got very sad. But I'm glad to hear it's better than I feared!

The sound design did seem a bit lacking tho.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Moola posted:

The worst part of Chimera Squad is that you have to play as the cops

Ding ding ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

For my current playthrough I decided instead of making the usual posters for my troops, I'd take a different approach.

Tried going for a mugshot vibe with this one.

I did something similar, setting up scenes to look like the squad was in the midst of action while caught on CCTV and later distributed as wanted posters. It's fun!