Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Ulio posted:

Lol I doubt it I got Morg mid which is terrible if u want to win games. Ok if you just wanna perma push with 0 lane interactions.

Yeah I can see how an ungankable champ that can effortlessly push lane and then roam and get a pick with a 50 second root is bad for winning games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Vermain posted:

Morgana is definitely fine in mid, even if she's rather dull to play. She has solid waveclear with Soil, can set up a gank beautifully if she can land Q pre-6, and her ult gives her some nasty roaming potential (waddle down to bot lane, stand next to the duo, press R, you've won or gotten two free Flashes). The reason that people don't play her mid much is because she's mechanically uninteresting and can't pull off sick plays. She's just consistently good.

No, but see you're not actually allowed to do anything on Morgana mid except press W and then go wait under your tower.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

LegalPad posted:

I don't even know how it's possible to get higher than 60-65% winrate over a good number of games, like 75+.

Maybe it is more viable if you are playing ADC. As mid, I honestly feel like I could crush my lane every game and go 10/2 and still probably lose more than 1/3rd of my games just due to how volatile bot lane is. The real game is a competition between junglers to see who can tilt the enemy ADC fastest/hardest. At least at my elo.

Stop killing the other mid laner and go tilt bot yourself.

Action George fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 18, 2016

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Ulio posted:

I love seeing all these Dariuses top with Flash Ghost. Late game they are so useless because you can just push them and tp into their team if they are with their team you just take all their turrets.

Also I don't play top but how the gently caress does Darius with black cleaver only offensive item kill a Poppy stacking armor it makes 0 sense. I got autofilled top I killed him twice somehow before lvl6 but it didn't even matter I had bami's + chainvest he onlyhad a couple of longswords his ult destroyed my rear end.

Darius gets passive armor pen on his E and true damage on his ult. Being able to shred tanks is kind of his gimmick.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Orv posted:

Because there's nothing bads love more than continually standing in his Q to fight him. It's like a universal force; Darius is at 10% HP, jump him! Thirty seconds later, triple kill.

Ok, but if they're jumping on him for the kill then they're in range for his E. Heck, in this scenario colossus is probably better because it gives him a big shield when someone dives on him.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

having a long lane with 2 people at lower level, in a game where levels are worth so much

I dunno, I honestly think part of the problem is that ADCs rely on the multiplicative stats of their items, instead of levels, to scale to a much larger degree than any other role (and most of them want a BF Sword item early too on top of that.) Like if I fall behind on a tank, mage or support I can rely on the cc/base damage from skill levels and items that build from cheap components that I can go for so I can keep scaling somewhat, but if I'm, say, Cait and fall behind before I hit 1300g for a BF Sword I'm kind of screwed no matter what I do.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Spudalicious posted:

Tips for Malphite? What lane, what builds, what strategies?

I'm currently trying him in jungle but it feels weak and flimsy compared to lane Malphite, but then I have issues vs ranged champs that know to keep my passive off. I feel like he could be strong as support, but the early game until 6 would be very rough.

Play him top lane, go for sunfire cape first in most matchups, wait until 6 and then go bot and press R for a double kill. Repeat every time teleport is off cool down.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Addamere posted:

thinking about trying a gimmick for a few weeks where i willingly adc and try not to die and be really nice to my support

Ughh... trying to stay nice as an ADC in this meta... I hope you're the loving Buddha.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Sexpansion posted:

Shiphtur was talking about this on stream today, saying he would prefer most mages in the botlane as opposed to an ADC. Having an AP with damage and CC in the botlane actually makes a lot of sense, it allows you to have Yasuo/Zed/Riven stuff like that in solo lanes without destroying your damage balance. Ziggs is obviously the best version of this because of his tower pushing, but I think there are other mages you could do it successfully with.

There are currently enough Zigg's "ADC" games to list him as the highest win rate ADC on op.gg. Amusingly Warwick doesn't have enough games to be classified as a champ that exists in LoL currently.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Sexpansion posted:

I played like three games against Poppy and Hecarim and Camille last night and... League is just not very fun right now. I hate this meta.

On the plus side, Riot have nerfs for Poppy, Camille and xp from the first jungle clear lined up, and they want to look at whether ganking has increased and whether ADCs are feeling too much pressure because of it. So hey, in a few patches we can look forward to the unintended consequences of whatever changes they settle on to try and reconcile the fact that pro and solo queue games have different metas and balance requirements.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

not me man. i love league. league of legends? that is my poo poo right there. big fan.
As a top lane main :same:

quote:

anything riot can do to make the marksmen and women feel better is a change i welcome, unless it is done like poo poo and results in people playing top lane draven and mid ezreal, then i must draw the line.
Long term I think they're going to have to make changes that lead to picks like this being more viable. There are a variety of factors influencing the current state of bot lane, some of which can be altered without affecting ADCs, but I feel like there are underlying issues that people have been talking about for a couple years that they have to address sooner or later.

1. The annual change for change's sake jungle update favored champs with high early game pressure and ganking potential, so much so that Warwick, a quintessential "safe" solo queue jungler, is one of the worst junglers in the game and doesn't even get assigned as a jungler on op.gg's champ stats page because he's so non existent. They're making some jungle changes next patch that might help, but I'm not sure that with the way jungle functions right now will make slower paced junglers viable with just incremental buffs and nerfs.

2. The changes to turrets made to kill lane swaps in pro games makes it more valuable than ever for teams to repeatedly gank and dive bot lane. There are obvious changes they can make to discourage repeatedly pressuring bot lane, but how effective these changes are is going to depend on how strongly they want to enforce the standard lane meta professionally.

3. (Most) Tanks got a great new mastery and have access to cheap armor options with convenient upgrade paths. Pretty easy to adjust.

4. Repeated changes to AD itemization (not all of it aimed at ADCs) has stripped a lot of the early item power spikes from ADCs. They've stripped power from IE to avoid the scenario of first ADC to IE auto winning lane, but at the same time they've taken power from some of the alternate builds so that very few ADCs have a build path that doesn't involve a BF Sword first. Look at the default first item for Mage's by comparison - Morellonomicon. It builds from cheap, useful components, so that you basically can't be forced into a bad recall (the single biggest chunk of gold you need for it is 665g for the final combine) and you never feel at a huge power deficit or way behind on your build the way you do as a pickaxe versus BF sword adc. At the same time Morellonomicon provides raw damage, CDR, sustain, and a useful secondary stat that are all useful individually. Meanwhile the default ADC start (BF into either IE or zeal) has a a huge upfront gold cost, provides no sustain, a useful secondary effect and a hodgepodge of damage stats that need more stats on top of them to really be used to full effect. On top of all that if there's a tank in the game it's pretty much mandatory that you buy a Last Whisper as your third item, but the updated LW is better against late game tanks but a much smaller power spike against every other champ.

These itemization issues aren't all particularly new, and until they address them to give ADCs a more rewarding first item power spike on a build path that doesn't have the potential of trapping them into bad recalls where they lose lane because they backed with 1200g while their opponent backed with 1300g they're still going to be dealing with complaints from adcs. Unfortunately giving ADCs more powerful and more convenient early buys probably leads to more solo lane ADC picks. Hell, Corki is already one of the best mids in the game because he basically ignores all of the complaints about ADCs feeling anemic early game with a powerful and cheap first item, abilities that scale well from levels and an ability that provides high impact in early game fights even when behind.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Vermain posted:

This is a big issue that I'm genuinely surprised isn't being discussed more openly by the devs.

Well apparently the balance team went on vacation after the preseason changes and their first reaction to the current situation with ADCs was to blame the assassin update/lethality changes so I guess give it two months and they might get around to discussing the problems we're talking about now.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

They're totally right that it has to do with lethality, though. Every AD-scaling champ lost a shitload of damage now that the incredibly efficient armor pen is now the garbage lethality.

The arpen build wasn't the standard build for all ADCs though, unless I missed the Caitlin/Jinx Ghostblade first meta. You can't say that ADC doesn't have a problem with build paths/early game itemization just because a subset of them have a cheap and powerful first buy when an equally large subset still use the BF sword first build path (a build path that has been criticized since season 5), especially when two of the early spike champs are also two of the strongest late game carries, completely distorting the idea of balancing them based on their power curve.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Firebert posted:

Looks like Warwick got a new backstory for his rework

I'll believe it when I see it. I feel like they've been "reworking" Warwick for two seasons now.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

TheAnomaly posted:

or hell, item chat, if they made BF build out of a Pickaxe + sword combo?

I'd be pretty happy if they tried out this to see how it played out (they could do the same for NLR as it is). Honestly I've always wondered why they didn't bring offensive itemization into line with defensive itemization by making long sword/amp tome the only base level items and making the other one's upgrades from them. It'd go a long way to alleviating the issue of 1000g being a bad back for adcs.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

it's 100% Warwick, they said his rework would be out before the next new champ.

Given how long he's been slated for a rework I'm just going to take that to mean that we aren't getting a new champ until 2018.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

I'm not sure those Poppy nerfs mean that much in the greater scheme of things.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

well yeah. i am pretty sure that is 90% of the reason they added it, as to allow for top lane warwick

Err.... pretty sure it's so he has gank option pre 6 and a button to press in teamfights besides R.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

hence the 10%. math bro. numbers mean stuff.

Yeah, I'm saying you're wrong, and the guy whose entire kit and identity revolves around running really fast out of the jungle to jump on people is being designed exclusively with jungle in mind and will only end up in top lane by accident.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

there is no way riot did not think about top lane warwick at all when making the character. 0.1% chance. virtually impossible. people like to say riot is inept or bad at their job but there is no level of incompetence which results in a character being drafted and nobody bringing up his most successful historical lane at any point in the design process.

Yep, just like there's no level of incompetence that leads to them introducing a scaling on hit jungle item that has to be repeatedly nerfed and reworked because they forgot to account for the jungler who most heavily abuses on hit items.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

where as your teammate yasuo will... never hit R when someone else uses a knockup
You lost me here man. My team never picks Yasuo when the team comp has set up for him. They first pick instalock him and then bitch when the rest of your team doesn't build a Malphite/Gragas/Kallista/Alistar comp built entirely to make him look good.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

JerryLee posted:

In my experience, though, you can leave some of those unbanned and the chances that they'll get picked are much lower than the chances that an open Yasuo won't get picked.

As with any P/B consideration, I'm sure it depends on play level. I play around mid-silver, so.

The other thing is that there's so much stuff that's op right now just in top/jg that you can't ban it all out unless both teams use all of their bans on it. Like your team can ban Camille/shyv/Vi, which is great and all, but if the enemy team bans Hec/Rengar/Ziggs they first pick Poppy and you don't have an equally stupid shithead to pick top now cause you banned them out.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Maybe if they don't want assassins like Fizz and Ekko to be able to build tanky and still be effective maybe they shouldn't balance their kits such that they have so much base and %hp damage that they blow up squishes while building defensively?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Urthor posted:

Red side has zero bans in pro play currently which is completely toxic.

Red side arguably has the advantage in pick/ban right now even with the three auto bans because they effectively have one first pick and two last picks, as well as the ability to see 4 out of 5 lane match ups before picking their respective laner.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Alris posted:

Someone type up some words on where Master Yi and Kayle exist in the current metagame, thanks in advance.

Yi is trash in this early jungle pressure meta.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Sexpansion posted:

It will be interesting to see if they nerf Varus or if they just adjust lethality again. Probably the former, though.

You know that the real answer is that they'll nerf both Varuss and lethality on the same patch.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

Urf Skarner is an unkillable destroyer of worlds and I pray I never have to fight it

Leona gets that way too. The first few levels are a bit rough, but after that she can have her W up all of the time, perma root/stun people. You can put out pretty good damage if you get a Titanic Hydra/Sheen item too.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I'm glad they rescinded Nunu guys ban because if playing smite counter jungle Nunu support is bannable then obviously the next step is banning everyone who doesn't pick the highest win rate champ on champion.gg based on matchup.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

They're not even close to being the same thing tho

:thejoke:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Either let everyone play the game the way they want, or ban people for choosing champs with a sub 50% winrate. If im playing varus / jihn in 100% of the time then you shouldn't be allowed to ruin my game with your "main" champion, im tired of losing to meta picks because we had to go 5 ad and tankless.

I agree, if they're going to ban some for playing Nunu in the jungle as a support then they need to ban everyone who isn't playing the winningest top lane champ, Akali.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Addamere posted:

I get the feeling whenever someone suggests an alternate to 112J, they don't mean it as in matching Other Thing vs. Existing 112J; rather, they envision Other Thing vs. Other Thing, like how it's 112J vs. 112J right now.

They have that. It's called ARAM/Twisted Treeline/Dominion.

Snark aside, that would require both teams to agree to play that variant, which basically requires another queue and comes with its own set of issues.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
So Riot has stated that they want to make tanks durability more reliant on kit than items so of course on the PBE they're testing nerfs to Last Whisper's armor pen, giving tank items more armor and less hp and making Thornmail a component item that builds into Randuin's.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

To be somewhat fair when tanks aren't overbearingly strong they're about as fun to play as supps (if even that) and even in plat level queues you'll get teams where neither top or jung will play one. When you can't actually tank as a tank it's basically the worst feeling in the game, no mobility, no damage, dead before you can do any of the jobs you're supposed to do. Often times you're relegated to walking ult timer.

Oh sure, I'm not disputing any of that. I'm just struck by the impressively consistent disconnect between Riot's stated objectives and the actual results (see the League of Tanks during the assassin update.)

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

if gunblade didnt work towards procing thunderlords and or it didnt do fuckin 300 damage or whatever it would totally fix the issue, but it does both so rip

Or if it treated her passive empowered Q as an AOE on all targets so that she didn't have a 200 hp heal on 6 second cooldown that would help too.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Addamere posted:

why is a single item somehow the issue

i mean they took out all other spell vamp

Because she's an edge case where her primary wave clear pattern also counts as single target damage for a large chunk of the damage, giving her a vastly larger amount of sustain while clearing the wave than any other AOE wave clear.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Why did Morgana support fall out of favour? Hardly see it anymore unless I'm the one busting it out. You can build Redemption/Locket on her and that snare is still nasty.

She's just kind of limited and not that strong in trades.. She's still good at assisting/disengaging a gank, but she gets outtraded by a lot of lanes and the long cooldown on Black Shield leaves a lot of room to reengage if you don't play safe when it's down.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Servaetes posted:

There's no way that passive remains untouched, especially the part about minions do not affect it, goddamn. You have to wonder if they ever prepare for people using their reworks out of a lane they designed them to do. Doesn't seem it!

Riot: Unintended consequences? What the gently caress does that mean?

Rygar201 posted:

Does Riot still get all pissy about players using heroes in roles they weren't designed for?

No, they seem to mostly be okay with it and in some cases even want to encourage it (bot lane Ziggs for instance)

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Looking over the patch notes I think my favorite thing about it is the patented double nerf of "armor pen was too strong so we nerfed it and gave tanks more armor (also adcs will all buy guardian angels now. )"

Action George fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 4, 2017

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

misguided rage posted:

That seems incredibly questionable. I'm more inclined to believe that champion.gg is parsing something incorrectly, because not starting with any mana regen or bonus xp sounds like a great way to lose the game immediately.

It's just some Ivern main with an extremely practiced start skewing things. It's a 72 game sample out 55k games total. You see these things pop up on champion.gg, where one person with a cheese strategy pops up as the "best" build because of how they break things down. That's why op.gg tends to be better, because it gives a larger amount of info instead of just the very top performers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

I'd argue that you got to gold in spite of playing Jinx, you're probably just a good player.

She's almost never picked in high elo and literally never in competitive for a reason.

Solo queue is a different beast than challenger/pro play. There are lots of champs that are good at lower elo that are bad or non-existent in high level play and vice versa. Unless someone is skilled enough to actually be in the LCS it's bad to suggest they avoid a champ just because they're not picked by better players. They're going to do much better on a champ that they're comfortable with and know how to play instead of just mimicking the picks that better players favor.

• Locked thread